ADVERTISEMENT

Dontaie Allen leading UA Challenge in scoring, Cal watches today

I like the kid's game a lot based on what you see from the highlight clips.

Should be a nice 4 year player. Makes 3's, which Cal has recently said he's going to look for more. I think he makes a lot of sense for us to go after.

giphy.gif

Why don’t we offer now instead of dragging it out? We usually have 10 scholarship players. Plenty of room. Looks like Cal wants Allen to go ahead and grab an available offer. Maybe it’s easier for him not to take any locals

If he wasn't from KY how many would want him?

I know nothing about him, Just curious if the kid is truly UK material or if it's just in state homeism talking...

Most everyone agrees that UK needs a 3*/4* player every class who has potential. Why do we tout instate players for this spot? Because they are the ones who are most likely to agree to come and play sparingly for 2 years. Players like Allen can go to Vandy and play decent minutes as a FR and star as a SO. Why turn that down to ride the bench for 2 years? One big reason would be the opportunity to play instate for UK. I don't care where players are from but instate ones are more likely to be a role player starting out, IMO.

Reactions: JPScott
Most everyone agrees that UK needs a 3*/4* player every class who has potential. Why do we tout instate players for this spot? Because they are the ones who are most likely to agree to come and play sparingly for 2 years. Players like Allen can go to Vandy and play decent minutes as a FR and star as a SO. Why turn that down to ride the bench for 2 years? One big reason would be the opportunity to play instate for UK. I don't care where players are from but instate ones are more likely to be a role player starting out, IMO.
Majority of the kids in top 100 think they are NBA players. Getting those guys to sit behind anybody is a chore. I love the Hawkins Miller Willis guys but those are few and far between.

Why don’t we offer now instead of dragging it out? We usually have 10 scholarship players. Plenty of room. Looks like Cal wants Allen to go ahead and grab an available offer. Maybe it’s easier for him not to take any locals
He visited campus last month but believe he may have had a twisted ankle or minor injury that prevented him from playing with the team. He’s expected to visit again.

Majority of the kids in top 100 think they are NBA players. Getting those guys to sit behind anybody is a chore. I love the Hawkins Miller Willis guys but those are few and far between.
I think he may be patient enough. Humble, lives close to Lexington and is actually talented enough to get some minutes as a frosh.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I have to hear Fred's take first.

@Friedas_Boss

If UK wants him, I want him.

If UK doesn't want him, he still may be good enough for us!

Can't wait to see our freshman class (Darius Garland, Simi Shittu, Aaron Nesmith). Best class in the history of our program and we're all pretty pumped. Add to that Saben Lee's second year (hear he is doing great things this offseason), and transfers Matt Ryan / Yanni Wetzel and we *should* be a lot better this upcoming year!

Last edited:
His brother has always recruited well at Baylor, only thing he has to show is a couple of elite eights, which an elite eight would be like a final four to Vandy fans..

Sounds like an insult, but you're 100% correct. We've had one Elite in our History and we famously got a mystery traveling call on John Ed Miller to give Michigan the trip to the Final Four. Not so ironically, our last chance at the Elite 8, Jeff Green was allowed 4 steps to hit the game winner at the buzzer, no travel call, no Elite 8 (This was Derrick Byars Sr yearr and Shan Foster's Jr year).

Reactions: stuway
I actually think that we need 1-2 3-4 stars in every class. Guys that can learn behind the 5 stars, maybe get some minutes year 2-3 and be major contributers years 3-4.

One to two, four stars.....yes.

If UK doesn't want he, he still may be good enough for us!

Can't wait to see our freshman class (Darius Garland, Simi Shittu, Aaron Nesmith). Best class in the history of our program and we're all pretty pumped. Add to that Saben Lee's second year (hear he is doing great things this offseason), and transfers Matt Ryan / Yanni Wetzel and we *should* be a lot better this upcoming year!
I always enjoy the SEC season more when Vandy (and the whole league) is good.

Yeah, if I were a Vandy fan I would be pumped about the talent Drew is bringing in. He’s also a really good coach. It’s a good thing for the SEC.

I never cared for Stallings pompous attitude, but Bryce seems ok.

Crazy how a prestigious academic school such as Vandy (and duke for that matter) is all of a sudden recruiting at an insanely high clip...

Yeah, if I were a Vandy fan I would be pumped about the talent Drew is bringing in. He’s also a really good coach. It’s a good thing for the SEC.

I never cared for Stallings pompous attitude, but Bryce seems ok.

Stallings is a little bitch boy who probably feels inferior due to his small weiner and the fact that he has an uncanny resemblance to Hank Hill

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk and kev69

I really like Simi Shittu. Think he will be a very good player for Vandy. Excited for all the young talent that is going to be in the SEC next year. Vandy will have be a talented team and a tough beat.

Sounds like an insult, but you're 100% correct. We've had one Elite in our History and we famously got a mystery traveling call on John Ed Miller to give Michigan the trip to the Final Four. Not so ironically, our last chance at the Elite 8, Jeff Green was allowed 4 steps to hit the game winner at the buzzer, no travel call, no Elite 8 (This was Derrick Byars Sr yearr and Shan Foster's Jr year).

I remember that Jeff Green game Fred, it was in 2007, before the Celtic's took him. Vanderbilt will be back, Bryce is a better coach than his brother and dad, especially when he gets high end talent..

Another fun fact Fred, Derrick Byars never lost a game to Kentucky in his career, even when he played for Virginia, transferring to Vanderbilt..

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
ADVERTISEMENT