ADVERTISEMENT

Dontaie Allen leading UA Challenge in scoring, Cal watches today

Another fun fact Fred, Derrick Byars never lost a game to Kentucky in his career, even when he played for Virginia, transferring to Vanderbilt..

I knew that. I was watching the game we finally broke the Rupp Arena curse at a sports bar here in Nashville with a buddy of mine (from just outside of Lexington and big Wildcat fan) and honestly, I just flipped out when the final whistle blew. He was like, what the hell is wrong with you.... lol. Couldn't help it.

I was a huge Byars fan, one hell of a player and a great young man to boot.

Reactions: 1991greywildcat
I knew that. I was watching the game we finally broke the Rupp Arena curse at a sports bar here in Nashville with a buddy of mine (from just outside of Lexington and big Wildcat fan) and honestly, I just flipped out when the final whistle blew. He was like, what the hell is wrong with you.... lol. Couldn't help it.

I was a huge Byars fan, one hell of a player and a great young man to boot.

Best teams i knew of Vandy ever having, maybe that 2012 Vanderbilt team could take them, they was really good..

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
Best teams i knew of Vandy ever having, maybe that 2012 Vanderbilt team could take them, they was really good..

2012 - frustrating. What a talented team.

Jenkins was a hair slow defensively and Taylor was horrid mentally, but that was a ridiculous offensive team.

You just moved the goal posts... you were basing it on talent....
No. It is common knowledge that there is different expectations for different players in sports. While Brad brings almost nothing to the team in regards to talent on the floor, he does bring the fact that as long as he is here his father will be here. So he is extremely valuable. If any other non talented kid from Kentucky (or any state for that matter) could say the same thing after Brad is gone then I would happily have him take up a roster spot (or Walk-on spot).

Reactions: Ky grandpa
No. It is common knowledge that there is different expectations for different players in sports. While Brad brings almost nothing to the team in regards to talent on the floor, he does bring the fact that as long as he is here his father will be here. So he is extremely valuable. If any other non talented kid from Kentucky (or any state for that matter) could say the same thing after Brad is gone then I would happily have him take up a roster spot (or Walk-on spot).

If you can lessen expectations because they bring something else to the table then you can understand why people want 1-3 KY boys on the team at the 11-13 scholarships.... There is an extra pride / cheering factor for home state kids.

If you can lessen expectations because they bring something else to the table then you can understand why people want 1-3 KY boys on the team at the 11-13 scholarships.... There is an extra pride / cheering factor for home state kids.

Some Exceptions prove the rule. Having Brad on the team is not "lessening" the expectations. One may argue that he is more important than any single 5* player we've had. He keeps Cal here. And because we have Cal here we will always have a stable full of 5* talent. Thus if a kid is less talented then it is in his best interest to go elsewhere.

If you tell me that you will cheer more and have more pride in a UK team with a Kentucky Kid on it then you would for a UK team without a Kentucky Kid on it, then I question your truthfulness. Come the Duke Game you will be cheering your heart out just as I will, no matter who is on the team. We cheer for the front of the Jersey, not the back. I don't know about you but my pride in being part off the greatest fan-base for the greatest school in history cannot get any larger. It doesn't matter who is on the team.

Some Exceptions prove the rule. Having Brad on the team is not "lessening" the expectations. One may argue that he is more important than any single 5* player we've had. He keeps Cal here. And because we have Cal here we will always have a stable full of 5* talent. Thus if a kid is less talented then it is in his best interest to go elsewhere.

If you tell me that you will cheer more and have more pride in a UK team with a Kentucky Kid on it then you would for a UK team without a Kentucky Kid on it, then I question your truthfulness. Come the Duke Game you will be cheering your heart out just as I will, no matter who is on the team. We cheer for the front of the Jersey, not the back. I don't know about you but my pride in being part off the greatest fan-base for the greatest school in history cannot get any larger. It doesn't matter who is on the team.

The more you can relate ... the more pride you have... living most of my life in Ky ...Ky boys accomplishing great things gives me a little bit more pride .... then a home town kid... that would give even more pride... and if it was a family member... then there would be a lot more pride. just the nature of sports.....

And tell you the truth ..I have more pride in Cam. Mills and Scott Padgett and Anthony Epps than I do a Doron Lamb......... even though Lamb also brought us a title.... its because I relate more to a kid that grew up in the state that I did.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
The more you can relate ... the more pride you have... living most of my life in Ky ...Ky boys accomplishing great things gives me a little bit more pride .... then a home town kid... that would give even more pride... and if it was a family member... then there would be a lot more pride. just the nature of sports.....

And tell you the truth ..I have more pride in Cam. Mills and Scott Padgett and Anthony Epps than I do a Doron Lamb......... even though Lamb also brought us a title.... its because I relate more to a kid that grew up in the state that I did.

In this we will just have to agree to disagree. In the modern sports era where players just move from team to team with very little loyalty to the local area it is just how it is. Very rarely do you see a local kid with talent stay home and play for the home town school anymore. The shoe companies and AAU have ruined that part of the game. So you are left with the 3 and possibly 4* players who look to stay local. And UK is not really a place for that level of talent in its present state.

All of those players you mentioned had ability to play and contribute. If we added a 3* player from Kentucky he would most likely sit the bench until his senior year with only spot minutes along the way. Then he may or may not get a chance to play as a senior depending on the needs of the team. I would not have more pride in that team just because a Kentucky boy was sitting the bench.

The era of rooting for a school because there was a local kid on the roster is a thing of the past. Sure there will be a few here and there but today it is mostly ran as a business and as such the kids make business decisions for their futures, not the nostalgic choices of their childhood.

Reactions: hamidousvertical
Nice game for Allen tonight at UA. Even K was watching game.

I actually think that we need 1-2 3-4 stars in every class. Guys that can learn behind the 5 stars, maybe get some minutes year 2-3 and be major contributers years 3-4.

We may as well take some talent for the last theee roster spots. And try to mold a few Jorts like players.

Sounds like an insult, but you're 100% correct. We've had one Elite in our History and we famously got a mystery traveling call on John Ed Miller to give Michigan the trip to the Final Four. Not so ironically, our last chance at the Elite 8, Jeff Green was allowed 4 steps to hit the game winner at the buzzer, no travel call, no Elite 8 (This was Derrick Byars Sr yearr and Shan Foster's Jr year).

Foster was a really good player.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
It's coming.

Just has to come visit after the summer session and let the staff see him alongside our talent. If he holds his own, he'll be a Cat.

This is actually working out nicely for the kid and our program. He's working extra hard and getting all this respect and notoriety. Makes it a bigger deal when he comes here.

what's UK material? because I know for sure Brad doesnt meet your expectations... and several other guys that have played here under Cal.

Why does Brad get drug into the conversation? Brad is a walkon that is here because his Hall of Fame coach wants him here. It amazes me how some on here continually cry about Brad getting a little PT or even being on the team.

Sounds like Rivals will move him inside their Top 75 too.

I have no clue what he did there to piss people off but he took vu as far as they will probably every go. Going to take a miracle for them to ever make a FF>

Personally I don’t care one bit where a kid is from as long as they can play ball. High school ball and the AAU teams and prep schools - kids are moving around constantly. It’s all about finding the right place to spotlight your talent and get noticed. Whether a kid does that 5 minutes down the road or on the other side of the world, once they put that Kentucky jersey on I am rooting for them all the same.

This Allen kid can flat play and I think he gets an offer before long. I see him being a solid contributor over time, but who is to say he couldn’t go all SGA and exceed all expectations? But will I cheer harder for him than, let’s say, Maxey? Of course not. Whoever chooses to suit up for Kentucky, plays hard, represents the school with class - THAT is a Kentucky kid to me and that’s who I want on my team.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Stallings is a little bitch boy who probably feels inferior due to his small weiner and the fact that he has an uncanny resemblance to Hank Hill

Don't insult Hank like that. It's Bill Dauterive you are looking for.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I think we get Allen if Cal wants him. Love to have this kid because he is good and being from Kentucky just makes it sweeter for him and us. but but but.... what if Cal doesn't offer? What if Allen gets and offer and picks some other team? What if Allen gets an offer then accepts then refuses to come? What if a frog had wings..... Look Cal will either offer or he will not offer. Allen will either accept or choose to go elsewhere. In the end we will all be ok. Everyone back away from the edge and move slowly forward. Cal got Swag even swaggy swag. He da king of Las Vegas. He da coach of coaching. We da best fans in baketball. Now where is smooth and ulismy man. I need a prediction smooth on Allen coming to Uk and one on an offer. We are the world UK. Cal is the world dat have da swag. Our team got swag. Allen got swag. Put 3 swags together and it spells UK Basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT