ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Tiger really is at the IDGAF point in his pro golfing life now. Dude knows he can still play, technically still the reigning Masters champ and knows he should break Snead's record shortly and a slight shot at Jack's major record. Has more money than he knows what to do with and is very involved with his kids lives.

Point being, I get why he skips so many events now but as a golf fan it is frustrating when he should be out there competing at a high level with those guys because as we have all seen with him there is no telling how much time he has left playing at the level he has been playing at if at all.

I’d go 20 footer.
Ecf2lLsXkAEAImt

Reactions: treuxbleux
PGA tour putting percentages...

3 feet - 99.4%
5 feet - 80.72%
10 feet - 41.25%
15-20 feet - 18.3%
25+ - 5.45%

Depends on the putt. If it is a simple center cup putt, give me the 5 footer for $100K. Breaker or upper / lower shelf, might as well shoot for the moon.

"The clowns laughing". How about putting around a TV tower , AFTER getting run over by a VW bug.

How about these courses that have the cup sticking up out of the hole so it just bounces off? So ridiculous.. makes you wonder why in the world anyone plays there. Speaking of which I also hate the little pool noodles, so distracting when I'm trying to make a critical 4 footer and it's kept a couple of my partners chip shots from staying down I'm pretty sure. A little piece of PVC is the way to go if you feel like you need to modify the cup but I really don't see the point but then again I'm no doctor..any courses out there with just regular cups?

Don’t even mind the flag/pool noodle or really care that much but damn it if we will never hear the satisfaction of the ball dropping to the bottom of the cup. Not sure if that ever comes back tbh.

Tell you what I miss....the clack clack of real spikes :(

Reactions: cole854
Speaking of which I also hate the little pool noodles, so distracting when I'm trying to make a critical 4 footer and it's kept a couple of my partners chip shots from staying down I'm pretty sure. A little piece of PVC is the way to go if you feel like you need to modify the cup but I really don't see the point but then again I'm no doctor..any courses out there with just regular cups?

The little noodle kept one of my chips from going down yesterday, as well as one cawood had.

The ball laying on the noodle or inside the cup....wth is the difference.

Reactions: sinker16
What I do not understand is that the virus has zero chance of living on the flag pole or cup right now with the UV light, heat, and humidity constantly in on them. Total overreaction leaving flags and noodles in them right now. That said, it’s not been a big deal.

Reactions: Tskware
Match play protocol question for the pros on the Paddock.

Played a guy yesterday, I got off to a great start, up 3 after 7, tied 8, and on 9, I had a tap in for par, he had about a 3 footer. So . . . I told him I had to see it. (and, I should mention, I had already given him at least two missable putts on the first 8 holes). Of course, he misses it, so now I am up 4. He is a great guy, we have played a lot together, and it didn't bother him, but I could tell the other 2 guys in our group (who had their own match going) thought I was being a dick.

Then I win 11, go 5 up. But he wins three straight holes, and on 15 hits his best drive of the day (he is longer than I am anyway). So when I teed up on 15, I am only 2 up, and my opponent might even be able to reach in 2, so I was damn glad I made him putt back on #9.

Scrambled my ass off for pars on 15 and 16 and closed him out on 17. Personally, I think if you don't want to have to putt out, then match play is not your cup of tea, that is just part of the strategy.

So what do you think - D bag or no?

Played a guy yesterday, I got off to a great start, up 3 after 7, tied 8, and on 9, I had a tap in for par, he had about a 3 footer. So . . . I told him I had to see it. (and, I should mention, I had already given him at least two missable putts on the first 8 holes). Of course, he misses it, so now I am up 4. He is a great guy, we have played a lot together, and it didn't bother him, but I could tell the other 2 guys in our group (who had their own match going) thought I was being a dick.

Then I win 11, go 5 up. But he wins three straight holes, and on 15 hits his best drive of the day (he is longer than I am anyway). So when I teed up on 15, I am only 2 up, and my opponent might even be able to reach in 2, so I was damn glad I made him putt back on #9.

Scrambled my ass off for pars on 15 and 16 and closed him out on 17. Personally, I think if you don't want to have to putt out, then match play is not your cup of tea, that is just part of the strategy.

If it’s for any amount of money, screw that. Make him putt anything more than a foot, IMO.

Can anyone find the tournament on TV? They teed of early. The article I saw said it would be on CBS from 11-2 but Face the Nation is on.

If it’s for any amount of money, screw that. Make him putt anything more than a foot, IMO.

We were playing for money

Justin's doing quite well even though he didn't win. I have to pull for the Kentucky guy. Gotta say though, the man has the personality of a garden slug.

D-bag? Nah... that’s just match play. But you’re also much less likely to be given a friendly benefit of the doubt in another situation in the future (ie... an opponent canceling your stroke at their discretion on a close determination of playing out of order).

Does anyone here play WGT Golf?

Before you make fun...I know folks from 18-75 who play regularly. Great game with a nice variety of courses.

We all do that....give some, make them putt some....especially if maybe has a break in it, downhill, for bird, etc....

Touch base w/ him just to let him know you hoped it didn't cause a riff between you going forward.

PGA Tour has been stupid good each week since its return. Yesterday was essentially match play the back nine and it was stellar. Major stones for these young guns.

Not at all. I play CGA inter club matches here and it is all match play. I give some putts early in the match, especially if we are halving the hole. Toward the end, I make them putt. I always say to them “look, I know you can make that putt, but I need to see it go in, the match is tight. On my end, I always expect that I will have to make all my putts.

PGA Tour has been stupid good each week since its return. Yesterday was essentially match play the back nine and it was stellar. Major stones for these young guns.

Bet JT is kicking his own ass tho. He gave that away. But the two putts both guys made on the second playoff hole was amazing stuff.

We all do that....give some, make them putt some....especially if maybe has a break in it, downhill, for bird, etc....

Touch base w/ him just to let him know you hoped it didn't cause a riff between you going forward.

Saw him yesterday we r good.

Reactions: parrott
When you play for money then be ready to putt everything. If you want play that with strategy then give them early and make them putt later in the round. Either way, if you play for money then you should understand it doesn't count until it hits the foam.

Reactions: FargenBastich
Fair game in match play, i would have probably given it being 3 up, but im certainly not going to get upset if i guy ask me to make one. One could even use it for his own motivation to make a comeback on your non giving kick in ass.

Reactions: treuxbleux
If you have ever watched Ryder Cup, you know it happens all the time. I give putts inside the "leather", but if it is a 4-5 footer, putt it out. I expect the same. My son picked up a four-five footer for par yesterday. I was like "You not putting that ?" I told , it is fine, getting that will help confidence. I didn't want him to miss a straight little putt and get frustrated after playing a really nice chip from off the green over a bunker. No money involved, it was a nice little father/son Sunday outing. I was kidding with him.

I try to be as lenient as possible at the start of the match. Anything close to the leather I will give. But as soon as I have to putt a 3 footer, I will return the favor.

Pretty neat tool, I know it is not a perfect way to figure, greens will not be in as good of shape as he is used to putting on. It would be cool to see him come and play Olde Stone for about 8-10 rounds. he would destroy it obviously, but just to see what he could do.

Bryson front 9 on driving holes...

354 fairway; 117 in...par
362 fairway; 205 in...par
359 rough; 82 in...par
274 rough; 93 in...bogey
308 fairway; 249 in...birdie
407 fairway; 66 in...par
323 first cut; 157 in...par

@CBSSportsHQ

Longest drives @MemorialGolf so far today (At the 473 yard Par 4 17th) 1. Bryson DeChambeau 407 yards 2. Cameron Champ 374 yards 3. Patrick Cantlay 368 yards 4. Wyndham Clark 354 yards

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT