ADVERTISEMENT

Doug the Blue Coat Fired

Hey Mitch, just in case you forgot.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

This. Hate it for the guy but not sure why the outrage. Guy made a mistake he probably wishes he could take back. Can't expect to keep that position though given what happened.

Is what it is.
After 19 years though? That’s ridiculous. I get it I wasn’t wild about him doing it but this the equivalent of the death penalty for a slap to the face.

Suspend him. He learns his lesson and gets to continue doing what he loves. That’s accountability without draconian knee jerking.

I love the passion.

Smart move, no. But that’s a man who bleeds blue.

Would love to see some pressure to bring him back. Like someone else said, give him a “suspension” and do some volunteer work.
There’s already some viral pressure. But if it truly came from Mitch it will fall on deaf ears. I’m getting tired of him to be honest.

After 19 years though? That’s ridiculous. I get it I wasn’t wild about him doing it but this the equivalent of the death penalty for a slap to the face.

Suspend him. He learns his lesson and gets to continue doing what he loves. That’s accountability without draconian knee jerking.
You know Saint Mitch can't tolerate that. It will blemish his perfect persona.

He was fired for giving the florida fans the bird? Thats it?
Ridiculous
It was one specific group of Florida fans that had apparently been especially obnoxious and taunting UK students all game.

I’m sure they provoked and deserved it …but, still, you can’t fall into that trap when you’re wearing the blue coat usher uniform. He should’ve let the kids do the flipping off instead.

Draconian? Most people would lose their job for equivalent conduct. It's an unfortunate mistake but reality. I don't understand the outrage other than people just parroting their favorite radio host

Draconian? Most people would lose their job for equivalent conduct. It's an unfortunate mistake but reality. I don't understand the outrage other than people just parroting their favorite radio host
It's an emotional game. We've seen Cal cuss his players on the sidelines many times. In a normal situation, that person would be fired. Was Cal fired for it?

It was one specific group of Florida fans that had apparently been especially obnoxious and taunting UK students all game.

I’m sure they provoked and deserved it …but, still, you can’t fall into that trap when you’re wearing the blue coat usher uniform. He should’ve let the kids do the flipping off instead.
True but letting him go is an overreaction.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
If KSR hadn’t publicized it nobody would have pursued it. Thanks Matt!

Doug was just returning the many many hand gestures from the Fla goofballs. They didn’t take offense.

Lol. Ok bud. This is why people are leaving jobs left and right. No loyalty. Which is fine with me. As long as it keeps working both ways.

Reactions: Fox2monk
That’s pretty much it. This is Matt Jones as usual picking something stupid to antagonize. I don’t get anyone being outraged on either side of the coin but that’s pretty much society today. Dude is a doofus for doing it and I think on the surface feels like an overreact from UK, but I have a feeling there’s more to the story here. Probably not the first time Doug has done something. Most of the blue coats I have encountered over the years are complete jerks with a power hungry blue jacket.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Folks, Rupp is a very buttoned down environment compared to other college venues, the powers that be are not going to allow this
We sadly know. I’m not supporting his actions. I just think it’s a bit of overreaction to dismiss him permanently.

And as far as fan reaction, it’s more in a line of long list of complaints that aren’t being heard.

And for those saying KSR started it, they didn’t. They just retweeted it from another account.

Again, I don’t like he did that. But you suspend him. Amazing how some are cool with his dismissal but as soon as somebody they like gets “cancelled” it’s war.

It's an emotional game. We've seen Cal cuss his players on the sidelines many times. In a normal situation, that person would be fired. Was Cal fired for it?

If cal flipped off fans, it's a very real possibility he would be fired.

The difference maker would be the fact they would owe him tens of millions whereas doug has scores of people ready to do his job for free and do it without flipping off opposing fans

Folks, Rupp is a very buttoned down environment compared to other college venues, the powers that be are not going to allow this
We sadly know. I’m not supporting his actions. I just think it’s a bit of overreaction to dismiss him permanently.

And as far as fan reaction, it’s more in a line of long list of complaints that aren’t being heard.

And for those saying KSR started it, they didn’t. They just retweeted it from another account.

Again, I don’t like he did that. But you suspend him. Amazing how some are cool with his dismissal but as soon as somebody they like gets “cancelled” it’s war.

Reactions: TheJuddDome

The difference maker would be the fact they would owe him tens of millions whereas doug has scores of people ready to do his job for free and do it without flipping off opposing fans
I’d take that bet. I bet Cal would be suspend for a few games and then issue would be considered handled. Precisely because we owe him so much damn money.

Opposing fans, you must be kidding. If UK is worried about right and wrong, money isn't the issue. Saint Mitch is a pathetic hypocrite. But by ignoring my comment are you implying that it is acceptable for Cal to cuss our players on the sidelines? That confuses me a bit.

This is exactly right. Those positions are both highly coveted and represent the university.

I also don’t think the university is out of line to expect that individuals in those roles exhibit a modicum of decorum when performing their duties.

It’s unfortunate they let him go, but I don’t get the outrage here.

This is exactly right. Those positions are both highly coveted and represent the university.

I also don’t think the university is out of line to expect that individuals in those roles exhibit a modicum of decorum when performing their duties.

It’s unfortunate they let him go, but I don’t get the outrage here.
I’m not outraged he’s being punished, I’m aggravated that it’s yet another knee jerk reaction in modern society. What’s worse is what he did is classless, but it wasn’t bigoted, racist or sexist. It’s worthy of a suspension. But unless he’s been in trouble before, which you’d think would be mentioned by UK, it’s way over the top. Especially for a long standing and loyal volunteer.

I’m just sick of UK making mind numbing decisions that seem to fly in the face of fans.

There was a group of UF fans (middle aged men all wearing different former player Florida jerseys) antagonizing the UK student section. I think they may have even had seats in the student section. Not sure exactly what they did or said, but Doug was shown on video flipping them off. It went viral.
People these days are so soft.

Yeah, it was a mistake. If it hadn't been caught on video nothing would have been done. I wouldn't fire the guy, especially since he's been doing the job for so long without incident. I'd give him a warning and tell him he has to be above that kind of thing if he's gonna wear that blue jacket. If it happened again, then I'd fire him.

I’m not outraged he’s being punished, I’m aggravated that it’s yet another knee jerk reaction in modern society. What’s worse is what he did is classless, but it wasn’t bigoted, racist or sexist. It’s worthy of a suspension. But unless he’s been in trouble before, which you’d think would be mentioned by UK, it’s way over the top. Especially for a long standing and loyal volunteer.

I’m just sick of UK making mind numbing decisions that seem to fly in the face of fans.
It’s not a knee jerk reaction.

These guys get the privilege of attending every home game for free, which is why there is a waiting list to join the Committee.

They only thing they have to do in return is perform a customer service role towards the fans and be professional about it.

Is it really too much to ask to expect someone in a customer service role to refrain from flipping off the paying customers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT