ADVERTISEMENT

From a draft stock perspective, what would it have hurt for Shaedon Sharpe to play the last month of the season?

It was ridiculous not to play in the tournament when Grady and Ty Ty were hobbled out there and Wheeler was embarrassing himself with airballed FTs.

You don't have to know the plays to have an impact when you're THAT good ... Sharpe is legit. Give him the ball and get out of the way. Play defense. HELP THE TEAM.

When was sharpe ineligible for the draft? It was admitted by all when the news broke that the news was nothing new and they knew all the time but the plan was still to play at UK the following year. So either cal didn’t know he was eligible (dumb AF) or he knew he was eligible but being a first round top 10 pick would play for him instead (dumb AF) or he helped orchestrate the whole thing. Cals comments after it broke tells you all you need to know. He was all over the place on the reasoning sharpe wasn’t playing for about 2 weeks before the sat down with his people and he will not play comment was released. No one making up false narrative here. It’s as plain as the nose on your face that is stuck up Cals ass.
When was Sharpe ineligible for the draft? When he didn’t graduate a full year before the 2022 NBA draft and thus was not eligible for the 2022 draft per NBA rules. Then in April of 2022, 2 months before the NBA draft, his high school magically found paperwork and said he graduated in May of 2021.

After supposedly graduating in May he stayed in HS and played in the winter of 2021. His transcript’s and every other thing people were operating off of was that graduated in December. I’m laughing at the notion that Cal knew that a kid who played basketball for his HS team in the 1st semester of 2021-22 school year really graduated the school year before. It doesn’t even make sense. His HS made up some BS to get him eligible and people with an agenda who don’t care about the truth used it to slander Cal.

All of this is easy to verify yet y’all claim he had to know or was dumb fair not knowing. Yeah, sure.

When was Sharpe ineligible for the draft? When he didn’t graduate a full year before the 2022 NBA draft and thus was not eligible for the 2022 draft per NBA rules. Then in April of 2022, 2 months before the NBA draft, his high school magically found paperwork and said he graduated in May of 2021.

After supposedly graduating in May he stayed in HS and played in the winter of 2021. His transcript’s and every other thing people were operating off of was that graduated in December. I’m laughing at the notion that Cal knew that a kid who played basketball for his HS team in the 1st semester of 2021-22 school year really graduated the school year before. It doesn’t even make sense. His HS made up some BS to get him eligible and people with an agenda who don’t care about the truth used it to slander Cal.

All of this is easy to verify yet y’all claim he had to know or was dumb fair not knowing. Yeah, sure.
So sharpe wasn’t made eligible for the draft until 2 months prior to the draft? Weird!!!! Guess the news that broke in January of 2022 was all just fake news that we bought into. 😂 at you!!!

• i

Jonathan Givony, ESPNJan 20, 2022, 01:48 PM ET

Shaedon Sharpe, who was ESPN's No. 1 prospect in the 2022 high school class before he joined the Kentucky Wildcats in early January, can apply for the 2022 NBA draft as an early-entry candidate, a source told ESPN on Thursday.

Absolutely laughing at the "new" posters here to defend Cal and stir the pot. They don't have the balls to stick with a username for more than 500 or so posts before they get laughed off the board.

It's pretty good entertainment, but feels a bit like laughing at a train wreck to pick on them.

I think most rational fans know at this point that Calipari will do whatever he can for the players. He is all about getting them ready for the NBA and advising them to enter the draft when it appears best for them. I have no problems with this approach. What I have a problem with is that he told everyone that Sharpe would play for UK when it was clear he never intended to. There is no reason to lie to the fan base...just be honest about the situation, let the fan base rage, and continue on.

The young man is becoming a stud for the Blazers.

I keep looking back at his decision to not suit up for Kentucky. What was the rationale there? From all accounts, he was dazzling in practices that winter/spring and was the best player in the practice gym.

It seems like the most selfish decision in the history of our program, and I'm not even sure what the defense would be at this point.
Hell no it wouldn’t have and it would have made that team infinitely better. To have a dude who could beat his man and shoot from outside. He’s a selfish jackass and I hope he trips over his feet and never plays again.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think most rational fans know at this point that Calipari will do whatever he can for the players. He is all about getting them ready for the NBA and advising them to enter the draft when it appears best for them. I have no problems with this approach. What I have a problem with is that he told everyone that Sharpe would play for UK when it was clear he never intended to. There is no reason to lie to the fan base...just be honest about the situation, let the fan base rage, and continue on.
That’s how you know that cal knew. That was the spin cal tried putting on is that sharpe would play for UK the next year and then act all blindsided when he didn’t.

Cal even pushed for Diallo to do it! Told him not to play in combine and possibly show weaknesses. Paraphrasing: “if they don’t know, don’t show them.”
That’s one thing about Cal I absolutely hate, it used to be Succed and proceed and then after 2015 he just said screw it. Proceed and damn the wins at all.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
So Cal took a guy he knew wasn’t gonna play? Oh and he paved the way? Based on what besides your need to make a negative Cal post? That’s not even logical.
Cal took him if he knew or not if he would play. and sharp wouldn’t have had a path to not play if one had not been paved for him, say, by someone with authority. and he contributed nothing to the team by sitting on the bench all season, because someone with the authority to allow or disallow him to do so, allowed it.
Maybe i’m missing something?

This is the reason I don't think Cal was in on any of it. Does anyone know if Sharpe's photo is up at the Craft Center?

I think this is a Hanlon's razor type situation. Cal took a chance on a #1 ranked guy who had some question marks around. He heard the answers he wanted to hear and probably didn't push as hard as he could have to see if Sharpe and his camp would actually follow through on what they said. In the end they didn't and Cal had egg on his face.

And for those asking why didn't Cal kick him off the team, he didn't because if he did it may have shut the door on future Klutch kids like Bradshaw.
I personally don't care if that's what would have happened. Have some integrity, FFS. It was wrong the first time. Cal knew damn well what was going on, and he doubled down on his generational poverty mission (at the expense of UK's success) by mocking the fans and asking them to come out and watch him practice. It's disgusting. I can't wait for the day that Cal is nowhere near the program and we don't have to see him damage the product on the court every game.

Reactions: crestcat
So sharpe wasn’t made eligible for the draft until 2 months prior to the draft? Weird!!!! Guess the news that broke in January of 2022 was all just fake news that we bought into. 😂 at you!!!

• i

Jonathan Givony, ESPNJan 20, 2022, 01:48 PM ET

Shaedon Sharpe, who was ESPN's No. 1 prospect in the 2022 high school class before he joined the Kentucky Wildcats in early January, can apply for the 2022 NBA draft as an early-entry candidate, a source told ESPN on Thursday.
Yeah, the school came out and said he graduated in April, 2 months before the draft like I said. He allegedly graduated HS in May then came back to high school in the fall after graduating, played basketball for them, and graduated again in December.

Again, LOL at the notion that had to know when the HS pulled some shady BS.

I personally don't care if that's what would have happened. Have some integrity, FFS. It was wrong the first time. Cal knew damn well what was going on, and he doubled down on his generational poverty mission (at the expense of UK's success) by mocking the fans and asking them to come out and watch him practice. It's disgusting. I can't wait for the day that Cal is nowhere near the program and we don't have to see him damage the product on the court every game.
Cal knew damn well that a guy not eligible for the draft when he committed would be eligible for the draft? OK Karen.

Well , either he knew or he got played like a fiddle. I don’t know which is worse .
Everyone did, he was a 2022 recruit who played in the fall of 2021 and supposedly graduated in December and enrolled early. By every know indication he was ineligible for the 2022 draft because he didn’t graduate a year before the draft… until he magically did. Why do you think he should have known the school would pull out a magic May graduation after saying he graduated in December?

Yeah, the school came out and said he graduated in April, 2 months before the draft like I said. He allegedly graduated HS in May then came back to high school in the fall after graduating, played basketball for them, and graduated again in December.

Again, LOL at the notion that had to know when the HS pulled some shady BS.
No they did not. He was eligible for the draft in January 2022 (see date of article) The school did not have to release a statement in April 2022 saying anything about his graduation date. The only speculation was did he graduate in May of 21 or by October of 21 but it was well known by all he had sufficient credits for graduation prior to the start of the nba season and with his age he would indeed be eligible for the draft. This was all made known publicly in January 2022 and sharpes camp said this was known all along but did not change the plan. All of this is easily verified as you continue to point out but you just refuse to see the truth.

Reactions: NociHTTP
No they did not. He was eligible for the draft in January 2022 (see date of article) The school did not have to release a statement in April 2022 saying anything about his graduation date. The only speculation was did he graduate in May of 21 or by October of 21 but it was well known by all he had sufficient credits for graduation prior to the start of the nba season and with his age he would indeed be eligible for the draft. This was all made known publicly in January 2022 and sharpes camp said this was known all along but did not change the plan. All of this is easily verified as you continue to point out but you just refuse to see the truth.
Uh yeah, they absolutely did. Sharpe committed in November, it was assumed by everyone that he graduated in the first semester of the 2021-22 school year because he played high school basketball then. The Givony article was from January and cites an unnamed source. I guess Cal should have looked 3 months into the future and read Givony’s article about Sharpe. He should have known the who played High School basketball in October actually graduated in May and was eligible for the draft. That’s laughable.

The high school absolutely said in April 2 months before the draft that they had paperwork showing he graduated in May, not October when he was still playing High School basketball. Graduating in the fall of 2021 would make his graduating class 2021-22 and ineligible for the draft. The rule is your graduating class has to be one year removed from the NBA draft.

Uh yeah, they absolutely did. Sharpe committed in November, it was assumed by everyone that he graduated in the first semester of the 2021-22 school year because he played high school basketball then. The Givony article was from January and cites an unnamed source. I guess Cal should have looked 3 months into the future and read Givony’s article about Sharpe. He should have known the who played High School basketball in October actually graduated in May and was eligible for the draft. That’s laughable.

The high school absolutely said in April 2 months before the draft that they had paperwork showing he graduated in May, not October when he was still playing High School basketball. Graduating in the fall of 2021 would make his graduating class 2021-22 and ineligible for the draft. The rule is your graduating class has to be one year removed from the NBA draft.

I love the “Cal should have known” info that was rumored in January when he was recruiting 3 months earlier take.

Everyone did, he was a 2022 recruit who played in the fall of 2021 and supposedly graduated in December and enrolled early. By every know indication he was ineligible for the 2022 draft because he didn’t graduate a year before the draft… until he magically did. Why do you think he should have known the school would pull out a magic May graduation after saying he graduated in December?
I might buy into that if Cal hadn’t allowed Diallio to do the same thing. He only came back because he didn’t get the draft projection he was hoping for.

that intuition thing still not working well for you. Why don’t you take a rest and catch your breath before your next clever comeback. Think this one took a lot out of you.
Only a dope, and a Louisville student would ask for the accused to prove their innocence. Nobody has to prove a negative. You make the ridiculous, brain dead accusation. You prove it.

Only a dope, and a Louisville student would ask for the accused to prove their innocence. Nobody has to prove a negative. You make the ridiculous, brain dead accusation. You prove it.
You accused me of being a Louisville law student so prove it.

You’re not very good at this. First of all, sharpe committed in September, not November. The verification by the high school you are referring to in April 2022 was them confirming his graduation date of May. This wasn’t new information they were releasing rather confirming. Reports of him enrolling for the fall semester despite having sufficient credits for graduation are easily found. His enrolling and playing (if he did, as I didn’t keep up with him) I can’t speak of as unsure what rules are in place in that regard.

Kyle Tucker

@KyleTucker_ATH
·
Follow
Shaedon Sharpe being eligible for the next NBA draft is not news to Kentucky. It’s not a new development. It’s something neither Sharpe’s camp nor UK wanted out because of all the speculation it would create. As of today, whether he plays this year or not, he plans to stay at UK.
1:03 PM · Jan 20, 2022
https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref...46000/frame.html&tweet_id=1484240190923280384

It wasn't at the expense of the team. Sharpe was never going to play once he became eligible for the draft. The team was what it was going to be at that point. If anything, one could argue that practicing against Sharpe could have improved the players competing against him in practice - though I think marginally if at all.

The damning thing Calipari did was lie to the fanbase and say that Sharpe was going to play when he knew it was highly unlikely.

Reactions: blubo
Cal knew damn well that a guy not eligible for the draft when he committed would be eligible for the draft? OK Karen.
I remember when it was announced the Sharpe was eligible for the draft. Everyone who knew anything said Sharpe was a lotto pick and that he wouldn't play in college. Yet, Calipari continued to say that Sharpe was coming back to UK to play.

Maybe he was told that by his handlers, but that would go against everything Calipari has advised for lotto picks that he coached. He knew Sharpe was going to be lotto. He knew Sharpe wasn't coming back - hell, he probably wouldn't have let him. Yet, he continued to lie to the fanbase. And, that's my only problem with it - there is no need to lie. Had Calipari said..."Sharpe will not likely be back to play for UK after the change in circumstances. But, he is committed to helping the players in practice by competing at a high level." The fanbase would have still raged because most of those who hate Calipari...do so not because of the Sharpe situation. But, at least it would have been the truth. He even taunted the fanbase by telling them to show up and watch Sharpe in pre-game warmups. Just...not good on Calipari's part.

Reactions: STL_Cat
It actually could have helped him go higher in the draft. But the problem is the uncertainty about it. If he came out and flopped or the team got worse after his addition, his stock could have plummeted.

It all depends on how you approach it or look at it. If you're supremely confident in your ability, you take on all comers. If you're uncertain but you've got the prognosticators believing and the measurables in your corner, you just sit and cash your check. He chose the latter option. He screwed over UK in the process, but he's getting paid, and it appears the check is growing.

It actually could have helped him go higher in the draft. But the problem is the uncertainty about it. If he came out and flopped or the team got worse after his addition, his stock could have plummeted.

It all depends on how you approach it or look at it. If you're supremely confident in your ability, you take on all comers. If you're uncertain but you've got the prognosticators believing and the measurables in your corner, you just sit and cash your check. He chose the latter option. He screwed over UK in the process, but he's getting paid, and it appears the check is growing.
But, when you are projected Top 5. How do you improve your stock? Had he come out and scored 25 a game and grabbed 10 boards, he doesn't move in the draft. Had he played, turned his ankle or not played as well as expected, he would have fallen. That's the long way of saying the risk outweighed the reward.

He had no business playing college basketball. If he were my son, I would have advised him the same in regards to the draft. Where they ALL went wrong was the smoke and mirrors. There was no need for any of that.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
But, when you are projected Top 5. How do you improve your stock? Had he come out and scored 25 a game and grabbed 10 boards, he doesn't move in the draft. Had he played, turned his ankle or not played as well as expected, he would have fallen. That's the long way of saying the risk outweighed the reward.

He had no business playing college basketball. If he were my son, I would have advised him the same in regards to the draft. Where they ALL went wrong was the smoke and mirrors. There was no need for any of that.
Yeah, it's hard to argue with that. When you think of it from a parent perspective, it changes your thinking. From a UK POV, it just stinks.

Reactions: jjsomer
You’re not very good at this. First of all, sharpe committed in September, not November. The verification by the high school you are referring to in April 2022 was them confirming his graduation date of May. This wasn’t new information they were releasing rather confirming. Reports of him enrolling for the fall semester despite having sufficient credits for graduation are easily found. His enrolling and playing (if he did, as I didn’t keep up with him) I can’t speak of as unsure what rules are in place in that regard.

Kyle Tucker

@KyleTucker_ATH
·
Follow
Shaedon Sharpe being eligible for the next NBA draft is not news to Kentucky. It’s not a new development. It’s something neither Sharpe’s camp nor UK wanted out because of all the speculation it would create. As of today, whether he plays this year or not, he plans to stay at UK.
1:03 PM · Jan 20, 2022
https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref...46000/frame.html&tweet_id=1484240190923280384
You’re not very good at this. You don’t even know the qualifications to enter the NBA draft but make these broad proclamations. You think a dude legitimately graduated from HS in May and returned the next school year and played basketball. You lack basic common sense and have an anti Cal agenda. Any ignorance to be negative. Going back to high school after graduating makes sense to you, well your agenda anyway. Always ignorance followed by “reports” just like all the Klutch lies.

A high school graduate returned to high school… AFTER GRADUATING and played high school basketball. Yup that screams he graduated in May. Cal definitely should have known a guy who played high school basketball in October actually graduated in May. That only makes sense to people with an agenda. He also should have known the school of the guy who returned to high school and played in October would not only be eligible for the draft but would lie and declare for the draft. Declare for the draft after his school lied and said he graduated in May.

He couldn’t have screwed over uk unless he was allowed to do so.
UK basketball playing and winning at a high level was a lower priority than sharp’s personal goals. simple.

Reactions: Boyd94
You’re not very good at this. You don’t even know the qualifications to enter the NBA draft but make these broad proclamations. You think a dude legitimately graduated from HS in May and returned the next school year and played basketball. You lack basic common sense and have an anti Cal agenda. Any ignorance to be negative. Going back to high school after graduating makes sense to you, well your agenda anyway. Always ignorance followed by “reports” just like all the Klutch lies.
I do know the qualifications for entering the nba draft. You have to graduate one year before the start of the nba season and turn 19 during the draft year. Where in my post do I state otherwise? As long as he has enough credits to graduate by the start of the NBA season in 2022 he was eligible which is apparently what occurred. Was his true graduation date May or October the only true question but either way he met the qualification of being eligible. Everyone knew this when sharpe reclassified in November. It’s plausible this was not known by cal in September when he accepted his commitment but he would have certainly known following the reclass unless of course you think cal is just stupid. It was very apparent in January that sharpe would never play here yet cal let him stay on the team. So assume for a second cal is just stupid (not that far fetched) and got blindsided by this he could easily asked sharpe to leave the team since he refused to play, but he didn’t as he knew that was the plan all along.

I don't think anyone can say for sure one way or another. It woulda been mid season, with a decent but not great team, trying to fit in and adjust to college. He coulda played and looked good and improved his stock or looked mediocre or bad.

It's not the decision I would have made but we can't unequivocally say it wasn't the best decision from a purely selfish perspective. I'll never cheer for the guy or whatever, I don't think you let your teammates down like that, but good luck whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT