ADVERTISEMENT

Things to watch for in Canada (Clay) Expect much stiffer competition than last summer

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida
These summer exhibition extravaganzas are widely touted as an opportunity for a team to earn some experience on the court while bonding away from the gym. Surely, that’s true. But remember that last year’s Cats played supposedly four invaluable August games in the Bahamas — winning all four against grab-bag opponents — only to lose in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in March.

This year’s test run is expected to offer stiffer on-court competition. The “national teams” from the other three entrants are comprised of older, more experienced players. That could be a challenge for a Kentucky team dependent on so many fresh faces right out of high school or prep schools.

Despite all this, there will be things worth watching when play begins Wednesday. Has sophomore center Ugonna Onyenso improved his offensive game? Will highly touted freshmen guards DJ Wagner and Robert Dillingham play together? Is freshman playmaker Justin Edwards as good as advertised? How will rookie Reed Sheppard fit in with his new teammates?

“I think (this trip) is a big moment we can grow together as a team,” Sheppard said. “We’ve been able to have some practices and build chemistry and build relationships already.”

What about the late additions? Will freshman Jordan Burks and Joey Hart be able to make meaningful contributions? Is Tre Mitchell, the 6-foot-9 transfer from West Virginia, the perfect addition for a roster in need of size and experience?

In interviews with players over three days at the Joe Craft Center last week, “unselfishness” was a constant talking point. Added to the roster June 26, Mitchell said he was already impressed by the way the players have shared the basketball in practice.

“We move the ball really well,” Mitchell said. “As short a time as we’ve been together and I’ve been a part of it, it has been evident that nobody’s afraid to give the ball up and give up a good shot for a great shot.”

Another repeatable was “compete.” To a man, the players talked about how competitive practices have been. Sophomore Adou Thiero spoke of being sore after practice, of needing a bit of time to prepare for the next battle.

Instead of competing against each other, this new Kentucky team will be competing against unfamiliar, older foes this week. “Dudes,” Dillingham kept calling the opponents, though quickly pointing out that he believed UK had plenty of “dudes” too.

So enjoy this week. Be curious. Pay attention. But keep it all in context and forget the results. Good or bad. (Remember, Baylor went 1-4 in this event last season.) It’s a long, long season. By March, summer impressions can be long forgotten.

Reactions: WallMashKyBall
Yeah, as the 5 is a make-do bandaid until bradshaw healthy, and Edwards is a lock at 3 or 4 I'm most interested to see: If DJ is given the starting PG (which I believe he will) and will he play beside Dillingham (which makes our back court smallish on defense) or Reeves (which gives a bit more experience and size but Reeves needs to up his defense) or will it be those 3 guards on the floor. and that moves Edwards to the 4. Which extends out smallness per position from 1 to 4, but I guess it worked most days for the Warriors. I'm going out on limb and say our starting 5 for tip off next wednesday is DJ, Dillingham, Reeves, Edwards, and West Virginia guy.

The Herald Leader probably isn't happy this is posted here.

We’ll probably lose, but I definitely am expecting our perimeter (Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, Dilly, and Thiero) to hold their own.

Win or lose really hoping these other teams are as good or better than most we will play during the season. Playing cupcakes does little to show the things the team and the individual players need to work on.

Win or lose really hoping these other teams are as good or better than most we will play during the season. Playing cupcakes does little to show the things the team and the individual players need to work on.
Well said. Can only speak for myself but I was fooled watching that BS down in Bahamas last year and honestly it didn't do anything to help last year's team.

Rather have the "growing pains" in July with 1 or more (possibly another addition) parts not playing and just so happen both would be frontcourt additions.

Better to have this young group face older guys now so they get a feel for how it'll be in the season, then beat up on guys who are out of shape and are just sacrificial lambs to the slaughter.

Reactions: JST390-2
Well said. Can only speak for myself but I was fooled watching that BS down in Bahamas last year and honestly it didn't do anything to help last year's team.

Rather have the "growing pains" in July with 1 or more (possibly another addition) parts not playing and just so happen both would be frontcourt additions.

Better to have this young group face older guys now so they get a feel for how it'll be in the season, then beat up on guys who are out of shape and are just sacrificial lambs to the slaughter.
Fans after Bahamas : Aren't we great?
Calipari after Bahamas: We're going to struggle.

Conclusion: Fans don't know as much basketball as they think they do.

I think losing a game might help these guys. Put a little bit of doubt and fear in them. Force them to work everyday.

If they are as competitive as they say a loss will motivate them to focus and work even harder knowing teams are out there that can beat ‘em.

I will say they are bball players with multiple skills. Very few if any athlete only guys with no bball iq.

I’m excited. After watching the interviews an easy group to pull for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT