ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Biggest pet peeve by others on the golf course.

Mine by far is when the group behind hits into us. My normal group plays at a pretty good rate.

Pisses me off when the group behind is so oblivious that they hit into us. It rarely happens but is my biggest pet peeve when it does. Luckily I’m a quiet guy and never say anything about it. Right @cawoodsct and @cole854.

Easy... people playing the wrong tees. Most people playing the blues should be playing the whites. Playing a course too long for your ability causes a lot of the other issues that make weekend golf frustrating.

Not bothered by much others do on the golf course but it wouldn’t hurt if everyone chipped in and fixed an extra divot on each hole.

One thing that does annoy me is when making a tee time the pro shop fails to tell you they have recently aerated their greens. Get all jacked up to play and end up putting through sand all day.

Mine by far is when the group behind hits into us. My normal group plays at a pretty good rate.

Pisses me off when the group behind is so oblivious that they hit into us. It rarely happens but is my biggest pet peeve when it does. Luckily I’m a quiet guy and never say anything about it. Right @cawoodsct and @cole854.
Depends. If it happens once simply by accident that is fine. Sometimes folks nut a shot that goes further than they expect. Once in awhile folks think the group ahead is gone and hits. Now, if it happens several times that is different.

For me, its folks on cell phones. Drives me crazy because it always slows the pace of play down. Played with my BIL this past summer who I invited to play since we never spend time with one another and just wanted to get to know him better and chill out on the course and almost the entire time he was on conference calls. Last time I will invite him to play.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Depends. If it happens once simply by accident that is fine. Sometimes folks nut a shot that goes further than they expect. Once in awhile folks think the group ahead is gone and hits. Now, if it happens several times that is different.

For me, its folks on cell phones. Drives me crazy because it always slows the pace of play down. Played with my BIL this past summer who I invited to play since we never spend time with one another and just wanted to get to know him better and chill out on the course and almost the entire time he was on conference calls. Last time I will invite him to play.
First time I assume it’s an accident. Second time then it’s on.

QFT. If you are that damn busy that you have to be on calls all day, then you really ought to be back at work doing your job. No one wants to listen to someone's cell phone call on a golf course.

I have hit it back at them.

QFT. If you are that damn busy that you have to be on calls all day, then you really ought to be back at work doing your job. No one wants to listen to someone's cell phone call on a golf course.
Was
Riding in same cart with a Preacher one day. He was on the phone 5 times in 6 holes. I told him it was getting annoying. He apologized and said it was members of his church needing to talk with him. I told him if they were in such great need, then he needed to be at the church and not on the golf course.

Chariot Run was really fun. Great greens and lots of imaginative shots. It’s a bit of a haul but I’ll be playing there again.

Was
Riding in same cart with a Preacher one day. He was on the phone 5 times in 6 holes. I told him it was getting annoying. He apologized and said it was members of his church needing to talk with him. I told him if they were in such great need, then he needed to be at the church and not on the golf course.
Preachers have a tough gig. They are basically on-call 24-7 especially if it’s a small church. His mistake was not leaving his phone in the car. They need time to enjoy themselves and unwind too.

2 weeks
ElQymleVgAImulD

Reactions: treuxbleux
Looks pretty cool, to be honest. Going to be very interesting.

Read an article on the plane last night about Augusta in November....temps will only be 10 degrees or so cooler on the avg so not a major factor unless they have a fluke cold spell. Fairways will not have the same roll due to softer conditions this late in the year. Greens will still be fast and receptive. Winds are likely to be a factor and coming in at different directions than April. Sunday pin positions are being kept secret for now as the committee doesn't want to just recreate the usual given they are there again in April. They look for some holes to remain the same and others set up differently.

Wonder how much of an issue fallen leaves will be in Augusta. Not really an issue the pros face in these tournaments. Coming from a hack who gets pissed when I cannot find a ball that has rolled into a cluster of leaves on the ground or greens with lots of debris on them. Have to assume the maintenance staff will constantly be blowing the course off.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Wonder how much of an issue fallen leaves will be in Augusta. Not really an issue the pros face in these tournaments. Coming from a hack who gets pissed when I cannot find a ball that has rolled into a cluster of leaves on the ground or greens with lots of debris on them. Have to assume the maintenance staff will constantly be blowing the course off.
Was wondering the same thing about the leaves. I hit shots around the house, (I’ve got 9 acres), and where I usually hit my wedge is covered with leaves now. It’s very time consuming trying to find the balls. But I’m sure they will have a plan to keep them blown off or at least collected with something. Going to be odd seeing the fall foliage at Augusta.

I think it will be a disaster. Guys losing balls all weekend.

My pet peeve is guy in the group ahead that gets up to the tee box, go through the whole pre shot routine with practice swings and all, even the visualizing the hole, that would make Jordan Speith blush. Only to dribble it 30 yards off the tee , then politely retee it and hit a 2nd ball. YGTBFKM, then holds me up the first 4 or 5 holes until I finally have enough and ask him "hey partner, mind if we play thru ?"

Last edited:
Read an article on the plane last night about Augusta in November....temps will only be 10 degrees or so cooler on the avg so not a major factor unless they have a fluke cold spell. Fairways will not have the same roll due to softer conditions this late in the year. Greens will still be fast and receptive. Winds are likely to be a factor and coming in at different directions than April. Sunday pin positions are being kept secret for now as the committee doesn't want to just recreate the usual given they are there again in April. They look for some holes to remain the same and others set up differently.
Wonder if they backed up the 13th tee yet. They bought that property behind the 13th tee. I hope they don’t move. Great risk/reward hole.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Fred Ridley, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, announced today the 2020 Masters Tournament, scheduled for November 9-15, will provide an expansive slate of content across multiple platforms, including ESPN’s College GameDay airing live from Augusta National on Saturday, November 14.

“Given the circumstances brought about by the pandemic, the delivery of quality content is as important as ever to the storytelling of the Masters Tournament,” said Ridley. “While we will dearly miss our patrons at Augusta National this fall, we are excited to showcase what promises to be a truly memorable Masters in a variety of ways for viewers around the world.”

One such way is the addition of College GameDay, which is scheduled to take place from 9 a.m. – Noon before the live CBS broadcast of the third round. The studio will be staged overlooking Ike’s Pond and the 9th green of the Par 3 course.

“When exploring ways to showcase a fall Masters, we were drawn to the concept of hosting College GameDay at Augusta National to introduce the Tournament to a new audience and provide even more anticipation and excitement to the event,” Ridley continued. “We appreciate the collaboration with ESPN, our longtime broadcast partner, for this first-of-its-kind opportunity.”

In addition, the global television audience of the Masters will experience new and enhanced views of the unique November Tournament, as Augusta National has worked with CBS Sports to showcase distinctive angles and shots from around the course.

Throughout the week, live coverage of the Masters will be broadcast to more than 200 countries and territories. The American Forces Network will also broadcast the event to U.S. military installations throughout the world.

In the United States, live coverage of Tournament play will begin Thursday, November 12, from 1 – 5:30 PM ET on ESPN and continue at the same times Friday, November 13. CBS will again provide weekend coverage on Saturday, November 14, from 1 – 5 PM ET, before airing the final round from 10 AM – 3 PM ET on Sunday, November 15. The Par 3 Contest, which is traditionally played on the Wednesday prior to the Masters Tournament and broadcast by ESPN, has been canceled.

“The fun and excitement of watching Masters competitors with their friends and family is what makes the Par 3 Contest such a special part of Masters week,” stated Ridley. “We know that experience could not have been replicated without guests and patrons at Augusta National, and we eagerly anticipate the opportunity to bring back this signature tradition.”

For the fourth consecutive year, the Masters will air a live 4K broadcast of the Tournament in the United States, featuring action from Amen Corner – the 11th, 12th and 13th holes of Augusta National – as well as the 15th and 16th holes.

During Tournament week, Masters Digital will feature exclusive live video, scoring, interactive player tracking, groupings, video highlights, in-depth Tournament news coverage and more. The site will also feature a new live feed in November, highlighting the action from the 4th, 5th and 6th holes. Featured hole coverage will also be available on ESPN+.

Building upon the Emmy Award-winning “Every Shot, Every Hole” technology from 2019, Masters Digital will unveil the “My Group” feature for the 2020 Tournament. Similar to a personally tailored Featured Group, “My Group” allows fans from around the world to build a personalized feed of every shot from their favorite players, ensuring they won’t miss any of the action during the Tournament.

In an effort to share the latest news from the Tournament, the Masters has launched a free daily email newsletter for fans. Delivered directly to their inbox from Augusta National, this newsletter will provide fans with exclusive content and highlights of the day’s action, while also helping them plan their viewing schedule for the day ahead.

Returning in 2020 is the official Masters podcast "Fore Please! Now Driving..." which invites patrons and fans to follow along as host Marty Smith explores Tournament storylines and visits with notable guests across sport, entertainment and pop culture. Episodes will be published daily from this year’s Masters Tournament.

For iPhone®, iPad® and Android phones, the Masters Tournament will release free apps designed to complement the television broadcast or to be used independently to follow Tournament action.

Golf fans can also stay informed of Tournament news by following @TheMasters on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube. On Snapchat, the Masters will feature a new augmented reality experience on the platform, allowing users to scan the iconic Masters logo and bring it to life inside the Snapchat app, using Snapchat's Marker Technology, where Masters fans can use their Snapchat camera to unlock unique virtual experiences.

The 84th Masters is set to begin on Thursday, November 12 with Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player acting as Honorary Starters. Tee times will be announced at a later date, but players will be scheduled to start off the first and 10th tees in two waves the first two rounds.

Last edited:
Masters TV coverage continues to suck. I do not understand why they cannot be more like the other majors that air most of the day and not a 4 hour slot. Guess they are making too much money on the digital
Platform???

Masters TV coverage continues to suck. I do not understand why they cannot be more like the other majors that air most of the day and not a 4 hour slot. Guess they are making too much money on the digital
Platform???
Golf coverage in general sucks. They show full football, baseball, basketball etc. games. Why can’t we watch full golf tournaments? Every shot is important to the outcome. Tiger can be 15 shots off the lead, but when they are televising, they show him instead of a player in contention. Drives me crazy. Ok, rant over.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
It’s been confirmed, Grover Justice is moving to Whitehaven Driving Range. He plans a total reconstruction of the putt putt course.

LOL. Man you guys are down on Grover, he has always been nice to me. What has he done to rub you the wrong way?

Reactions: cawoodsct
The greatest pin placement in golf is Sunday on 16. Either stick it 3 or 4 feet short of the hole or try to backspin it off the slope right and past the hole for a chance to trickle one down super close like Tiger did last year. That is really the only pin placement that is interesting on that hole too. The rest of the week it is a pretty boring par 3.

Played Marriott yesterday for the first time in awhile. Greens were in great shape. Tees and fairways were a little on the furry side.

My buddy played out of his mind with 4 birdies and an eagle. Made probably 200 feet of putts. Never seen the likes of it.

What new gear has most impressed folks this year? I really love the TaylorMade SIM Max fairway woods. Got a 3 and 5. They were 5-10 yards longer than everything in the store I hit. Been smoking them on the course as well.

What new gear has most impressed folks this year? I really love the TaylorMade SIM Max fairway woods. Got a 3 and 5. They were 5-10 yards longer than everything in the store I hit. Been smoking them on the course as well.
If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay and where did you get them?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT