ADVERTISEMENT

Edgecombe Top 3…

I think Quaintance is our best chance to land Edgecombe. He wants to play with Edgecombe and those two together would be lightning.
If it all comes together, Sheppard, Quaintance and Edgecombe might end up being one of the better trios we've had in modern UK history. Right up there with Walker, Delk, and Anderson in 1996; Wall, Cousins, and Patterson in 2010; Fox, Monk, and Bam in 2017; and Davis, Jones, and MKG in 2012.

If it all comes together, Sheppard, Quaintance and Edgecombe might end up being one of the better trios we've had in modern UK history. Right up there with Walker, Delk, and Anderson in 1996; Wall, Cousins, and Patterson in 2010; Fox, Monk, and Bam in 2017; and Davis, Jones, and MKG in 2012.
I go back a bit further and I know you are referencing modern history. if I may for the older folks how about:

1966 Dampier/Riley/Conley

1969 Issel/Casey/Pratt

1978 Robey/Givens/Macy

1984 Turpin/Bowie/Kenny Walker

I’d love to hear about a decision date soon for VJ, seems like we are trendy and we usually get a commit soon after news like this starts coming.

Reactions: WildcatNC
I’d love to hear about a decision date soon for VJ, seems like we are trendy and we usually get a commit soon after news like this starts coming.

Has there been a new development? Last I heard a few days ago he was heavily thought to be Duke bound. Even had a guy crystal ball him to Duke. Graf says the guy that did it is pretty legit

Lol this smells like Duke trolling UK YET again.

It does seem like he's Duke bound. We have no CB picks, even though the 3 or 4 CB picks for Duke are largely from Duke Insiders.

Here's the question: Are Duke's current freshman heading to the NBA, guys like McCain and Foster? And what about having 3 incoming SG/SFs next year (along with Flagg who is going to have the ball in his hands a lot). Something has to give here.. 4 and 5-star wings aren't going to sit on the bench at Duke getting 7 mpg when the transfer portal is so hot. VJ commits there, and mark my words, someone is de-committing and there's likely some guys transferring.

Kentucky has guys coming in, too, but our current freshman are all tracking to be 1AD. There's room for VJ not only from players returning next year, but our recruiting class next year is more focused on PG and bigs, we only have Richmond who would compete with VJ.

Has there been a new development? Last I heard a few days ago he was heavily thought to be Duke bound. Even had a guy crystal ball him to Duke. Graf says the guy that did it is pretty legit
Not that I know of, I hope not. I’d really love to pull this kid.

It does seem like he's Duke bound. We have no CB picks, even though the 3 or 4 CB picks for Duke are largely from Duke Insiders.

Here's the question: Are Duke's current freshman heading to the NBA, guys like McCain and Foster? And what about having 3 incoming SG/SFs next year (along with Flagg who is going to have the ball in his hands a lot). Something has to give here.. 4 and 5-star wings aren't going to sit on the bench at Duke getting 7 mpg when the transfer portal is so hot. VJ commits there, and mark my words, someone is de-committing and there's likely some guys transferring.

Kentucky has guys coming in, too, but our current freshman are all tracking to be 1AD. There's room for VJ not only from players returning next year, but our recruiting class next year is more focused on PG and bigs, we only have Richmond who would compete with VJ.
I don’t think teams recruit the same way in the transfer portal era. I believe Duke would much rather take an Edgecombe commitment and let their current frosh (who are good but not in VJ’s class) make the decision to stay and compete or move on. Same goes for the player, he’s not going to be scared off because of who’s currently on the roster.

I don’t think teams recruit the same way in the transfer portal era. I believe Duke would much rather take an Edgecombe commitment and let their current frosh (who are good but not in VJ’s class) make the decision to stay and compete or move on. Same goes for the player, he’s not going to be scared off because of who’s currently on the roster.

That could be true, and I agree, VJ isn't NOT going to go to Duke because of any players potentially in his way. He's too highly ranked.

However, I'm not sure that's a winning strategy. Theres really no guarantee that any recruit is going to be top player as a freshman. While VJ won't get scared off, I do think someone has to leave or reopen recruitment.

Only one coach can win with young talent that we know of, and that's Cal. Coach K couldn't quite do it, and also didn't want to do it towards the end as he preferred experience. I'm certainly not sure if Scheyer can do.

It hasn't matterred before. Guys will got to Duke no matter how crowed it is. We've seen it before.

It hasn't matterred before. Guys will got to Duke no matter how crowed it is. We've seen it before.

Could be right. They certainly have a huge alumni base that are high earners, so I think NIL deals will be solid for them.

But, this is a new coach and they aren't off to that great of a start. And transfers still happened during this time. So they may get VJ, but they won't be able to keep all this talent, especially with a coach who likely won't platoon.

If he picks Kentucky, he clearly wasn't comfortable with the idea of sharing wing minutes with McCain, Foster, Evans, and Knueppel. All of those guys are five stars. All of them play his position. Edgecombe is a great player, but he's not good enough to NOT be concerned about four other guys who play his position potentially being at Duke next year.

I think the logjam favors Kentucky.

No offense, as I don't mean this as an insult, but you're rarely optimistic about these types of situations.
None taken, but it’s a cynical world we live in. I’m going off recent Kentucky history. When Kentucky gets somebody it’s dead quiet but the majority of national guys pick uk. This recruitment is following the same pattern of what duke likes to do in recruiting

We lose Dillingham, Reeves, Edwards, and Wagner at minimum from the guard/wing rotation. We might lose Sheppard as well if we don't win it all in April.

Right now, we're only replacing those 4 or 5 guys with Perry, Fland, and Richmond. Richmond is a project who will probably get about 10-12 minutes/game.

So we essentially have 120 minutes to replace at the guard and wing positions. If Sheppard comes back, he's getting 30-35 minutes a game. Richmond gets about 10-12. Fland is good for 20-22 minutes/game. Perry probably gets around 10 minutes/game. That leaves 50 minutes open. There's room for Knox and Edgecombe.

Last edited:
We lose Dillingham, Reeves, Edwards, and Wagner at minimum from the guard/wing rotation. We might lose Sheppard as well if we don't win it all in April.

Right now, we're only replacing those 4 or 5 guys with Perry, Fland, and Richmond. Richmond is a project who will probably get about 10-12 minutes/game.

So we essentially have 120 minutes to replace at wing. If Sheppard comes back, he's getting 30-35 minutes a game. Richmond gets about 10-12. Fland is good for 20-22 minutes/game. Perry probably gets around 10 minutes/game. That leaves 50 minutes open. There's room for Knox and Edgecombe.
Yeah, offensively we need both Edgecombe and Knox if we want to be another consistently high scoring team next season. Hopefully if we only get one of them we can get a great scorer out of the portal because we need two more really good scorers.

Cassidy added that his sources say a decision from Edgecombe "could come late this month or in early February."
Hopefully it's Kentucky. Getting Z back, leading the SEC in conference wins, and landing an Edgecombe commitment right around the same time that a half-dozen former Wildcats are announced as NBA All-Stars would take this program to a new stratosphere in terms of momentum.

If he picks Kentucky, he clearly wasn't comfortable with the idea of sharing wing minutes with McCain, Foster, Evans, and Knueppel. All of those guys are five stars. All of them play his position. Edgecombe is a great player, but he's not good enough to NOT be concerned about four other guys who play his position potentially being at Duke next year.

I think the logjam favors Kentucky.
A logjam does favor UK, one would think. Just based on what scouts have said about Edgecombe, and the few times I’ve watched Duke this year—he would start over Foster and McCain if they return.

A logjam does favor UK, one would think. Just based on what scouts have said about Edgecombe, and the few times I’ve watched Duke this year—he would start over Foster and McCain if they return.
But he'd have to compete with them for minutes every day. They are both five stars and both will know the Duke system better than Edgecombe. They'll be nipping at his heels all season. Maybe he wants that. Then again, maybe he wants as many minutes as possible, and Kentucky offers that more than Duke.

So we essentially have 120 minutes to replace at the guard and wing positions. If Sheppard comes back, he's getting 30-35 minutes a game. Richmond gets about 10-12. Fland is good for 20-22 minutes/game. Perry probably gets around 10 minutes/game. That leaves 50 minutes open. There's room for Knox and Edgecombe.

Richmond may not be a top 5-10 recruit or shoot well, but he's going to be a McDonalds All-American. He certainly won't expect to be a project. Plus his dad played for Calipari back in the early Memphis days so I think he will get more runway than most. Likely he will be a Freshman Quickley type ~ 18 MPG and a few starts.

Maggard's acolytes have always been cringe-level cult members.
I am definitely not a Maggard "acolyte". But I don't know how many times it has to be said, but he is once again connected to the staff with Antiqua. So when he is hot and cold, it's based on what he's hearing from him.

This is probably over. Need Sheppard to return. Need to hit portal hard. Peterson would be a bonus

Reactions: Fox2monk
My top 10 wish list for the next few seasons:

#1. A national title.
#2. Three seasons from Sheppard.
#3. Sheppard NPOY in 2025 and 2026.
#4. Edgecombe to Kentucky.
#5. Two seasons from Quaintance.
#6. Dybantsa to Kentucky.
#7. Peterson to Kentucky.
#8. Caleb Wilson to Kentucky.
#9. Jasper Johnson to Kentucky.
#10. Tyran Stokes to Kentucky.

Quaintance as the #1 pick in 2026. Dybantsa as the #2 pick. Stokes reclassifies and plays with Quaintance, Dybantsa, and a junior Sheppard.

Sheppard
Stokes
Dybantsa
Thiero
Quaintance =

40-0
zero chance sheppard is here more then 2 years. Q HAS TO BE here 2 years . Most of the rest I bet does happen.

My gut says VJ is ours . I guess he could choose Baylor but he ain't going to Duke with that logjam . Knox is not playing college ball. Think we add VJ and Peterson reclasses and add 2 guys in the portal .

You think we get edgecombe, Peterson reclasses and comes, and we add 2 from the portal? That sounds nice but small chance of that happening in my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT