ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Giles to NBA, hiring an agent

Great move. Proud of the kid for doing what's in his best interest. About time someone did. I hope he makes a fortune and can get back to the player he was. Those who didn't see him in high school missed out. He was fantastic.

Good move. He will be a good player in a few years. I think some teams are gonna be skittish though, especially after seeing what has happened with Joel Embiid in Philly. He should go in the mid-late first round to a good team. I could see him in Atlanta.

Smart move by him. Hopefully he stays injury free and makes lots of money in the NBA.

Great move. Proud of the kid for doing what's in his best interest. About time someone did. I hope he makes a fortune and can get back to the player he was. Those who didn't see him in high school missed out. He was fantastic.
was he clearly the best in this class of freshmen?

was he clearly the best in this class of freshmen?

Even after the first knee injury, absolutely. You could see the Chris Webber comparisons. He was so explosive, but skilled for his age/size.

Check this out. Two years ago. How many 16 year olds have you seen do this at 6'10?

Reactions: Mojocat
Would rather Giles stay for my personal benefit. A sophomore Giles would come into play with Bamba's recruitment.

Bamba is going to play wherever he goes, can't worry about who stays and goes.

If the kid really wants to look at player development relegated to the next level at his position-this isn't even a tough decision.

Duke just took a kid who rightly or wrongly was considered the top prospect in class and it'll be interesting to see if he's even taken in the lottery or 1st Round. I thought Giles looked like trash when he actually played--soft, timid, not tough.

Okafor went from consensus #1 overall pick to #3 in draft, is a guy that Sixer fans love to hate--and wanted Nerlens to stay rather then him...and we won't even discuss Bolden--who was lied to....but hey he's "set for life" right?

Set for life has different definitions. Mine is making a CAREER at basketball, hundreds of millions, and then I can go back to school and do whatever it is I choose to do. Anyone who argues that Duke is in same class when it comes to Bigs is agenda driven and too biased to discuss this topic--and again, I'm a friend to this board and not a UK guy--so spare me the "homer" look.

If Giles had come to UK, Cal would have found a way to protect him for Draft purposes.

Because I'm sure NBA teams would be fawning over the idea of a player coming off two torn ACL tears and having not played at all for two years straight. Makes sense.

That's the difference between Player-first vs Coach-Legacy-first...

Well it Krzyzewski's job to win games for Duke.

Torn ACLS ruin him

Fixed for accuracy.

Because I'm sure NBA teams would be fawning over the idea of a player coming off two torn ACL tears and having not played at all for two years straight. Makes sense.

Fixed for accuracy.
At the expense of his player's future earnings and well being?

Even after the first knee injury, absolutely. You could see the Chris Webber comparisons. He was so explosive, but skilled for his age/size.

Check this out. Two years ago. How many 16 year olds have you seen do this at 6'10?

holy shit he looks amazing.

BTW...Coach K gave up too quickly. He should have let him play 20-25 minutes minimum. Rode with him all the way if he was going to play.

I would have loved to seen Giles play more - or at least been utilized more. About the only touches he got were from offensive rebounds and lobs.

For what it's worth, nobody on the Duke board feels confident about signing Bamba - even with Giles leaving. We all feel like he's Kentucky's to lose.

Reactions: UKUGA
I would have loved to seen Giles play more - or at least been utilized more. About the only touches he got were from offensive rebounds and lobs.

For what it's worth, nobody on the Duke board feels confident about signing Bamba - even with Giles leaving. We all feel like he's Kentucky's to lose.
Wendall Carter needs to work on his defense but he is still a hell of an offensive player in the post.

Duke posters seem to be adjusting to the facts:
2 SRs ...starters
2 NBA starter and Giles
2 transfers.. not much pt..Worried on Bolden to make 3
4 still there, but some say they are hearing that Allen, Kennard,and maybe Jackson will leave.

That could be 10........welcome to the show.. get used to it.

Good for him, I hope he gets healthy. I'd prefer him not to be a star though so Duke can't use him in recruiting. Otherwise, have a long a profitable career, guy.

I'm sure you guys would have gone to at least final four had Coach K went with Jackson, Kennard, Tatum, Giles, and Bolden as a starter.

I know Bolden SUCKS, and Giles never came alive. But you got to get these guys chance to grow. Then Amile Jefferson could have played over Bolden, but you need big physical body inside. Amile Jefferson can play great minutes off the bench for Giles/Bolden.

Basically no minutes for Bolden, and 5-8 minutes for Giles was asking for trouble. Tatum got a lot better in the last minute. Giles is better than Tatum, imagine his impact late in the season.

Just terrible move by Coaching Staff on Duke. But i appreciate it. I laughed when you guys went small line up. Same for Kansas and self. Both dumb moves!

Reactions: plumdog69
Yep smart move. One more knee injury and teams aren't touching him in the first round. In hindsite he should have sat out

I'm sure you guys would have gone to at least final four had Coach K went with Jackson, Kennard, Tatum, Giles, and Bolden as a starter.

I know Bolden SUCKS, and Giles never came alive. But you got to get these guys chance to grow. Then Amile Jefferson could have played over Bolden, but you need big physical body inside. Amile Jefferson can play great minutes off the bench for Giles/Bolden.

Basically no minutes for Bolden, and 5-8 minutes for Giles was asking for trouble. Tatum got a lot better in the last minute. Giles is better than Tatum, imagine his impact late in the season.

Just terrible move by Coaching Staff on Duke. But i appreciate it. I laughed when you guys went small line up. Same for Kansas and self. Both dumb moves!

Bolden has been shaky all year. Poor hands, poor rebounder (6.6 per 40 minutes), quick to foul. I thought he did fairly well on his hedges, but for the most part he appears to be lacking a bit in the hustle/energy department. Truth be told, I think Vrankovic, a 3-star recruit, performed much better than Bolden. Jefferson is a stud. He was our best big - but I would like to see other guys get in a few more minutes.

We had a lot of issues going on this year, no doubt - locker room issues and on the court issues. I think the biggest limitation to this team was in the point guard department - or lack thereof. That was evidenced by some 14 turnovers in the first half verse SC. Frank and Grayson are not point guards by any stretch of the imagination. Great players, but they're scoring guards that tend to turn the ball over too much when asked to carry the load for dribbling and distributing.

Fixed for accuracy.

Hanging out on the UK site says all we need to know about you. Your program is the laughing stock of America with all the tripping and flopping. ESPN couldn't stop laughing when you lost. Keep telling yourself you are envied.

Bolden has been shaky all year. Poor hands, poor rebounder (6.6 per 40 minutes), quick to foul. I thought he did fairly well on his hedges, but for the most part he appears to be lacking a bit in the hustle/energy department. Truth be told, I think Vrankovic, a 3-star recruit, performed much better than Bolden. Jefferson is a stud. He was our best big - but I would like to see other guys get in a few more minutes.

We had a lot of issues going on this year, no doubt - locker room issues and on the court issues. I think the biggest limitation to this team was in the point guard department - or lack thereof. That was evidenced by some 14 turnovers in the first half verse SC. Frank and Grayson are not point guards by any stretch of the imagination. Great players, but they're scoring guards that tend to turn the ball over too much when asked to carry the load for dribbling and distributing.
Jefferson a great defender - when not called for wrapping his arm around a guy and jersey grabbing - certainly had the Coach K bitch out the refs thing down - i've never seen a player get by with more stalking and back talking to refs. Not a fan. he's no stud - but likely the best you had.

Also another guy that was seen as OAD who went the distance...

Jefferson a great defender - when not called for wrapping his arm around a guy and jersey grabbing - certainly had the Coach K bitch out the refs thing down - i've never seen a player get by with more stalking and back talking to refs. Not a fan. he's no stud - but likely the best you had.

Also another guy that was seen as OAD who went the distance...

Amile was seen as a OAD? When? By whom? He doesn't have a big frame; his body resembles more of a prototypical 3 in the NBA than a 4 or 5. And he certainly doesn't have a reliable outside shot - not sure anyone expected him to be a OAD, much less a role-player in the league. His game has always been suited for overseas.

Jefferson does do his fair share of back talking. I will concede that. Some of the assistant coaches at Duke have commented about how it's sometimes hard to ref the practices because Amile has beef with a lot of the whistles. But the kid played his heart out against SC. He battled injuries most of the year. Not a dominant player, but very serviceable, and certainly our most consistent big in 2017.

I hope hope hope you are right about that. Bamba turns our team into a legit contender, IMO.

I hope he makes the best decision for himself. I don't care what school he played for. Hopefully it will be the right decision for him.

My Duke friends are trying any way they can to justify him staying.

"but he could be a top10 pick.."

".. but he could also tear his ACL and never play again."

"Yeah but.."

Wash rinse repeat...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT