ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Played it a few months ago and was very surprised. Was in great shape. A few bunkers needed some work but overall enjoyed it and felt the green fees were fair. Friendly staff and pace of play was solid. Played the tips since it’s a shorter track.
Yeah I’m definitely gonna need a short track. Getting old with bad knees ain’t a recipe for distance.

What are your stock yardages?

I’m totally over the the 380 yard drives on fairways that run 12 on the stimpmeter and gushing over players who trap the ball therefore changimg the loft of the iron drastically so an 8-iron can yield the distance of a 5-iron.

I’m sure the greatest player connected to equipment and swing mechanics we know as Ben Hogan would be super impressed. There’s a lot more to golf than bomb and gouge. Tiger is the last of the true artists of the game who accomplished great feats.

It’s interesting when you see a player with 70 feet of green and they are right off the fringe then choose to trap a 60° wedge rather than a six iron bump and run. These days it’s all brute force and flip a wedge and hope you make like 20% of the putts and hope dip shits like Azinger can sell it to the bored ass audience.

I’m totally over the the 380 yard drives on fairways that run 12 on the stimpmeter and gushing over players who trap the ball therefore changimg the loft of the iron drastically so an 8-iron can yield the distance of a 5-iron.

I’m sure the greatest player connected to equipment and swing mechanics we know as Ben Hogan would be super impressed. There’s a lot more to golf than bomb and gouge. Tiger is the last of the true artists of the game who accomplished great feats.

It’s interesting when you see a player with 70 feet of green and they are right off the fringe then choose to trap a 60° wedge rather than a six iron bump and run. These days it’s all brute force and flip a wedge and hope you make like 20% of the putts and hope dip shits like Azinger can sell it to the bored ass audience.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Baller Cal

So, in short, you can't hit it out of your shadow and your short game is a disgrace.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Them boys at Augusta won't like Bryson systematically destroying the course...........but I will.
Funny. All the talk shows on PGATour radio on Friday were all talking about Bryson and how he was destroying the course in Vegas with a 59 in pro am and a 61 in first round.

But he still didn’t win. He’s a great talent and people are gonna hate.

They said all the same stuff about Tiger when he came out too.

- Being the first one out on a cool fall morning is just a great feeling. Warming up with the sun, shedding layers, leaves changing colors... closer to God gentlemen.

- Have gone with the Kirkland ball for most of the year. They still cut/scuff too easy but good performance for the money.

- Guys day trip to Sweetens Cove in a few weeks. I need this.

- Have yet to find actual golf pants I like. Seems like they're all too thin for cooler weather but that's the only time I'd wear them.

- The online merch code for 2020 Masters ticket holders... um "patrons"... might be more valuable than actual Masters tix.

- Being the first one out on a cool fall morning is just a great feeling. Warming up with the sun, shedding layers, leaves changing colors... closer to God gentlemen.

- Have gone with the Kirkland ball for most of the year. They still cut/scuff too easy but good performance for the money.

- Have yet to find actual golf pants I like. Seems like they're all too thin for cooler weather but that's the only time I'd wear them.

- The online merch code for 2020 Masters ticket holders... um "patrons"... might be more valuable than actual Masters tix.

~We are doing that in the a.m.....bourbon in tow..

~I work with a guy who loves the Kirkland and he is a 3 cap. His claim is it is great from 100 yds and in.

~Heading to Daytona Beach for a Thur-Sun trip next week. Something about beach golf in late Oct gets the senses going.

~I am resigned to Dockers or Polo khakis for comfort. "Golf pants" don't fit me well from thighs up and they are all summer texture as you said.

Hope all is well on your side.

Brendon Todd had two eagles yesterday and still shot five-over. Pathetic. Never drafting that bum again.

Been busy KyFaninNC. Been a helluva year for farming. Just haven’t taken time to post much. You doing ok?
Yea, Bud, I am doing well. How are you and yours doing? Marrowbone has really changed. I know very few people there now. We sold mom’s place, after sis moved to Burkesville, now in the nursing home. Still got a cousin there.

Reactions: Backer cutter

You must be a really long hitter if you think Dale Hollow from the tips is a short course. The down hill par three with the lake in back ground is a bastard of a par three, since you can’t even see the green, bail out is short.

Tiger is the last of the great shot makers, IMO.

What are people's thoughts on playing a 5some? I think it absolutely sucks. You're always looking around trying to figure out where everybody is, etc.
Have played in a few with guys I know well. Everyone knows to play ready golf so it goes at a good pace but we won’t do it unless the course is slow. Prefer not doing it and generally happens when you got that 1 guy who shows up on his own and joins the group so he does not have to play by himself.

Have played in a few with guys I know well. Everyone knows to play ready golf so it goes at a good pace but we won’t do it unless the course is slow. Prefer not doing it and generally happens when you got that 1 guy who shows up on his own and joins the group so he does not have to play by himself.

That is EXACTLY what happened today. This guy joined us on the 10th hole. It’s like he looked at the tee sheet and waited for us to come around. I get to the tee and he’s hitting. He knows a guy in our group and asked him. I found it incredibly rude that he wanted to join when we already had four and he’s really not good friends of any of ours.

Last edited:

I think the tour should make all the players go back to the persimmon drivers, and wound, balata balls. Then we would see who are truly the best golfers in the world. When Tiger, or Phil, or any other pro, hits a ball 20 yards to the right or left with two-piece balls, they would be in a different zip code with earlier equipment. It would stop courses from being obsolete, and stop players like DeCambeau from making the game a long drive contest. They could leave the equipment the same for the weekend golfers. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing long drives, but what I don't like are players hitting wedges into every par 4, and most courses just don't have the space to extend the lengths of their holes.

Last edited:
That is EXACTLY what happened today. This guy joined us on the 10th hole. It’s like he looked at the tee sheet and waited for us to come around. I get to the tee and he’s hitting. He knows a guy in our group and asked him. I found it incredibly rude that he wanted to join when we already had four and he’s really not good friends of any of ours.

I think it depends on the situation. We tried to play in a fivesome at Kiawah two weeks ago on vacation. Play was brutally slow, all the courses were packed. The guys in front of us were a 3 some, and I was supposed to be in a foursome, but there was an older couple originally with me and another guy who decided they wanted to play by themselves (she had an artificial leg, and he was a real old guy, I applaud them for still playing, but it was obvious they were going to be playing SLOOOOWWWW, so they did us a favor by dropping back by themselves)

Anyway, on the 2nd hole, a fairly short par 5, the threesome in front of us had not even teed off when we pulled up. So we agreed to play 5. And it worked great. Our five kept up to the players in front of us, and the people behind us never waited. Until a ranger showed up on hole no. 6 and made us break up again . . . whereupon we waited on damn near every shot until the back nine, where it picked up a bit. I can only surmise that some folks quit after 9.

I was PO'ed, but nothing I could do about it. I guarantee you we were not holding anyone up in a fivesome on that day at least.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I think it depends on the situation. We tried to play in a fivesome at Kiawah two weeks ago on vacation. Play was brutally slow, all the courses were packed. The guys in front of us were a 3 some, and I was supposed to be in a foursome, but there was an older couple originally with me and another guy who decided they wanted to play by themselves (she had an artificial leg, and he was a real old guy, I applaud them for still playing, but it was obvious they were going to be playing SLOOOOWWWW, so they did us a favor by dropping back by themselves)

Anyway, on the 2nd hole, a fairly short par 5, the threesome in front of us had not even teed off when we pulled up. So we agreed to play 5. And it worked great. Our five kept up to the players in front of us, and the people behind us never waited. Until a ranger showed up on hole no. 6 and made us break up again . . . whereupon we waited on damn near every shot until the back nine, where it picked up a bit. I can only surmise that some folks quit after 9.

I was PO'ed, but nothing I could do about it. I guarantee you we were not holding anyone up in a fivesome on that day at least.

Crazy. I hate playing in them because that's one more person I have to keep track of and it keeps me from being able to relax.....and focus. I've been hit by a ball once playing in a 5 some and almost had my head taken off another time because everyone was always scattered. Two in the fairway, two right, one left, etc... Too much going on for my taste.

Crazy. I hate playing in them because that's one more person I have to keep track of and it keeps me from being able to relax.....and focus. I've been hit by a ball once playing in a 5 some and almost had my head taken off another time because everyone was always scattered. Two in the fairway, two right, one left, etc... Too much going on for my taste.

I can see that as well. Especially playing ready golf, you can get out ahead of someone in your group without thinking about it.

Yea, Bud, I am doing well. How are you and yours doing? Marrowbone has really changed. I know very few people there now. We sold mom’s place, after sis moved to Burkesville, now in the nursing home. Still got a cousin there.
We are doing ok. My wife is a nurse at the nursing home so I’m sure she knows your sis. Yeah Marrowbone is definitely different than it was 30 years ago. Actually, the whole area is. To golf, gonna try to play Dale Hollow soon, I’m assuming I should play the tips since I haven’t played in years?

Reactions: KyFaninNC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT