ADVERTISEMENT

? For those who have seen a lot of both DJ and Dilly

Wonky

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
Are these two both true point guards, or is one more of an SG? Could they be on the floor together at the same time? If so, would it be like Wall/Bledsoe where they are both adept at getting to the rim but lack reliable jumpshots?

As the roster starts to come together, it appears we should have some depth at every position (assuming we get Mitchell and Somto). What are your thoughts as to minute distribution, particularly among the guards?

Reactions: G-PIP
Are these two both true point guards, or is one more of an SG? Could they be on the floor together at the same time? If so, would it be like Wall/Bledsoe where they are both adept at getting to the rim but lack reliable jumpshots?

As the roster starts to come together, it appears we should have some depth at every position (assuming we get Mitchell and Somto). What are your thoughts as to minute distribution, particularly among the guards?

I’m not sure minute distribution but Dillingham will not come off the bench like some are suggesting. He would start for any team in the country. It will be just like Wall and Bledsoe, though DJ and Dilly both are better shooters IMO. I wouldn’t be surprised if they took turns bringing the ball up the court.

I’m not sure minute distribution but Dillingham will not come off the bench like some are suggesting. He would start for any team in the country. It will be just like Wall and Bledsoe, though DJ and Dilly both are better shooters IMO. I wouldn’t be surprised if they took turns bringing the ball up the court.

I know it would upset Dilly (or Wagner, if Dilly turned out to be better), but I kind of wish one could be used as a 2nd unit guy at times, while still getting a good 20-25mpg. I'm not saying platoon, but we do have enough quality guys to run a 2nd unit and minimize injury risk. Could be like Wagner/Reeves/Edwards and then Dilly/Shep could come in and really hammer the opponents bench guys.

I know it would upset Dilly (or Wagner, if Dilly turned out to be better), but I kind of wish one could be used as a 2nd unit guy at times, while still getting a good 20-25mpg. I'm not saying platoon, but we do have enough quality guys to run a 2nd unit and minimize injury risk. Could be like Wagner/Reeves/Edwards and then Dilly/Shep could come in and really hammer the opponents bench guys.

This makes too much sense for Cal to implement.

I coach AAU ball at the 9th grade level and have watched DJ in person 3-4 times. No Dilly.

AAU can be very deceiving in regards to defensive capabilites. I was not impressed with his defense but hopefully that was just the type of games I watched. I followed him a fair amount last year when he played out at the fairgrounds

Yeah if DJ and Wagner are solid shooters, then I'm fine with it. But like someone else said, we still have Reeves as a true wing player and I think he fits the starting 2-spot best.

Just hard for me to see a winning scenario where our best 3pt shooters, likely Reeves and Shep, aren't starting.

I've watched a lot of both. When I watch them right now, this is what I see.

Wagner is a combo guard, can play both positions really well. He is more of a shifty in small spaces kind of guard (SGA, Maxey) not an elite speed and athleticism (John Wall) point guard. One of the things he does well like SGA is hesitations and change of pace. He will not physically overwhelm the competition but at times will make the hard plays look easy. I am not saying he will be SGA, but both just have a smoother style of play.

He also just has a knack for finding ways to put the ball in the basket. Wagner is not nearly as flashy as Dillingham but knows what he wants to do and can figure out a way to get to the spots he wants to.

Dillingham as far as Kentucky guards go I really don't have a comp for him because he plays so differently than most of the guards we have had. I think about him like two slight and wiry guards like a Lou Williams type (instant offense) if you want a more contemporary comparison would be Brandon Jennings. Very shifty, a lot of shots look off balance but are good anyway, can make defenders change direction (which is the goal)

Dillingham is very sudden (quick) and sometimes has his man beat after move one but wants to do moves two and three anyway. I think the coaches will help teach him how to get downhill after the fewest moves to beat his man rather than dancing too much with it (although there will be some of that).

Wagner is a combo guard, can play both positions really well. He is more of a shifty in small spaces kind of guard (SGA, Maxey) not an elite speed and athleticism (John Wall) point guard. One of the things he does well like SGA is hesitations and change of pace. He will not physically overwhelm the competition but at times will make the hard plays look easy. I am not saying he will be SGA, but both just have a smoother style of play.

He also just has a knack for finding ways to put the ball in the basket. Wagner is not nearly as flashy as Dillingham but knows what he wants to do and can figure out a way to get to the spots he wants to.

Dillingham as far as Kentucky guards go I really don't have a comp for him because he plays so differently than most of the guards we have had. I think about him like two slight and wiry guards like a Lou Williams type (instant offense) if you want a more contemporary comparison would be Brandon Jennings. Very shifty, a lot of shots look off balance but are good anyway, can make defenders change direction (which is the goal)

Dillingham is very sudden (quick) and sometimes has his man beat after move one but wants to do moves two and three anyway. I think the coaches will help teach him how to get downhill after the fewest moves to beat his man rather than dancing too much with it (although there will be some of that).

If you were the coach, who would you start?

If you were the coach, who would you start?
I think they could both start (although I want Reeves to start).

If one came off the bench Dillingham would make the most sense. Imagine a defense that is getting worn down by Wagner's attacking physical style and just tired from getting up and down the court in the game in general and then dillingham coming in with fresh legs.

It would be kind of like a change of pace in baseball when you have a pitcher using off-speed deception and bring in a closer throwing smoke, it's hard for the hitter to adjust. I think we could see some of that this season.

Reactions: ORCAT
DJ can play both at an elite level. He played 2G at Camden this year and Cian Medley ran point. In crunchtime DJ had the ball in his hands and the same will be true at UK.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I think they could both start (although I want Reeves to start).

If one came off the bench Dillingham would make the most sense. Imagine a defense that is getting worn down by Wagner's attacking physical style and just tired from getting up and down the court in the game in general and then dillingham coming in with fresh legs.

It would be kind of like a change of pace in baseball when you have a pitcher using off-speed deception and bring in a closer throwing smoke, it's hard for the hitter to adjust. I think we could see some of that this season.
I agree, dilly is a perfect 6th man. People look at that and think he won’t play a lot, he will still get his 20-25 mins maybe even more. Wagner reeves Edwards bradshaw(tbt) mitchell(tbt if he commits) is a really good starting 5, and bring a weapon like dilly off the bench with ugo as the backup big, burks as a backup foward and then between theiro shepard and hart maybe someone shows up that we didn’t expect to

Reactions: ORCAT and thedahc
Ok… then is Dilly his backup or our starting SG? Because I’m pretty sure Reeves is our starting SG.
I'd venture...

PG - Dilly
SG - Wagner
SF - Edwards
PF....if Bradshaw is healthy.....but without Bradshaw...no idea
C - Ugo...or Somto if he comes

But Dilly and Wagner will take turns being more of lead guards....not the traditional PG stuff. I imagine we'll be a bunch of iso sets iwth pick and rolls with Dilly or Wagner and a bigman (the same old boring Cal ball).

I do think Reeves comes off bench initially (which isn't fair iMO) but he'll play 30 minutes a game.

Reactions: Sweet Hooks
So you’re saying Bledsoe was a better shooter at this stage???
Not saying anything really. Just saying Bledsoe hit eight threes in an NCAA game. That's all. I've no idea who the better shooter is. I don't watch high school games or video clips of high school players.

I'd venture...

PG - Dilly
SG - Wagner
SF - Edwards
PF....if Bradshaw is healthy.....but without Bradshaw...no idea
C - Ugo...or Somto if he comes

But Dilly and Wagner will take turns being more of lead guards....not the traditional PG stuff. I imagine we'll be a bunch of iso sets iwth pick and rolls with Dilly or Wagner and a bigman (the same old boring Cal ball).

I do think Reeves comes off bench initially (which isn't fair iMO) but he'll play 30 minutes a game.
Mitchel if they get him ain’t coming off the bench

Don’t disagree with your thoughts but I always find it amazing that as UK fans we “know” what our players will think and what will upset them.
Now a bunch the board believes if DJ or Rob doesn’t start as a Fr they will go through the season upset.
A lot of players don’t care about starting.

He will be if Bradshaw is back.

I love the "he aint' coming off the bench" comments.....this happens every year but at UK Cal does make shadow promises to certain kids.
A proven guy isn’t going to a school to be a role player, ugo isn’t locked into a starting spot, cal is smart enough to know bradshaw and Mitchell are his best bet and go somewhat small even thought that’s not really small

Not saying anything really. Just saying Bledsoe hit eight threes in an NCAA game. That's all. I've no idea who the better shooter is. I don't watch high school games or video clips of high school players.

Gotcha. I love Bledsoe but he was never considered a good shooter, especially coming out of HS. From what I’ve watched, both are better shooters. Him and DJ are a lot alike in my opinion. Dillingham is more like John Wall.

It’s hard to say how it all will translate to the college game but I think they both will have really good years!!

Reactions: BlueBomb
Apparently Wagner is zendaya’s favorite player due to his swag and toughness, so there’s that lol. She thinks he wins POY.

He will be if Bradshaw is back.

I love the "he aint' coming off the bench" comments.....this happens every year but at UK Cal does make shadow promises to certain kids.
"shadow promises" that's a new one.

Do you have documentation of this or do you call them "shadow promises" because you can't produce evidence of this but you think it happens

Reactions: BigCat241

I agree, that would be awesome but I don’t think it will go that way. I think RS might run some 2nd unit PG but that’s totally my opinion.

Think we will have 3 guard line ups... Wagner, Reeves and Dilly
Where do you play Edwards? The #1 overall recruit you would think might start. Maybe the biggest problem Reeves had was MAYBE not starting ?
To ME when I watch Dillingham, I see a shorter Demar Derozan. JMHO.

Where do you play Edwards? The #1 overall recruit you would think might start. Maybe the biggest problem Reeves had was MAYBE not starting ?
To ME when I watch Dillingham, I see a shorter Demar Derozan. JMHO.

Maybe we play 4 out 1 big... not like we have talented bigs anyways. Not sold on Ugonna and I think Bradshaw is a bust personally.

Good stuff. Thanks for the videos.

Reactions: thedahc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT