ADVERTISEMENT

? For those who have seen a lot of both DJ and Dilly

I've watched a lot of both. When I watch them right now, this is what I see.

Wagner is a combo guard, can play both positions really well. He is more of a shifty in small spaces kind of guard (SGA, Maxey) not an elite speed and athleticism (John Wall) point guard. One of the things he does well like SGA is hesitations and change of pace. He will not physically overwhelm the competition but at times will make the hard plays look easy. I am not saying he will be SGA, but both just have a smoother style of play.

He also just has a knack for finding ways to put the ball in the basket. Wagner is not nearly as flashy as Dillingham but knows what he wants to do and can figure out a way to get to the spots he wants to.

Dillingham as far as Kentucky guards go I really don't have a comp for him because he plays so differently than most of the guards we have had. I think about him like two slight and wiry guards like a Lou Williams type (instant offense) if you want a more contemporary comparison would be Brandon Jennings. Very shifty, a lot of shots look off balance but are good anyway, can make defenders change direction (which is the goal)

Dillingham is very sudden (quick) and sometimes has his man beat after move one but wants to do moves two and three anyway. I think the coaches will help teach him how to get downhill after the fewest moves to beat his man rather than dancing too much with it (although there will be some of that).
Outstanding. Thanks for putting this together.

"shadow promises" that's a new one.

Do you have documentation of this or do you call them "shadow promises" because you can't produce evidence of this but you think it happens
Im confused of where we are with these "promises". Did Cal promise Mitchell a starting spot to get him to transfer here, or did he Promise Bradshaw a starting spot to get him to commit here? According to what I read on here, he has made a promise to almost everyone on the roster, so its just hard to keep up.

Last edited:
Reactions: thedahc
I think Dilly is more of a lead guard than Wagner, but Wagner is clearly the better player IMO so I wouldnt mind starting off with Wagner at the 1 with Reeves at the 2 and Dilly first off the bench.

Reactions: ganner918
Where do you play Edwards? The #1 overall recruit you would think might start. Maybe the biggest problem Reeves had was MAYBE not starting ?
To ME when I watch Dillingham, I see a shorter Demar Derozan. JMHO.
He's a lock to start.

PG - Dillingham
2G - Wagner
SF - Edwards
PF- Mitchell (assuming he commits this week)
C- Bradshaw/Ugo
6th man - Reeves
7th man - Ugo/Bradshaw
8th man - Reed
9th man - Thiero
Spot minutes: Hart, Burks

Not penciling in Cyril until he commits.

Outstanding. Thanks for putting this together.
excellent assessment. I think the bigger questions about DJ and Dilly are how will they perform on the defensive end? I have seen flashes of DJ that show he can play defense but it wasn't against the type of player he will now be seeing. Dilly - who knows? I have no idea as , like most players in his situation, he wasn't focused or required to do so. He certainly has the quickness to do it . What is your take?

Reactions: thedahc
Don’t disagree with your thoughts but I always find it amazing that as UK fans we “know” what our players will think and what will upset them.
Now a bunch the board believes if DJ or Rob doesn’t start as a Fr they will go through the season upset.
A lot of players don’t care about starting.

I'm pretty confident that Dilly didn't come here to play reserve minutes. Top15-type players want to start. They want to start so they can showcase themselves and move onto the NBA.

I have no idea who will start, but if we add Mitchell, our top 7 (which will play starter minutes regardless of who starts) will likely be:

Dillingham
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Bradshaw
Onyenso

That will be our main guys. They’ll get 20-30 minutes a game.

Cal will play 9, but 8 and 9 likely see about 10 or so minutes each game filling in.

That will be Sheppard and Thiero most likely.

If Cyril comes, move him into the 9 man rotation because of his size.

But like I said, I have no clue who starts.

Reactions: mebeblue2
"shadow promises" that's a new one.

Do you have documentation of this or do you call them "shadow promises" because you can't produce evidence of this but you think it happens
I'm over this nonsense that Cal doesn't make promises to certain kids. It's beyond obvious he does. There is tons of evidence that Bradshaw, Livingston, Boston, etc...get minutes not matter what beore the season even begins. You'd be in the extreme minority that the prized Fr don't get guaranteed minutes.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I'm over this nonsense that Cal doesn't make promises to certain kids. It's beyond obvious he does. There is tons of evidence that Bradshaw, Livingston, Boston, etc...get minutes not matter what beore the season even begins. You'd be in the extreme minority that the prized Fr don't get guaranteed minutes.
That's great news if there is tons of of evidence, you can easily share it!

While I wait for for you to locate this "tons of evidence", who should have played instead of Boston that year?

Also Livingston is a bad example, he didn't get starter minutes, pretty sure he was 7th in minutes.

That's great news if there is tons of of evidence, you can easily share it!

While I wait for for you to locate this "tons of evidence", who should have played instead of Boston that year?

Also Livingston is a bad example, he didn't get starter minutes, pretty sure he was 7th in minutes.
Are we seriously debating this?

Boston sure as hell didn’t need to Jack up shots galore and never get pulled…Mintz and Allen could have played way more minutes

Livingston started at Sf essentially the entire year and never sniffed PF and was fifth in minutes…barely behind Reeves

Bradshaw has all but stated Cal is playing him at forward….and we didn’t bother to sniff a PF until last week rhen his foot injury became public

And every year we see higher rated kids get treated differently then others….likely we kids transferred out so quick as they know how Cal rolls with his boys

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT