ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

On my best day I could not make the number of putts Tiger made in the 1st round. That was a pure putting clinic.

Japan golf fans and no cell phones is a decent way to watch golf.
EHpZy81UUAAbt2x.jpg

Tiger will be a fool if he let's his ego get the best of him and puts himself on the team instead of selecting Na as a Captain's pick. Guy is just playing too well and is a putting machine to leave off of the team.
Clearly I and many others look rather silly today. Did not think Tiger would be a legit threat as a Player/Captain based on the recent knee surgery and just not playing much the past several months. I think even he is a bit surprised how well he played the past 4 days, but he is going to play now.

Reactions: KRJ1975
Tiger is number 1, 1a, 1b, and 1c on the sports Mount Rushmore. It's unbelievable that he could come back from everything he has been through and continue to be this good. He dusted a very good field in Japan. There is no reason to think he won't be in contention in another few Masters, and he could easily sneak in an Open since the course setups are weird and he is a master at that type of stuff. 18 is not out of reach anymore.

Clearly I and many others look rather silly today. Did not think Tiger would be a legit threat as a Player/Captain based on the recent knee surgery and just not playing much the past several months. I think even he is a bit surprised how well he played the past 4 days, but he is going to play now.

I'd agree with that. I watched the Skins game last Sunday and nothing suggested he had this kind of blitz in him.

He's still the best iron player in the world. It all comes down to putting. He will probably run hot and cold but man, this is like a free gift to golf fans.

Since that video of him limping 2 weeks after The Masters surfaced he had not played well at all. Looked exactly like the guy who won the Tour Championship and The Masters again this weekend. His body is so banged up, but when it's right he is the same old Tiger. How long can he hold onto it this time?

Last edited:
How will the College Golfer under the NCAA latest announcement be able to benefit from that ruling and stay within the guidelines of the USGA?

Amateur Status w/ regards to the USGA refers to playing for/accepting money for results on the course, not making money at life. If I take 1K (cash) in the GoatRanch Invitational, I would technically be forfeiting my amateur status if someone wanted to really pursue that.

But if I sold BBdK Tshirts in the Pro Shop (guaranteed cash cow) it wouldn't affect anything. At least, that's how I would interpret the rule.

I don't think the USGA gives a touch about any of that kinda stuff, only the NCAA, but I could be wrong.

If I read that article right, the tee shirts would be a violation of USGA rules. No more Eli Barron for you. :smiley:

I know that. Looks like the NCAA made a decision without giving much thought to the consequences especially when it comes to golf.

Well if it is a cash game, WTF cares ? Pocket the cash and move along. Not like it can be traced. I don't think the USGA or NCAA is going to be reading THE Messenger after the tourney every year and see if a amateur won and pocketed cash for it. I mean, it is freaking Madisonville, KY.

Mickelson dropped out of top 50 for first time since 1993. Mind blowing stat.

What number do you rank him all time?

Mickelson dropped out of top 50 for first time since 1993. Mind blowing stat.

What number do you rank him all time?

10-15 is about right.

A bit OT, but where would you rank McIlroy right now if he was killed in an accident like Payne Stewart? Has almost as many majors as Phil, in a lot less time (20 years).

Around 10th give or take a spot but with that said I have never been a fan. I don't know why but I picture in my mind that he is the guy that the Shooter McGavin character was modeled after.

Phil been in top 50 for nearly 26 years, five majors 40+ tournament wins, obvious HOF member, but until this AM I did not know the following:

He has never been ranked no. 1 in the world
He has never won the money title
He has never been the PGA player of the year

Phil been in top 50 for nearly 26 years, five majors 40+ tournament wins, obvious HOF member, but until this AM I did not know the following:

He has never been ranked no. 1 in the world
He has never won the money title
He has never been the PGA player of the year

I don't put much stock in that world ranking stat. Luke Donald, Martin Kaymer, and Lee Westwood have all held the #1 ranking. At no point did any of those guys scream "I'm the best player in the world."

Do you address the ball with a square, open or closed club face? I play with a guy and he is right handed and has his club face pointed to the left of the fairway and still slices the ball like hot butter. I can't imagine how bad his slice would be if he had a square club face at address.

Do you address the ball with a square, open or closed club face? I play with a guy and he is right handed and has his club face pointed to the left of the fairway and still slices the ball like hot butter. I can't imagine how bad his slice would be if he had a square club face at address.

I play a pronounced draw with my long irons, and a mild draw with my woods and short irons. I've never taken a lesson or anything, but I'm assuming this is because my face is slightly closed at address.

How the club sits at address has absolutely nothing to do with what the golf ball does.

I can't totally be on board with that. A closed or open face at address makes it more likely that it will retain that disposition through impact.

I did misspeak in my post though - I meant to say that I assume my face is slightly closed at impact, not address. I address the ball squarely.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
I was thinking that’s what u meant, as that (among other things) has a lot to do with what the ball actually does lol.

Who is tiger picking tonight?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT