ADVERTISEMENT

Doug the Blue Coat Fired

It’s not a knee jerk reaction.

These guys get the privilege of attending every home game for free, which is why there is a waiting list to join the Committee.

They only thing they have to do is perform a customer service role towards the fans and be professional about it.

Is it really too much to ask to expect someone in a customer service role to refrain from flipping off the paying customers?
Cal is doing that metaphorically every time he uses a bad line up.

AGAIN, I’m not saying I like what Doug did. I’m saying it’s ridiculous to fire somebody after 19 years for one infraction.

If people were fired every time they made a mistake, nobody would be working. And he also didn’t even offend the peopl he flipped off. They want him back too.

You know how this should’ve been handled?

The athletic program puts out a saying that conduct is not acceptable and he’s been suspended pending retraining. Fans think that’s fair and Doug gets to keep doing something he loves while being involved with the community and the program.

But yes I know. Compromise is an evil disgrace in Murica.

I’d take that bet. I bet Cal would be suspend for a few games and then issue would be considered handled. Precisely because we owe him so much damn money.

Yes and? I said that would be the difference maker if there was a difference. 50 mil vs a guy working a coveted volunteer position makes it an easy justification

Not just once but twice he pretended to be a cop.
Twice was just the number of times he got caught. He did it innumerable other times …for years and years …without being caught.

Hell, he might still be doing it today for all we know. Getting caught the first time certainly didn’t discourage him from continuing to do it.

Reactions: catzfanjim
Twice was just the number of times he got caught. He did it innumerable other times …for years and years …without being caught.

Hell, he might still be doing it today for all we know. Getting caught the first time certainly didn’t discourage him from continuing to do it.
What am I missing with these references?

Cal is doing that metaphorically every time he uses a bad line up.

AGAIN, I’m not saying I like what Doug did. I’m saying it’s ridiculous to fire somebody after 19 years for one infraction.

If people were fired every time they made a mistake, nobody would be working. And he also didn’t even offend the peopl he flipped off. They want him back too.

You know how this should’ve been handled?

The athletic program puts out a saying that conduct is not acceptable and he’s been suspended pending retraining. Fans think that’s fair and Doug gets to keep doing something he loves while being involved with the community and the program.

But yes I know. Compromise is an evil disgrace in Murica.
If a cashier in a retail store or the person at the front desk of a hotel were to insult a paying customer then, more likely than not, they’re going to be fired. Regardless of their time of service and especially if there are 10 other people who’ve already been lined up begging for that person’s job.

It simply should not be a surprise he was “fired” nor should it cause this much outrage.

It was one specific group of Florida fans that had apparently been especially obnoxious and taunting UK students all game.

I’m sure they provoked and deserved it …but, still, you can’t fall into that trap when you’re wearing the blue coat usher uniform. He should’ve let the kids do the flipping off instead.
looked like he drop the ol' "Fvck you" also
We don't wanna be IU

Reactions: saxonburgcat
What am I missing with these references?
A long time regular poster here (I believe now posting under the name 2adulterers) is someone who has a notorious history in real life as a pathological liar/con man type. And that includes a well known history of impersonating a police officer and pulling people over with fake traffic stops ( for which he’s been twice busted, with the two arrests being many years apart ).

If you dig around with the search function, you can probably find out his real name and a good number of newspaper articles written about him. At least I know that info has been posted here on quite a few occasions before.

Reactions: yoshukai
If a cashier in a retail store or the person at the front desk of a hotel were to insult a paying customer then, more likely than not, they’re going to be fired. Regardless of their time of service and especially if there are 10 other people who’ve already been lined up begging for that person’s job.

It simply should not be a surprise he was “fired” nor should it cause this much outrage.

I’ve worked retail management with high performance reviews and client satisfaction. If a customers rude behavior was the initial cause of an employees reaction, I’d very much take that into account along with the employee’s record. If that’s a guy I had for 19 years? And he’s had a spotless record? Not happening. I’m not letting him go over one incident. Especially so if he’s one of my best guys, which if I had him for 19 years I would hope his performance backs that up. That’s called being reasonable and using context. A lot of times you have to fire a customer. They ain’t always right. And this time the customer is basically saying they weren’t and are sticking up for him. The incident also matters of course and I would definitely be punishing the employee in some shape or form.

Perhaps ol Doug was really an asshole and this was the last straw. But after 19 years you would think it would’ve happened before now.

Last edited:
I’ve worked retail management with high performance reviews and client satisfaction. If a customers rude behavior was the initial cause of an employees reaction, I’d very much take that into account along with the employee’s record. If that’s a guy I had for 19 years? And he’s had a spotless record? Not happening. I’m not letting him go over one incident. Especially so if he’s one of my best guys, which if I had him for 19 years I would hope his performance backs that up. That’s called being reasonable and using context. A lot of times you have to fire a customer. They ain’t always right. And this time the customer is basically saying they weren’t and are sticking up for him. The incident also matters of course and I would definitely be punishing the employee in some shape or form.

Perhaps ol Doug was really an asshole and this was the last straw. But after 19 years you would think it would’ve happened before now.
If you would’ve chosen to handle things differently, then that’s your prerogative. If UK would’ve simply suspended him, I would’ve seen no issue with that approach.

But that doesn’t change the fact that it is also perfectly reasonable for them to chose to fire him instead of suspending him. It’s just not that hard to refrain from flipping off customers. It really isn’t.

As I mentioned, I’m not arguing what UK should or shouldn’t have done though I believe what UK did was reasonable. I simply don’t get why people are upset about this though I suspect that, for some, they might simply looking for something to be angry about (that’s not necessarily directed towards you specifically).

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Nothing could more epitomize what a total moron we have for a AD than him (or his cronies) dismissing a lifelong UK fan who has voluntarily worked his job for 19 YEARS without so much as a peep...without pay...but, makes one small slip up and gets shown the door.
This is the same dorky-assed AD and athletics dept that forced stupid checkerboards and a fornicating birds logo on the fanbase. What a bunch of dog turds!
SCREW YOU BRAINFART!

I stand by what I said about accepting consequences. Seeing the video I don't think the consequences match the punishment though. Had he walked up to whomever he flipped the bird to and was getting in their face, sure. In the excitement of the game coming to an end? I think relieving him of is future duties is a little extreme. Suspend him the rest of the season if you must, but don't send the man packing.

I have a funny story from my car salesman days about 20 years ago. Our new car sales manager, a former Navy Seal named Dale Cybulski, once called a customer a stupid "mother father" during negotiations. What makes the story funny is that the next day the customer came back and purchased the car. His reason he said was because our NCSM and myself were the most honest people with him and he actually respected the NCSM for allowing him time to come to his senses and realize it despite the harsh words.

Btw, Dale was not fired, either. The GM only cared that the car was sold 😁

Reactions: bbncal02
It was one specific group of Florida fans that had apparently been especially obnoxious and taunting UK students all game.

I’m sure they provoked and deserved it …but, still, you can’t fall into that trap when you’re wearing the blue coat usher uniform. He should’ve let the kids do the flipping off instead.
I’m sure you are fun at parties. It should have been a non issue

This is exactly right. Those positions are both highly coveted and represent the university.

I also don’t think the university is out of line to expect that individuals in those roles exhibit a modicum of decorum when performing their duties.

It’s unfortunate they let him go, but I don’t get the outrage here.
The outrage is Barney and his stupid contract to a person who ever since has been a loser. Cal can stomp and act like an idiot but this old guy gets excited and gets canned. I get it they are coveted but an ad with a sack would know that’s the kind of guy who bleeds the bluest of blue. Barney still has a job after years of mismanagement.

I say put ole Doug on the bench as a manager Cal. Stick it in Barney’s face and give this guy a chance to rekindle some BIll keightly energy. We need some old school piss and vinegar.

I find it funny that the UK athletic department are upset by someone who represents UK flipping the bird while being perfectly fine with their coaches screaming f bombs non stop.

This is a valid point. Coaches are allowed to get away with a ton other employees of a university are not. To be fair, players are compared to other students as well.

I wouldn't have fired him but sure there is a long list of volunteers that will do the volunteering and never flip a bird or cuss out a fan or opposing player, etc. Im using the latter 2 as other examples and not saying Doug ever did that.

The fake cop psycho is the biggest wtf of this thread. One day he is gonna pull over the wrong person.

This is exactly right. Those positions are both highly coveted and represent the university.

I also don’t think the university is out of line to expect that individuals in those roles exhibit a modicum of decorum when performing their duties.

It’s unfortunate they let him go, but I don’t get the outrage here.

Exactly!

Yeah, it was a mistake. If it hadn't been caught on video nothing would have been done. I wouldn't fire the guy, especially since he's been doing the job for so long without incident. I'd give him a warning and tell him he has to be above that kind of thing if he's gonna wear that blue jacket. If it happened again, then I'd fire him.

The voice of reason! Having said that, I don't have a problem with him being fired. There are lines that cannot be crossed. His job is to de-escalate out of control emotions and not inflame them, as he did.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
The outrage is Barney and his stupid contract to a person who ever since has been a loser. Cal can stomp and act like an idiot but this old guy gets excited and gets canned. I get it they are coveted but an ad with a sack would know that’s the kind of guy who bleeds the bluest of blue. Barney still has a job after years of mismanagement.

I say put ole Doug on the bench as a manager Cal. Stick it in Barney’s face and give this guy a chance to rekindle some BIll keightly energy. We need some old school piss and vinegar.
Hell, in support of Doug whoever they have do the “Y” should throw up double birds😎

I tried reading thru as many posts on this as I could before fatigue set in.
I found this topic a little ironic after what I witnessed this weekend.
While attending my granddaughters basketball game, I witnessed pretty much the same thing first hand only this was from a player to people in the stands.

My granddaughter plays for a private Christian school and was playing a big Catholic school that is in their district. To be honest, it should not have even been a contest, a small Christian school with 8th graders helping make out the roster going up against a school 25 times their size.
But to the point; while warming up, a player from the Catholic school gave someone in the stands the finger. It could have been me she was giving it to for all I know but I was just sitting there not saying anything so I assumed it was for someone in my general area since it happened right in front of me.

If that was not enough, she does it again. As an old high school coach, if one of my players ever did anything like that, they would be my assistant for the near future. I did not allow such behavior by my players. If something needed to be said, done, I was the one to do it. Not the players.

The little Christian school was holding their own, hustling, diving for balls, just ball'n like hell and I love it. but these two kids from the Catholic school did not like being in this situation and was talking crap to my granddaughters team. Not just "smack talk" but calling them bitches and such.

The game ended and as I was walking out, I walked past the AD for the Catholic school and I stopped and asked him if he was the AD ( I already knew he was, but wanted him to feel comfortable) and he said Yes, and turned to talk to me. I spoke to him calmly and very politely telling him what I witnessed the entire game knowing he knew this since he was three rows in front of me during the game. I said that this kind of behavior was not acceptable for high school athletes to act this way much less ones from a Catholic school.
The AD looked me dead in the eye and said, "they are kids and kids do dumb things".

He did not say I will take care of this, no he brushed it off.
My point is, when leaders such as these folks allow this behavior for 15 year old girls, how do you think they will act when they get older?
There is no accountability these days.

I feel bad for the man but he should know better than to act like this. He is a representative of UK.

ADVERTISEMENT