ADVERTISEMENT

Scared money don't make money

sosoblue

Senior
Aug 18, 2004
Somebody said the other day that if Kentucky don't get this hire right we will be like Nebraska Football. I'm like BS that will never happen here. Now back to the title scared money don't make money. My uncle told me this and it's true. Mitch you do whatever you need to do to bring in the BEST hire. Money should never be the reason why a candidate turns us down. This is a GREAT program and school. Why a coach would pass on this opportinity is crazy!!

Last edited:
Make no mistake, money is about the only thing we have going for us. It's not the history, or the fanbase, or the state, or the city, or the NIL opportunities... and it's certainly not the pressure or scrutiny that comes with the job.

It's the amount that the program is willing to shell out to get what SHOULD be a top5 coach.. and even that we are struggling to do.

If UK wants to stay relevant, and I think we are at a real crossroads here.. then we have to just pony up. Hiring Coach Cal was like a 2:00am bathroom bump, and it worked for a bit, gave us some energy, but it's wearing off now and the sun is coming up. We have to pay our way out of this mess and acknowledge that this lofty pay, will likely drive revenue elsewhere within the program.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Eh I'm not willing to go there. Money is a huge issue though and now that it's pay to play it really damages the recruiting advantage Blue Bloods once had.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Make no mistake, money is about the only thing we have going for us. It's not the history, or the fanbase, or the state, or the city, or the NIL opportunities... and it's certainly not the pressure or scrutiny that comes with the job.

It's the amount that the program is willing to shell out to get what SHOULD be a top5 coach.. and even that we are struggling to do.

If UK wants to stay relevant, and I think we are at a real crossroads here.. then we have to just pony up. Hiring Coach Cal was like a 2:00am bathroom bump, and it worked for a bit, gave us some energy, but it's wearing off now and the sun is coming up. We have to pay our way out of this mess and acknowledge that this lofty pay, will likely drive revenue elsewhere within the program.

Other than not advancing to a final four or national championship game what mess are you speaking of? It's not like we are in trouble with the NCAA or anything. A top coach should be able to hit the ground running.

Other than not advancing to a final four or national championship game what mess are you speaking of? It's not like we are in trouble with the NCAA or anything. A top coach should be able to hit the ground running.

Coaches don't want to come here. They don't see this job the way many of the fans see it. It's too much stress and pressure, and even the lofty salary isn't covering it. We have struggled to hire for over 20 years now.

• Haha
Reactions: Midway Cat

No. This is wrong.

Money is a thing. Maybe most important.
But successful coaches want all of it. Very few dream of going 40-0 to 4,000 seat arenas and no television.

The fame. Big crowds. Media attention. Place in history. Importance. Power. Ability to pick players at will. Kentucky offers more of all of that than anywhere else.

That's why it takes a certain person to be successful. Pitino had it in spades and swaggy Cal had it. Both were relatively unproven at the highest cbb level. There's undoubtedly someone out there with the grit in the gut. Whether Mitch is willing to find them is another story.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don’t buy that, plenty of coaches want this job.

I'm sure there's some. I'm sure there's many. Who wouldn't want a chance at an 8 figure salary when most coaches out there are barely making a 7 figure one.

It just seems that the really good ones, don't feel the need to come here. They like their situatuon where they are, a less stressful job, even if it's less money, and the most important part: they seem to think they don't need UKs "resources" to win. Arkansas m has NIL money, Miami has NIL money. Plenty of schools have better facilities (apparantly). They seem to think it's not really worth coming here.

I'm sure there's some. I'm sure there's many. Who wouldn't want a chance at an 8 figure salary when most coaches out there are barely making a 7 figure one.

It just seems that the really good ones, don't feel the need to come here. They like their situatuon where they are, a less stressful job, even if it's less money, and the most important part: they seem to think they don't need UKs "resources" to win. Arkansas m has NIL money, Miami has NIL money. Plenty of schools have better facilities (apparantly). They seem to think it's not really worth coming here.
We have only asked 1 so far really. There are plenty of good options out there.

Reactions: Midway Cat
Coaches don't want to come here. They don't see this job the way many of the fans see it. It's too much stress and pressure, and even the lofty salary isn't covering it. We have struggled to hire for over 20 years now.
We have struggled to hire because we seem to think we have to have the hot coach of the moment to continue our success and it's really been that way since Joe B. Hall. Meanwhile UNC and Duke hire former assistants with no head coaching experience and keep on trucking.

Reactions: delk4three
Kentucky just needs to come in with $15 million a year and stop playing games. Make it a crazy number that’s never been seen before at the college level

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
None of our FIVE championship coaches won one before they got to UK. If the new
coach is competent and sober, history says he'll win at least one championship at UK.

Reactions: sambowieshin
We have only asked 1 so far really. There are plenty of good options out there.

It sure seems that we put feelers out and didn't really get anywhere. Jay declined interest, so did Oats as of now. And now Scott Drew. We're starting to dip deeper and deeper into our ranks of possible coaches and I'm afraid we're going to get a pretty disappointing hire.

I keep saying though, I hope I'm wrong. I hope we can convince either Hurley or Oats

It sure seems that we put feelers out and didn't really get anywhere. Jay declined interest, so did Oats as of now. And now Scott Drew. We're starting to dip deeper and deeper into our ranks of possible coaches and I'm afraid we're going to get a pretty disappointing hire.

I keep saying though, I hope I'm wrong. I hope we can convince either Hurley or Oats
I hope not, we just have to see .

I hope not, we just have to see .

But here's the thing...if I am right, then this is now the 4th kind of so-so hire in a row (we only got Cal because he was in deep shit, Tubby is mid-major standards, bcg is a given).. and we need to re-evaluate where Kentucky stands in its desirability.

If we swing and miss again.. we need to figure out why these coaches aren't interested time and time again and make changes. Maybe our facilities DO need an overhaul. Maybe we do need to simply pay a crazy amount, such as 15mil. Maybe we have to work on NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT