ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Giles to NBA, hiring an agent

Jeter, Tatum, and now Giles.. Has any Duke player actually said they are coming back?

Because as far as I'm concerned, they are the only real threat next year, among top programs.

Kansas and UNC lose a ton, and neither have much in the way of recruiting. IU has a new coach, UCLA loses everyone and Alford sucks anyways. Uconn is healthy, they could be good, but have a LOT to prove. UofL starting to lose players, who is coming in for them?

And now.. Duke taking hits left and right.. :cool2:

Jeter, Tatum, and now Giles.. Has any Duke player actually said they are coming back?

Because as far as I'm concerned, they are the only real threat next year, among top programs.

Kansas and UNC lose a ton, and neither have much in the way of recruiting. IU has a new coach, UCLA loses everyone and Alford sucks anyways. Uconn is healthy, they could be good, but have a LOT to prove. UofL starting to lose players, who is coming in for them?

White and Whiter could still come back.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

Kennard and Allen could be back. Plus, they have a loaded recruiting class and likely will add to it. They will definitely be very good.

UL will be really good assuming most/all their guys come back. I won't believe Pitino lets them leave until I see it happen.

UNC doesn't lose a ton - Berry is likely back, Jackson may be back.

KU loses some but also has a lot. Azubuike will be back from injury and Newman had a redshirt year, plus they will also likely add a top guy.

A lot to still sort out but I think UL, KU, Wichita St, are all top 5 teams potentially next year.

If you're Duke and Coach K.. do you really want Allen coming back? Talk about addition by subtraction.

And IF Kennard comes back, you can't play Kennard, Allen and Trent at the same time..

Duke could stand to lose Kennard or Allen with Trent coming in.. they CAN'T stand to lose guys like Giles, Tatum or even Jeter...

On the subject of Bamba as it relates to here(UK) vs there(Duke) and Giles(and others),if the kid is paying attention then it is a no brainer.You would have a hard time making a case for Duke.

If you're Duke and Coach K.. do you really want Allen coming back? Talk about addition by subtraction.

And IF Kennard comes back, you can't play Kennard, Allen and Trent at the same time..

Duke could stand to lose Kennard or Allen with Trent coming in.. they CAN'T stand to lose guys like Giles, Tatum or even Jeter...
I wouldn't think there is any way they want Allen back,Kennard has turned into the prototype Duke player,it will seem like he has been there 10 years before he is done

Kennard and Allen could be back. Plus, they have a loaded recruiting class and likely will add to it. They will definitely be very good.

UL will be really good assuming most/all their guys come back. I won't believe Pitino lets them leave until I see it happen.

UNC doesn't lose a ton - Berry is likely back, Jackson may be back.

KU loses some but also has a lot. Azubuike will be back from injury and Newman had a redshirt year, plus they will also likely add a top guy.

A lot to still sort out but I think UL, KU, Wichita St, are all top 5 teams potentially next year.

Duke's class, like many classes they've had, are too position heavy (as it stands now, at least). What good is 3 SG's and a PG who thinks he's a SG?

UNC loses: Meeks, Hicks, White and Brit..That's a good amount for a team that's not recruiting well. Who knows with a guy like Jackson..Does Bradley bolt.. Or better question, if they win the title (or even lose another heartbreaker) what affect does that have?

Kansas: Loses Lucas, Jackson and Mason.. two of those guys were by far and away their best players. Graham? who knows

UNC and Kansas will not be true threats next season.. Good.. maybe great.. but no where near some juggernauts of years' past. Duke is trending that way as well.

Kennard is the 19th pick.. Not sure sure he comes back with K's health issues and having to deal with Allen's BS.. the fact that he hasn't decided (Duke's season has been done for what.. a few weeks now? lolol).. says he's seriously thinking about leaving.

Interesting, do you think Kennard and Allen's decisions will be affected by the other?

I think Kennard is a 1st round pick right now. He would be wise to leave. I suppose Allen might be more willing to come back next season if he feels like there are more shots available. Luke vented earlier in the season, via twitter I believe, about some of the locker room frustration. Something along the lines of, "certain guys not buying into the team concept." I think he enjoyed his time at Duke, but there were some frustrating moments and he has probably maximized his draft potential anyway. I would venture to say Kennard is 80-85% gone. Allen might be somewhere in the 50-60% range. Most mock drafts have Grayson going in the second round; he has a lot more to prove than Luke.

Duke's class, like many classes they've had, are too position heavy (as it stands now, at least). What good is 3 SG's and a PG who thinks he's a SG?

UNC loses: Meeks, Hicks, White and Brit..That's a good amount for a team that's not recruiting well. Who knows with a guy like Jackson..Does Bradley bolt.. Or better question, if they win the title (or even lose another heartbreaker) what affect does that have?

Kansas: Loses Lucas, Jackson and Mason.. two of those guys were by far and away their best players. Graham? who knows

UNC and Kansas will not be true threats next season.. Good.. maybe great.. but no where near some juggernauts of years' past. Duke is trending that way as well.
Some of KU's players are hoping to be OAD,maybe they get out of jail in a year:D

You raise a good point, but it goes beyond the name programs you mentioned. Who is going to be any good next year?

Normally, you can point to certain schools and know that they'll be in the top 10 next year. At this point, I don't even know where to start.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I think Duke will have a hard time landing Bamba. I really do. I think it's more likely that Bolden suits up for Duke next year than Bamba. And I'm not feeling super confident about retaining Bolden. Obviously Bamba and Quade Green are good friends - that will go a long ways. But the other obvious factor, is Duke doesn't do itself any favors by using big men primarily as screeners. Guys that are more polished will get their fair amount of touches like Okafor and Mason Plumlee. But Bamba wouldn't get that many touches in the Duke offense. He really wouldn't. He could get offensive putbacks, lobs, and the occasional screen and roll dunks. Not to mention K generally only likes to feature one big man at a time, which will most likely be Wendell Carter. If I were friends with Bamba, I would probably encourage him to look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Bamba at Duke. But I don't see it as likely outcome at this point.

Weird.. could have sworn I saw Graham and Svetlana on the draft boards all year.. can't find 'em now.

Still would not shock me to see 1 or both leave. Kansas fans seem convinced they lose Graham.

Let's say they both come back. Vick, Newman, Svi, and Graham for the back court.. Udoka, Coleby, Bragg and Preston in the front court? Meh. If Mason, Lucas and Josh Jackson (a top3 pick, maybe #1) can't get to a Final4.. how can this team?

Would rather Giles stay for my personal benefit. A sophomore Giles would come into play with Bamba's recruitment.
Agree. K has been clever getting Tatum and Giles to tell the world there are open spots at Duke.

I think Duke will have a hard time landing Bamba. I really do. I think it's more likely that Bolden suits up for Duke next year than Bamba. And I'm not feeling super confident about retaining Bolden. Obviously Bamba and Quade Green are good friends - that will go a long ways. But the other obvious factor, is Duke doesn't do itself any favors by using big men primarily as screeners. Guys that are more polished will get their fair amount of touches like Okafor and Mason Plumlee. But Bamba wouldn't get that many touches in the Duke offense. He really wouldn't. He could get offensive putbacks, lobs, and the occasional screen and roll dunks. Not to mention K generally only likes to feature one big man at a time, which will most likely be Wendell Carter. If I were friends with Bamba, I would probably encourage him to look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Bamba at Duke. But I don't see it as likely outcome at this point.
We shall see.

You raise a good point, but it goes beyond the name programs you mentioned. Who is going to be any good next year?

Normally, you can point to certain schools and know that they'll be in the top 10 next year. At this point, I don't even know where to start.

Kentucky.. duh!!

I think we'll be in the top tier of teams, to be honest. I called it this past year, and the only reason we slipped was because of injuries to Fox.. otherwise we are a #1 seed.

6 recruits in the top35 coming in.. #1 class already.. Possibly add Bamba, Knox or Smith..

Then we return Hump, Gabriel, and hopefully Briscoe.

Just have to make sure Green is as good as billed. If he's solid, we'll be great. Because we can afford the 3-5 positions to have a dud or two with our depth. And little possibility of foul trouble too.

That's a shockingly honest (and correct) assessment from a fan.

Krzyzewski is not comfortable playing 2 big guys at a time. He rarely did it when he coached USA Basketball, and he had his choice of whoever he wanted. K is always going to gravitate towards 1 PG, 3 shooters, one of whom has enough size to hang inside, and 1 big, with a tendency to go for a more polished scorer, ala Laettner, Brand, Boozer, and Okafor. Wendell Carter fits the mold of a Duke big guy way more than Bamba does.

Kentucky.. duh!!

I think we'll be in the top tier of teams, to be honest. I called it this past year, and the only reason we slipped was because of injuries to Fox.. otherwise we are a #1 seed.

6 recruits in the top35 coming in.. #1 class already.. Possibly add Bamba, Knox or Smith..

Then we return Hump, Gabriel, and hopefully Briscoe.

Just have to make sure Green is as good as billed. If he's solid, we'll be great. Because we can afford the 3-5 positions to have a dud or two with our depth. And little possibility of foul trouble too.
I'm less sold on next year's UK team than I was on this one. I just don't see the player on the roster who can come in and be an elite scorer from day 1. Diallo, I guess, but we'll see how he shoots it.

Given what everyone else is losing, though, the sheer size and physical ability of next year's team should be able to overcome a lot.

That is true.. No elite scorers.. Although for many stretches.. we didn't have one this year. Monk proved to be very streaky.. And Fox had a real tough go with his shot..

I see us being kind of like WVU.. physically imposing, and a lot of big men we can switch in and out. But better slashes and better overall offense.

What we can't sustain is many guys to shoot well off their marks. We can't have another freshman year Briscoe if we want to win the title.

Duke posters seem to be adjusting to the facts:
2 SRs ...starters
2 NBA starter and Giles
2 transfers.. not much pt..Worried on Bolden to make 3
4 still there, but some say they are hearing that Allen, Kennard,and maybe Jackson will leave.

That could be 10........welcome to the show.. get used to it.
Any tips? I am new to this

Yeah, here's an easy one..

Coach K is clearing out his roster to make a last ditch push for Bamba and Knox.

Also, the screenname "ScheyerIsOnFire".. is that in reference to his time in the NBA, or...
Shots fired for no reason...WELL IN THAT CASE, No it was in reference to him making shots to get that national championship in 2010. Is that weird I made my username for a player that was on my team?

I think Kennard is a 1st round pick right now. He would be wise to leave. I suppose Allen might be more willing to come back next season if he feels like there are more shots available. Luke vented earlier in the season, via twitter I believe, about some of the locker room frustration. Something along the lines of, "certain guys not buying into the team concept." I think he enjoyed his time at Duke, but there were some frustrating moments and he has probably maximized his draft potential anyway. I would venture to say Kennard is 80-85% gone. Allen might be somewhere in the 50-60% range. Most mock drafts have Grayson going in the second round; he has a lot more to prove than Luke.
Thanks, I wondered about the dynamic b/w those two since Kennard basically took the prime role from him...and perhaps if Allen declared first if that would tilt Kennard to stay one more year.

"no reason".. you sure about that? lol.

Good luck... Obi, Jeter, Jones, Jefferson, Tatum, Giles... out.

Returning? No one yet.

"no reason".. you sure about that? lol.

Good luck... Obi, Jeter, Jones, Jefferson, Tatum, Giles... out.

Returning? No one yet.
What did I say to offend you? Duke has literally not gone through a process like this and I was making a joke about advice. I have nothing against Kentucky, absolutely hate UNC. Both of us embrace the OAD recruiting, but this is the first time we've had a UK like mass exodus.

Because I'm sure NBA teams would be fawning over the idea of a player coming off two torn ACL tears and having not played at all for two years straight. Makes sense
Look Dookie, I clearly qualified the difference between UK and you.
....Cal clearly puts the interest of players first, preparing them for the future.
....K abandons his team and fakes back spasms every time his winning % is being tarnished.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Feel bad for the kid. Looked like a shell of his former self this season. He may still be good enough to play in the NBA for a while but sadly I see him retiring at a pretty early age. Pick up some paychecks, save money and invest wisely, that would be my advice to Giles. Brandon Roy comes to mind when you look at the kids injury history and the product we saw on the floor this year.

Here is a tip puke turds...don't come here making friendlies. We hate you and your phony ass program. I hope you have a mass exodus and this turnover/stress not only drives splinter out of coaching but to his grave. Did I sugarcoat it?
This is what he gets for bringing that Jabba the Capel back to the staff.
There are no great teams next year. I do not care if we don't have much experience returning, if we some how get Knox and Bamba we will be the most talented team in the land.
And there are some alpha dogs in that group. By March we would be filthy.

Giles should never have played a minute until he could play full speed. His draft stock plummeted because of K's ego.

Honestly, I feel like if he comes back he's going to find himself and be a problem next year. Glad he's going pro.

ADVERTISEMENT