ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan’s Press Conference Today…

I have no clue if Donovan has been contacted or if Mitch is even going to but that press conference was a thing of beauty watching him dance around those questions. I am no body language expert nor do I typically like reading between the lines(just ask my wife) but he was uncomfortable with those questions for one reason or another. Either he’s been contacted and is trying not to lie about it or expects to be.
More likely, his agent was contacted through back channels. And he wasn’t sure if he should say he wasn’t contacted when indirectly he was, or just say yes, they talk to my people, but I haven’t talked to them. We’ve all seen too many times in the college ranks where coaches swear they’re staying at a place and they haven’t been contacted and then the next day they sign a contract with a different school.

No source But a very wealthy friend of mine who gives a lot of money to UK believes it too. He’s not privy to that kind of thing but he knows his way around. We both believe it I mean it’s kind of directly in our faces.

My issue is, if we want Billy to move now, he has a tendency of getting cold feet. I could see him saying he’s just gonna hang in the NBA because of the situation. The guy sent a signal to UK there’s no doubt. 6 million with the Bulls and about to be unemployed, 10/11million and a brand new job? And he’d be the talk of the basketball world
Didn’t people track a plane from Florida to Lexington and wasn’t BD seen looking at horse farms in Lexington only to find out that he got back on the plane and went back home to Florida? That’s pretty cold feet.

I’m only joking. But I will be watching the door.

Just a few random thoughts on why Donovan might be interested now but wasn't 15 and 17 years ago:

1. He won't be having to replace a friend from the same coaching tree (Tubby) this time around.

2. He's had plenty of time to pursue the NBA dream and check that box in his career.

3. Rather than being a deterrent, the portal and NIL may make the Kentucky basketball job even more attractive to someone like Donovan who knows the lengths UK's supporters will go to to field a winning team. He knows he would have the resources here to compete with anyone.

The timing and situation may not have been right for him in 2007 or 2009. But perhaps now it is? One thing is for sure, Billy Donovan said a helluva lot more than he had to when asked that question by the media. It was almost like he was glowing when discussing the program's history and traditions. Based on that press conference, I now think he's much more interested in this job than I did 24 hours ago.

Yep. I’d say it’s actually Barnhart vs

Good points.

As I’ve already noted, I actually think Donovan’s NBA experience managing younger rosters, drafts, and salaries / personalities makes him better equipped than Hurley per NIL / transfers. And Hurley’s championship success has caught fire after some lean starting years. That’s a push with Donovan esp as he’s coaching NBA players who play a lot like the college game is played now, but he likes defense as much as Hurley and a heck of a lot more than most NBA players do. And having been at UK and getting the culture isn’t something a person knows they can handle until they are here. I think Hurley would be okay. I KNOW Donovan would be. Drew would have some challenges.

So, I prefer Donovan over Hurley, yet both are what UK needs. Drew is good, but I see him as a Barnhart safe hire that isn’t on the same tier as Donovan and Hurley.
I think we're on the same page, we just disagree on the order, and that's ok. But Mitch definitely needs to do what's right for the University instead of hiring his friend straight away.

Reactions: wfc7
I think we're on the same page, we just disagree on the order, and that's ok. But Mitch definitely needs to do what's right for the University instead of hiring his friend straight away.
Yes, sir, especially per Mitch.

Reactions: JB_Cat
Coach Donavan would be the best hire for the wildcats right now. He sounded interested if an offer would be made .

As far concerns, let’s see:
  1. He lasted in nba longer than Pitino and Cal.
  2. NIL? NBA team have far more complicated budgets;
  3. Transfer portal? NBA recruiting from draft and trades are far more complicated;
  4. Ability to deal with expectations? He started his coaching career at UK and do you think that Chicago fans don’t have expectations?
  5. Recruiting? He will kill it and actual will recruit to have the right pieces to have a great team instead only one and done ..
  6. Why chose college vs nba? He in his 60s , 40 games vs 80 plus , closer to family , coming back home and having one last gig before retirement.

Again, as others have said, with NIL, transfers, and the allure of Donovan and UK to recruits, UK could very easily be in the Final Four mix this coming year. There’s no evidence to show Drew can do that faster with a freshman class and NIL. He’s certainly not done it before. I’ll have Donovan’s UK, Florida, and NBA experience over Drew’s single national title pre-NIL every day of the week and twice on Sundays. And that’s not a knock on Drew. He’s just not in the same class as Donovan.
No, he still won't be able to assemble a final four team next year. He'll be in scramble mode trying to get whoever's left. Drew maybe the best option for being a contender immediately.

So you don't have anything either. Thanks ignorant troll. You may go back to sniffing your own farts now
Yes, he does. He said the two times were the searches “after Tubby and after BCG.” That is the correct answer.

So why are you calling him an "ignorant troll" for correctly answering your own question?

You wait for the best coach that wants the job. He would build it right and in the long run it would pay off. Wanting to hurry and get someone so they can build a roster for this year makes no sense when you look at the overall picture.

Drew is a OK coach but he won't reinvigorate the fan base.
I'd call Donovan tell him it's yours if you want it and get him to say yes or no. If he says no then my last call is to Bruce Pearl.
We aren't getting Hurley and Drew is the last option for me...not the first.
The fan base doesn't need : reinvigorating, it needs somebody to win basketball games. If Drew wins games the fan base will be just fine. Billy D hasn't been a college coach in YEARS.,like Pitino that ship has sailed IMO.

Reactions: KFuqua
Coach Donavan would be the best hire for the wildcats right now. He sounded interested if an offer would be made .

As far concerns, let’s see:
  1. He lasted in nba longer than Pitino and Cal.
  2. NIL? NBA team have far more complicated budgets;
  3. Transfer portal? NBA recruiting from draft and trades are far more complicated;
  4. Ability to deal with expectations? He started his coaching career at UK and do you think that Chicago fans don’t have expectations?
  5. Recruiting? He will kill it and actual will recruit to have the right pieces to have a great team instead only one and done ..
  6. Why chose college vs nba? He in his 60s , 40 games vs 80 plus , closer to family , coming back home and having one last gig before retirement.
Also, id be happy with Hurley do not get me wrong but is his personality right for here? Maybe it would be like a kid in a candy store or maybe it just flat out would not mesh with us here. I know, win and nothing else matters but im just not convinced of an exact fit at UK.
And Drew wont unite the fan base as much as Billy D finally coming back home. But id be happy with him as well.

If you can get Donovan you check every box minus a roster but with the portal you can field a great team with a few leftovers. I really hope its finally Donovan and he would stay 10 years and ride off into the sunset with more title and money than he could have ever dreamed of.

Last edited:
The fan base doesn't need : reinvigorating, it needs somebody to win basketball games. If Drew wins games the fan base will be just fine. Billy D hasn't been a college coach in YEARS.,like Pitino that ship has sailed IMO.
You think coaching in the nba hasn’t helped him become a better coach? Lol 😂

Reactions: kywildcat41086
My guess is if Donovan wants the job, I’m sure he has college connections. As a NBA Coach he probably talks with College Coaches about players. And he likely knows former NBA players that are coaching in the college ranks.

What if he were to reach out to Travis Ford or Ullis to be assistants? Could they not help navigate the portal and NIL? I’m not advocating for those two. Just saying there are guys that can be assistant coaches to help with the stuff Donovan is new to.
LOL Travis Ford is hated by more people than Cal.

Well, I think Billy Donovan is going to be the next coach at Kentucky. Firmly believe it unless something else comes up.

I’m in a state of shock.

No more grief.

Edit: I’m limited here. I don’t troll I believe Donovan is the guy. Not an insider in that way not privy to what’s going on. But I believe what I heard this morning. My hopes are up you don’t have to. Maybe I shouldn’t believe it but I am.

Edit: it’s just a friend of mine who is a decently sized donor thinks it’s going to be Donovan. While he’s not big enough to be privy to anything going on inside, he told he’s heard enough to think it’s Donovan. And he has told me things in the past that turned out. Maybe I worded it wrong, I’m not trying to troll, maybe my confirmation bias is kicking in. But he’s told me things before that happened. And I know he’s hearing it I know that much. I changed it to I think because I don’t want to give the wrong impression. But there are people that believe it’s Donovan at least holding this up. But I knew that was happening last night it is too obvious.

Last edited:
Well, Billy Donovan is going to be the next coach at Kentucky. Firmly believe it unless something else comes up.

I’m in a state of shock.

No more grief.

Edit: I’m limited here. I don’t troll I believe Donovan is the guy. Not an insider in that way not privy to what’s going on. But I believe what I heard this morning. My hopes are up you don’t have to. Maybe I shouldn’t believe it but I am.
What did you hear this morning?

Well, I think Billy Donovan is going to be the next coach at Kentucky. Firmly believe it unless something else comes up.

I’m in a state of shock.

No more grief.

Edit: it’s just a friend of mine who is a decently sized donor thinks it’s going to be Donovan. While he’s not big enough to be privy to anything going on inside, he told he’s heard enough to think it’s Donovan. And he has told me things in the past that turned out. Maybe I worded it wrong, I’m not trying to troll, maybe my confirmation bias is kicking in. But he’s told me things before that happened. And I know he’s hearing it I know that much. I changed it to I think because I don’t want to give the wrong impression. But there are people that believe it’s Donovan at least holding this up. But I knew that was happening last night it is too obvious.
I sure hope so... what great news!

And you have no idea what Mitch is doing. None of us do because he hasn’t told anyone. So many on here just run with whatever is posted no matter who says it. Everything on here so far is opinions and rampant speculation. Mitch got rid of Cal’s ass like we wanted , now let him do his job of getting the right coach in here. It will be fine.

The college game today is more of a minor league for the NBA anyway. Donovan would have absolutely no problem adapting to today's college game. NIL is just another form of free agency and the portal backs this up so finding players is easy. Donovan is a perfect fit. Drew is a good coach but he won't be able to handle this job. He's done a great job at Baylor for 20 years but Baylor isn't UK. I'm jot knocking him, he would be my last option...not my first

Here’s what Billy D said yesterday (4/9/24). I hope he’s a priority to call.

Last edited:

I’m in a state of shock.

No more grief.

What is your friend thinking now? Lol

He was our first choice in both the 07 and 09 searches. He rejected us both times. You must not have been following UK at all back then if you’re unaware of this.

He was mentioned as such, yeah. That's different than him being offered the job. You and everyone can post your opinion about it all you want, in every form your little heart desires.

No one has ever provided any audio or video saying he was OFFERED the job and turned it down. He removed his name from consideration like Oats and Wright did by saying they weren't interested or weren't leaving their current job.

I was following it. I'm not the only one. Im noy the first one to ask for it. I think it is funny. Noone ever posted a link to it for the group I talk to when they asked back in the day. We watched all of the press conferences.

Maybe it's just a Billy Donovan thing never directly answering certain questions

Brad Stevens did the same thing to IU, spoke about loving the history and state and all that and then he leveraged it into a front office job and a raise and then suddenly he loves Dunkin and parking his car at Harvard yard at the next presser.

Enjoy Drew.

Reactions: d2atTech
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT