ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

A lot of name recognition, few listed who have growth potential, save Reed, Gooch and Bryson, and BD has injury issues.
Does it matter?

Really wonder if this has caught the PGA off guard. Can’t believe they would think this would be the result.

I would tend to agree. I think Monohan needs to make an official statement soon, and if it leans toward the harsh side of things, then the courts are next.

Reactions: Tskware
Tiger is just a different breed. He has more money than he knows what to do with. His family will be taken care for generations as long as they are not completely irresponsible. He cares deeply about his legacy. I can see how he could turn that kind of money down. Someone like DJ being given $100+ guaranteed million as he exits his prime is really tough to turn down.

Saudis have FU money beyond imagination, but agree, $1B plus for a guy who has serious physical limitations now and has maybe 1-2 wins left in him if everything goes right in a tournament is a BOLD move. Tiger is still the event, so I get it, but $1B+ is an insane investment.
At this point in his career, Tiger’s focus should be on his brand. He’s had a lot of negative attention that he’s bounced back from. He doesn’t need the LIV golf money. His family is set for generations just off the TW brand I’m guessing.

I think Tiger also knows that him joining LIV would really put the Tour in a bad place. And it would hurt his legacy. It was a ton of money to pass up, but Tiger already has a ton of money.

A lot of name recognition, few listed who have growth potential, save Reed, Gooch and Bryson, and BD has injury issues.
Does it matter?

It does matter, because they are setting the bar for the next group who will make decisions. The PGA Tour is bigger than any one player, but what you don't want to see happen is the next wave of young stars jump for the cash instead of historical achievements. Fan interest then sponsors will start to wane if you start seeing the Morikawa's and Zalatoris's of the world want a piece of that pie.

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
Supposedly some reporters asked some tough questions for Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, and Phil. One of them to Westwood was, 'would you have participated in an Aparthied South Africa Tour when that government existed?'.

Crickets.

It does matter, because they are setting the bar for the next group who will make decisions. The PGA Tour is bigger than any one player, but what you don't want to see happen is the next wave of young stars jump for the cash instead of historical achievements. Fan interest then sponsors will start to wane if you start seeing the Morikawa's and Zalatoris's of the world want a piece of that pie.
Those next young stars won’t become young stars on the LIV tour. If they can play in the majors, then they have a chance but that’s not guaranteed because LIV may not get OWGR points.

Those next young stars won’t become young stars on the LIV tour. If they can play in the majors, then they have a chance but that’s not guaranteed because LIV may not get OWGR points.

You think anyone jumping for a monster pay day gives a rats ass about world ranking points?

You think anyone jumping for a monster pay day gives a rats ass about world ranking points?
No I don’t but Colin Morikawa wouldn’t be a star today if he didn’t win the PGA Championship. That’s my point. College kids can’t get into the PGA or other majors (for the most part) without having world ranking points.

If Colin Morikawa skipped the PGA tour and went to a different tour that not many people watched, he wouldn’t be considered a star.

No I don’t but Colin Morikawa wouldn’t be a star today if he didn’t win the PGA Championship. That’s my point. College kids can’t get into the PGA or other majors (for the most part) without having world ranking points.

If Colin Morikawa skipped the PGA tour and went to a different tour that not many people watched, he wouldn’t be considered a star.
And in about 6 months after he retired no one would remember his name

Anyone can qualify for the two Opens, and the Masters is an invitational, so they can invite anyone they want (although I do think they look at world rankings to a certain extent). The PGA championship is run by the PGA not the PGA Tour, but I'm not sure how they decide their field. The two biggest PGA Tour tournaments are the Players and Tour Championship, so these LIV guys will be excluded from those, but I think there's a decent chance playing on the LIV will not exclude anyone from the majors.

As far as young players, there's already a few young studs that just went pro and signed on for the LIV instead of going to the Korn Ferry tour. I think we'll see a lot more of that in the future, and if that happens the PGA Tour has a big problem.

Also, I can see more high level PGA Tour players making the jump in the coming year once they let the first guys be the guinea pigs. This is already a big problem for the PGA Tour and will only get worse IMO.

Anyone can qualify for the two Opens, and the Masters is an invitational, so they can invite anyone they want (although I do think they look at world rankings to a certain extent). The PGA championship is run by the PGA not the PGA Tour, but I'm not sure how they decide their field. The two biggest PGA Tour tournaments are the Players and Tour Championship, so these LIV guys will be excluded from those, but I think there's a decent chance playing on the LIV will not exclude anyone from the majors.

As far as young players, there's already a few young studs that just went pro and signed on for the LIV instead of going to the Korn Ferry tour. I think we'll see a lot more of that in the future, and if that happens the PGA Tour has a big problem.

Also, I can see more high level PGA Tour players making the jump in the coming year once they let the first guys be the guinea pigs. This is already a big problem for the PGA Tour and will only get worse IMO.
Without OWGR points it’s awfully hard to qualify for the majors. I can’t see a path to playing a lot of majors without playing the PGA Tour or European Tour IF the LIV tour doesn’t get OWGR points. Sure, you can go through qualifying to get into the US Open, but that’s not very easy regardless of how good you are.

I think it’s a problem for the PGA Tour for sure. But I also think sustainability is going to be a huge issue for this new tour. They can’t be making nearly enough money to be paying anyone who wants on tens of millions of dollars. I know it’s dirty Saudi money, but still.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Basically these guys are going to be playing on tour that not many care about or want to watch, but getting rich in the process.

I'm afraid you're right and it makes me sad. The Korn Ferry Tour seems brutal, and anybody who can fight their way onto the PGA Tour from there can play. You can count on that.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Without OWGR points it’s awfully hard to qualify for the majors. I can’t see a path to playing a lot of majors without playing the PGA Tour or European Tour IF the LIV tour doesn’t get OWGR points. Sure, you can go through qualifying to get into the US Open, but that’s not very easy regardless of how good you are.

I think it’s a problem for the PGA Tour for sure. But I also think sustainability is going to be a huge issue for this new tour. They can’t be making nearly enough money to be paying anyone who wants on tens of millions of dollars. I know it’s dirty Saudi money, but still.

LIV will be investing huge money over the next several years in a partnership with the Asian Tour. The Asian Tour already has OWGR status and the expectation is that these big LIV events will eventually become Asian Tour events. They've already applied for and are eventually going to get OWGR points.

Not even sure what will be considered a success for the LIV. Could be what they’ve done is already it. But in terms of converting over real golf fans it’s highly, highly unlikely to happen. Most golf fans need history to attach themselves to.

Wow! We are watching the PGA Tour be destroyed right in front of our very eyes. I will watch both, but there is not doubt the PGA is getting hit in the face right now with name after name leaving. Since they can play in the 4 majors and still play in LIV, it's only going to get worse. 150M for DJ and 200M for Phil, guaranteed!!! No telling what Bryson just got.

I’m outraged that we aren’t getting full coverage of every single shot from either espn or the golf channel.

Wow! We are watching the PGA Tour be destroyed right in front of our very eyes. I will watch both, but there is not doubt the PGA is getting hit in the face right now with name after name leaving. Since they can play in the 4 majors and still play in LIV, it's only going to get worse. 150M for DJ and 200M for Phil, guaranteed!!! No telling what Bryson just got.
Lol some of u regulars are too easy to spot

Lol some of u regulars are too easy to spot
Say what? I play golf 3 days a week. I walk each round and it ends up being about 21 miles. It's my favorite thing in life besides dogs.

What is a "regular" being "spotted" ? Get the hell over yourself.

LIV will be investing huge money over the next several years in a partnership with the Asian Tour. The Asian Tour already has OWGR status and the expectation is that these big LIV events will eventually become Asian Tour events. They've already applied for and are eventually going to get OWGR points.
I didn’t know they were going to be getting OWGR points down the line. I just thought it was still up in February air. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Good try.

WTF is wrong with you? Wow. I'm watching Golf channel right now and they are basically agreeing with what I said. Hate it for you that you want to control the opinions in your thread but can't.

PS, I throughouly enjoyed my round today. There's nothing better than the MGI ZIP A/T that I bought from Costco.com 2 years ago. It makes walking a round a blast.

See ya bud. PGA getting punked and I'm loving it as smarmy A-holes like Rory, Justin, Jordan, Brooks, etc. do nothing for me.

Reactions: cawoodsct
That's the thing. I don't think the intention is to make any money from this tour. I think it's purely to legitimize the Saudi regime around the world (particularly the West) with the ultimate goal to be able to do business with more western companies without the companies having to deal with all of the public backlash. Sportswashing 101.

That's the thing. I don't think the intention is to make any money from this tour. I think it's purely to legitimize the Saudi regime around the world (particularly the West) with the ultimate goal to be able to do business with more western companies without the companies having to deal with all of the public backlash. Sportswashing 101.

Do they even have a TV sponsor yet? Seems like it would be hard to get any network to want to tie themself to it.

Free Livestream on the LIVgolf.com website. I'll stream that bad boy on my 55 inch Samsung.

Jerry Foltz has joined the broadcasting team.

Good lord.

Dude you are over the top. Just because you are loyal and bow down to the PGA, doesn't mean squat. PS, you are laughable calling someone a "regular". You have 40K posts here and have bumped your own thread for six years. LOL!

I know you think your sh*t don't stink, but it wreaks.

Reactions: cawoodsct
I didn’t know they were going to be getting OWGR points down the line. I just thought it was still up in February air. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

What the heck has happened to JB? No tweets since 2020 and haven't heard a peep about him. Hope he is doing ok. I always like watching him play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT