ADVERTISEMENT

First time in my life where football is more relevant than basketball

Call us when Football makes a BCS Bowl. The Duluth Men's Buck Naked Underwear Bowl doesn't apply. We might, and I say might end up in the seasoning ending top 25 which will be a banner year. Until then, stay on the football board.
…. and you can call ME when Cal beats a top 25 team on the road. I’m not expecting a call anytime soon. Cal has taken our basketball team to the threshold of hell.

Football more relevant than basketball at UK, what NONSENSE. Football hasn’t sniffed an SEC title in 70 years. UK basketball has won, about 30 of them 4-5 in the last decade. UK basketball had a bad year last year, lest we forget UK football was 4-6 last year. In last 2 years are 9-9 in SEC. It is a testament to just how IRRELEVANT our football team has been that rising to the level of SEC mediocrity has whipped fans into a delusional frenzy believing we are now a player in SEC football, we aren’t. We are a middle of the pack team at best. Our basketball team is always a player in the SEC title hunt, ( last year excluded). Even on subpar years they have finished in the sweet 16 or Elite 8. It has won a National title in the last 10;years and been in the Final Four 3-4 times. UK football hasn’t sniffed at a playoff spot and will not next year. The basketball team has a very real possibility of competing for a Final 4 next year. I have enjoyed our football programs improvement in last 5 years but many of our fans are living in fantasy land if they think football is ready to take the step of being in elite status of SEC, our basketball team is elite in SEC.
Gtfo

Reactions: Myron Gaines
Never thought I would see the day. I actually can’t wait for the 2022 football season. Football at Kentucky is like a stock that’s climbing while basketball is stale and declining.
What in the world are you talking about?

I dont know when the last time UK won a road game against an SEC West team but they did beat Arkansas at home in 2019.

Arkansas in 2019.
Actually I am not corrected the 2019 win against Arkansas was played at Kroger feild. I said SE C West ROAD win. In reality by my research we haven’t won an SEC West road game in 12 years. Last one was we beat Auburn at Jordan Hare in 2009

Why does the football team get their allowance of cupcake? If you are going to talk crap, be consistent. We play 3 cupcakes OOC every year and that is 25% of the games...the OOC cupcakes in basketball make up about the same percentage of the total basketball games.
Yep. And when the basketball season is through, Cal’s winning percentage will be lower than the football team’s.

Yea ok. A stock that will win 6 games when we have to play a tough sec schedule with Oklahoma and Texas in it.
I love uk football, but that's one reason why everyone was do upset about our losses this be year. We weren't as good as the teams that beat us
Oklahoma?! Texas?! 🙄 They’re both not even in the top 5 in the SEC as far of football programs go. They have good tradition, however. Texas has sucked in football for several years now.

Never thought I would see the day. I actually can’t wait for the 2022 football season. Football at Kentucky is like a stock that’s climbing while basketball is stale and declining.
You meant this as an insult, but it’s actually a compliment to most UK fans that will always enjoy basketball and can now enjoy football. It’s delusional how the internet malcontents think they represent more than 1 tenth of 1 percent of the entire fanbase.

It's much easier to compete in basketball because you only need 2 maybe 3 really good players to have a really good team. In football, you need several. It's the most popular sport in America and drives revenue. With that being said, UK football is on an upward trajectory, while basketball is on a downward. The football team actually makes money for the basketball team due to tv contacts etc... If it weren't for SEC football, those SEC contracts do not exist. I used to be a die hard basketball fan. Right now, I couldn't tell you when the next game is. I still want both to succeed, though.

Last edited:
Call us when Football makes a BCS Bowl. The Duluth Men's Buck Naked Underwear Bowl doesn't apply. We might, and I say might end up in the seasoning ending top 25 which will be a banner year. Until then, stay on the football board.
BCS bowl? Dude, u know nothing about football and sound like a UofL troll

Reactions: UK2KJAG
Yep. And when the basketball season is through, Cal’s winning percentage will be lower than the football team’s.
Even crazier, some whine about day after day after day when they KNOW they are whining about something they can’t control.....the definition of insanity. No wonder one mod said he was thinking of quitting this place. I think one already did. I was away for about a year and then came back as the holidays are slow but I’ll gladly disappear from this cess pool again shortly.

Exactly they’re both about the same if you ask me. Stoops is getting a statue built for him because football hasn’t been at this level in the modern era. But that’s it they’re both having top 25 seasons, very similar actually
This is further proof football is much more important than basketball. UK did not build a statute for Adolph Rupp but Mark Stoops is on his way. Football is the King of College Sports. Basketball is something to keep you warm in the winter

It’s always so strange to me that people cheer on one and not the other. And even more strange when fans of one try ahd crap on the other or call out fans of the other sport. I’m a UK fan. I root for UK…in all sports. This divide of some people is the silliest thing.
It's because our basketball fanbase is insufferable. If you rolled up UNC, UL, UT fans into one fanbase, you would still come out better than UK b-ball fans. By far the worst fanbase in college sports.

Secondly, the same boomers in this thread pretending like what Stoops has done is nothing short of miraculous; are the same fans who conveniently ignore the fact that UK basketball success has been completely built on playing in a conference that never gave a crap about basketball. Face it, your success is equivalent to Louisville winning in Big East football after Miami, Virginia Tech left to go to the ACC. Once that happened, UL only got BCS games because they beat teams like USF, Syracuse, Cincy (when they were horrible) and UCONN. And somehow thats supposed to be impressive. Just like UK basketball has taken it's success from winning in a conference were college basketball came in 3rd of importance AFTER college baseball. UK routinely won 25+ games while the rest of the conference averaged what 15?

In fact it wasn't until a few years ago the SEC (after decades of having an absolute bottom tier basketball conference) decided to actually put some money into basketball. When the commissioner then told the SEC AD's to at least pretend to care about basketball and put some money and effort in. Once that happened, UK has had borderline success. Which brings me to my next point. Whats more likely? Cal forgot how to coach? Or the schedule just got harder? No longer the days can UK basketball roll in and beat up on a weak conference that never gave a shit. Now you actually have programs that wanna compete. And guess what...UK basketball has found itself in an actual battle to be relevant. No longer can UK just show up and roll over these mid-major programs masquerading as Power schools. So while North Carolina built a real reputation from playing in a real conference, UK's success was built on a hollow foundation that is now crumbling away.

Finally, the revenue trumps all. UK has one of the highest revenues in college basketball, and they barely break even. While most basketball programs operate in the red. If it wasn't for the football program, our 5 star basketball players would be walking to the game. Forget flights because they couldnt afford a bus.

I look forward to another decade from now when people look at the bottom ESPN scroll to see college basketball scores and recall fondly when college basketball was on TV and relevant. Because thats where it's headed. No one watches this shit until March, especially once the boomers are gone.

BCS bowl? Dude, u know nothing about football and sound like a UofL troll
Dude--When I say BCS Bowl I mean the final 4 teams that stand a chance of winning the national championship. I know some of the others may be considered BCS worthy. Why I don't know. Window dressing I guess. "How did UK football do this year?" "We're so excited, we finished 25th." Give me a damn break. I can't imagine a UK basketball fan's standards allowing them to be excited about finishing in 25th place. With your standards, I bet your wife is one ugly troll.

Dude--When I say BCS Bowl I mean the final 4 teams that stand a chance of winning the national championship. I know some of the others may be considered BCS worthy. Why I don't know. Window dressing I guess. "How did UK football do this year?" "We're so excited, we finished 25th." Give me a damn break. I can't imagine a UK basketball fan's standards allowing them to be excited about finishing in 25th place. With your standards, I bet your wife is one ugly troll.
Don't talk about your mother like that!

Oklahoma?! Texas?! 🙄 They’re both not even in the top 5 in the SEC as far of football programs go. They have good tradition, however. Texas has sucked in football for several years now.
They will still beat UK from time to time.
Oklahoma will definitely be in the top 5 .
We Are on same level as miss st/ UT/ Arkansas/ ole miss before lane kiffin/probably Texas aswell

Bama
Georgia

LSU
Oklahoma
Ole miss
Auburn
Florida

UT
Uk
Texas
Miss st
Arkansas

That's pretty close year in year out for the past few seasons

I thinks its important to define Relevant .. relevant to who / or defined by what parameter ? Relevant to the overall fans of the university ? Relevant to $$$. ? Lots of ways to define relevance . But IMO its undeniable , currently UK. football is red hot .. UK hoops is Luke warm dish water . Football has won 4 straight bowl games . Its exciting , its fun , actually its a total blast . I'm a season ticket holder , 3 or 4 years inn a row . wouldn't miss a big game unless something important is going on .. hoops ? LOL I have nearly zero interest in attending any game at Rupp Arena. Its not a fun thing to do . Last time I went I took 2 rookies who never attended a game , senior day Vs Florida , game was entirely boring , we shoot like 28 -30 FT'ss and the game was in the low 60's , high 50's .. boring . But I've got a group of friends who know plan our tailgates days in advance , its a event .. kinda like big UK games used to be . Not all UK or Cal's fault , college ball in general is dying .
And also outside this state , people dont care at all about UK basketball. Its like it doesnt exist . They dont care if we went to 3 straight FF's and won a title .. football is king in this country .

Last edited:
Reactions: Kerry Kat
Lol and how many players was UK missing again?
A few. I would say Iowa had more out aswell.
The thing is, some of our fans will actually believe uk is a better football program than Iowa now because we beat them in a bowl game. Iowa has a year like this every season, not once or twice in 15

You do know the BCS doesn’t exist anymore right?

Reactions: Myron Gaines
A few. I would say Iowa had more out aswell.
The thing is, some of our fans will actually believe uk is a better football program than Iowa now because we beat them in a bowl game. Iowa has a year like this every season, not once or twice in 15
It was just seemed like statement to try and diminish the win for football while not recognizing that Kentucky had much more quality players out than Iowa did.

I have not heard one fan say we are a better program than Iowa though. I think that would be a program we are on the way to becoming with the uptick in talent and bowls, but with the SEC who knows.

Reactions: law1127
It was just seemed like statement to try and diminish the win for football while not recognizing that Kentucky had much more quality players out than Iowa did.

I have not heard one fan say we are a better program than Iowa though. I think that would be a program we are on the way to becoming with the uptick in talent and bowls, but with the SEC who knows.
I agree with you. I'm not trying to diminish, in fact I typed that without thinking and forgot about all of our starters out

Reactions: Jont0805
You meant this as an insult, but it’s actually a compliment to most UK fans that will always enjoy basketball and can now enjoy football. It’s delusional how the internet malcontents think they represent more than 1 tenth of 1 percent of the entire fanbase.

Born and raised in Kentucky and most Kentuckians are OAD weary, and frankly tired of losing games that are winnable. Cal is declining rather you want to admit it or not.

Born and raised in Kentucky and most Kentuckians are OAD weary, and frankly tired of losing games that are winnable. Cal is declining rather you want to admit it or not.

Born and raised in KY and graduated from UK.

99.8775 of them don't spend hours and hours and hours on the internet crying about it, hence my reference to "internet malcontents".

Wondering how some of you sunshine bumpers will feel on Monday when Indiana ranks higher than Kentucky? I’ll check back.

We’ll throw out the cupcakes in both sports:

Football 7-3 vs P5, Basketball 2-3 so far
Last year: football 5-6, basketball 8-15

The OP has a point. Football is on an upward trajectory and basketball needs to right the ship

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT