ADVERTISEMENT

Don't Pass on Kentucky Guards

This is the warning that Cal issued the NBA. I agree that the NBA shouldn't take a pass on them for fear of history repeating itself. However, the warning came from the muscle-head coach who passed on both players as starters for most of the season.
Cal knew what he was doing. All of us Bennies just too dumb to understand his greatness. Cal bragging on the Pat McAfee show about not starting the two best shooters in UK history.
Cal:
“Do you understand those two are going to be lottery picks? And they came off the bench and never said anything!” Calipari said. “Everybody was on my ass, ‘What are you doing? This guy can’t coach anymore! He’s losing his mind!’ Well, I had a team to coach and I wanted to bring everybody together. That’s what I was doing.”

What a POS. Thank you Tyson Chicken. 🤬🤬🤬

Cal knew what he was doing. All of us Bennies just too dumb to understand his greatness. Cal bragging on the Pat McAfee show about not starting the two best shooters in UK history.
Cal:
“Do you understand those two are going to be lottery picks? And they came off the bench and never said anything!” Calipari said. “Everybody was on my ass, ‘What are you doing? This guy can’t coach anymore! He’s losing his mind!’ Well, I had a team to coach and I wanted to bring everybody together. That’s what I was doing.”

Cal is so badly out of it that he believes the craziness that comes out of his mouth in half sentences.

Reed has given Cal big props very recently so you might be disappointed in what he might say. We are glad Cal is gone but many of his players seem to remain loyal including Reed.
Reed has been well coached by his parents. He isn't going to pop off with his true feelings when there is nothing to be gained from it. There is little doubt in my mind that the entire Sheppard family has utter disdain for Cal. Cal is like the crazy uncle that is brought out of the back room for holidays, but everyone in attendance knows that he is subject to say or do just about anything.

Last edited:
Reed has been well coached by his parents. He isn't going to pop off with his true feelings when there is nothing to be gained from it. There is little doubt in my mind that the entire Sheppard family has utter disdain for Cal. Cal is like the crazy uncle that is brought out of the back room for holidays, but everyone in attendance knows that he is subject to say or do just about anything.
Not what I was saying at all. Reed did say very positive things about Cal recently and I doubt he would say anything bad tonight like the other poster was hoping for. That was my point. I have no idea what his or his parents' true feelings about Cal are. You must be a close friend of theirs since you claim to know exactly how they feel. I'm not that closely connected.

Cal:

Bringing everybody together by playing favorites with guys who didn't deserve it? Ok Kal.

It is the classy thing to do, I agree. I have no idea of their true feelings.
Agreed and as you say, we don't know their true feelings, but I suspect many close to Cal see him the way many on Rafters have regrettably come to see him. Not all will agree and that's OK ... I just wish Cal would have chosen to end his tenure at UK with some modicum of integrity and grace. He couldn't do that and now he will forever be remembered as the pig he is ... fitting, if not poetic. Good riddance.

Reed has given Cal big props very recently so you might be disappointed in what he might say. We are glad Cal is gone but many of his players seem to remain loyal including Reed.

Reed is too classy to say anything negative about Calipari, and he’s too young to know many of the differences. Reed is all blue and Calipari only recently took an interests in him for draft reasons and to piss of the fanbase. Thats classic cal, underutilize Reed in favor of someone like Wagner and piss everyone off, take credit for his draft status even though you did nothing to improve it, and now take an interests in Reed for the sole reason to piss people off again. This is the type of reason nobody in the ncaa or coaching profession like shady Cal. It’s why he has no UK legacy or a legacy at all. He’s a pos.

And we STILL have a few fans that can’t read through his bullshit even now. It’s amazing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
It is the classy thing to do, I agree. I have no idea of their true feelings.

We might in a way. Now that Reed is filthy rich and the Sheppards will never worry about money again, things like UK and UK basketball aren’t top priority anymore. Just the sad reality. They don’t have to care anymore. But before the money became a mountain we know that Jeff didn’t like Cal to the point where some worried if Reed might actually play somewhere else. Jeff was there when Cal left to be with the fans and the program while the AD and new coach (his best friend) were taking shot after shot at Cal at the press conference. Jeff has stated he hated Calipari’s system at UK. They’re all above UK basketball now so nah they’re not gonna get in the mud. Reed is a kid he doesn’t know anyway. He just knows he’s rich now.

Last edited:
Cal:

Unreal. 😂

Yeah, the best thing for the team was to be indebted to handlers and put your team in a hole by having your two best guards on the bench to start the game.

His coaching decisions have been terrible for so many years. He has also never been wrong in his mind. Everyone else is dumb except him. That’s what he really believes .

Cal:

I bet he didn’t say, we were built for March or we lost the first game we played in the postseason twice! I’m a genius! I brought them together for that.

Reactions: cathouse
Cal looked at the team and decided at the moment when he has maximum control over the lineup to put one of his worst lineups on the court. There is no foul trouble at the start of the game. He doesn't have to play the 9th man out of necessity. For no practical on the court reason, he chose to play a terrible lineup combination for ~20% of the game.

Reactions: cathouse
I think you are wrong. I think that might be true of the Dillingham’s, but not the Sheppards. I would say they are indifferent to him.
Reed has said many times he didn’t think he would play much as a FR. He was our PG, 2nd in minutes on the team (closer to 1st than 3rd).

Cal looked at the team and decided at the moment when he has maximum control over the lineup to put one of his worst lineups on the court. There is no foul trouble at the start of the game. He doesn't have to play the 9th man out of necessity. For no practical on the court reason, he chose to play a terrible lineup combination for ~20% of the game.
You do realize guys can’t go 40 min. You don’t even want them playing 35min often. 2 years ago we blamed Grady’s foot injury (on Cal) to him playing too many games in a row 35+ min (5-6 games).
That said, we still should have started Reed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT