ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Barbasol notes….

~Excellent event for first year. A few changes needed from the organizational side but the players were pleased overall considering the weather leading up to the event and the rain disaster.

~Course held up pretty well for the most part, and the rough was thick.

~Worked 13 green/14 tee first day, and then 14 green/15 tee Fri/Sat. Most players were very cordial.

~Top driver brands in order of use...TM, Ping, Callaway, Titleist.

~Interesting to see the number of tour stand bags versus the typical monster bags.

~Some great young talent in the field and will be interesting to see how they do in the next couple of years.

~Brittany was a treat and had the biggest gallery on Sat when she finished her 2nd round. For 5’9 and about 160, standing next to her and watching her striping it 270 was fun to watch.

~Only saw a few guys go 360 so the Doc can rest easy.

I happened to be right next to her when she eagled 17, was a terrific moment

I happened to be right next to her when she eagled 17, was a terrific moment

We heard the noise from 15...figured at that time she had done something special.

Shot of the tourney for me was Two Gloves on 14 hitting a 5W 252 yds to 3 inches. Damnedest shot I have ever witnessed. I was heading back down the fairway from lunch and the shot link guys were right there and told me his distance. Looked like a wedge falling out of the sky when it hit the green.

Made sense to do it. For being a major, it needed to be elevated a bit so moving it up the schedule will help.
How? I think the timing is worse.

At least being the last major of the year gave the PGA something that none of the other majors had, that's the urgency of being the last chance to grab one. Now that's even gone.

Francesco must have rolled it everywhere to not make a bogey all weekend. If Tiger could have rolled the chip that lead to the double he gets up and down and wins more than likely. Those dudes at champions would shoot -30 if they didn’t have to worry about the rough. But yea, playing it up everywhere in a tournament is no big deal at all.

The point isn't whether it's a big deal etc etc. The point is that it isn't a big enough deal to refuse to play in a local, pretty meaningless, tournament because of it. You are appear to be the only one that thinks it is. I'm mainly just surprised that something like playing the ball up has you so triggered.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
How? I think the timing is worse.

At least being the last major of the year gave the PGA something that none of the other majors had, that's the urgency of being the last chance to grab one. Now that's even gone.

You're overthinking this BIG TIME. It's the PGA Championship, the deepest field in Golf, and a Major.

Hope they have enough guys sign up to play! [eyeroll]

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
You're overthinking this BIG TIME. It's the PGA Championship, the deepest field in Golf, and a Major.

Hope they have enough guys sign up to play! [eyeroll]
I’m not overthinking anything, just stating my opinion that it’s a dumb move and I don’t see the necessity for it.

But whatever, I’m a golf nut so I’ll watch regardless.

Cole, I probably spoke to you on Saturday, I was on 14 (members #5) for two or three groups (one I remember was Silverman just cleared the creek in 2, made a meh chip, but made the putt anyway for birdie). Thanks for your help, appreciate the good work.

Got to watch the finish of the Barbasol today. Walked in just in time to see Davis Love double 13 and bogey 14. Lovelady got to 17 green in two today with a breeze in his face. Unreal. Mahan was big time frustrated. Threw his ball in the water at 17.

Man the guys hit the ball a friggin mile. Members get to play from today's tee's and pins on Saturday.

Course looked great but the rain definitely made the place muddy. I hope by next year they triple the size of the walkway coming into the course. Only suggestion I would have.

Reactions: GrandePdre
I watch at least some of every single PGA tournament. I love golf as much as I do Horseracing. That being said, I don't like the British Open nearly as much as the other 3 majors. I rank them in this order:

1. U.S. Open. Much more coverage and I love the fact that bad shots get penalized.

2. The Masters...I love the beauty of the course and the crazy greens. I don't like the fact that bad tee shots don't really get penalized much though.

3. PGA Championship..I like the fact that too 100 players get in, and they usually have great venues.
I went to Quail Hollow last year and I'm going to Bellerive this year.

4. British Open..,I just think the courses are a bit ugly, and the bounces have too much luck involved.

I was at Murifield in 2013 when Phil won, and it was a good time. I will also be at St Andrews next year. Maybe I like that a lot better.

Ryder Cup team:
Phil
Tiger
Spieth
Fowler
Watson
Thomas
Reed
Johnson
DeChambeau
Koepka
Simpson
?

Tiger in based on your opinion? I think he makes it but it's not a for sure thing, is it?
Done. He will be one of first 3 picks. Furyk wants him on team and now that he’s moved up more he will pick him of first three. He won’t let a possible bad finish at TC to have momentum swing for another guy. He’s either on team with a W or a first 3 pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: treuxbleux
And the top 8 for Europe right now:

European Points

1. Francesco Molinari
2. Justin Rose
3. Tyrrell Hatton
4. Tommy Fleetwood

World Points

1. Jon Rahm
2. Alex Noren
3. Rory McIlroy
4. Paul Casey

Which means here's the Wild Card options:

Thorbjorn Olesen
Russell Knox
Eddie Pepperell
Matthew Fitzpatrick
Sergio Garcia
Ian Poulter

Simpson wins 5th major this year impressively, 11th in Fed Ex Cup, Top 20 in all 3 majors,8th currently on Ryder list,6top tens, past Ryder Cupper, 21st in world rankings, past US Open champion.

Lock.

You won’t be warching and hopefully you won’t be posting.
What are their Ryder Cup records? Awful. You want American team to lose just so Tiger and Phil get to play? Awful take you have there. And I won’t stop posting.

- Was on Shotlink on the 16th green Friday and Sunday. We had to stay late both days after the course was evacuated but it still was a really cool experience and definitely something I'd do again.

- Each time we got taken off the course during the delays it was in one of the player courtesy cars near the 16th tee. Rode back once with Olin Brown and his caddie to the clubhouse. Seemed like a cool, older guy that just keeps grinding out there. He was not pleased with being sent back out there for 11 minutes and then having the horn blow again.

- Only negative experience my group had with anyone was with Nicholas Lindheim (which seemed like a pattern with other volunteers). The delays were frustrating for everyone but he really wasn't happy.

A few stories from the caddie shack. I was co-chair of the caddie services committee. Which means I saw little golf but lots of caddies as I spent about 50 hours in the converted cart garage last week.

Caddies are an interesting and colorful bunch.

One caddie showed up to register Monday morning only to find out his player had withdrawn. His player told him but he was already en route. He hustled for 3 days and found a bag and hopefully made enough money to cover his expenses for the week.

Only channel caddies needed for the tv was the golf channel especially once the British Open started. They watched casually when it was on until Tiger was hitting, then they all watched intently. He still moves the needle even in the golf world.

I never realized the amount of volunteers and sheer work needed to put on a PGA event. I honestly don’t see how they could have an event without them.

Great first year for the event and well run especially considering the horrendous weather. Brooks and his crew will get it better next year.

A few things I noticed from being up close and personal this week at the tourney. I probably have noticed, but haven't paid attention, and especially since I am not even close to the gyero golf elite.

~majority of guys have 1/2 to 3/4 of the ball above the clubhead at address w/ the driver.

~after watching a half a dozen or so putts missed on 13 green Friday from a similar spot about 20 ft away (they were all missing low on a tough left to right break) I had a chance between groups to venture down to the green and look at what they were seeing. Pretty amazing how they read greens and what they "think" they see and how they all read the same putt. I wanted to holler and tell the next person in that area that it needs to be played higher, lol.

~more hybrids in the bags now

~Young player to watch....John Oda.

~The more you know...Billy Hurley III...his resume is stout. From wiki:

Hurley is a 2004 graduate of the United States Naval Academy, where he earned a bachelor's degree in Quantitative Economics.[5] He also was named Academic All-American.[2]

He was commissioned an Ensign in the United States Navy in 2004, rising to the rank of Lieutenant and serving until July 2009.[6] After his graduation from the academy, he was assigned to the USS Gettysburg, a guided-missile cruiser based in Mayport, Florida, where he was a combat electronic division officer.[3] He then taught economics for two years at the Naval Academy. From 2007 to 2009, he served a tour of duty in the Persian Gulf aboard the destroyer USS Chung-Hoon.[7]

ADVERTISEMENT