ADVERTISEMENT

Getting guys like Wallace is the ONLY way Cal wins

UKMKG

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2012
Without Wallace making plays outside of the offense we simply don’t win this game. Stall ball with 4 minutes to go up 8 almost cost us this one…again. That’s coaching.

Without superior talent Cal is Tom Crean without Wade.

Last edited:
It probably is, but so what?

Cal likes to spend his time recruiting and dealing with new guys.. other coaches don't like recruiting and inexperience, and would rather have 4-year players that know the offense inside and out.

He's proven that he can make guys like Cason work, and get wins. Obviously we need to see more from him, but still, no reason someone like Cason can't be a 18/5 guy in March and carrying us to a Final 4.

The point is doing the best you can with the players you get. That's where Cal fails. He just tries getting the best players and hoping they can carry him to the win. I honestly think they could probably perform as well with no coach on the bench.

If Cal only wins because of his players why is it when we lose it's all his fault. There has to be player accountability. No matter how bad a coach is he doesn't teach his players to miss free throws, make unforced turnovers etc. This isn't to defend anybody but at some point players take over the game and our guys are making a lot of mistakes in crunch time in the 3 games against good opponents. The good news is we came out on top today and maybe learning from their mistakes in a win will help them more than losing. Got to get this stuff cleaned up because we're going to be in a lot of close games in the conference.

Um that’s how all teams that win titles eventually win.

You get talented players and they make big plays

I mean wtf lol

Yeah there’s coaches out there that can do well without getting supreme talent. But they aren’t winning anything of note

The point is doing the best you can with the players you get. That's where Cal fails. He just tries getting the best players and hoping they can carry him to the win. I honestly think they could probably perform as well with no coach on the bench.
We definitely need to shoot better free throws only 50% today!! That would have made us 10 points better than Michigan..

If Cal only wins because of his players why is it when we lose it's all his fault. There has to be player accountability. No matter how bad a coach is he doesn't teach his players to miss free throws, make unforced turnovers etc. This isn't to defend anybody but at some point players take over the game and our guys are making a lot of mistakes in crunch time in the 3 games against good opponents. The good news is we came out on top today and maybe learning from their mistakes in a win will help them more than losing. Got to get this stuff cleaned up because we're going to be in a lot of close games in the conference.
You are one of the few intelligent posters on this board. I agree with you 100%. This team is not a team that is much more talented than most of the teams it will play against this year. They will probably be in a lot of close games. Cal coached very well today. Some of the players, including Oscar, made some bone-headed mistakes. Overall Kentucky played a good game. The defense was very good. The offense was nowhere near as bad as most of the posters on this board claim. We had some players who missed some open shots. We have a sensational freshman point guard who makes too many mistakes right now to be the primary ball handler. The lead guard is simply too reckless at times and he can't hit free throws in the clutch. The team, in general, must continue to develop chemistry. They have to cut down on mistakes. They also have to learn to hit clutch free throws. The coach is doing his job. This team will continue to improve. This victory will help them gain confidence.

Whatever I don't give a damn keep bringing me cason Wallace type players LOL. He's one of the best Cals ever brought in here. He just has a way about him that I like a lot . kind of see that Cliff Hawkins mentality in him.

Nothing to say to rebut, so you resort to the same ol' same ol'. Good for you.

Interesting that your account was created the day after ANOTHER Cal loss in the SEC tourney to Tenn. Whose sock are you?
Oh, you mean my latest account?

Where do you idiots come up with this crap? If Cal doesn’t get top players you want to fire him because he can’t recruit. When he does get top players, you say that’s the only reason he wins. No shit. Teams win with talent. The more talent you have, the more you win. Hands down, we have sone of the dumbest fans in the country. I’m embarrassed for you.

My only real gripe with Cals coaching today was I would have taken Oscar out when he got his first foul with1;21 in the half to keep him from getting another cheap foul before the half, which is exactly what he did. Other than that I though he coached a decent game

Bingo. A common refrain on this board recently is to chalk up the high points of the Cal era as the players winning in spite of him, but the low points are always Cal's fault. Neither party is without blame when we lose, but the lack of nuance here is often frustrating.

Reactions: Graham51 and ORCAT
My only real gripe with Cals coaching today was I would have taken Oscar out when he got his first foul with1;21 in the half to keep him from getting another cheap foul before the half, which is exactly what he did. Other than that I though he coached a decent game
That and having reeves on the bench to end the half. that was malpractice.

I really don’t get you fans who are satisfied with a coach who hasn’t won us a title in yrs.
Who the helm is satisfied? I’m not. But atm we’re stuck with him. Gotta nod my head when he wins and give him hell when he loses. Such is the life of a UK coach.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Who the helm is satisfied? I’m not. But atm we’re stuck with him. Gotta nod my head when he wins and give him hell when he loses. Such is the life of a UK coach.
That’s where I am as well. I don’t fall for the tribalism. A lot of people on this board have already chosen a side and they will never back away from it. All in with the love or all in with the hate. Shame.

Without Wallace making plays outside of the offense we simply don’t win this game. Stall ball with 4 minutes to go up 8 almost cost us this one…again.
What are you on about, LOL. We were up 8 and Wheeler had a turn over, shot a deep two off a screen and air balled. Oscar missed a baseline J, Toppin missed a baseline J. And all of those occurred with plenty of time on SC.

It's like saying Cal can only win when he scores more points than the other team. There are a lot of bright posters on this board...<sarcasm>
its they same ole bunch, you know Hey its Monday let's make a stupid post bitching about how Cal can't coach, then tomorrow it will be hey its Tuesday lets ................................

Cal needs a PG who constantly beat his man off the dribble and finish, and a elite shot blocker at the 5 spot, at 2 guards is Usually where he needs a go to scorer think money/Murray mold, and then he needs post threat who can get the ball and score on the block. After that he doesn’t prioritize shooting, or versatility if your athletic he likes you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT