ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan’s Press Conference Today…

wfc7

Senior
Mar 24, 2007
Listening to Billy Donovan’s press conference, he certainly sounds like someone who has deeply pondered the UK opportunity for years and would seriously entertain an offer as this may be his last chance to get one.

I only hope Mitch isn’t so focused on Drew that he doesn’t very seriously pursue Donovan first. In fact, because he knows UK and what it takes to succeed here, Donovan is worth the same offer as Hurley: $10m+/yr.

I think if this makes it until Thursday we will find out. The actually geometry around how to manage the portal and recruits might be too much to overcome. The longer we wait, the good guys will be gone.

Reactions: wfc7
The problem is, I want a Billy Donovan that wants the Kentucky job. Not a Billy Donovan that needs a job.
Exactly. Billy Donovan 15 years ago would’ve been awesome.

But a Donovan who’s been out of CBB’s for a decade …has never dealt with NIL or the transfer portal …and who’s already turned us down twice and might only consider us this third time because he’s on the hot seat in Chicago?

I’m not sure how much I want this version of Billy Donovan.

I hope we get Donovan, he's my 1st choice. But I suspect/fear that Mitch is looking for someone who can bring a team with them. Win in a hurry, reinvigorate the fanbase. Hope I'm wrong.
Drew is a OK coach but he won't reinvigorate the fan base.
I'd call Donovan tell him it's yours if you want it and get him to say yes or no. If he says no then my last call is to Bruce Pearl.
We aren't getting Hurley and Drew is the last option for me...not the first.

But a Donovan who’s been out of CBB’s for a decade …has never dealt with NIL or the transfer portal …and who’s already turned us down twice and might only consider us this third time because he’s on the hot seat in Chicago?

If he gets shooters who can press, be worth looking at.

Reactions: wfc7
You guys are hearing what you want to hear, not what Donovan is actually saying. If we haven't found a coach by the time the Bulls season is done, then maybe Donovan enters the mix. Not before then. Too much roster building to do while the NBA is still going. Donovan is not a Petrino, and wouldn't walk out on a team before the end of the season.

I get the concerns. Yet, the man can coach and hasn’t forgotten how to do so with tenacity on both ends of the court. Furthermore, I think it is a gross miscalculation to think he won’t already have inroads and keen insights to how to manage the NIL era of college basketball. In fact, I’d say he is ahead of the game as he has been in the NBA with Chicago for a decade and has dealt with the foreign and college player personalities and transitions to the pros (to include the financial pieces). Add that to the fact that he knows UK and how to win in the ways UK fans like to win, and he is the best hire for the job.

Tired of this same dumb argument. Billy was made for this job, he’s a Pitino guy and knows what it’s like to be at Kentucky. He should b first over Hurley or Drew.

You guys are hearing what you want to hear, not what Donovan is actually saying. If we haven't found a coach by the time the Bulls season is done, then maybe Donovan enters the mix. Not before then. Too much roster building to do while the NBA is still going. Donovan is not a Petrino, and wouldn't walk out on a team before the end of the season.
He definitely wouldn’t leave the Bulls before the end of the season. He’s got character. Yet, he can very easily tell UK “yes” via the back-channel before the Bulls’ season is over. And I think he wants that opportunity. He’s had enough of Chicago.

The problem is, I want a Billy Donovan that wants the Kentucky job. Not a Billy Donovan that needs a job.
I also wonder how he would navigate college now. I have no worries that he will coach the team fine, but how will he recruit these days. How will he deal with NIL? IMO he would need to assemble a staff of top assistants from other schools, maybe even UCONN if we didn’t get Hurley. I’d love to implement what they are running there because they looked amazing on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: Chief Paducah
I definitely agree that he can reach out to UK via his people too. And it seemed to me he was making a very public invitation to that effect in his press conference when he asked if Cal has officially left yet and stated he’d not been contacted personally by UK.

41x244sdEXL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Listening to Billy Donovan’s press conference, he certainly sounds like someone who has deeply pondered the UK opportunity for years and would seriously entertain an offer as this may be his last chance to get one.

I only hope Mitch isn’t so focused on Drew that he doesn’t very seriously pursue Donovan first. In fact, because he knows UK and what it takes to succeed here, Donovan is worth the same offer as Hurley: $10m+/yr.

Just curious why you think this? What did he say exactly?

Reactions: Wildcatjedi

Bingo.

The guy hasn’t even recruited a player in years. Now add on the NIL and portal. These changes are why Jay Wright, Nick Saban, Coach K and others got out of the game. Yes, they were near or at retirement age, but I also don’t think these older coaches are going to adjust as well. It’s a new game.

(No, Billy isn’t old but he’s not been involved in the process. I would still be elated to have him but it worries. There are causes for concern with him just as with Drew).

Hell fire, contact Donovan and get him to say yes or no before any calls are made to Drew. I'd take Bruce Pearl over Drew. I'm telling you the UK job will eat him alive. Yes. He's done a good job at Baylor. He built it from scratch his way but this is a different animal and one he can't survive.
Donovan knows it and understands it...Pearl would thrive in it. He has the charisma and would embrace it. Make the damn calls Mitch. Those are the 2 BEST options.

Bingo.

The guy hasn’t even recruited a player in years. Now add on the NIL and portal. These changes are why Jay Wright, Nick Saban, Coach K and others got out of the game. Yes, they were near or at retirement age, but I also don’t think these older coaches are going to adjust as well. It’s a new game.

(No, Billy isn’t old but he’s not been involved in the process. I would still be elated to have him but it worries. There are causes for concern with him just as with Drew).
None of the coaches you named had an experience or success in the NBA. B Donovan has been working with and managing players and teams whose avg age is often younger than college teams these days. I think he would have no problem dealing with NIL and the kind of recruiting that goes with it. In fact, I’d suggest he’d excel at it and be well ahead of almost every college coach currently adjusting to it.

He definitely wouldn’t leave the Bulls before the end of the season. He’s got character. Yet, he can very easily tell UK “yes” via the back-channel before the Bulls’ season is over. And I think he wants that opportunity. He’s had enough of Chicago.
He can tell uk via front channel as well. If he wants to see the bulls through the season, our desire to hire him should be higher. Character cannot be bought.

Reactions: Girthang and wfc7
I also wonder how he would navigate college now. I have no worries that he will coach the team fine, but how will he recruit these days. How will he deal with NIL? IMO he would need to assemble a staff of top assistants from other schools, maybe even UCONN if we didn’t get Hurley. I’d love to implement what they are running there because they looked amazing on both sides of the ball.
My guess is if Donovan wants the job, I’m sure he has college connections. As a NBA Coach he probably talks with College Coaches about players. And he likely knows former NBA players that are coaching in the college ranks.

What if he were to reach out to Travis Ford or Ullis to be assistants? Could they not help navigate the portal and NIL? I’m not advocating for those two. Just saying there are guys that can be assistant coaches to help with the stuff Donovan is new to.

My guess is if Donovan wants the job, I’m sure he has college connections. As a NBA Coach he probably talks with College Coaches about players. And he likely knows former NBA players that are coaching in the college ranks.

What if he were to reach out to Travis Ford or Ullis to be assistants? Could they not help navigate the portal and NIL? There has to be others.
Ugh not Travis Ford and Ulis isn’t at the stage of his career to be a top assistant to navigate recruiting and stuff like that.

Reactions: bigbluedon

What more do you want:

Chicago Bulls coach Billy Donovan said he has not had any contact with the University of Kentucky about its men's basketball coaching vacancy and reiterated his commitment to the Bulls prior to the team's game Tuesday night against the New York Knicks.

"I have not been contacted by anybody, I haven't spoken to anybody," Donovan told reporters, adding that his answer would remain the same even if he was contacted. "My total commitment and focus is here to this team and to this group."

Reactions: d2atTech
So glad you posted this. Wow. I’m trying to stay rational but that was five minutes of a guy sounding like he was dancing around a topic.

After watching that video, I’m drinking the Kool-Aid! Welcome home Billy the Kid!
Yep. IMO, B Donovan sounds like a coach who wants to say in public what I hope his representatives are telling Barnhart and some boosters (who can reign Barnhart in) in private: “I’m by far the best choice for UK. Quit wasting time pursuing one coach who won’t be able to handle the UK limelight and pressure (Drew) and another who is me fifteen years ago and will leave UK in a few years for the Knicks (Hurley).”

None of the coaches you named had an experience or success in the NBA. B Donovan has been working with and managing players and teams whose avg age is often younger than college teams these days. I think he would have no problem dealing with NIL and the kind of recruiting that goes with it. In fact, I’d suggest he’d excel at it and be well ahead of almost every college coach currently adjusting to it.
This is the way I see it. Recruiting in the NIL era is just budgeting your roster versus your salary cap. Only there is no cap, so if you can get access to more money than most you have an advantage. Find the players you want, for the price you want to pay, to build the team you want. That is college recruiting now.

Yep. IMO, B Donovan sounds like a coach who wants to say in public what I hope his representatives are telling Barnhart and some boosters (who can reign Barnhart in) in private: “I’m by far the best choice for UK. Quit wasting time pursuing one coach who won’t be able to handle the UK limelight and pressure (Drew) and another who is me fifteen years ago and will leave UK in a few years for the Knicks (Hurley).”
I mean I don’t usually buy into the hype but that video was interesting to say the least. Sounded like an audition tape to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT