ADVERTISEMENT

From a draft stock perspective, what would it have hurt for Shaedon Sharpe to play the last month of the season?

All I know is Cal said he wouldn't put him in just to win a game. Plus, there are still a lot of Cal butt kissers on here.
And the athletic administration should have just told him "we're not letting you coach games just for a paycheck. You'll still get paid, but you're not coaching". The whole situation is disgusting.

Reactions: blubo
Yeah, it's hard to argue with that. When you think of it from a parent perspective, it changes your thinking. From a UK POV, it just stinks.
Me, personally, if my kid were playing basketball and we caught wind that he could just sit on the bench and still get drafted, I'd tell my kid "you're not doing that. You signed on to be a part of this team, and that means you'll play when asked to". I'm all about doing the right thing.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
You’re not very good at this. First of all, sharpe committed in September, not November. The verification by the high school you are referring to in April 2022 was them confirming his graduation date of May. This wasn’t new information they were releasing rather confirming. Reports of him enrolling for the fall semester despite having sufficient credits for graduation are easily found. His enrolling and playing (if he did, as I didn’t keep up with him) I can’t speak of as unsure what rules are in place in that regard.

Kyle Tucker
@KyleTucker_ATH
·
Follow
Shaedon Sharpe being eligible for the next NBA draft is not news to Kentucky. It’s not a new development. It’s something neither Sharpe’s camp nor UK wanted out because of all the speculation it would create. As of today, whether he plays this year or not, he plans to stay at UK.
1:03 PM · Jan 20, 2022
https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1484240190923280384|twgr^bcc13eb6c8503cfcc55cf579556a9f02350fd0c7|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://d-4015240852944137842.ampproject.net/2312012346000/frame.html&tweet_id=1484240190923280384
I wonder if Sharpe's camp tried to escalate the enrollment process as much as possible so that there wouldn't be a discovery of his being eligible and then UK saying "thanks, but no thanks". I'm thinking that once he was on the roster, his camp in no uncertain terms threatened to make things ugly if he were to be asked to leave the team. Pretty far-fetched, but I don't believe anything from Shady Sharpe's side.

I don't think anyone can say for sure one way or another. It woulda been mid season, with a decent but not great team, trying to fit in and adjust to college. He coulda played and looked good and improved his stock or looked mediocre or bad.

It's not the decision I would have made but we can't unequivocally say it wasn't the best decision from a purely selfish perspective. I'll never cheer for the guy or whatever, I don't think you let your teammates down like that, but good luck whatever.
The problem with this tired argument you're presenting is that both Cal and the players said Sharpe was far and away the best player in practice.

You don't think that translates to the games?

Let's stop being naive in this discussion. Sharpe would have crushed it in his 6 to 8 weeks playing. He still would have gone top 7 in the draft.

The whole counterargument is as worn out as an old rug at this point. "We can't really say."

Yes, actually we can.

Reactions: NociHTTP
The problem with this tired argument you're presenting is that both Cal and the players said Sharpe was far and away the best player in practice.

You don't think that translates to the games?

Let's stop being naive in this discussion. Sharpe would have crushed it in his 6 to 8 weeks playing. He still would have gone top 7 in the draft.

The whole counterargument is as worn out as an old rug at this point. "We can't really say."

Yes, actually we can.
lol. No. You can't see the future. He could have stepped on the court and broke his ankle in the first play. He took a safe approach, he was hearing he'd be drafted in a position to be guaranteed millions with minimal risk of injury and zero risk of building a bad film reel.

I know you're salty. But don't let the salt get in the way of thinking from a different perspective.

lol. No. You can't see the future. He could have stepped on the court and broke his ankle in the first play. He took a safe approach, he was hearing he'd be drafted in a position to be guaranteed millions with minimal risk of injury and zero risk of building a bad film reel.

I know you're salty. But don't let the salt get in the way of thinking from a different perspective.
Nah.

You're still displaying faulty logic. Guys get hurt in practice all the time, and Sharpe was doing full workouts. The only way your logic works is if he didn't do any heavy practicing with the team at all.

They exert the same level of athletic output in practice that they do in games.

You aren't very good at this, are you.

The realistic options are the following: A. Cal didn't know about Sharpe's probable draft ineligibly and he's acutely more incompetent than any of us could image or B. He knew Sharpe was likely NBA-bound but thought that by bringing him on campus, he could persuade Sharpe to play.

I think the second option is most likely. The way you're presenting your case makes Cal seem like an imbecile, and works in the opposite direction of your overall goal of defending him.

You need to fine tune your argument. It needs a massive overhaul from a logical perspective.

C. Recruiting was good but slipping and no longer good enough to sustain a program that was turning over most of its roster every year. We were on the heels of the worst season in program history. Cal was dangerously close to losing his last few true supporters in the fan base. He hadn’t landed the #1 overall recruit in a long time. Sharpe was his chance to make a splash and win some people back over. Maybe get the buzz going again.

I really think he took sharpe either knowing he wasn’t going to play or was very unlikely to play and figured he’d just try to build something off the hype around the kid. Sell it as a sign that old Cal was on his way back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Nah.

You're still displaying faulty logic. Guys get hurt in practice all the time, and Sharpe was doing full workouts. The only way your logic works is if he didn't do any heavy practicing with the team at all.

They exert the same level of athletic output in practice that they do in games.
And subtracting all game time doesn't reduce the chances for injury?

Look I don't like what he did anymore than you. But there ARE logical reasons to do what he did, albeit extremely selfish.

Your question is what would it have hurt? I gave you some reasonable reasons why a selfish player may have chosen that. He was drafted 7 without playing and is now a millionaire. So from a personal perspective it was not a bad choice for him.

You have to admit there being some level of risk by playing no matter how small you personally quantify it. He decided to just lay low and go with what he thought was a sure way to become a millionaire.

Guess I’m in the minority. Old news. Put it in the rear view. Some just can’t get past it and get on to this season. Some slung the same blanket on Aaron B. Wrong.

I do know the qualifications for entering the nba draft. You have to graduate one year before the start of the nba season and turn 19 during the draft year. Where in my post do I state otherwise? As long as he has enough credits to graduate by the start of the NBA season in 2022 he was eligible which is apparently what occurred. Was his true graduation date May or October the only true question but either way he met the qualification of being eligible. Everyone knew this when sharpe reclassified in November. It’s plausible this was not known by cal in September when he accepted his commitment but he would have certainly known following the reclass unless of course you think cal is just stupid. It was very apparent in January that sharpe would never play here yet cal let him stay on the team. So assume for a second cal is just stupid (not that far fetched) and got blindsided by this he could easily asked sharpe to leave the team since he refused to play, but he didn’t as he knew that was the plan all along.
You have to be one year removed from the graduation of his HS class. Him playing HS basketball in the 2021-22 season would put him in the 2022 graduation class and ineligible for the NBA draft until 2023. He played HS basketball in October 2021. Just saying, it’s not as black and white as y’all make it out to be for your agenda. Either way Sharpe’s HS was shady af and muddied the water. He either graduated in May then returned and played the next season after graduating or he graduated in October and wasn’t eligible for the NBA draft as they claimed.

That perspective is just FLAT OUT WRONG, and you know it. You're getting a free education, free facilities, free food, free training, free publicity, an NIL check, and you think it's just a "different perspective"? Puh-leeze. He's a scam artist of an athlete, and he owes every dime he took from the university, and then some. He made the program look bad, and so did Cal with this so fiasco. If you're afraid of hurting your draft stock by playing, then do the MORALLY RIGHT thing by quitting the team. Period. How any player, coach or fan could be okay with what transpired is just mind-blowing to me. He couldn't have gone to any other major program in the country and pulled that, but at UK and with UK's coach. Just disgusting.

I wonder if Sharpe's camp tried to escalate the enrollment process as much as possible so that there wouldn't be a discovery of his being eligible and then UK saying "thanks, but no thanks". I'm thinking that once he was on the roster, his camp in no uncertain terms threatened to make things ugly if he were to be asked to leave the team. Pretty far-fetched, but I don't believe anything from Shady Sharpe's side.

I don’t think they would have even needed to do that. Cal wouldn’t have risked burning recruiting pipelines to Canada, which has been very good to him up to that point.

Reactions: NociHTTP
You have to be one year removed from the graduation of his HS class. Him playing HS basketball in the 2021-22 season would put him in the 2022 graduation class and ineligible for the NBA draft until 2023. He played HS basketball in October 2021. Just saying, it’s not as black and white as y’all make it out to be for your agenda. Either way Sharpe’s HS was shady af and muddied the water. He either graduated in May then returned and played the next season after graduating or he graduated in October and wasn’t eligible for the NBA draft as they claimed.
Love how you stated numerous times all this information is out there but we just have to want to look for it. Found this without issue. None of your arguments hold any merit while all of mine, along with others here do.

“Sharpe played his last high school basketball game for Dream City Christian (Arizona) on Oct. 17, 2021, in Las Vegas. It was a nationally televised game on ESPN against Prolific Prep out of California. At the time, Sharpe was playing as a fifth-year senior, after completing all class requirements in May.

The high school prep circuit differs from a scholastic high school basketball in that every game played in the fall is more or less counted as a scrimmage and doesn't count against the regular season schedule. That's why Sharpe was allowed to play, despite the games being on national television.”

Calipari won't even mention his name. I don't think he likes him very much tbh...seems there are some hurt feelings there.

Agree with SOS thoughts here. If Sharpe would have played he probably wouldn't have been exposed. Could've had a major impact and lifted his stock even more.
I'm not sure if I've replied to this post before (maybe), but one thing that sticks out to me. Of course Calipari won't mention Sharpe's name. He isn't on the team anymore. But since that scumbag left UK has anyone ASKED Cal about why he didn't make the kid play? He would surely have to answer that question! I mean, don't ask him "how come Sharpe didn't play?" You'll just get the typical nonsense from Cal. "Why didn't you make Sharpe play?" "Did you, at any moment, tell Sharpe 'I need you to go in'?" Those types of questions. The media is scared to ask the right questions, or choosing to 'stay out of it' in the name of remaining non-biased.

IMO he is not a UK alum, he was never on the team. Nothing UK related should be near his name.
He was most definitely on the team, it's just that he refused to play and Cal refused to do his job by telling the kid to get into the game.

Never. If it bothers you that much that UK fans aren't cool with the program being used by the likes of Sharpe, then you can go.
At the end of the day The University of Kentucky is not hurting. No one in the administration is currently worried about Sharpe, and when I say administration, I mean no one associated with the basketball program. At the end of the day it is just a game. I'm confident it doesn't affect your life at all.
So again just let it go.

At the end of the day The University of Kentucky is not hurting. No one in the administration is currently worried about Sharpe, and when I say administration, I mean no one associated with the basketball program. At the end of the day it is just a game. I'm confident it doesn't affect your life at all.
So again just let it go.
It is obviously still a very sensitive subject with BBN as evidenced by this thread along with a good portion of the fanbase wondering if Bradshaw was going to play out the same. Cals legacy here could be more defined by the sharpe fiasco than his early accomplishments unless he finishes strong. Doesn’t help when you have strong opposition arguing for cal and that he just didn’t know when it is pretty crystal clear he did and very crystal clear that he allowed a player to just sit knowing he would never play and tried lying to the fanbase as if we are all too stupid to see things as they are for ourselves. He duped a few that participated in this thread but not many.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT