ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

After that debacle by the Cats last night went out and took it out on the course for a smooth 75 this morning. Best round of the year. Maybe I should post and play at the same time more often.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Midnight (eastern time) start on 10/20 for the skins game w/ brokeback, Hideki, Day and Rory. Ouch.

Just ordered the new Mizuno MP20's. F'n expensive but gorgeous club and striped the ball the whole time during the fitting session. Could work the ball anyway I wanted to on command. Got the Aerotech SteelFiber i95 shafts. Went with the MP 20 6-P and the MP 20 HMB 4-5. Incredible awesome new line of irons that are perfect for blending.

Fitting wise, only complaint is Mizuno only gave my fitter a 7 iron head. He is one of their top fitters in the country so thought that was BS.

Did try the new Titleist MB's and Calloway Apex Blades. Great irons but the MP-20's offer more forgiveness but still look like a blade iron.

FYI, the shafts added about 4-5 MPH to my swing speed (was using Trackman so it was very accurate). Hovered around 85mph with my current 7 iron/ TP 110 Tour Shaft and got to 90mph many times with the Aerotech shaft and very accurate. Fitter did not tell me what shafts he gave me to test so no idea what I was hitting. Tried 5 different ones and the performance of the Aerotechs are outstanding. Of course, there was an uncharge for the SteelFiber shafts. Guess you get what you pay for. A lot of tour pros have won with them so they are legit.

Highly encourage testing these irons but beware. You may end up spending entirely too much money on them like I did but I think it will be worth it.

Just ordered the new Mizuno MP20's. F'n expensive but gorgeous club and striped the ball the whole time during the fitting session. Could work the ball anyway I wanted to on command. Got the Aerotech SteelFiber i95 shafts. Went with the MP 20 6-P and the MP 20 HMB 4-5. Incredible awesome new line of irons that are perfect for blending.

Such a good looking club. I still haven't taken the time to get fit for anything new yet. May end up going to one of the Club Champion locations in Atlanta for a fitting as I don't really want to be limited on hitting just one club (7i) and the fewer shaft options.

Blended sets seem to be more and more popular and I'm definitely intrigued by going that route. Don't think I'd go with the MP-20 blade anywhere though, more likely a MMC and HMB combo if I go with Mizuno. Not that it really matters, but what's your handicap?

Such a good looking club. I still haven't taken the time to get fit for anything new yet. May end up going to one of the Club Champion locations in Atlanta for a fitting as I don't really want to be limited on hitting just one club (7i) and the fewer shaft options.

Blended sets seem to be more and more popular and I'm definitely intrigued by going that route. Don't think I'd go with the MP-20 blade anywhere though, more likely a MMC and HMB combo if I go with Mizuno. Not that it really matters, but what's your handicap?
Club Champion is a very good fitter. My only gripe with them is that it's all indoor. I am big on being able to hit outside and on grass which my fitter allows. Can see the actual ball flight along with the Trackman numbers.

Keep in mind no matter who the fitter is, Mizuno lacks in the amount of irons they give all fitters. One of their shortfalls. CC may only have the 7iron as well. You will have to ask before you go. One of their positives, Mizuno allows you to pick many different shaft options at no extra charge unlike Titleist and others who charge more. So happens the one I picked is one of the most expensive hence the up charge. Being honest, the MMC's just do not make much sense to me but I am sure there is a market for it. No idea how good of a ball striker you are but you will be surprised how well you may hit the MP's. May be just 8-P, but you will notice a significant difference in the feel when you flush a hit. HMB's are perfect if you need more forgiveness and do not want a chunky look at address. I tried them against the Taylormade P-790 which has a similar look. TM went further but I could not work the ball as well as I could with the HMB.

HC is currently 8 because of inconsistent strikes/yardages with the irons which I am hoping this fixes. Ball flight is too low so a lot of times I hit a great strike and the ball hits the green and rolls off causing more chips, etc. which I have lost some touch on. New irons and shafts are high launching and adds a little more spin which will help stop the ball quicker on greens. Driver is normally an issue for me but actually hitting it well now. Like to get down to a 5 but doubt I can play enough to get there.

I use the Golf Pride MCC Plus 4, whoever was asking about grips. They have cords under the glove hand and soft for the non-glove hand. They are a bit thicker on the bottom half too. They also have a lot of visual cues for consistent hand placement.

Those MP-20's are beautiful clubs. The HMB model is very intriguing.

I just got fit for the new Titleist T-series. T200 in 7-PW and T300 in 4-6. I won a trip.and free irons on a golf board I post on. Get to meet and play with some Titleist folks in return for reviewing the new irons on the board.

Back from our Fairfield Golf trip, organized by @parrott

Dorchester - 18
Druid Hills - 36
Lake Tansi - 36 (meh)
Heatherhurst Brae - 18

Such a great trip - only negative is that it's green punching season down there during our dates, so we aren't always able to play the best of the bunch, depending on which greens are covered in sand.

Pretty much played like garbage for 80% of the time, I'll put that on not really playing since football kicked off. Such a cool area down there & a helluva deal & setup for an easy golf trip. Can't wait for next year.

-Playing my 1st Osborne Cup @ Hurstbourne CC next week, which will conclude my golf season, save a few random fall casual rounds.

Reactions: parrott and cole854
Brae is definitely my favorite. Stonehenge is next, and probably the 'best' course - played like an asshole there last year (and it rained), so probably skewed my view a bit.

I enjoy them all though, and most of them are pretty similar. Each have a few 'wow' holes. It's just great/fun golf all around.

Was my first time playing Druid. #14 on the back is incredible with the waterfall and mountain views for as far as you can see.

-Also, I've said it before, but if you aren't using Golf Genius for your golf trips you're really missing out.

Last edited:
^ Thinking about moving it back one week next year - first w/e in Oct. that will bring all the courses into play including Stonehenge - which you’ve played - and Heatherhust Crag which you haven’t.

Crag has an ‘oh wow’ and ‘oh shit’ on the same hole (17).

To echo dK’s thoughts on Golf Genius, i’ve been using it on our trip for the last 10 years and it’s a huge timesaver - especially if you have a lot games going at once. Mobile entry, leaderboard and they’re always improving the all. Can Not be beat. Great support staff as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: B.B.d.K.
^ October would be perfect for me, September is such a busy month, both at work & w/ the travel schedule b/c we always take a big anniversary trip. Also, better chance at getting some fringe (at least) Fall Weather.

Reactions: parrott
Kentucky golf to beach golf (bermuda/hybrid) back to Kentucky golf definitely is a change, but carded my best 9 of the year (41) last Saturday w/ Cawood. All in all one of the best ball striking days in months, especially after being the first round back from FL. Funny game.

And put your $$ on cawood to win the senior division of the city next year...turns 5-0 in the spring but he's playing better now than when we first started playing together 9 years ago.

Jr won the 2001 Firecracker 400 in July the next race at Daytona after his Father died. That was definitely a gift. Ward Burton won the 2002 Daytona 500.

He not only won the race but was the only car I have witnessed pull out by himself and pass a line of cars during a restrictor plate race without help. I still think he had a bigger restrictor plate than everyone else did that night.

I saw on Twitter a few months ago someone else said the same thing on a Tweet and Dale Jr actually commented saying NASCAR wouldn't risk it's reputation to fix a race. I am not convinced though because they have done other things to manipulate races like cautions for mysterious debris.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT