ADVERTISEMENT

Evans: Cats wouldn't be on the bubble with Herro

We are less than a month until the NCAA's Selection Sunday, and a handful of fan bases will be sweating out their remaining league games prior to the unveiling of the bracket. In this week’s Evans Seven, we pinpoint seven teams that would no longer be on the bubble if they had the help of a specific 2018 pledge.

LINK: Bubble teams these 2018 prospects could have helped
Well, seeing UK isn’t on the bubble currently, don’t think I’ll read the article

Well seeing how you didn't read, tell me what is incorrect with the article (I won't post it all but the first paragraph sums it up):

"Could the Wildcats really miss out on the NCAA Tournament? They would have to stumble a lot down the stretch. Regardless, they are much closer to the bubble than many realize, thanks to their inability to make shots. Not one current member of the Kentucky roster is shooting over 37 percent from beyond the arc. The best three-point shooter has been Quade Green who has made just 27-of-74 three-pointers this season. The lack of three-point shooting has hurt in the spacing department on the offensive end."

We lose at home any of our remaining games and right now to Bama (5 in a row near the end of the season), and I don't know what argument we would have for being in the tourney (unless we win the SEC tourney).

Whether you think they are on the bubble or not (I don't think they are right now), I hope you can see why people are starting to talk about the possibility of it. When you have lost four consecutive games in the latter part of the season, you're 6-7 in your conference, and you have a tough schedule remaining, it's inevitable.

We are less than a month until the NCAA's Selection Sunday, and a handful of fan bases will be sweating out their remaining league games prior to the unveiling of the bracket. In this week’s Evans Seven, we pinpoint seven teams that would no longer be on the bubble if they had the help of a specific 2018 pledge.

LINK: Bubble teams these 2018 prospects could have helped
It's easy to speculate that so and so could be the difference, but it's all pure speculation. Most people believed last year that Diallo could be the key to us winning it all and bashed him for not playing. Now that he is playing, a strong portion of the same fans think he's the worst player they've ever seen and want Cal to stop playing him and hope he leaves UK.

Sure. Tyler can shoot in high school, a lot of guys can, but as the article pointed out, he struggled shooting it as well in the EBYL summer circuit. We also have no idea how well he would be able to defend, handle contact, handle the ball or what his effort level will be in college. Articles like this are a large gernator of the unrealistic expectations these players get from people. No one knows or should expect anything from then until they have actually had a chance to play a few games at this level first.

Well seeing how you didn't read, tell me what is incorrect with the article (I won't post it all but the first paragraph sums it up):

"Could the Wildcats really miss out on the NCAA Tournament? They would have to stumble a lot down the stretch. Regardless, they are much closer to the bubble than many realize, thanks to their inability to make shots. Not one current member of the Kentucky roster is shooting over 37 percent from beyond the arc. The best three-point shooter has been Quade Green who has made just 27-of-74 three-pointers this season. The lack of three-point shooting has hurt in the spacing department on the offensive end."

We lose at home any of our remaining games and right now to Bama (5 in a row near the end of the season), and I don't know what argument we would have for being in the tourney (unless we win the SEC tourney).
The paragraph you posted does nothing to change my mind. The title said UK was on the bubble right now. They’re not. They are #19 in RPI with #3 SOS with no bad losses. If they lose some remaining games of course they could be on the bubble. But its not close yet.

Went to a DII game last nite in my home town. Local team, West Tx A&M is ranked 8th in DII. They had 3 guys raining 3s from NBA range.

My wife says to me, this team could beat Kentucky. I said uh, no. They play 6'5" center and UK plays only 1 guy shorter than that.

But there's somewhat of a point there. Shooting translates at any level and just one shooter can make a big difference. If you're not long and athletic you learn to shoot if you want to play.

It's easy to speculate that so and so could be the difference, but it's all pure speculation. Most people believed last year that Diallo could be the key to us winning it all and bashed him for not playing. Now that he is playing, a strong portion of the same fans think he's the worst player they've ever seen and want Cal to stop playing him and hope he leaves UK.

Sure. Tyler can shoot in high school, a lot of guys can, but as the article pointed out, he struggled shooting it as well in the EBYL summer circuit. We also have no idea how well he would be able to defend, handle contact, handle the ball or what his effort level will be in college. Articles like this are a large gernator of the unrealistic expectations these players get from people. No one knows or should expect anything from then until they have actually had a chance to play a few games at this level first.
Absolutely correct....I don't give a flip about what some guy did in high school, or heaven forbid, the AAU circuit. I don't get excited about our players until I see them against good college competition. Diallo was the savior last year, and this year it's Vanderbilt, who is about as limited an offensive player as I've seen at UK in a long while.

Reactions: theGspot
The paragraph you posted does nothing to change my mind. The title said UK was on the bubble right now. They’re not. They are #19 in RPI with #3 SOS with no bad losses. If they lose some remaining games of course they could be on the bubble. But its not close yet.

The reason this apparently sound thinking is a little off IMO, is because UK could probably lose out finishing 6-12 in the SEC and probably have an inflated rpi with "no bad losses". Im not saying they will, but the rpi is definitely favoring Kentucky a little much right now and even though i think they are going to be in, they will be seeded much lower than their RPI would normally suggest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT