ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Gary Player is a stud. 85 years old and in that kind of shape and can still swing a club like that and still trying to get better. Good stuff.

Not that it has helped my golf game, but COVID has led to me playing more than anytime in my life. Not including golf league, have played 17 different courses in metro Cincinnati plus 4 others I have played on vacations this year.

Not that it has helped my golf game, but COVID has led to me playing more than anytime in my life. Not including golf league, have played 17 different courses in metro Cincinnati plus 4 others I have played on vacations this year.

You are not alone, golf industry has boomed this year, equipment sales are up something like 50% and push carts (like bicycles) cannot be found anywhere for sale (or so I am told, but I do know bikes are hard to come by)

I am on the board of my local country club and other than income from scrambles being down we have had a great year. Memberships, green fees, cart rentals, range balls, everything is up. I have saw a lot of new people on the course this year and a lot of them are younger players from 18-25 years old. If there is any kind of silver lining about COVID it's that this may actually be good for the game of golf because it was slowly dying out in my town.

Reactions: Tskware
I have saw a lot of new people on the course this year and a lot of them are younger players from 18-25 years old. If there is any kind of silver lining about COVID it's that this may actually be good for the game of golf because it was slowly dying out in my town.

Dark cloud to the silver lining is that older golf dudes like me can't just show up at 3:30 on a weekday and start play whenever, having to call ahead and get tee times and check course availability, which I can't remember having to do at my place in a long long time. :(

Dark cloud to the silver lining is that older golf dudes like me can't just show up at 3:30 on a weekday and start play whenever, having to call ahead and get tee times and check course availability, which I can't remember having to do at my place in a long long time. :(

TT, did you hear that Spring Valley sold to developers and is closing at end of year.

He's played it before, as have I, as have many others. I am surprised he actually traveled somewhere to play golf....that is the bigger story.
Yeah I know all that. But it’s a discussion board. This is a golf topic.

And he will travel for golf, maybe just not with you.:golf:

So remember guys, if anyone on this board has ever played a course before we can no longer discuss it according to UKO.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Yeah I know all that. But it’s a discussion board. This is a golf topic.

And he will travel for golf, maybe just not with you.:golf:

So remember guys, if anyone on this board has ever played a course before we can no longer discuss it according to UKO.

You guys shorted me a mini this morning.

TT, did you hear that Spring Valley sold to developers and is closing at end of year.

Yes, to Ball Homes or a related entity, and pretty solid rumor has it we are getting a flood of their immigrants. Not having the Barbasol this year helped the course conditions at both courses, Keene wasn't over played and Champions greens and fairways weren't scalped and beaten to death by the PGA superintendent (who allegedly apologized for the way they left our course after the tournament in 2019). We'll see how they do it in 2021 when the PGA returns.

I wish they would spend some of the new money on Keene, a little TLC could turn that into a better track, it will never rival Champions, but could be a lot better for relatively low investment.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Heading out to Fairfield Glades for our golf trip. This will be the 19th year. Roster is down a little this year - only 20 and even BBdK can’t make it - but we’re ready to go.

Playing the Heathers, Bear Trace & Stonehenge this year. Temps are going to be the lower 60’s so it’ll be damn cold for that 7:30 tee time.

Going to be a blast as always though. Golf, beer, bourbon, BBQ and football! And of course a little wagering on the side!

Heading out to Fairfield Glades for our golf trip. This will be the 19th year. Roster is down a little this year - only 20 and even BBdK can’t make it - but we’re ready to go.

Playing the Heathers, Bear Trace & Stonehenge this year. Temps are going to be the lower 60’s so it’ll be damn cold for that 7:30 tee time.

Going to be a blast as always though. Golf, beer, bourbon, BBQ and football! And of course a little wagering on the side!
Call Bear Trace and ask about condition of the greens. We were there 2 weeks ago and greens were horrendous. Someone mixed the fertilizer wrong and did serious damage to a lot of greens.

Damn, hate to hear that. Thanks for the heads up TruBlu, we’ll check it out. Not that it would have any impact on my putting. 😳

Damn, hate to hear that. Thanks for the heads up TruBlu, we’ll check it out. Not that it would have any impact on my putting. 😳

Yeah it was our first trip down and played it first day. Made us wonder why we came. But the courses at Fairfield were in phenomenal shape. We didn’t get to play the heathers because they were aerating one the day we arrived and the one the next day.

Hope you guys have a great trip.

Reactions: parrott
Great approach shot to win it. Was rooting for Malnati. This is time of year when wins are easier for a "nobody". It changes their lives, at least for 2 years, almost three.

Robert Rock with major choke on 18. Huge purse for Euros. $450k for 3rd is probably one of the biggest purses he'll ever cash. Still amazed he coaches other players and plays himself.

Entertaining hearing Poulter cry in the rain Saturday.

This is time of year when wins are easier for a "nobody".

Not sure what that means unless you are referring to the lack of top 10 players in a specific week, for example. Every tournament is extremely, extremely, hard to win. If you have your card, you are definitely not a "nobody".

Anyone ever played the Barren River Lake Course down around Scottsville? Playing there Saturday rain or shine! I live in Bowling Green and have been told by several people it's an underrated course and one of the best in the area. Looking forward to it!

Welp, Goff hits wrong ball out of the bunker and the title is very much in jeopardy now. May go double, triple to end his round and UT player in tight at 17 for bird. Unreal.

7 shot lead after 12 for Goff is gone. Goff shoots 76. Now tied with UT player who is on the 18th tee.

Good god almighty. UT player had a 30 foot two putt to win because he would have tied and beat Goff with low score on the day between the two. He lags to 3.5 to win title and lips out to give Goff the win. Crazy as shit!

UT players putt for the comeback win.

Last edited:
Reactions: parrott
Wow. Was this on Golf Channel ? if so, I will look for a replay later tonight.

To the one poster, Barren river is nice. hilly as hell, couple of n ice par 3's.

Anybody here ever played Dale Hollow State Park course? I’m trying to get back into golf since giving it up nearly 20 years ago. I live about a half hour from there but have never been on the course. Every thing I hear about it is good, just wanted to hear opinions of it from experienced golfers. TIA

Anybody here ever played Dale Hollow State Park course? I’m trying to get back into golf since giving it up nearly 20 years ago. I live about a half hour from there but have never been on the course. Every thing I hear about it is good, just wanted to hear opinions of it from experienced golfers. TIA
Where you been? Kinda missed my old Marrowbone friend around here. I have played Dale Hollow a few times, but it’s been a few years. Great course, just pick the right tees.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Played it a few months ago and was very surprised. Was in great shape. A few bunkers needed some work but overall enjoyed it and felt the green fees were fair. Friendly staff and pace of play was solid. Played the tips since it’s a shorter track.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Been busy KyFaninNC. Been a helluva year for farming. Just haven’t taken time to post much. You doing ok?
Where you been? Kinda missed my old Marrowbone friend around here. I have played Dale Hollow a few times, but it’s been a few years. Great course, just pick the right tees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT