ADVERTISEMENT

Paying Cal’s buyout with donors could be disastrous for UK’s future.

UKCATSFREAK

Senior
Apr 8, 2013
Fort Thomas, KY
We all know that it’s time for a change but the sad part is that the current contract has handcuffed Mitch. Obviously, it’s by his own doing but the facts are the facts currently. We should NOT be seeking donors for the buyout. That would not be a wise choice for the future of all programs, specifically the football and basketball programs. We all know the Craft is a football guy now. He was actually sitting with Marrow at the game last night. I think that SCREAMS his current alignment. The current bball NIL structure is made up of Cal people. That leaves when Cal leaves. Mitch should not approach Craft about the buyout. It will only set UK back in the future. We need Craft’s money for football and basketball NIL and we need basketball facilities upgraded in the near future. Asking him to be the major donor for Cal’s buyout is not in the best interest of either sport, even if that means that Cal returns.

I’m sure I will get many that disagree and that’s fine. Many will say just get rid of him and we will work everything out later. But that’s not the best decision. We don’t have lots of big donors. We have some good donors but many many many schools have a lot more rich folk than we do unfortunately. We need Craft’s money for the future. Asking him to take the lead on the buyout and then support everything we need with the future of football and basketball is just not practical. I can hear Stoops now begging him to close his checkbook for Cal.

With the future in mind, the ONLY way that Cal should be replaced is if he agrees to a much less buyout or takes another job by choice. I don’t see either happening, especially taking a smaller buyout. I think the only job that may entice him would be in Cronin left UCLA and that job opened. Don’t see them hiring him at Michigan where football will always be king.

It’s just a schity situation that we see ourselves in currently. I’m sure Barnhart is desperate to figure it out. He knows that his legacy is on the line as well. He’s done well here but if he ends his career with UK in shambles, that hurts his legacy. It will be interesting to see what Mitch does in the next week. We know he’s got to do something. So, we’ll see what happens. My prediction is that there are just staff changes. The situation just looks beyond fixing without the involvement of Cal wanting to leave. We shall see!

The really scary thing is what happens when Mitch (probably inevitably) gets Cal's replacement wrong? We'd be absolutely stuck with that coach for a while. We couldn't be paying Cal's buyout, plus his replacement's, plus the salary of the next coach at the same time.

This is exactly why Payne got a second year. Louisville couldn't be paying three coaches at once. It's a good reason why Mike Woodson is returning to Indiana. If they fired him they'd need to pay his buyout, whatever remains on Archie Miller's buyout, plus the buyout of their football coach.

Getting caught under a mountain of successive buyouts is what really kills a program. The next hire needs to be a slam dunk.

The really scary thing is what happens when Mitch (probably inevitably) gets Cal's replacement wrong? We'd be absolutely stuck with that coach for a while. We couldn't be paying Cal's buyout, plus his replacement's, plus the salary of the next coach at the same time.

This is exactly why Payne got a second year. Louisville couldn't be paying three coaches at once. It's a good reason why Mike Woodson is returning to Indiana. If they fired him they'd need to pay his buyout, whatever remains on Archie Miller's buyout, plus the buyout of their football coach.

Getting caught under a mountain of successive buyouts is what really kills a program. The next hire needs to be a slam dunk.

This won't happen, but this is why my mind sometimes wonders if you wanted a caretaker coach like a Rick Pitino to come in for a few years if they'd come in at a discount or a contract laden with incentives. Someone like that needs a reputation boost so would they take much less money to come to UK? Again, won't happen but that's about the only scenario that would make it affordable.

According to Matt Jones, The donors don't want to give Calipari another dime, even in a buyout situation.
I haven't heard him say that unless it was hour 2 yesterday. He has said he has a bad to no relationship with some donors and that makes it hard for them to want to give him money to leave

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
According to Matt Jones, The donors don't want to give Calipari another dime, even in a buyout situation.
If the UK mega-donors wanted to fund a golden parachute for Calipari, it would have happened long before this latest cluster. Can’t disagree with that mindset - if the remaining money means so much to Calipari, he’ll have to earn it. And continue humiliating himself along the way.

It’s called karma, Johnnie.

I agree but it sure doesn't sound like a guy on his way out when he talks
Most coaches don’t show their hand when it comes to moving on like that till it happens. I just don’t see this working out. I’m still debating on whether I’m going to watch the team next year if he’s the coach. Never thought I would see the day that I would debate on that. I just don’t like what Cal has done to our program and how disrespectful he is to fans. He thinks he’s bigger than the program, and that’s bs

Oddly enough I'd say Calipari's future (and by proxy that of UK bball) lies in the hands of the University of Michigan. It's going to come down to how much they offer him. And knowing Calipari's ego, he won't jump for anything less than what he's making now at UK. I seriously doubt Michigan offers that much.

In the bigger picture it looks like UK athletics needs more donors, period. They don't have to be billionaires like Joe Craft. Although, if any want to jump in I am sure UK would welcome them! A bunch of small fish can still make a meal after all.

Most coaches don’t show their hand when it comes to moving on like that till it happens. I just don’t see this working out. I’m still debating on whether I’m going to watch the team next year if he’s the coach. Never thought I would see the day that I would debate on that. I just don’t like what Cal has done to our program and how disrespectful he is to fans. He thinks he’s bigger than the program, and that’s bs
I'm over it as well. Hard to imagine November rolling around and not be excited. It's also hard not having a late march to excited about

This won't happen, but this is why my mind sometimes wonders if you wanted a caretaker coach like a Rick Pitino to come in for a few years if they'd come in at a discount or a contract laden with incentives. Someone like that needs a reputation boost so would they take much less money to come to UK? Again, won't happen but that's about the only scenario that would make it affordable.

I’m not worried about the salary of the next coach. The school will take care of that. I’m worried about everything else. The current NIL initiative that Cal just launched is made of Cal people. Joe Craft is NOT a big part of that, if any part of it. So, that will go away with Calipari. It’s just not realistic to ask our donors to pony up the money to get rid of Cal and then ask them to support with NIL and the upgrades needed to the basketball facilities in the near future because they do need upgraded to be competitive against the elite of college basketball. That’s not even mentioning the football aspect of the NIL.

It’s just not practical and not smart business. Even if that means another year or 2 with Cal. Mitch has really limited his options when he offered this contract to Cal. I can’t blame Cal for accepting, it’s all on Mitch to me. However, how may HOF coaches have imploded like this?? Think about it! Not many! So, I get Barnhart’s thinking because nobody saw this coming.

Oddly enough I'd say Calipari's future (and by proxy that of UK bball) lies in the hands of the University of Michigan. It's going to come down to how much they offer him. And knowing Calipari's ego, he won't jump for anything less than what he's making now at UK. I seriously doubt Michigan offers that much.

In the bigger picture it looks like UK athletics needs more donors, period. They don't have to be billionaires like Joe Craft. Although, if any want to jump in I am sure UK would welcome them! A bunch of small fish can still make a meal after all.
Michigan will not pay Cal anywhere near the football coach’s salary. I’m not sure of the new coach’s contract at Michigan but you can guarantee that the offer to Cal will be significantly less than what the new coach is paid. Michigan won’t pay Cal more than the football coach coming off a national championship. Even if it’s a brand new coach. Period! He ain’t going to Michigan. It’s only UCLA or bust for options.

I'm sorry but one of you guys is gonna have to dress up as a hooker and get this guy out in a scandal.

crossdressing tv land GIF by #Impastor

Desperate times and all.🙃

We all know that it’s time for a change but the sad part is that the current contract has handcuffed Mitch. Obviously, it’s by his own doing but the facts are the facts currently. We should NOT be seeking donors for the buyout. That would not be a wise choice for the future of all programs, specifically the football and basketball programs. We all know the Craft is a football guy now. He was actually sitting with Marrow at the game last night. I think that SCREAMS his current alignment. The current bball NIL structure is made up of Cal people. That leaves when Cal leaves. Mitch should not approach Craft about the buyout. It will only set UK back in the future. We need Craft’s money for football and basketball NIL and we need basketball facilities upgraded in the near future. Asking him to be the major donor for Cal’s buyout is not in the best interest of either sport, even if that means that Cal returns.

I’m sure I will get many that disagree and that’s fine. Many will say just get rid of him and we will work everything out later. But that’s not the best decision. We don’t have lots of big donors. We have some good donors but many many many schools have a lot more rich folk than we do unfortunately. We need Craft’s money for the future. Asking him to take the lead on the buyout and then support everything we need with the future of football and basketball is just not practical. I can hear Stoops now begging him to close his checkbook for Cal.

With the future in mind, the ONLY way that Cal should be replaced is if he agrees to a much less buyout or takes another job by choice. I don’t see either happening, especially taking a smaller buyout. I think the only job that may entice him would be in Cronin left UCLA and that job opened. Don’t see them hiring him at Michigan where football will always be king.

It’s just a schity situation that we see ourselves in currently. I’m sure Barnhart is desperate to figure it out. He knows that his legacy is on the line as well. He’s done well here but if he ends his career with UK in shambles, that hurts his legacy. It will be interesting to see what Mitch does in the next week. We know he’s got to do something. So, we’ll see what happens. My prediction is that there are just staff changes. The situation just looks beyond fixing without the involvement of Cal wanting to leave. We shall see!
Lol retard..

Calipari's contract with UK contains a duty to mitigate provision. If the University terminates him "without cause", i.e., poor job performance but without aggravating factors like serious NCAA violations, criminal conduct, etc., he receives 75% of his pay as liquidated damages; provided, however, that he has a good faith duty to mitigate that obligation on the part of the University by accepting other suitable employment in the athletic department of a Division I program or in the professional ranks. If he declines all offers and buys a sailboat and cruises the Caribbean, he is in default and the payments stop. If Michigan offers $4 million a year to be head coach, he can't decline and continue to receive the liquidated damages installments. He is required to accept the position and UK's obligation is reduced by the $4 million.

Respect your opinion. All I will say is UK will NEVER be a consistent contender in football, JMHO. Our bed was made for basketball going back to Rupp days and when Bryant left UK for more money and notoriety.

Last edited:

Are you saying that if Cal leaves, the NIL fund goes with him? Surely not!!

Maybe you're right but thats an awful lot of speculation. Besides, we aren't paying Cal up front and we won't be paying the next guy 9M either. Even if we pay 7M to a new coach and we're paying Cal over 6 years, which is about 5.5M per year, thats only 12.5M per year. Thats an increase of 3.5M. Im pretty sure we can scrounge that up. Also, what Stretch said is very important in all this.

Hopefully I didn't screw up my math. Im half asleep.

Calipari's contract with UK contains a duty to mitigate provision. If the University terminates him "without cause", i.e., poor job performance but without aggravating factors like serious NCAA violations, criminal conduct, etc., he receives 75% of his pay as liquidated damages; provided, however, that he has a good faith duty to mitigate that obligation on the part of the University by accepting other suitable employment in the athletic department of a Division I program or in the professional ranks. If he declines all offers and buys a sailboat and cruises the Caribbean, he is in default and the payments stop. If Michigan offers $4 million a year to be head coach, he can't decline and continue to receive the liquidated damages installments. He is required to accept the position and UK's obligation is reduced by the $4 million.
That’s an interesting part of his contract I had not yet heard about. But is he required to seek other employment? He won’t get an offer from anyone unless he actively pursues employment. He could decline all request to interview I would think and still draw his full buyout.

The OP makes an interesting point. That the donors have a limited supply of $ they are each willing to use to support UK basketball or sports). So if much of it is used on a buyout, then i guess that could severely limit our NIL for coming years.
F***

That’s the way I took it also is that Cal started this whole NIL deal and it leaves if he does. Folks that could also be an ugly situation if we aren’t able to pay any players. Although I’m not real knowledgeable about how NIL works either.

The OP makes an interesting point. That the donors have a limited supply of $ they are each willing to use to support UK basketball or sports). So if much of it is used on a buyout, then i guess that could severely limit our NIL for coming years.
F***
Let's not forget why this is happening.

We have a head coach who has put himself ahead of the program.

He simply does not care about the health of Kentucky basketball.

All true, but that doesn’t mean UK will fire him and it appears they won’t. It’s Cal’s decision to stay or go.

After that loss, I’ve accepted that the program is in a bad spot and I don’t expect to win anything of worth for a while. We are either stuck with Cal, and we will continue to see the results of the last 4 seasons… or we get a new coach who has to have a complete rebuild that will take time. Mitch and the admin should be cleaned out, the fact they allowed that contract to happen will haunt us for years to come. It sucks.

Bullshit.

Lol..ok. I wish they would but I don't see it ever happening. Could we make an SEC title game? Sure. Could we make a playoff? Sure. Doing it once or twice makes you a solid program. Doing it consistently, makes you great.

I would love to know how you think we are going to consistently compete at top of SEC.

Our recruiting is bottom 2-3 of SEC. You realize that, right?

12th in SEC this year for recruits

7th in SEC this year for transfers

Maybe you can do it on back of transfers...doesn't seem likely at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlue1992
You're one of the few who has remained loyal to Cal, so the relevancy behind anything you write is suspect.
I'm not defending anything or anyone now. I did 5 minutes of research and found nothing coming out of Michigan sources except what I wrote. Keep spouting gibberish and hate, you fat pile of nothing. I'm not gonna worry myself about being on your blacklist.

I'm not defending anything or anyone now. I did 5 minutes of research and found nothing coming out of Michigan sources except what I wrote. Keep spouting gibberish and hate, you fat pile of nothing. I'm not gonna worry myself about being on your blacklist.
You have Fred Flintstone on your moniker picture. Meanwhile, you're also a grown man.

Think about that combination for a moment.

By the way, you have been a Cal loyalist. There's no getting out of that fact, try as you might now that the kingdom is burning to the ground.

Reactions: tf4fun
A interesting scenario, fire cal, hire Pitino for 3 years. Let him redeem himself pay him 3.5 mil. With cals buyout and Pitino 3.5 mil you have a 9.5 million salary! Pitino would do it to. And win.

You have Fred Flintstone on your moniker picture. Meanwhile, you're also a grown man.

Think about that combination for a moment.

By the way, you have been a Cal loyalist. There's no getting out of that fact, try as you might now that the kingdom is burning to the ground.
I don't care what you thought about my past opinions, and I won't concern myself with your thoughts on my future opinions. I have been a realist, and an optimist. Up until now I haven't believed Cal was going anywhere. Firing a coach with teams consistently in the top 25 doesn't exactly inspire top coaches to jump on board. But now, the post season train wreck has to be addressed. If it's handled right, maybe we land someone good. If not, we get another Billy Clyde. I will support the team no matter what. And I'll hope for the best, without considering the opinions of constantly squeaking wheels, and spoiled children with unrealistic expectations.
My Flintstone avatar is just about a better time. Don't like it? Who cares

Last edited:
Lol..ok. I wish they would but I don't see it ever happening. Could we make an SEC title game? Sure. Could we make a playoff? Sure. Doing it once or twice makes you a solid program. Doing it consistently, makes you great.

I would love to know how you think we are going to consistently compete at top of SEC.

Our recruiting is bottom 2-3 of SEC. You realize that, right?

12th in SEC this year for recruits

7th in SEC this year for transfers

Maybe you can do it on back of transfers...doesn't seem likely at all.
I was responding to the inference that donations and investment in football was futile based on an event that took place in 1953. Kentucky will continue to invest in football, and personally I’m glad we have the Crafts and others realizing it makes good business sense.

As far as consistent results on field-I don’t know when or if it will happen, as nobody outside of 2 or 3 teams in the SEC will likely be a consistent winner. I’m not going to speak in absolutes, because it’s not fact.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I was responding to the inference that donations and investment in football was futile based on an event that took place in 1953. Kentucky will continue to invest in football, and personally I’m glad we have the Crafts and others realizing it makes good business sense.

As far as consistent results on field-I don’t know when or if it will happen, as nobody outside of 2 or 3 teams in the SEC will likely be a consistent winner. I’m not going to speak in absolutes, because it’s not fact.

Gotcha, fwiw I didn't mean to infer investments were down due to that. Just meant we kind of decided what sport we were going to be a blue blood in at that time. JMHO.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT