ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
Pretty petty move. No reason why they can't come to some sort of agreement w/ the players, especially if they fulfill their min. event requirement. If Phil wants to promote the game outside of the PGA Tour then so be it....he isn't hurting anyone. This isn't as if someone has a non-compete and is going to share trade secrets w/ a competitor.
No but the PGA Tour has a set of rules that they administer. The players know these rules and agree to abide by these rules.

If they don’t think the rules are applicable to them then why bother asking for a release. The Tour is protecting their brand and product.

I don’t think the LIV/Saudi league is viable in the long run but I see no reason for the PGAT to help it get on its feet either.

They don’t have trade secrets but they do have fans and followers. If those viewers don’t watch the PGA Tour because they are watching Phil and Sergio et al play in a rival event it will affect the tour.

There is a simple way for the PGA Tour to completely quash the LIV but they won’t do it. Allow appearance fees at PGA Tour events. Want to see Brooks and Bryson play the Barbasol? Tell them they get $1M for showing up. Tiger at the John Deere? Pay him to come.

^^^As I said....No reason why they can't come to some sort of agreement w/ the players, especially if they fulfill their min. event requirement. Besides, if enough top players force the hand of the tour, then they will eventually have to cave.

Daly was pretty much spot on w/ his comments...

“I just wish maybe they could combine them and make it all work out to where it benefits everybody,” Daly said. “And the name of it is golf. I mean, you want to keep golf going and keep it strong, and the foundation of the European Tour and the foundation of the Asian Tour and the Australian Tour and all the tours and our tour, players have kind of built that through a lot of great sponsorships that we’ve had. You know, I just think if they could work it out together it would be really good instead of competing against each other.”

“The concept is great,” Daly continued. “I mean, it would be great if they could just work out for both sides where it becomes, you know, a PGA Tour under their umbrella or a Saudi umbrella, where it works for the money list on our tour and just see what happens that way.”

The Saudi league doesn't have a legitimate scoring system and can't offer any points without it. The PGA is spending millions on theirs and they're not going to let some other league just borrow it. MOF - they're scooping up the other tours and will leave the Saudi league on an island at some point.

The Saudi league only benefits washed-up golfers or newcomers that don't think they can hang on the Tour. That's it.

I would imagine there will still be several PGA members that play in the London event. The PGA will come down with some sort of punishment... and then the lawsuits begin. Lawsuits it doesn't seem like the PGA Tour will win. It should be interesting.

Last edited:
I would imagine there will still be several PGA members that play in the London event. The PGA will come done with some sort of punishment... and then the lawsuits begin. Lawsuits it doesn't seem like the PGA Tour will win. It should be interesting.

As in playing even though their release was denied?

I believe only a handful requested release. I'm going opposite of you. I don't think any of them that truly feel they can still compete and win on the Tour will risk it.
I'm not saying someone like Cantlay is going to do it now that the release has been denied, but someone with PGA membership is going to get paid well enough to step out and take the chance. Then, the legal fight begins.

^^^As I said....No reason why they can't come to some sort of agreement w/ the players, especially if they fulfill their min. event requirement. Besides, if enough top players force the hand of the tour, then they will eventually have to cave.

Daly was pretty much spot on w/ his comments...

“I just wish maybe they could combine them and make it all work out to where it benefits everybody,” Daly said. “And the name of it is golf. I mean, you want to keep golf going and keep it strong, and the foundation of the European Tour and the foundation of the Asian Tour and the Australian Tour and all the tours and our tour, players have kind of built that through a lot of great sponsorships that we’ve had. You know, I just think if they could work it out together it would be really good instead of competing against each other.”

“The concept is great,” Daly continued. “I mean, it would be great if they could just work out for both sides where it becomes, you know, a PGA Tour under their umbrella or a Saudi umbrella, where it works for the money list on our tour and just see what happens that way.”
They did this once with Norman. He tried to start a competing league tour in the 90s I believe. The Tour took it seriously and that led to the creation of the WGC events. Now Norman is doing same crap again.

I think that is part of the Tour’s hardline stance on it along with the other reasons.

Didn't know this but if the event is not during a PGA Tour event, they have usually granted releases. If the Tour can prove that then it seems like that would rule out the monopoly claim.

If you are a golf fan and enjoy watching the best players in the world compete on the same stage, this all should be concerning to you. The players can gripe about the PGA Tour all they want (it's not perfect) but it's a cohesive organization with infrastructure and tradition.

The LIV Golf and PGL people are just tossing bags of cash around with little to no plan...but, it's so much money players will grab it and before you know it golf starts to look like boxing with a diluted talent pool and confusion about who is playing for what and when. Rankings will be a mess, the majors will be confused about who to let in the fields. Norman and Mickelson are just making one last cash grab for their expensive habits with no concern about how it affects the future of the game. Ironically, they are attacking the organization which provided the platform to be who they are today ===> an organization which the players themselves run, by the way.

Anyway, the PGL seems like the far more serious group, they have more diverse money (some comes from the Saudis but not all of it) and they seem interested in working with the PGA, not against it. I think with the amount of money out there the PGA would be smart to partner with them and nuke LIV but it doesn't seem like those talks are close.

Golf could be headed towards a crazy summer and fall.

Reactions: catlanta33
The LIV Golf and PGL people are just tossing bags of cash around with little to no plan...but, it's so much money players will grab it and before you know it golf starts to look like boxing with a diluted talent pool and confusion about who is playing for what and when. Rankings will be a mess, the majors will be confused about who to let in the fields. Norman and Mickelson are just making one last cash grab for their expensive habits with no concern about how it affects the future of the game. Ironically, they are attacking the organization which provided the platform to be who they are today ===> an organization which the players themselves run, by the way.
This ^

Didn't know this but if the event is not during a PGA Tour event, they have usually granted releases. If the Tour can prove that then it seems like that would rule out the monopoly claim.
Even during competing events the PGA almost always grants the releases in exchange for a player promise to play the event they missed the following year.

We may have covered this topic before but I don’t remember it.

What is the rudest or most disrespectful action you’ve seen on the course?

We may have covered this topic before but I don’t remember it.

What is the rudest or most disrespectful action you’ve seen on the course?
So in your opinion who was in the wrong in the following situation. I heard of a man and his wife playing at a local club and they were new to golf. There was a group of 4 behind them who hit in on them a couple of times. The guy got hostile after the second time and an argument ensued. The 4 guys complained about the slow play and the new golfer thought because there was only 2 of them they shouldn't have to let a group of 4 play through.

Now I think if any group or single player is waiting on you or your group and nobody is in front of you then they should get to play through but with that said they shouldn't hit in on you twice. If the group will not let you play through I would just go around to the tee box ahead rather than hit in on someone. What is your opinion?

As a side note the couple had just joined a couple of days before so were very new to golf.

So in your opinion who was in the wrong in the following situation. I heard of a man and his wife playing at a local club and they were new to golf. There was a group of 4 behind them who hit in on them a couple of times. The guy got hostile after the second time and an argument ensued. The 4 guys complained about the slow play and the new golfer thought because there was only 2 of them they shouldn't have to let a group of 4 play through.

Now I think if any group or single player is waiting on you or your group and nobody is in front of you then they should get to play through but with that said they shouldn't hit in on you twice. If the group will not let you play through I would just go around to the tee box ahead rather than hit in on someone. What is your opinion?

As a side note the couple had just joined a couple of days before so were very new to golf.
Little bit of blame for everyone. The new folks need to keep up pace of play. Playing through isn’t dependent on group size but pace of play. If it’s open in front of them they should have let them play through.

Hitting into people once is an accident. More than once is intentional and most cases just being a dick. If the twosome was really new the group behind missed an opportunity to teach them some golf etiquette.

But I’d take the side of the foursome on playing through. The twosome should have let them through.

Little bit of blame for everyone. The new folks need to keep up pace of play. Playing through isn’t dependent on group size but pace of play. If it’s open in front of them they should have let them play through.

Hitting into people once is an accident. More than once is intentional and most cases just being a dick. If the twosome was really new the group behind missed an opportunity to teach them some golf etiquette.

But I’d take the side of the foursome on playing through. The twosome should have let them through.
I agree with you and they were new so it was a great time to ride up and ask to play through to educate them rather than to keep hitting in on them to be a douche.

Last edited:
One caveat, something that turns me homicidal is watching a foursome in front of me where everyone in the group gathers around the guy hitting a shot, then all four of them go to the next guy's shot, and then to the next guy's shot and so on while they mosey on down the hole (by the way, foursomes that do this are inevitably filled with guys that cannot play worth a damn).

In that case, they probably deserve anything that happens to them.

Sadly those folks requested a refund of their membership since they had just joined a couple of days earlier. Hopefully this bad experience doesn't sour them on taking up golf. I had saw the couple on the range and they were probably in their 40's so getting a late start on learning the game.

• Sad
Reactions: Tskware
One caveat, something that turns me homicidal is watching a foursome in front of me where everyone in the group gathers around the guy hitting a shot, then all four of them go to the next guy's shot, and then to the next guy's shot and so on while they mosey on down the hole (by the way, foursomes that do this are inevitably filled with guys that cannot play worth a damn).

In that case, they probably deserve anything that happens to them.
Absolutely. Play ready golf.

Reactions: Tskware
Sadly those folks requested a refund of their membership since they had just joined a couple of days earlier. Hopefully this bad experience doesn't sour them on taking up golf. I had saw the couple on the range and they were probably in their 40's so getting a late start on learning the game.
That sucks. Not surprising based on what you said. I really hope the club pro or president discussed the issue with the foursome as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT