ADVERTISEMENT

First time in my life where football is more relevant than basketball

Football is way more fun to watch and college basketball sucks but Kentucky basketball still moves the needle more nationally. If the football team keeps recruiting like it did this year that may change but UK is still a basketball school. But with college basketball being a fringe sport in terms of national relevance, UK football is a lot closer to basketball than it ever has been to basketball in relevancy.

UK football went 10-3
UK basketball is 11-3

I suppose if you close one eye and squint with the other, it’s easy to see that football is way better than basketball!?!
Way better? Our 3 Ls are by a combined 17 pts to Duke at ND and at LSU.

Have a cup of hope on me.

Reactions: bigc45157
Football has long been more relevant than basketball....it is the goose that lays the golden egg and drives the train for TV deals and conference alignment/realignment. UK administration and athletics department were just about a half-century behind the times figuring it out. Now, we're investing and FB and getting better and better in college athletics' premier sport.

GBB!

Basketball team not beat any good teams yet either.
Exactly they’re both about the same if you ask me. Stoops is getting a statue built for him because football hasn’t been at this level in the modern era. But that’s it they’re both having top 25 seasons, very similar actually

Never thought I would see the day. I actually can’t wait for the 2022 football season. Football at Kentucky is like a stock that’s climbing while basketball is stale and declining.
You’re kidding yourself. UK will never win a championship in football. Every year in BB, there is a chance. You FB guys are delirious:/

Reactions: KFuqua
2007-8 our basketball club went 18 and 13, which included a loss to Gardner Webb, and concluded with a first round exit from the tournament. While Andre Woodson led UK football past #1 LSU to move into the top 10 (for the second time that year) and then go out with a win in the Music City bowl.

So are you 13 or just dramatic?

Kinda like the basketball teams we’ve beat, not real impressive.
ULM (4-8)
Missouri (6-7)
Chattanooga (6-5)
South Carolina (7-6)
Florida (6-7)
LSU (6-7)
Vanderbilt (2-10)
New Mexico State (2-10)
Louisville (6-7)
Iowa (10-4)
looks like 2 reg season teams with just over .500 and a couple of 2-10 teams....
the basketball season is not over yet, let's see how they do over the next couple of months

Exactly they’re both about the same if you ask me. Stoops is getting a statue built for him because football hasn’t been at this level in the modern era. But that’s it they’re both having top 25 seasons, very similar actually

this statement is true however one is always expected and one is never expected/starting to be expected.

a top 25 finish in football has happened a handful of times in the last 70 years, where as basketball has enough talent most years for just about any coach in the world to lead it to a top 25 ranking.

so stoops has been historically good at a historically terrible program and Cal has been average to below average at a historically great program over the last few years.

Still think there is room for excitement on both programs but I get the OP sentiment, football is much easier to be excited about for some fans with the way things are now.

however we are still a threat to cut down the nets this year and a lot of years and I can’t imagine that ever being the case in football.

Never thought I would see the day. I actually can’t wait for the 2022 football season. Football at Kentucky is like a stock that’s climbing while basketball is stale and declining.
Yea ok. A stock that will win 6 games when we have to play a tough sec schedule with Oklahoma and Texas in it.
I love uk football, but that's one reason why everyone was do upset about our losses this be year. We weren't as good as the teams that beat us

I'm personally much more of a baseball and football guy at all levels. I really don't care about basketball beyond UK to be completely honest.

This is me. Back in the day I was a huge Jordan fan and watched the Bulls regularly. I probably haven't sat and watch an NBA game in 2-3 years. Just isn't entertaining to me to watch teams jack up 60 uncontested 3's per game and play no defense until postseason...then all the other stuff- won't go there, but they totally lost me.

I'm not big into CFB but definitely more than NBA and will tune into big games.

I watch nearly every Reds and Bengals game...will watch whatever other NFL games are on for sure if time allows.

I became a UK basketball fan during the 1969-70 season. My interest level in UK basketball on a 1 thru 10 scale up until 3 or 4 years ago was a 10, it's now about a 2...... 5/10/20/30 years ago when we played Louisville I would be so keyed up, that before the game I couldn't eat, I was nervous before & during the game & if we lost to them I would be depressed for the next 2 days. Then when we played Louisville last season I was calm before & during the game & when the game ended & we had lost to them it didn't bother me at all. I turned the tv off & never gave the game a second thought. And I've got John Calipari to thank for this.

ULM (4-8)
Missouri (6-7)
Chattanooga (6-5)
South Carolina (7-6)
Florida (6-7)
LSU (6-7)
Vanderbilt (2-10)
New Mexico State (2-10)
Louisville (6-7)
Iowa (10-4)
looks like 2 reg season teams with just over .500 and a couple of 2-10 teams....
the basketball season is not over yet, let's see how they do over the next couple of months
I hope we can have a great SEC basketball season. I just don’t see a reason to put down the football team and who they beat. I love Kentucky in every sport and want them to do good.
GO BIG BLUE

We're a football school now. ;) Well, headed in the right direction at least but, why can't we be both? I don't want to sound like a UL fan and just pick and choose what to follow when it suits my mood. Football's recent success with basketball's recent decline will do that for some. Save the basketball is not in decline speech because the numbers say it is. Hopefully, it will improve again because as we all know (if you have been around awhile) there are always up and down trends. Here is to hoping we are on the way back up in basketball. This year and next year will be enough to know whether we need a change or not.

But yet, they are posting on the basketball board after a loss. I think OP is just angry looking to vent, like 80% of this board after a loss.

Reactions: ukfan041
Football has long been more relevant than basketball....it is the goose that lays the golden egg and drives the train for TV deals and conference alignment/realignment. UK administration and athletics department were just about a half-century behind the times figuring it out. Now, we're investing and FB and getting better and better in college athletics' premier sport.

GBB!
Long been more relevant. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reactions: KFuqua
It's not even close...go back and look at the teams the football team beat..not real impressive..even lost at home to Tenn...football will never win shit, not even the SEC East
Football will never win shit ? 4 straight bowl wins ? That doesnt register ... maybe I should be become like our resident Cal jock swingers , wins and losses dont matter , Stoops in my man and he can do no wrong !!

I guess it depends what your definition of relevance is.....nationally, regionally, among UK fans, playing in CFP?

In the 11 years a tournament was held since Cal has been here (excluding 2020, although I think that team could have made a run, but no way of knowing), 7 times UK has fielded a team that could have won a championship.

Generally speaking, I am not a fan of the direction BB program is going. If this year doesn't yield a top 4 seed (I think it will), I am all for looking at potentially replacing Cal.

However, the football program is just no where near competing for a national title. Unless Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, and Florida are removed, I just don't see it happening. Even with LSU, Florida, and Auburn having down years coupled with a weak schedule, UK still was not in contention. I like Stoops and what he has accomplished, but we are just no where near Bama and Georgia's level.

2007-8 our basketball club went 18 and 13, which included a loss to Gardner Webb, and concluded with a first round exit from the tournament. While Andre Woodson led UK football past #1 LSU to move into the top 10 (for the second time that year) and then go out with a win in the Music City bowl.

So are you 13 or just dramatic?
Or you can pick 2012 for the basketball team won a national championship and I’m not sure what the football team did but I don’t think it was much

I became a UK basketball fan during the 1969-70 season. My interest level in UK basketball on a 1 thru 10 scale up until 3 or 4 years ago was a 10, it's now about a 2...... 5/10/20/30 years ago when we played Louisville I would be so keyed up, that before the game I couldn't eat, I was nervous before & during the game & if we lost to them I would be depressed for the next 2 days. Then when we played Louisville last season I was calm before & during the game & when the game ended & we had lost to them it didn't bother me at all. I turned the tv off & never gave the game a second thought. And I've got John Calipari to thank for this.
How is it cals fault that the u of L game isn't great anymore? The whole landscape of college basketball isn't what it was. Is that cals fault also?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT