ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

I haven’t been following this PGA vs LIV very closely. So PGA and European tour players can play tournaments on either tour. Why is PGA players playing in these LIV tournaments some kind of violation with the PGA? I’d really like to understand this better.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
I haven’t been following this PGA vs LIV very closely. So PGA and European tour players can play tournaments on either tour. Why is PGA players playing in these LIV tournaments some kind of violation with the PGA? I’d really like to understand this better.
Because the PGA has decided it’s a violation in this particular instance. They seem to be using the Saudi angle as the reasoning for that, but we all know that’s not the case.

In reality, the amount of money being thrown around makes the LIV at least some kind of of threat to the Tour. They don’t want to let this thing get off the ground, because eventually it’s going to get bigger and attract more players - with that kind of money, how could it not?

Watched some video of top women's swings before I went to the range today. Got inspired by watching Minjee Lee hit a drive 317 yards yesterday. :eek:

Surely to God I ought to be able to hit the ball 240 . . .

Last edited:
Because the PGA has decided it’s a violation in this particular instance. They seem to be using the Saudi angle as the reasoning for that, but we all know that’s not the case.

In reality, the amount of money being thrown around makes the LIV at least some kind of of threat to the Tour. They don’t want to let this thing get off the ground, because eventually it’s going to get bigger and attract more players - with that kind of money, how could it not?
So there’s nothing in their bylaws or rules forbidding players from playing in pro tournaments on other sponsored tours?

So there’s nothing in their bylaws or rules forbidding players from playing in pro tournaments on other sponsored tours?
There are rules that say that must request a release from the Tour if they want to play in an event that conflicts with a PGA Tour event. The first LIV event conflicts with a Tour event so they requested permission and the Tour denied them.

Reactions: catlanta33
What is the format for the tournament next week? I thought I heard it was team play. That's a bad idea.

No one is gonna watch that tour. For a guy like DJ he’s basically saying I value easy money over my golfing legacy. Which is his choice. I like Phil. I hope he doesn’t make the same choice because his legacy can still be preserved despite his recent mistakes.

I saw where in an effort to cut tuition that Georgetown College is eliminating 5 sports teams which includes Men's and Women's golf, Men's and Women's soccer and Men's archery. Those already on scholarship will still receive the financial scholarship until their graduation but there will be no further funding for tournaments.

I saw where in an effort to cut tuition that Georgetown College is eliminating 5 sports teams which includes Men's and Women's golf, Men's and Women's soccer and Men's archery. Those already on scholarship will still receive the financial scholarship until their graduation but there will be no further funding for tournaments.

Georgetown is really hurting financially, so I hear. It is really really expensive and doesn't have the academic cachet of Centre or Transy. Isn't it affiliated with the Baptist church? If so, recent news won't help donations.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
This one will play out in courts and my guess is that it will be long and drawn out.
Yep. The Saudis have the kind of money to fight it in court and play the long game. However, if interest in the league never takes off or wonders off after a while then what are they willing to do to try and keep it going? If the best and most marketable players do not play in it then getting eyeballs to watch is not going to be easy no matter how much money they throw at it.

How many American sites will there be? Any sites outside US will hamper the league, tv viewing-wise, to some degree.
If a few more Americans defect, it could cause TV money in next contract to go down, lowering purses, and may lead to more defecting.

The big question is will some of these guys lose sponsorships? We all know how a vocal group complaining to a company can effect where they put their money. If people are complaining about it will they pull sponsorship and what for most guys can be a good portion of their earnings?

The big question is will some of these guys lose sponsorships? We all know how a vocal group complaining to a company can effect where they put their money. If people are complaining about it will they pull sponsorship and what for most guys can be a good portion of their earnings?

I think that is why most of the guys that committed are past their prime, e.g., Kevin Na, Sergio, Westwood, and/or so wealthy, e.g., Phil and Dustin Johnson, that endorsement money hardly matters

~Central KY's best golfer and UK player, Jacob Cook, in the mix in the Springfield, OH 36 hole US Open qualifier.

Some big names at all the locations...

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/final.html

Media darling, Rickie Fowler, once as high as #4 in the world, now having to qualify....currently at +2 in the opening round of the day at Jupiter.

Georgetown is really hurting financially, so I hear. It is really really expensive and doesn't have the academic cachet of Centre or Transy. Isn't it affiliated with the Baptist church? If so, recent news won't help donations.
Perhaps they should stop giving scholarships to every kid that graduates from a Scott county high school with a 3.0?

~Central KY's best golfer and UK player, Jacob Cook, in the mix in the Springfield, OH 36 hole US Open qualifier.

Some big names at all the locations...

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/final.html

Media darling, Rickie Fowler, once as high as #4 in the world, now having to qualify....currently at +2 in the opening round of the day at Jupiter.
Nice guy but Rickie will go down as the most overrated professional golfer of all time when you include the amount sponsorships he has had and the PGA making him one of the main faces of its brand. Insane how much money and exposure he had gotten to only win 5 PGA events and no major.

Nice guy but Rickie will go down as the most overrated professional golfer of all time when you include the amount sponsorships he has had and the PGA making him one of the main faces of its brand. Insane how much money and exposure he had gotten to only win 5 PGA events and no major.
True, but one season, seems like he was top 5 in all 4 majors? No small feat if memory serves.

Hey PGA it’s your move.
I don't think PGA is playing this right. Just let them go. Keep your tour in its pure form, and go with those who want to be there. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Let them switch back and forth if they want. The PGA Tour will stay the most popular IMO.

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
Needs more time practicing and less time shooting commercials.

LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman told Kent Babb of the Washington Post (h/t Joel Beall of Golf Digest) that Woods was offered a deal that was "mind-blowingly enormous; we're talking about high nine digits."

Woods previously told reporters he is committed to the PGA Tour:
I am a Tiger fan but that kind of money is insane. His best days are long gone even if he hadn't wrecked. I know he brings a lot of notoriety and but closing in on a billion for that name recognition seems like a lot to me. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL

FUpddibXwAEy-uy

I don't know what the Saudi's angle is on this new league. They can't possibly be making any money off of it. Almost seems like a Hotel California type of thing for the golfers who have joined.

Loyalty and the like are fine...but when the best of the best start seeing Hudson Swafford and Kevin Na walk away with multi-million paychecks, they are going to take a hard look at what they are passing up, especially if they are in the prime of their careers. In the end, money talks and there is plenty of it to be had, evidently.....The Saudi-backed venture plans for eight events this year, and will scale upward in coming years through a $2 billion pledge from Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund.

A good chunk of the top tier in the world right now are 30 and under....do you live comfortably in your current position, or do you jump for life long financial security for your family.

PGA Tour and R&A are in a precarious position right now, especially with what they end up deciding on potential penalties are handed down, if any. If you lose a good chunk of your top names, then you will lose fans, and then you will lose sponsors. There are many who feel that harsh penalties will essentially push players away, and this will get ugly in the courts, which it still may.

In the end, the green jacket, shaking hands w/ Jack, etc....all are priceless and the memories will last a lifetime, but we're in a different era now w/ players mindsets about historical achievements. Outside of a few, like JT, Rahm, Rory....the almighty dollar is going to be the ultimate carrot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT