ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Jason Day looks on form for next week. Watch out for him at Augusta. That guy is too talented to only have 1 major.

My blades experiment is over after 3 years. Still around a 10 handicap but find myself shooting more high 80's than anything. Just cannot consistently hit MP-5's from 175 in. Drive the ball decent, decent short game, and a decent putter, but no confidence with irons even from the middle of the fairway. Just find myself hitting most irons thin and just not hitting enough greens, let alone leaving myself birdie looks.

Thinking of more forgiving irons as a Christmas present. Any suggestions?
TIA

I have the Mizuno MP-20's. Love them! Not very forgiving though. A lot of folks are playing the Taylormade P790 which offer more forgiveness and length but not a real chunky game improvement iron. Best of both worlds.

My blades experiment is over after 3 years. Still around a 10 handicap but find myself shooting more high 80's than anything. Just cannot consistently hit MP-5's from 175 in. Drive the ball decent, decent short game, and a decent putter, but no confidence with irons even from the middle of the fairway. Just find myself hitting most irons thin and just not hitting enough greens, let alone leaving myself birdie looks.

Thinking of more forgiving irons as a Christmas present. Any suggestions?
TIA

I bit the bullet and went to oversized Adams irons and hybrids about 5 years ago. I’ll never go back.

The new Callaway's are suppose to be very forgiving.

Could CPG actually be Woodie Austin ? About the same size, kind of resemble.

Reactions: KRJ1975
Engy9frW4AEg5uT

Jordan is a classic case of why a golfer who is having success should NEVER go off the path of what made them so good. He chased distance and it has screwed up his entire game. As any golfer here knows, when you lose confidence in your swing ALOT of bad things will happen.

That said, this is what makes Bryson such an incredible talent. He was already enjoying success but has completely transformed his body and game to get even better. Yes, several pros get stronger and all as they age but to do it as quick and dramatic as he has is an extremely rare feat.
Same with Lydia Ko. Was dominate, #1 in the world, decided she needed more distance with a draw. Fell off the map. She is slowly finding her game again. I am of the mind if it ain’t broke do t fix it.

Don’t remember if I’ve talked about it in this thread or not, but I’m trying to get back into golfing after a nearly 20 years lay-off. Have enough acreage here at home for all my clubs including driver, unfortunately lol. So have been practicing from here, haven’t played a course yet. My question, is it normal to hit driver and 3 wood with abandon, then having to hit irons with precision? Cause that’s what I’ve learned i have to do. TIA
Depends on the course. I play a tight course here, so accuracy is better than distance unless you enjoy hitting from the pine trees all day.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Depends on the course. I play a tight course here, so accuracy is better than distance unless you enjoy hitting from the pine trees all day.
Have played 4 rounds since I started back. Played at Summer Shade 3 times, and Dale Hollow once. Played much better today, 18 holes at S.S. Just trying to get length off the tee is the hardest part. Lost a shitload. But figuring it out. Putting sucks, but everything else is coming around. DH is a long hard course. But by spring I’m hoping I can play it without embarrassing myself too much.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Was a good one to watch. I’m a JT fan, so kind of disappointing, but was a fun one to watch. I like the ones that come down to the wire.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Callawaypreowned has had some really good deals of late. Ordered a "like new" Epic Flash for less than $200 a couple of weeks ago. It came brand new in the original packaging, plastic wrap, etc. Most everything I've ordered from them has been in better condition than advertised.

Reactions: cole854
Have played 4 rounds since I started back. Played at Summer Shade 3 times, and Dale Hollow once. Played much better today, 18 holes at S.S. Just trying to get length off the tee is the hardest part. Lost a shitload. But figuring it out. Putting sucks, but everything else is coming around. DH is a long hard course. But by spring I’m hoping I can play it without embarrassing myself too much.
What kind if shape is SS in? Terry Isenberg runs it. Know him and his brothers for years. DH can be tough. Need good ball striking on that thing.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Bought a new Calloway Jaws MD5 52 wedge, which I use from 105 in, unless I need to flop with my 60, buying new Ping G410 irons, and buying new 3 wood. Doubt it improves my game much, if any, but it’s just time to upgrade this off-season.

Reactions: treuxbleux
Bought a new Calloway Jaws MD5 52 wedge, which I use from 105 in, unless I need to flop with my 60, buying new Ping G410 irons, and buying new 3 wood. Doubt it improves my game much, if any, but it’s just time to upgrade this off-season.
You hit a 52 105 yards? I like the look of the I210 better than the 410. But you may like the 410 better. What kind of 3 wood you getting?

You hit a 52 105 yards? I like the look of the I210 better than the 410. But you may like the 410 better. What kind of 3 wood you getting?
I can stretch it out to that when needed, yes. I do like the I210 but i have been playing the G15's and hit those well and the 410 look like those, so i think i may be better off with them.

Probably the tight lies adams.

Callawaypreowned has had some really good deals of late. Ordered a "like new" Epic Flash for less than $200 a couple of weeks ago. It came brand new in the original packaging, plastic wrap, etc. Most everything I've ordered from them has been in better condition than advertised.
Yup....I’ve found that the stuff in “average” condition have been phenomenal and barely used at all. Screaming deals.

Im playing these and my irons are the best part of my game. Simply just time to upgrade.
405.jpg

Should i get these which seem more like my G15's:
ping-g410-irons_01.jpg

OR

i210_iron_7_cavity_708x708.jpg

Go hit them, right? Kind of feel like i wont be able to tell much of a difference with 15 minutes each of a new club. Feel like the safe play is G410's.

Im playing these and my irons are the best part of my game. Simply just time to upgrade.
405.jpg

Should i get these which seem more like my G15's:
ping-g410-irons_01.jpg

OR

i210_iron_7_cavity_708x708.jpg

Go hit them, right? Kind of feel like i wont be able to tell much of a difference with 15 minutes each of a new club. Feel like the safe play is G410's.
I know several guys with the 410 and love them. They are a bit too clunky looking for me.

Reactions: cawoodsct
What kind if shape is SS in? Terry Isenberg runs it. Know him and his brothers for years. DH can be tough. Need good ball striking on that thing.
It’s in better shape than it was 20 years ago when I used to play. Some rough patches on the fairways, but the greens are in good shape, really fast. Played DH today for the second time. Really nice course, but lots of muddy spots this time of year. Looking forward to playing it next spring and summer. Worlds of differences between it and SS. It’s a hard course to re learn the game on, but played it better today than first time. Mainly because I moved up on the tees. It intimidates you if you aren’t used to it lol.

I think I played my last round of the year yesterday. Keep saying that then good weather pops up again. Bluegrass Club is a fun layout, in good shape and decent little track. 40/39...

Just ordered the g410’s 5 minutes ago.

Trivia golf question:

What golfer led the PGA Tour this year in percentage of putts made inside of ten feet?

And take a wild guess at what you think that percentage was?

Tomorrow morning on golf channel 9-3 the final round of the women’s US Open will complete after a weather delay today, if you need some decent golf with your coffee at work.

Trivia golf question:

What golfer led the PGA Tour this year in percentage of putts made inside of ten feet?

And take a wild guess at what you think that percentage was?

Tomorrow morning on golf channel 9-3 the final round of the women’s US Open will complete after a weather delay today, if you need some decent golf with your coffee at work.
Us women's open was another tough weather slog in front of 0 fans. Pretty much like a whole lot of the rest of the golf season was. It's a shame

Us women's open was another tough weather slog in front of 0 fans. Pretty much like a whole lot of the rest of the golf season was. It's a shame
I enjoyed the season. Very thankful we even had golf. PGA Tour did a great job getting the guys out there and keeping it safe and ongoing when many called for them to shut it down in the early days. Monahan deserves some praise for this season, for sure.

Answer:

DeChambeau made 91.20 percent of his putts within 10 feet last season, the highest mark since Jim Furyk made 92.40 percent in 2002, the first year tracking began.

Sub 70 3H arrived today. Slick looking club and right now before they get big (if ever) the price is right. Included a hat, a few stickers, wrench, velvet bag and a classy hand-written thank you. Try them out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT