ADVERTISEMENT

Giving Coach Cal Credit, because it's due (at least from me)

runt#69

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2010
Maricopa, AZ.
Basically I was simply going to make a post about one thing.

Tre Mitchell.

AND how incredible a player and asset it is to have him on this particular team roster....

and then it finally dawned on me. This really should be about Coach Cal

Why? Because with this recruiting class (in particular) he had a vision of this team and a guy like Tre Mitchell comes in for the idea he has, and suddenly changes the complete and total look of the face of Kentucky basketball. And all you have to do is watch this Kentucky basketball team this year, how they play, and it all makes sense. What an incredible vision Cal has had in what this team could be.

And we're not even talking who we DON'T have on the court. Let's not get started about THAT.

And that's where the thought began. Thank God for Tre Mitchell on this year's team. He's a perfect fit, a natural leader and fine example of a senior that's paid his dues, comes in, and makes a big splash. He's the best transfer in the country. And what an awesome move and decision even COMING to Kentucky to begin with was, for Tre, really. I've loved watching him out there on the court and the spacing when he is out there, it's a thing of beaty, for the most part. In other words, a totally modern, "fast PASTE" (like we like it) offensive flow while taking advantage of the three point line.

Pretty simple, really.

But I digress.

I have to apologize to Coach Cal heading into this year and me being pretty vocal in my disapproval of his overall job. So, he did what he is paid to do. But the end product is worth actually being invested in to go through a season in giving 100% support and not feeling empty by the end. My tank was long since dry to even say I was excited to watch a Kentucky basketball game.

So thanks, Coach Cal. And I'm sorry I had been riding your ass so hard, yelling "GO!" - all while watching kentucky basketball games on TV. Thanks for making it "fun" to watch the boys again.

Peace and harmony to one and all.

Go Big Blue !

tenor.gif

I’d say it instead should be about Bob Huggins. He was the real hero in the Mitchell recruiting story. He delivered us an unexpected gift from the heavens by getting himself fired with a final straw drunken screw up. After all, that is the only reason Mitchell fell to us late as a mid-summer surprise.

Thanks Huggy Bear, we won’t forget what you’ve done for us.

Tre Mitchell.

AND how incredible a player and asset it is to have him on this particular team roster....

Why? Because with this recruiting class (in particular) he had a vision of this team and a guy like Tre Mitchell comes in for the idea he has, and suddenly changes the complete and total look of the face of Kentucky basketball. And all you have to do is watch this Kentucky basketball team this year, how they play, and it all makes sense. What an incredible vision Cal has had in what this team could be.

And we're not even talking who we DON'T have on the court. Let's not get started about THAT.

And that's where the thought began. Thank God for Tre Mitchell on this year's team. He's a perfect fit, a natural leader and fine example of a senior that's paid his dues, comes in, and makes a big splash. He's the best transfer in the country. And what an awesome move and decision even COMING to Kentucky to begin with was, for Tre, really. I've loved watching him out there on the court and the spacing when he is out there, it's a thing of beaty, for the most part. In other words, a totally modern, "fast PASTE" (like we like it) offensive flow while taking advantage of the three point line.

Pretty simple, really.

But I digress.

I have to apologize to Coach Cal heading into this year and me being pretty vocal in my disapproval of his overall job. So, he did what he is paid to do. But the end product is worth actually being invested in to go through a season in giving 100% support and not feeling empty by the end. My tank was long since dry to even say I was excited to watch a Kentucky basketball game.

So thanks, Coach Cal. And I'm sorry I had been riding your ass so hard, yelling "GO!" - all while watching kentucky basketball games on TV. Thanks for making it "fun" to watch the boys again.

Go Big Blue !
Get ready to get gutted, flayed, scalped, blackballed, taken out of context and generally abused. This is a Ky basketball forum and therefore positive statements about the program are heresy and high treason.

Your boy is 0-1 against legit competition. So maybe come back after Miami, UNC and the three or four decent teams we face in SEC play and start stroking.
Agreed. However, this new offense is sooooo much better to watch. The wife and I can honestly thoroughly enjoy watching the Cats play games again. Past several years has been more boring than watching paint dry.

Tre Mitchell.

Pretty simple, really.

But I digress.

Go Big Blue !
Now what Cal should do is make sure he scouts and recruits someone who plays similar to him every single year when possible. He should value passing, and shooting. After watching this team I don’t see how he could not. Welch should absolutely be on recruiting trips to help analyze who will benefit our style.

Agreed. However, this new offense is sooooo much better to watch. The wife and I can honestly thoroughly enjoy watching the Cats play games again. Past several years has been more boring than watching paint dry.
Watching these guys take care of the ball and pass it is a thing of beauty. The weave is gone! It’s beautiful.

The best thing cal did was hire Welch. It's amazing the difference in offense. It's literally unrecognizable
I will give Cal some credit too. I think he brought him on for the purpose of changing the offense. Now if only he had someone who could change the 3 pt shooting defense. With the way visiting teams seem to shoot the 3 in Rupp, and Miami being one of the best 3 pt shooting teams it worries me. If we shoot like last game we win. If we struggle we loose.

Reactions: runt#69
I’d say it instead should be about Bob Huggins. He was the real hero in the Mitchell recruiting story. He delivered us an unexpected gift from the heavens by getting himself fired with a final straw drunken screw up. After all, that is the only reason Mitchell fell to us late as a mid-summer surprise.

Thanks Huggy Bear, we won’t forget what you’ve done for us.
It doesn't matter how we got him, we did. And no other coach played Mitchell like Cal is. More talent there than the other coaches saw. He's the prefect fit for this team.

Reactions: runt#69
Mitchell is a good player to have with this bunch of freshmen but, I’m not giving credit until the end of the season. Better to be safe than sorry!
Mitchell's been great so far. He's already stretching the floor, but once we get Bradshaw or one of the other big men in there, he could really become that stretch 4 type player we've been missing since Derek WIllis.

Tre Mitchell.

Pretty simple, really.

But I digress.

Go Big Blue !
It is a little early to be cutting down the nets after beating a few JV teams at home. Just remember what Cal has done with top ranked recruiting class the past 8 years.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
The best thing cal did was hire Welch. It's amazing the difference in offense. It's literally unrecognizable
And thanks for the responses, everyone. Welch has got to be given a lot of credit in the transformation this year, and the personnel. I appreciate that pickup. I've really liked what I've heard from the whole vibe around the situation too, as, I think, we all have.

And yes, there is a lot to prove here, for those that are (Rightfully so) still demanding excellence in performance from the ole' head ball coach. And to be honest, we all need a little kick in the pants, I think even Coach Cal may have kicked himself somewhat, because there's big changes to what we're seeing.

And I think I can say, at least for me, that, yes, just in watching the actual GAMES, Cal has done what he needed to do to bring that excitement and style of , dare I say it ...

FAST PASTE

offense , that we all crave and love.

I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic & hope even Cal's bad habits ain't gonna get in the way THIS year. It's a totally different style that we're getting to see and watch, game in, game out, from this team.

Thanks for one and all that's posted and shared a thought or two. I totally missed the opportunity to even mention Welch, and I'm glad that oversight has been seen to. Many Thanks.

And I, for one, applaud what I am seeing.

This is a fun college basketball team to see play.

Go Big Blue !

Tre Mitchell.

Pretty simple, really.

But I digress.

Go Big Blue !
Cal willing to change his style and rack up points. Never thought I would see that. Then the recruiting part has accelerated to another level up. Deserves plenty of credit for this and bringing in a couple of coaches that helps get into more modern day thinking and playing.

Reactions: Cats192
FAST PASTE

offense , that we all crave and love.

To me it's way more than that. Cal teams never had an issue running because they usually were insane athletes.

The half court offense was always the issue. The ball stuck all the time and had so much wasted time and movement with useless dribbles going nowhere. With Welch, the ball never sticks and every movement has a purpose.

The half court offense is so much improved, but for their UK uniforms this in no way resembles anything cal ever ran here.

Yes , I give him credit for that ! I’ll wait and see how the season plays out and if we continue to play this way or if Cal reverts back to his nature before I make any apologies though . We have a chance to improve our record against ranked teams since 2015 to 27-35 tonight!

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Can we win an actual basketball game against a legit team before we forgive all of Cals failures?

This team has won literally nothing yet. You guys are jumping the gun in a massive way.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKNothinButNet
I haven't seen anything yet that is that much different. Yes-we probably have a better roster, but he's always been dedicated and good at that. Outside of that, we haven't beaten anyone and he doesn't seem to be game coaching much differently.

I haven't seen anything yet that is that much different. Yes-we probably have a better roster, but he's always been dedicated and good at that. Outside of that, we haven't beaten anyone and he doesn't seem to be game coaching much differently.
The offense is completely different than what we've seen under Cal. We went from the dreaded "dribble drive" where guys dribbled the ball for 5-6 seconds, then passed the ball, rinse and repeat. We'd do that until there was 2 seconds on the shot clock and then launch a terrible shot. We liked to post up Oscar a lot too. We'd clog up the lane and no one could ever get into the paint.

This team is playing 2023 modernized baskestball. We're spreading out the defense. We're not clogging the paint with a big man. We're pulling them (and the defense) away from the basket. We're setting records in 3 point attempts and makes in the Calipari era.

He's used timeouts during key moments. He has drawn up inbounds plays.

We went from recruiting elite athletes that can't shoot to shooters.

All of my gripes about Cal are things he has changed.

The offense is completely different than what we've seen under Cal. We went from the dreaded "dribble drive" where guys dribbled the ball for 5-6 seconds, then passed the ball, rinse and repeat. We'd do that until there was 2 seconds on the shot clock and then launch a terrible shot. We liked to post up Oscar a lot too. We'd clog up the lane and no one could ever get into the paint.

This team is playing 2023 modernized baskestball. We're spreading out the defense. We're not clogging the paint with a big man. We're pulling them (and the defense) away from the basket. We're setting records in 3 point attempts and makes in the Calipari era.

He's used timeouts during key moments. He has drawn up inbounds plays.

We went from recruiting elite athletes that can't shoot to shooters.

All of my gripes about Cal are things he has changed.
I didn't even have to look at who you were replying to to know that he doesn't understand basketball. Like if you think this is the same basketball we've seen the last few years, you are sorely mistaken.

I didn't even have to look at who you were replying to to know that he doesn't understand basketball. Like if you think this is the same basketball we've seen the last few years, you are sorely mistaken.
Same results against ranked team…

Same results against ranked team…
Some of us are able to evaluate basketball outside of 1 game vs Kansas. You're not. I get it. Some of you think that's the only game we've played.

I've watched this team for 31 years now. I recognize good basketball and bad basketball. I've seen a lot of bad basketball under Cal the last 3 years. The on the court product is very different this year. I fully expect the results vs ranked teams will follow.

And while you can't say we're a great team after beating the pants off cupcakes--we used to not beat the pants off all the cupcakes. The last few years, we've let these crappy teams hang around. This team's November results are closer to the 2010-2015 Calipari teams.

Yes and we had the then #1 ranked team down by 14 and couldn't close the deal. that's what happens to youngsters. GO CATS

• Haha
Reactions: Mdnerd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT