ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

54 holes, teams, no cut, no qualifying, no historical value, etc. Does anyone remember the course that the first event was played on? Was their any final round drama?

This entire LIV scam is 100% money grab....nothing more. They travel around, play nice courses, get a lot of money.....end of story. Their names are not etched alongside that of Jack, Arnie, Watson, etc. They aren't playing for their dream of being one of the top 125 that gets a tour card.

If money is all there is for these guys, then so be it. Guess what....someone else just took their spot, and their will be new up and comers who value what hard work does vs. having things just given to them. Give me 125 players starting at Torrey Pines who are all trying for their first win over any LIV field.
I don't get why people are mad these guys are going to the LIV tour for the money. Why do you work your job? For the money! Would you take another job that pays you more and you have to work less over your current job? Yes you would. As Harold Varner said in his statement he put out, it was the kind of money that can ensure his kids, grandkids and other future generations of Varner's don't have to grow up impoverished like he did and yet some people are ticked off because he won't etch his name in the golf annals of time. SMH

And now when people are looking back at his older scorecards- its been going on for years. He apparently holed out from 282 for an albatross and has 3-4 aces on par-4s. lol.
From his University of Minnesota profile.... sounds like he isn't even a good cheater. 🤣

2021-22 (Junior): Moroz competed in three rounds during the 2021-22 season...He held a 102.0 average, with a low round of 94.

I don't get why people are mad these guys are going to the LIV tour for the money. Why do you work your job? For the money! Would you take another job that pays you more and you have to work less over your current job? Yes you would. As Harold Varner said in his statement he put out, it was the kind of money that can ensure his kids, grandkids and other future generations of Varner's don't have to grow up impoverished like he did and yet some people are ticked off because he won't etch his name in the golf annals of time. SMH

Guess what....they won't be working less next year.

HV3 was already a millionaire a few times over. His kids/grandkids were going to be just fine.

The "job" analogy you posted doesn't hold water. For one, the "job/career" they chose on the PGA Tour requires hours upon hours of practice, workouts, etc. Again....they "chose" this. They "wanted" to be one of the best to play the game. They wanted to have their names alongside the best ever.

And as I stated before...LIV is nothing more than a money grab. The players sold out....they essentially threw away all they worked for. The better analogy is the baseball steroid era...those who took shortcuts to be a better player.

Am I ticked off? Yeah...golf is the second best sport in the world, imo, and I value its history and how it has changed the lives of many. LIV is trying to piss all over Bobby Jones, Jack, Arnie, Tiger, etc. They have influenced so many....not only to take up the game, but to be better people.

Reactions: bigbluedon

I can sort of see Varner's point (if you overlook his $10.5M career earnings, and $2.3M this year alone), he is never going to be a no. 1 player, major champion, etc. If you can hold your nose and also overlook working to sportswash the Saudis, then yeah, if someone offered you "F you" money for playing silly golf outings, I might take it as well.

But Cam Smith already banked generational wealth this season alone, not to mention endorsements for winning the TPC and British Open, really disappointed to see him just bail for money. If I were in Cam Smith's shoes, there is no way in hell I would have jumped to LIV.

Reactions: cole854
I can sort of see Varner's point (if you overlook his $10.5M career earnings, and $2.3M this year alone), he is never going to be a no. 1 player, major champion, etc. If you can hold your nose and also overlook working to sportswash the Saudis, then yeah, if someone offered you "F you" money for playing silly golf outings, I might take it as well.

But Cam Smith already banked generational wealth this season alone, not to mention endorsements for winning the TPC and British Open, really disappointed to see him just bail for money. If I were in Cam Smith's shoes, there is no way in hell I would have jumped to LIV.
Greg Norman is his idol, not Tiger, not Jack. If fact, a lot of fans could care what Rory does because he’s not an American. If LIV focuses on the Asian tour they will be fine. The growth of golf is in Asia not USA and more new golf courses are being built in Asia and the Middle East. If LIV moves into Ladies golf in the future then all bets are off. Over half of the LPGA are now foreign players with more every year. Even at the Junior level if you look at AJGA events in any state their will be more players from Asia than the surrounding states. Golf has become a world game and times they are a changing.

Guess what....they won't be working less next year.

HV3 was already a millionaire a few times over. His kids/grandkids were going to be just fine.

The "job" analogy you posted doesn't hold water. For one, the "job/career" they chose on the PGA Tour requires hours upon hours of practice, workouts, etc. Again....they "chose" this. They "wanted" to be one of the best to play the game. They wanted to have their names alongside the best ever.

And as I stated before...LIV is nothing more than a money grab. The players sold out....they essentially threw away all they worked for. The better analogy is the baseball steroid era...those who took shortcuts to be a better player.

Am I ticked off? Yeah...golf is the second best sport in the world, imo, and I value its history and how it has changed the lives of many. LIV is trying to piss all over Bobby Jones, Jack, Arnie, Tiger, etc. They have influenced so many....not only to take up the game, but to be better people.
It's obvious you have a strong opinion about this issue because of your own love of the game. For the same reason I don't begrudge our one and done basketball players for going to the NBA I can't blame anyone for a decision they make to financially better themselves. If they chose money over the history of the PGA then it's their decision.

I do have to wonder if you would have been this ticked off back when the PGA Tour split from the PGA of America because Jack, and Arnie wanted bigger tournament purses in the tournaments from the big TV contracts?

I think the LIV has forced changes, but I wouldn't want my fingerprints on that. There has to have been another way other than getting in bed with the Saudis. Even if there wasn't, then so be it.

Last edited:
He certainly will be missed but it would take Spieth, Thomas, Rory, Finau, Rahm etc for me to tune in. Im not tuning in to watch Cam Smith. So they have yet to get the big package of players to have me tune in for a tourney. Plus just 54 h0les? Surely, they add more holes for ranking points and more players??
LIV is whining about OWGR points but they knew the criteria for getting approved before they started. So what did they do? Comply with almost zero of the items needed to get points.

OWGR requires 72 hole events.
LIV plays 54.

OWGR requires an average of 75 players per event over course of season.
LIV limits it to 48 players.

OWGR requires there to be a competitive cut in a large percentage of events.
LIV no cuts.

OWGR requires an open path to play on the tour, Monday qualifiers for PGAT do that.
LIV by invitation only.

So Norman and crew flipped off the OWGR folks before they ever played a single hole on the LIV and then bitch about the rules and how they are unfair.

This story is wild/sad that it actually occurred in a legitimate event. A similar thing happened in a member guest I played in where a guest "found his ball" a few times when nobody was watching- and then some kids from the cart barn went out and found his original balls that were deeper in the woods. The member he was playing with eventually left the club altogether after all the ridicule.

https://firepitcollective.com/the-case-against-matt-moroz-mounts/
Big time cheater right there.

Slippery slope!

MCDHAGI_EC004.jpg

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
I’m in agreement with LIV on this one. Let the players wear shorts if they want.

Sure....throw on some golf sandals, and a Bill Murray costume, and you will have Wednesday men's league at Connemara.

Hard no on the shorts....no reason to.

One of the great things about the PGA Tour is the GQ look that "most" pull off well. Some will still look like they just left Kohl's, however, or forgot to iron, but it is what it is.

Sure....throw on some golf sandals, and a Bill Murray costume, and you will have Wednesday men's league at Connemara.

Hard no on the shorts....no reason to.

One of the great things about the PGA Tour is the GQ look that "most" pull off well. Some will still look like they just left Kohl's, however, or forgot to iron, but it is what it is.
We will have to disagree on this one. I see nothing wrong with athletes competing in shorts.
And if they did maybe @cawoodsct would take some fashion advice from them.

Dustin Johnson with a LIV win in a playoff (made a long Eagle putt). Won a cool $4M on top of his team win earnings as well. First time I watched LIV. Was entertaining but not sure about the team concept.

Give the players what they want and bikinis on LPGA as well if they want.

If that includes the Korda sisters, Paige Spiranic, Holly Sonders, Veronica Felibert, Valeria Ochoa, Sophie Horn, Michelle Wie, Lucy Robson or Blair O'Neil then I have one thing to say......

yes-yas.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: blubo
Two major streaming platforms reportedly turned down the chance to acquire the media rights to LIV Golf.

According to Andrew Beaton and Joe Flint of the Wall Street Journal, both Apple and Amazon passed on becoming the streaming home of the fledgling tour.

As a result, the Saudi-backed golf league has had to resort to streaming its tournaments on YouTube and Facebook. LIV Golf also signed a streaming deal with DAZN in June, in addition to contracts with international television networks such as Eleven Sports, Sky Deutschland, SPOTV and SuperSport.

Per Beaton and Flint, neither Apple nor Amazon expressed any interest in striking a deal with LIV Golf, and no serious negotiations ever took place. The same is reportedly true for television networks such as ESPN, CBS, NBC and Fox.

Dan Rapoport of Barstool Sports added that Apple's reported lack of interest in LIV Golf had to do with the company's belief that the league is "too toxic."

The biggest controversy surrounding LIV Golf is the fact that it is financially backed by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund. Saudi Arabia has a history of significant human rights violations, and one popular theory is that the country is investing heavily in sports leagues like LIV Golf in an effort to improve its image across the world.

With Saudi Arabia's backing, LIV Golf has been able to offer top golfers huge contracts, as well as massive prize money pools in its tournaments.

We were going to go but my brother f'd our plans up so we cancelled. Enjoy!
LOL. We were supposed to be in Pinehurst playing Thursday, Friday and Saturday and head up to Charlotte for Sunday at Presidents Cup and one of our guys decided to have an emergency appendectomy a couple weeks ago. So now we just going to the Cup.

Reactions: catlanta33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT