ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Anyone have kids who play in any of the junior tours around the state? My 11 year old daughter has taken up golf, as I have mentioned in this thread earlier and a lot of the teams who come for matches don't have any girls on their middle school team for her to play. I thought about putting her in a couple of Bluegrass Golf Tour events to let her get some tournament and match experience since she will probably be playing on the varsity team next year. Just curious what to expect with some of those tournaments.

I don't get mad on the course either. However if I'm not playing well and I know that my score is not going to be very good then I'm just ready to hurry up and finish the round.

Upgrading my 5 year old Cobra hybrids, really like them, but time to get more modern. Anyone use the hybrids with rails? Not sure I like the look of them, but they are supposed to be better out of rough and more stable.

Recommendations are welcome.

Upgrading my 5 year old Cobra hybrids, really like them, but time to get more modern. Anyone use the hybrids with rails? Not sure I like the look of them, but they are supposed to be better out of rough and more stable.

Recommendations are welcome.

I don't have hybrids with rails but do have a Cobra F8 3 wood with rails and I hit it better than any 3 wood I have ever played. Just a disclaimer that I suck so that isn't saying much. [laughing]

With that said I have the Titleist 818 H2 that I love. It doesn't have rails but I was about to give up on hybrids all together until I got that club.

When I was a kid I was fairly good (for a kid) and would get mad when I hit a bad shot.

Now I don't care. It is way more fun that way.

I didn't start playing golf until I was around 19 or 20 and the competitive side of me would come out when I hit a bad shot which was quite often. I would come home mad and swearing I would never go again. I finally decided to just quit because it wasn't fun anymore. About 10 years later my company I work for started sponsoring a team for a lot of local scrambles and needed employees to play so I started playing again but made the decision if I was going to play it was just for fun and to not act like I am making the tour and my next meal depends on how well I play. It has been way more enjoyable this time around.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
I don't have hybrids with rails but do have a Cobra F8 3 wood with rails and I hit it better than any 3 wood I have ever played. Just a disclaimer that I suck so that isn't saying much. [laughing]

With that said I have the Titleist 818 H2 that I love. It doesn't have rails but I was about to give up on hybrids all together until I got that club.

But now you suck less than before, so that is progress! I know I had a set of hybrids with rails years before, but did not know they had become a "thing" again. They just look strange to me.

How can you give up on hybrids? They are much easier to hit than long irons. Once I turned 50 years old, threw away my 4 iron, then the 5 iron got tossed a few years later. Whenever I have a choice between 6 iron and a high lofted hybrid, I pick the hybrid at least 2 out of three times, maybe 3 out of 4.

I don't know why but I just struggled with my old ones.

But now you suck less than before, so that is progress! I know I had a set of hybrids with rails years before, but did not know they had become a "thing" again. They just look strange to me.

How can you give up on hybrids? They are much easier to hit than long irons. Once I turned 50 years old, threw away my 4 iron, then the 5 iron got tossed a few years later. Whenever I have a choice between 6 iron and a high lofted hybrid, I pick the hybrid at least 2 out of three times, maybe 3 out of 4.

I cannot hit my 5I at all so I may be looking into a hybrid to replace that club. Dread trying to hit.

Exact same for me. Even the age. 52 now, and I hit nothing lower than 7 iron.

The lofts on irons have changed so drastically in the last 15 years that a 7 iron today has the equivalent loft of between a 5-6 iron in the past. It’s no surprise many don’t hit longer irons anymore.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I swing Adams hybrids and love them. Hit my 3/4/5 about 240/225/210 and they fly high.

What is your go to club? That one club that you feel most confident when it’s your hands and you need to hit a good shot.

For me it’s my 4 iron. It just feels right when I have it. I hit it better and more consistently than any other club in my bad. Which is weird because I’m the opposite with my 5 iron.

I can't hit a hybrid for dick, never have been able to. Must be the only casual player around who thinks a 3-4i is infinitely easier to hit.

I love my 3 and 4 hybrids. I think a lot of it is in our heads. I've never hit a driver consistently. Even Got fitted for an M6 last year, hit it great during the fitting, all over the place when I play.

What is your go to club? That one club that you feel most confident when it’s your hands and you need to hit a good shot.

For me it’s my 4 iron. It just feels right when I have it. I hit it better and more consistently than any other club in my bad. Which is weird because I’m the opposite with my 5 iron.

58 degree wedge. I hit if from 40-120 yards and control it very well.

4 hybrid. Even a mishit is a pretty good shot.

Reactions: Tskware

I just turned sixty and bought a new set of Cobra T-Rail Irons and love them. It took me 50 balls or so to get used to them but I'm a lot more consistent than I was with my other irons.

I can't hit a hybrid for dick, never have been able to. Must be the only casual player around who thinks a 3-4i is infinitely easier to hit.
I'm in the same boat. Absolutely hate hybrids because I cannot hit them. Had to go 3-PW with my T100s because of it.

23 or 24 degree loft hybrid, about 170 yard shot, can work it with a draw, or hit it high when I need to, prefer that over any other club.

Very inconsistent driver, and that is being kind, but my putting has improved a lot this year (a lot of practice), getting a lot more comfortable on the green.

One thing that has helped me some with my hybrids is hitting them more like irons than like a fairway wood. By that I mean more hitting down than a sweeping swing. I still am inconsistent with them but it is better.

Played Dale Hallow Lake's course last week. Not very long but have to know the course and hit in the right spots. Played the back tee which helped open it up a bit more for us. Was in great shape. Well worth the money. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Def recommend.

Reactions: KyFaninNC

21 degree hybrid. I love that club.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Saw an Austin Cook, listed as professional, did not do too well. Is this PGA Tour player Cook? Would make sense since they play Barbasol next week.

There is no Barbasol this year....it would have been the dates of The Memorial before the schedule changes were made.

Saw an Austin Cook, listed as professional, did not do too well. Is this PGA Tour player Cook? Would make sense since they play Barbasol next week.
No, that Cook would win this thing.
Austin Cook, PGA – Cook is an Assistant Golf Professional at Valhalla Golf Club, his latest stop on a resume filled with stellar clubs. He has also spent time working at The Honors Course in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Old Chatham Golf Club in Durham, North Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT