ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

I am a Tiger fan but that kind of money is insane. His best days are long gone even if he hadn't wrecked. I know he brings a lot of notoriety and but closing in on a billion for that name recognition seems like a lot to me. 🤷‍♂️
Tiger is just a different breed. He has more money than he knows what to do with. His family will be taken care for generations as long as they are not completely irresponsible. He cares deeply about his legacy. I can see how he could turn that kind of money down. Someone like DJ being given $100+ guaranteed million as he exits his prime is really tough to turn down.

Saudis have FU money beyond imagination, but agree, $1B plus for a guy who has serious physical limitations now and has maybe 1-2 wins left in him if everything goes right in a tournament is a BOLD move. Tiger is still the event, so I get it, but $1B+ is an insane investment.

Loyalty and the like are fine...but when the best of the best start seeing Hudson Swafford and Kevin Na walk away with multi-million paychecks, they are going to take a hard look at what they are passing up, especially if they are in the prime of their careers. In the end, money talks and there is plenty of it to be had, evidently.....The Saudi-backed venture plans for eight events this year, and will scale upward in coming years through a $2 billion pledge from Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund.

A good chunk of the top tier in the world right now are 30 and under....do you live comfortably in your current position, or do you jump for life long financial security for your family.

PGA Tour and R&A are in a precarious position right now, especially with what they end up deciding on potential penalties are handed down, if any. If you lose a good chunk of your top names, then you will lose fans, and then you will lose sponsors. There are many who feel that harsh penalties will essentially push players away, and this will get ugly in the courts, which it still may.

In the end, the green jacket, shaking hands w/ Jack, etc....all are priceless and the memories will last a lifetime, but we're in a different era now w/ players mindsets about historical achievements. Outside of a few, like JT, Rahm, Rory....the almighty dollar is going to be the ultimate carrot.
I agree with all of this.

Rickie probably played his way in as an alternate.
Hard to feel bad for Rickie.
allison_stokke.jpg

Brilliant.

But in the overall scope....the PGA hasn't assigned any penalties to date.

A1 or Ketchup w/ your crow?

And you can paypal me my $20
You think they are gonna assign penalties right now? Ha, what a dolt.

"Sportswashing"
Yep. They know they won't get any ROI on this. They're just paying for good PR so that the western world will start to think of golf and formula 1 when they think of SA instead of murdering journalists and beheading gay people.

It's similar to Qatar hosting the World Cup and UAE (I think) buying Manchester United.

Yep. They know they won't get any ROI on this. They're just paying for good PR so that the western world will start to think of golf and formula 1 when they think of SA instead of murdering journalists and beheading gay people.

It's similar to Qatar hosting the World Cup and UAE (I think) buying Manchester United.
So you are saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer?

The PGA Tour probably needed a shakeup, they’ve gone a long time being the only game in town and it’s lead to a lot of uninteresting events with little imagination.

However, this is a cluster****. The LIV group is just throwing together some half baked idea of a league and it’s getting players because they have a seemingly unlimited budget with no concerns regarding the viability of the product long term. It’s not a good type of competitor.

Like I said before, there was a PGL concept that had some of this Saudi money and some smart golf people behind it that wanted to partner with the tour and the tour gave them the cold shoulder. I think they will regret that or have to revisit it, especially with this resignation loophole that players have found.

Nevertheless, you take this type of money from essentially the SA government and they are going to expect certain things from their investment. Right now Norman, Phil, DJ, etc. are swimming in their pool of cash but it will be interesting when the Saudis start asking for all the extras…”hey DJ, sorry you’re out on your yacht this weekend vacationing but our Saudi International needs some juice, get your butt over here now for a presser and bring your sticks.”

Last edited:
Reactions: parrott
Based on the fields so far and the goofy format, I am announcing that my interest in the LIV circuit will be roughly equal to the Champions Tour, or approximately 0.0%. Seems like a league for guys at or near the end of their career to pad their bank accounts in 8 silly season events.

Based on the fields so far and the goofy format, I am announcing that my interest in the LIV circuit will be roughly equal to the Champions Tour, or approximately 0.0%. Seems like a league for guys at or near the end of their career to pad their bank accounts in 8 silly season events.
Champions Tour > LIV.
DP World Tour > LIV.
Korn Ferry > LIV too.
At least for me. Not watching LIV.

Id honestly rather wake up on a Sunday morning, like ive done over the past 20 years, and catch the end of the European Tour with a ton of guys ive never heard of, than watch the LIV. I mean at the moment its just a boring ass group. I know we will have a few more guys trickle in but at this moment i just cant see myself trying to find it on youtube and watching. A Martin Kaymer and Turk Pettit battle down the last few holes does not interest me.

It's all about the $. Players want more of it. PGA want's to protect their monopoly as best they can.

It's all about the $. Players want more of it. PGA want's to protect their monopoly as best they can.
Not sure they have a monopoly. I suppose you could play on the DP world (european) tour if you like.

LIV not sustainable IMO. Saudis have to be losing money on this deal.

I’m all in on the LIV tour baby!!! Can’t wait!! PGA is in big trouble, just wait until the next Tiger comes along and jumps straight to the big money league.

LET’S GO FIRE BALLS!!!!

Reactions: cawoodsct
How many American sites will there be? Any sites outside US will hamper the league, tv viewing-wise, to some degree.
If a few more Americans defect, it could cause TV money in next contract to go down, lowering purses, and may lead to more defecting.

The LIV has scheduled tournaments in the USA:
  • 9-11 June: Centurion Golf Club – London, England
  • 1-3 July: Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club – Portland, USA
  • 29-31 July: Trump National Golf Club Bedminster – New Jersey, USA
  • 2-4 September: The International – Boston, USA
  • 16-18 September: Rich Harvest Farms – Chicago, USA
  • 7-9 October: Stonehill Golf Club – Bangkok, Thailand
  • 14-16 October: Royal Greens Golf Club – Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
  • 27-30 October: Team Championship, Trump National Doral, Miami, USA

They almost have all the heels now. Bryson, Reed, poulter, Sergio. Hell dj and Phil obvs aren’t angels either. Just need Tiger and we’re set.

Will be interesting to see what the Masters decides with several of them being past champions.

The LIV has scheduled tournaments in the USA:
  • 9-11 June: Centurion Golf Club – London, England
  • 1-3 July: Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club – Portland, USA
  • 29-31 July: Trump National Golf Club Bedminster – New Jersey, USA
  • 2-4 September: The International – Boston, USA
  • 16-18 September: Rich Harvest Farms – Chicago, USA
  • 7-9 October: Stonehill Golf Club – Bangkok, Thailand
  • 14-16 October: Royal Greens Golf Club – Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
  • 27-30 October: Team Championship, Trump National Doral, Miami, USA
What is the “team” championship? Is there a selection process for teams?

Not sure they have a monopoly. I suppose you could play on the DP world (european) tour if you like.

LIV not sustainable IMO. Saudis have to be losing money on this deal.
Oil is around $120/barrel and exporting more by the day. They'll be fine.

Really wonder if this has caught the PGA off guard. Can’t believe they would think this would be the result.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT