ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Tour schedule released:

DhvhZ_cU8AAOGEN

Reactions: treuxbleux
Heard "Go Down Swinging", the Jean Van De Velde story, was worth a watch. Recorded it today, anyone catch it? My memory was that it was an epic choke, but it may be more bad luck. Discuss.

Barbasol has a very good field, and judging by rope placements yesterday, it will be a good tourney to see the action up close.

Hey Tsk....why the switch on the nines to close w/ the par 3? The fairways looked a tad thin on some holes, but the course overall was in great shape considering the lack of rain. I know Brooks is not happy w/ the current ticket sales, so hopefully that picks up this week. Still, extended to 5 yrs now.

Also, that will be one helluva walk between 9 green and 10 tee.

TV asked them to switch 9s, because not much room on 18 for stands. I think most sales will be walk up, at least I hope so

So played 3 times last week. Followed up an 85 on Monday with a 37 (best 9 ever) Thursday evening, and then a 94 on Saturday.

Love this game.

-80/71 for me in our Invitational. Saturday was one of those days, couldn't do anything right. Was pleased to finally get back in the Red in a tournament on Sunday, had been awhile -- living on a course where I can practice/play 5 days per week finally paying off? Then again, probably shoot 39 in league tomorrow from the whites. [eyeroll] /golf

-Undecided on Barbasol, if I go it will likely be a last-minute/walkup deal. Troy Merritt, Wes Bryan, Stephen Jaeger are my picks.

-Tub, how did you finish in the City?

-Need (want) a new driver -- looking at '17 models, haven't hit any of them. TaylorMade is out, and I've never liked Titleist drivers, so I guess that leaves Ping, Callaway, Cobra, & Mizuno?

-My Open Sheet: (in a regular locally-run Majors pool for the last decade that has 2,500 entries, and a $50,000 pot [laughing])

A. DJ
B. Fowler
C. Knox
D. Alphbarnat

-Hyperflex on the way, online for $99.

footjoy-hyperflex-golf-shoes.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cawoodsct
WD after finding out they were playing it UP the first day. That’s not golf and shows how terrible the city’s new management is. Great job Curtis/Chris.

You withdrew because they were playing it up? It's not that uncommon. I played quite a few college tournaments up, and the PGA has even done it for certain course conditions. I will give you that Lakeside is a goat ranch right now (that's why they had to play it up, as it was unfit to play down), but that's no reason to WD.

WD after finding out they were playing it UP the first day. That’s not golf and shows how terrible the city’s new management is. Great job Curtis/Chris.
UP as in the tees were moved up? What does that have to do with anything? You gonna play the tips when you are 65?

UP as in the tees were moved up? What does that have to do with anything? You gonna play the tips when you are 65?

No. It means being able to move the ball and improve your lie.

It made some sense. Lakeside is in bad shape and just doesn't have much grass (or at least didn't last week before this rain, might have improved slightly from it but doubtful). It happens. Usually, like when the PGA has done it, it's due to really wet conditions, but this was the opposite scenario.

Lift clean and place, up in the fairway, those are fine. But up everywhere in a tournament? Gtfo

I was surprised by that too, as it's usually fairway only. But man, that whole course was in bad shape so I get it.

And like someone said, if you didn't play because they were playing it up that's just dumb. It's just golf man. Not some crusade for some higher philosophical opinion on the game of golf in general. I mean heck, do you get up and walk out of restaurants if they don't place the silverware in the correct order or something?

Anyone else shocked that the pros are making the Champions look like a crazy easy course. I mean I know those guys are good, but Merritt shot a course record Thursday, and a guy was like -8 through 12 or something today. Making that course look so much easier than I always thought it was. But they just hit it so long and hit so many fairways they're playing a different course out there than I used to. Lol.

They should’ve played it up everywhere in the open, why penalize somebody for hitting it off the map? Let’s make it enjoyable for everybody.

Anyone else shocked that the pros are making the Champions look like a crazy easy course. I mean I know those guys are good, but Merritt shot a course record Thursday, and a guy was like -8 through 12 or something today. Making that course look so much easier than I always thought it was. But they just hit it so long and hit so many fairways they're playing a different course out there than I used to. Lol.

Played lift clean and place all 4 rounds which doesn't hurt, but some of those guys hit it stupid long which really helps as well

I've tried to watch The Barbasol some but didn't last long. Zero buzz. I assume the weather killed everything about it?

Madisonville Country Club or whatever it’s called now, are the putting green and number 9 green just isolated cases or are the rest of the greens in that bad of shape?

I've tried to watch The Barbasol some but didn't last long. Zero buzz. I assume the weather killed everything about it?
Watched some on tv. Attendance appeared to be low and not much excitement. Sure weather did not help but can’t imagine the Barbasol folks are very thrilled with the venue.

Reactions: UK_Dallas
Watched some on tv. Attendance appeared to be low and not much excitement. Sure weather did not help but can’t imagine the Barbasol folks are very thrilled with the venue.

The rain was a killer, period. It wouldn't stop, and when it did, it took forever for the grounds crews to get the course ready for play, and by that time, it would be raining again. The venue is fine, although they will be better prepared for it next year.

Francesco must have rolled it everywhere to not make a bogey all weekend. If Tiger could have rolled the chip that lead to the double he gets up and down and wins more than likely. Those dudes at champions would shoot -30 if they didn’t have to worry about the rough. But yea, playing it up everywhere in a tournament is no big deal at all.

The rain was a killer, period. It wouldn't stop, and when it did, it took forever for the grounds crews to get the course ready for play, and by that time, it would be raining again. The venue is fine, although they will be better prepared for it next year.

TV is only getting the last few groups of the day, at least they did on Thursday, and most of the spectators had gone home. Before that, they had a pretty good crowed, then there were literally 3 times as many in attendance on Saturday, I think it went well for the first year, until the weather killed it.

Reactions: GrandePdre
I was listening to a golf podcast and they made mention that the PGA was moving to May. I had forgotten that. What a terrible idea. The one thing that championship has going for it is that it’s the last chance to grab a major...now, it will just feel like some regular event between the Masters and US Open. Not to mention all majors are done by mid-July.

I don’t get it.

I was listening to a golf podcast and they made mention that the PGA was moving to May. I had forgotten that. What a terrible idea. The one thing that championship has going for it is that it’s the last chance to grab a major...now, it will just feel like some regular event between the Masters and US Open. Not to mention all majors are done by mid-July.

I don’t get it.
Olympics played a big role
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-were-moving-the-pga-to-may

Reactions: treuxbleux

I don’t get it.
They are trying to shift everything up to get away from competing against football.

I don’t get it.
Made sense to do it. For being a major, it needed to be elevated a bit so moving it up the schedule will help. Also, is all about putting the FedEx Cup playoff in the spotlight all of August before football starts. Think they have gotten smarter with the scheduling except they should wait a month after the FedEx playoff is over before starting the new season.

As for the Barbosal, solid leaderboard today. If I lived in the area I would have gone. Good quality players in the field. Hope they get better weather next year.

I was there yesterday but did not even get on the bus because play was suspended = real bummer. Based on what I saw on the PGA Tour website, it was a terrific finish, at one point 7 players within 2 shots of the lead with just a few holes to play.

That being said, Merritt deserved to win, opened with the course record and pretty much led wire to wire. Sucks for Hunter Mahan who somehow managed to bogey both par 5s on the back nine, when everyone else was killing them.

Barbasol notes….

~Excellent event for first year. A few changes needed from the organizational side but the players were pleased overall considering the weather leading up to the event and the rain disaster.

~Course held up pretty well for the most part, and the rough was thick.

~Worked 13 green/14 tee first day, and then 14 green/15 tee Fri/Sat. Most players were very cordial.

~Top driver brands in order of use...TM, Ping, Callaway, Titleist.

~Interesting to see the number of tour stand bags versus the typical monster bags.

~Some great young talent in the field and will be interesting to see how they do in the next couple of years.

~Brittany was a treat and had the biggest gallery on Sat when she finished her 2nd round. For 5’9 and about 160, standing next to her and watching her striping it 270 was fun to watch.

~Only saw a few guys go 360 so the Doc can rest easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT