ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Fan Coming In Peace

Oct 24, 2016
I"ll be honest and say that UK shouldn't spend too much time worrying about last night. You guys are still incredibly talented and will be a threat to make the Final 4 and potentially win it all if Duke gets upset.

This loss isn't on Cal or the players or the fans or the offensive scheme or whatever; we just had the best 3 players on the floor and there's nothing that could be done about it if they are locked in.

If there's any blame, it falls on the recruiting. K or Cal's current OAD roster construction is unsustainable unless they get 2 top 5 players every year who are surefire NBA starters at the next level.

Getting "second tier" talent like Gary Trent Jr, Nick Richards, Jarred Vanderbilt, Frank Jackson, Marques Bolden and Wenyen Gabriel isn't going to cut it anymore unless they stay until they are upperclassmen like Patrick Patterson and Grayson Allen since even the "second tier" guys are choosing to be OAD even if it means going outside the lottery or in the 2nd round.

You either need to get 2 elites each year (Ingram, Simmons, Cousins, Wall, Davis, Fox, Towns, Bagley) or develop an offensive system like Jay Wright and Roy Williams who recruit to that system and have top 50 recruits that will stick around all 4 years of college.

Sometimes even "elite" guys like Trevon Duval and Skal Labissiere just don't pan out too so its a huge gamble to develop a roster like Cal and K.

This is the bottome line: Cal and K are playing a very dangerous game now where there's zero margin for error.

Duke fans are worried that if Tre Jones goes pro next year and we don't get Wiseman or Carey, we won't be a contender already.

Kentucky needs to get 2 of Carey, Stewart, Wiseman, Jaden McDaniels other they won't compete for the 2020 National Championship either. That's just the reality of the situation folks.

Man that Duke team looks impressive. I'll be interested to see if they are this dominating consistently or if they was a perfect night for them (which I doubt).

I"ll be honest and say that UK shouldn't spend too much time worrying about last night. You guys are still incredibly talented and will be a threat to make the Final 4 and potentially win it all if Duke gets upset.

This loss isn't on Cal or the players or the fans or the offensive scheme or whatever; we just had the best 3 players on the floor and there's nothing that could be done about it if they are locked in.

If there's any blame, it falls on the recruiting. K or Cal's current OAD roster construction is unsustainable unless they get 2 top 5 players every year who are surefire NBA starters at the next level.

Getting "second tier" talent like Gary Trent Jr, Nick Richards, Jarred Vanderbilt, Frank Jackson, Marques Bolden and Wenyen Gabriel isn't going to cut it anymore unless they stay until they are upperclassmen like Patrick Patterson and Grayson Allen since even the "second tier" guys are choosing to be OAD even if it means going outside the lottery or in the 2nd round.

You either need to get 2 elites each year (Ingram, Simmons, Cousins, Wall, Davis, Fox, Towns, Bagley) or develop an offensive system like Jay Wright and Roy Williams who recruit to that system and have top 50 recruits that will stick around all 4 years of college.

Sometimes even "elite" guys like Trevon Duval and Skal Labissiere just don't pan out too so its a huge gamble to develop a roster like Cal and K.

This is the bottome line: Cal and K are playing a very dangerous game now where there's zero margin for error.

Duke fans are worried that if Tre Jones goes pro next year and we don't get Wiseman or Carey, we won't be a contender already.

Kentucky needs to get 2 of Carey, Stewart, Wiseman, Jaden McDaniels other they won't compete for the 2020 National Championship either. That's just the reality of the situation folks.

Tough reality that we didn’t want to believe, but it’s true. I still feel like we could be a really good team. We’ve got a lot of pieces. Duke has the highest ceiling, but you can’t lose any of the big 3 to foul trouble or injury. Other teams will also play you much differently than UK did. Slow the game down, pack it in, and make you all hit 3’s to win. Duke shot great last night, but that’s not going to happen every night.

I’m still scraping my team off the gym floor.

How many national champions have had a top 2 or 3 player out of high school in the past 9 seasons? Make that in history?
The top tier talent doesn't automatically mean a championship

Good post man. Agree with ya. Gotta have the elite guys or not have the other guys enter the draft.

Man that Duke team looks impressive. I'll be interested to see if they are this dominating consistently or if they was a perfect night for them (which I doubt).

On the one hand, I can't envision Duke playing much better. On the other hand, I would expect a team of freshmen to get a lot better over the course of the season.

How many national champions have had a top 2 or 3 player out of high school in the past 9 seasons? Make that in history?
The other top recruits who didn't win championships like Ben Simmons, Michael Porter or Mo Bamba were coached by awful head coaches and not HOFers like Calipari and K. The rest of their rosters were terrible.

Reactions: kb22stang
Didn’t read the post, don’t really care what it says. I don’t do this often, but I’m going to congratulate you on your win. You have a very special team and I honestly am not even mad anymore about last nights game. All I can do is laugh about it now. I hope for a redemption game come tournament time.

Last night was the biggest men against boys sutuation I’ve ever seen live. Thanks for being gracious about it.

I wouldn’t get too optimistic. I believe that last night’s game was an anomaly and you will not see Duke look that way again.
Coach K, for all of his accolades, has never shown the ability to develop a championship OAD roster. He looked right ancient last night and absolutely ridiculous with jet-black hair.

Anyone remember December 8, 2001?
Tayshaun Prince scores 31 and we humiliate North Carolina and look like we would beat an NBA team. 3 months later, Maryland ends our season in the Sweet 16.

I wouldn’t get too optimistic. I believe that last night’s game was an anomaly and you will not see Duke look that way again.
Coach K, for all of his accolades, has never shown the ability to develop a championship OAD roster. He looked right ancient last night and absolutely ridiculous with jet-black hair.

I believe 2015 begs to differ

Didn’t read the post, don’t really care what it says. I don’t do this often, but I’m going to congratulate you on your win. You have a very special team and I honestly am not even mad anymore about last nights game. All I can do is laugh about it now. I hope for a redemption game come tournament time.

Ditto

Have to agree with others Duke played a great game last night. You have 3 very players and it will be interesting to see how they play the rest of the season.
UK players will learn from this and get better.

Actual duke fans don’t worry about that at all because they know Duke hasn’t bothered recruiting wiseman in forever. Actual Duke fans know Duke is landing boogie Friday and then going after all 3 of Carey, Stewart, and Hurt.

I normally back anything duke on here but your post sucks. Aside from being patronizing and paternalistic as hell, it has the added benefit of being factually incorrect.

Man, I hate duke. Probably more than anyone on here. But RJ and Zion are even better than I thought. And I thought very highly of them.
I think an injury is the only thing that would
Slow them down.
It’s not just that RJ and Zion are top 5 recruits, they are the best combo I think we will see in college for many years. They may not shoot like that every night but I don’t know it will matter. They are relentless attacking the rim. Anthony Davis is the only frosh I would take over these two in the last 10 years.

We will be just fine. You guys had everything you threw up go in, even crappy Bolden over his head back to the basket, went in. We couldn't buy a shot and when the other teams takes 20 more shots and hits 8 more 3's this happens. I'm not worried at all, except some of our guys effort, but they can find the bench. Yes we still could win it all and it doesn't need to be because you all get upset. I would love a rematch in March when Cal does what Cal does.

What?. Get back to your Dukie board!

1974-75 Indiana team beat the breaks off UK they met again in Dayton Ohio for the Mid East regional championship. The only game that team lost in 2 years was to UK. Still to this day it’s Bobby Knights worst loss and the one that still knaws at his ass everyday of his life. Just. Saying if I had my choice I would always take the tournament win over a November or December game. Indiana toyed with us that night as well

Pretty good post, but I chuckled when you said we could win the title IF Duke got upset, basically saying we would lose again if we played Duke. I so hope we meet again because we both know the outcome will be in doubt late into the game.

Can't disagree.

Our problem is Cal can't land the can't miss talents anymore.

Our program is at a crossroads at the moment.

Tip of the cap to you all kicking our ass.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Got to understand C5matt...this is the same fan-base that has folks over the years swearing that the "ACC invented the post-season tournament and had it before the SEC" [laughing] ..."that K-ville 'invented' camping out for tickets" [laughing] ... "that coach K never had to coach in front of a half filled arena that only seats 10,000 people - dUKe has always sold out Cameron" [laughing] ... or having a clue how far off they are for thinking that "dUKe has been a strong program since way before coach K" despite never winning one single NCAA tournament game until it was in its fourth decade. [eyeroll]

Coach K may be the greatest college coach of all time. What he has done is incredible after seeing first hand an empty Cameron many nights and never having to pay more than face value for a ticket (which is a joke historically in Lexington...a true joke), watching two losing seasons in his first three, and seeing dUKe not make the NCAA tournament until his fourth season. Truly a great coach. He could stand to teach his 'follower fans' a great deal more than they've demonstrated knowing over the years...

GO BIG BLUE!

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

This!

How many teams have had the 3 best players on the same team? Biggest difference in the point you're trying to make. Not to mention most 3 top players arent as good as what we saw from Duke's last night. Just sayin.....although it makes me puke.

ADVERTISEMENT