ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Changes are being made to the PGA Tour as a direct result of the Liv. That’s been my point all along.

LIV played a role in the expediency of the changes, but nothing more. The changes were coming...as they do each and every year. However, given what has taken place the last 48 hours, the PGAT is in an even better position. If the majors wise up and join along, the LIV is done.

East Lake today was much wetter than it probably looked on TV, especially in the rough, but man, those guys were hitting some sweet ass shots. And if we all putted on the greens that they were rolling the pill on today, we'd be in heaven. They were just pure.

Too bad about Zalatoris' back problem. That will cost him millions. He would have been seeded #3 at the Tour Championship this week in Atlanta. A cool $18 million to the winner.

1: $18,000,000
2: $6,500,000
3: $5,000,000
4: $4,000,000
5: $3,000,000

I don't really care for the format, but the winner has always started in the top 5 seeds.
Top seeds starting position:

1 Scottie Scheffler -10
2 Patrick Cantlay -8
3 Will Zalatoris -7
4 Xander Schauffele -6
5 Sam Burns -5

All the rest....
Format is awful. Everyone should start even. This isn’t the local club championship with flights. If u want to reward the guys that played good all year, give them an extra million after the BMW. Anything but the way they are doing it now.

Format is awful. Everyone should start even. This isn’t the local club championship with flights. If u want to reward the guys that played good all year, give them an extra million after the BMW. Anything but the way they are doing it now.

Starting even eliminates the drive to win all year....that is why you have the points system. Scheffler starting even w/ Theegala wouldn't even be close to fair. Very fair format for all that got there.

Reactions: Tskware
It is a very fair way of distributing money (which is its sole purpose).

Other than that, it’s a fake tournament. It’s honestly disappointing that a place as cool as East Lake is wasted on a limited field, no cut, handicapped hospitality event.

Reactions: bigbluedon
It is a very fair way of distributing money (which is its sole purpose).

Other than that, it’s a fake tournament. It’s honestly disappointing that a place as cool as East Lake is wasted on a limited field, no cut, handicapped hospitality event.
I wish they would go back to being able to have a tournament winner and a FedEx Cup winner based on points. I know it was a little confusing but it rewards the best player for that week with a tournament win and the best player for the season based on points gets the big check from FedEx.

I understand wanting one winner but it wasn’t that hard to follow who was winning the tourney and who was leading the FedEx.

Reactions: bigbluedon

Winner gets a 5 yr exemption, and every qualifier gets into Maui, Masters, British, and US Open. Hardly a fake tournament given the status and it's history.

Quite amazing that people don't understand the points system.

Winner gets a 5 yr exemption, and every qualifier gets into Maui, Masters, British, and US Open. Hardly a fake tournament given the status and it's history.

Quite amazing that people don't understand the points system.

The winner getting a 5 year exemption is even more reason to reward the actual winner of the tournament… not the net member/guest flight champ.

Every qualifier automatically getting in to the other bigger tourneys before they even play at East Lake just reiterates that the only real thing they have left to play for this weekend is money. That’s it. It’s a really lucrative corporate/FedEx payday played with handicapped scoring.

The winner getting a 5 year exemption is even more reason to reward the actual winner of the tournament…

It did. Rory was the actual winner of the tournament.

It is obvious by your posts that you do not like, nor do you understand, the FedEx Cup points system that lasts the entire PGA tour season. Sit this one out.

Will Rory end up being a top 10 all time golfer?

Possibly. He still has some work to do. It's still about the majors to me, and he only has 4. Needs at least 3 more to enter the conversation. At 33 years old there is still time.

I'm still trying to get my head around winning $18 million in a single tournament. FYI, Jack Nicklaus (with 18 majors, 73 PGA wins) won $5.7 million in his career on the tour.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Possibly. He still has some work to do. It's still about the majors to me, and he only has 4. Needs at least 3 more to enter the conversation. At 33 years old there is still time.

I'm still trying to get my head around winning $18 million in a single tournament. FYI, Jack Nicklaus (with 18 majors, 73 PGA wins) won $5.7 million in his career on the tour.
Fortunately for Jack he made the bulk of his money doing other things. Net worth estimated at 400 million.

It is obvious by your posts that you do not like, nor do you understand, the FedEx Cup points system that lasts the entire PGA tour season. Sit this one out.

I’ve got zero issue with the FedEx Cup points system. Its purpose is to get players money and it does that.

The obvious issue is the PGA Tour playing their season finale as a limited field, no cut, handicapped event. It’s Mickey Mouse and done to appease FedEx after they complained that they didn’t like having a tourney winner and season winner. So, we now get a weekend hit and giggle for a lot of money at a really awesome venue.

I’ll keep participating… and being right.

Last edited:
The Fed EX Cup and Tour Championship is certainly no hit and giggle. And you earn the right by play to get in the no cut field by grinding all season. Today was a great example of the grind and pressure. Use this system or the other it’s a great event and the two best players all year went head to head. Hard to ask for more than what we witnessed today.

Reactions: parrott
Starting even eliminates the drive to win all year....that is why you have the points system. Scheffler starting even w/ Theegala wouldn't even be close to fair. Very fair format for all that got there.
Disagree. They just started this system several years ago. Most of them don’t like it. Don’t know how you think the eliminates the drive to win it.

Disagree. They just started this system several years ago. Most of them don’t like it. Don’t know how you think the eliminates the drive to win it.

Most...incorrect. Some like it, some don't, and some are undecided but they don't have any suggestions on how to change it. Regardless, it isn't changing anytime soon, and I am going to enjoy it as I attend most years.

It might need a tweak or two, but an equal ground scenario was not in play before (there were only the top group of 5 or so that were in the running to win the title) The current format brings all 30 into play.

Rory is still younger than Phil was when he won his first major (pretty sure of that, but not positive). He has said his goals are to be the first Euro to win the career slam and to beat Faldo's record of six majors, which is the most any European player has won.

As an aside, I putted so bad on Sunday, I threw my F'ing putter in the trunk and pulled out an older one. That bastard is going to have to earn his way back into the lineup. Old one is a TM Spider, newer one is a Spider mini. But it can't possibly be my stroke, do you think??

Rory is still younger than Phil was when he won his first major (pretty sure of that, but not positive). He has said his goals are to be the first Euro to win the career slam and to beat Faldo's record of six majors, which is the most any European player has won.

As an aside, I putted so bad on Sunday, I threw my F'ing putter in the trunk and pulled out an older one. That bastard is going to have to earn his way back into the lineup. Old one is a TM Spider, newer one is a Spider mini. But it can't possibly be my stroke, do you think??
It’s always the club T2! We all know that.

• Haha
Reactions: parrott and Tskware

It's your 7I.....hit that better and you will putt better.

Oh, and watch Law & Order the night before a round....always helps my putting.

• Haha
Reactions: TruBluCatFan

I thought you could only play with the clubs you start with.

I thought you could only play with the clubs you start with.

Made change in parking lot post round.

Never thought about it, but I guess if you only have 13 to start with, then go get a 2nd putter between nines, that might be within the rules. I just know you can't have more than 14 in your bag during the round, nor can you adjust equipment during the round (except for damaged club, I think)

Si Woo Kim broke his putter a couple of years ago and had to finish the round using his fairway wood to putt because he couldn't replace it during the round.

*** Edit just to say there have been days I could have putted just as well with my 3 wood as I did with my putter 🤣 ***

Click here

Last edited:
  • Haha
Cam, Varner, Niemann....will miss seeing you on the tour. Enjoy your riches.

The majors have to step up and soon.

Anybody hit the PXG 0311 Gen 5 driver?
$299 right now with free shipping until Labor Day.

I’ve got buddies that hit the irons but haven’t heard much about this driver. $299 price makes me both interested and concerned.

Anybody hit the PXG 0311 Gen 5 driver?
$299 right now with free shipping until Labor Day.

I’ve got buddies that hit the irons but haven’t heard much about this driver. $299 price makes me both interested and concerned.
I had asked the same question the other day on here. I know a guy who has the Gen 4 and likes it so much he ordered the Gen 5. However, when reading reviews and watching what few there are on YouTube that isn't in Chinese, it doesn't seem they have the ball speed and distance that the Cobra, Callaway, Taylormade and Titleist have. Forgiveness seems to be okay though. I almost pulled the trigger on one at that price especially since they have the 60 day no questions asked money back guarantee but in the end went with a Callaway Epic instead. It seemed to perform better and you can pick one up right now on Ebay for $50-75 cheaper than the $299 PXG. Let us know if you buy it and how you like it so I can live my life even further in regret. 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: Get Bucket$
Will miss Cam Smith. Dude can play some golf and is fun as hell to watch his creativity in action.
He certainly will be missed but it would take Spieth, Thomas, Rory, Finau, Rahm etc for me to tune in. Im not tuning in to watch Cam Smith. So they have yet to get the big package of players to have me tune in for a tourney. Plus just 54 h0les? Surely, they add more holes for ranking points and more players??

Last edited:
He certainly will be missed but it would take Spieth, Thomas, Rory, Finau, Rahm etc for me to tune in. Im not tuning in to watch Cam Smith. So they have yet to get the big package of players to have me tune in for a tourney. Plus just 54 hles? Surely they add more holes for ranking points and more players??

54 holes, teams, no cut, no qualifying, no historical value, etc. Does anyone remember the course that the first event was played on? Was their any final round drama?

This entire LIV scam is 100% money grab....nothing more. They travel around, play nice courses, get a lot of money.....end of story. Their names are not etched alongside that of Jack, Arnie, Watson, etc. They aren't playing for their dream of being one of the top 125 that gets a tour card.

If money is all there is for these guys, then so be it. Guess what....someone else just took their spot, and their will be new up and comers who value what hard work does vs. having things just given to them. Give me 125 players starting at Torrey Pines who are all trying for their first win over any LIV field.

This story is wild/sad that it actually occurred in a legitimate event. A similar thing happened in a member guest I played in where a guest "found his ball" a few times when nobody was watching- and then some kids from the cart barn went out and found his original balls that were deeper in the woods. The member he was playing with eventually left the club altogether after all the ridicule.

https://firepitcollective.com/the-case-against-matt-moroz-mounts/

Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
^read that the other day, I was shocked that the caddy seemed to be just as ok/on board with the cheating as Moroz was. I also had an experience just like it in an event one time.

ADVERTISEMENT