ADVERTISEMENT

Does UK have the worst SEC home atmosphere?

Louis_Skunt

Senior
Oct 4, 2013
If so, why??
I haven't been to all SEC fields yet, just Ole Miss, UGA, USC, and UT's.....and we're nowhere near the crazed atmosphere of these venues. Nowhere even close.
Vanderbilts looks pretty lame, similar to ours. Maybe Missouri too?

I remember an opposing coach, which the media claimed as anonymous, said it was the least intimidating.

Is UK the least loud and exciting and what are your experiences at away games?

If so, why??
I haven't been to all SEC fields yet, just Ole Miss, UGA, USC, and UT's.....and we're nowhere near the crazed atmosphere of these venues. Nowhere even close.

I remember an opposing coach, which the media claimed as anonymous, said it was the least intimidating.

Depends on the opponent for sure ! I’ve seen commonwealth/ Kroger field absolutely rocking and I’ve seen it ho hum ! I’ll never forget the crowd when Andre Woodson and company upset # 1 LSU . I left the stadium with a horse voice from screaming when we were on defense. Last year Miss.St. Had hard time getting plays off because it was so loud. They clearly wasn’t prepared for that. I believe but not sure but Vandy and Missouri are the last remaining fields that have open end zones. Vandy I believe is changing this year.

It definitely comes across as lame especially on TV. Whoever the announcer is should immediately be replace or fired. Eveytime we score or make a good play he says this awfully long twangy sounding voice of his a belt out Keeeeeeeentuckyyyy. His voice irritates the hell out of me for some reason. We also need new fresh music or DJ way too much country music being played for my taste. Plus fans have to show up and show out. But I agree we need some type of revamping for sure.

Well, this is obviously subjective, as my time in Oxford (in a win for Ole Miss) left me entirely unimpressed.

I’ll give you UGA and UT, but I’ve been to USCe and other than their 15 minute choreographed opening, would be close to a draw in my opinion for noise on the field, during play.

We got something very right with the last “expansion.” The press boxes (and luxury boxes) on the South side of the stadium lean sharply forward with a concave curvature, focusing all of the smaller, upper-deck noise directly back to the field.

I was at the Bama upset in 1998, the wins over Louisville and LSU in 2008, USCe in 2010 and 2014, and none of those games came close to the noise levels we achieved in big games in 2021, with the new configuration and a full house.

Again, the topic is very subjective, and given our typical position in the SEC, we tend to sell ourselves a bit short on the subject.

So, is there an objective measure?

Go back to YouTube videos of the Mizzou, UF and LSU wins in 2021.

The lead announcer had difficulties speaking with the sideline reporter, and at one point asked his partner if it was the loudest crowd he’d ever heard. There was no response; apparently he did not hear the question.

And as to effecting a team, I have never (on TV or in person) seen a team more effected by crowd noise than Florida in 2021; they had 8 false starts, the announcers crediting the crowd noise for them all.

I’d put us in the top 4 or 5 in the conference. We are obviously below A & M, UT, Georgia and Bama because of size issues. As to the rest, I just haven’t been that blown away.

I have been to all except A & M and Auburn and UF.

Mizzou, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss State we’re all pretty quiet, sort of baseball type crowds.

Arky had impressive hog calling, but no where near the noise of Kroger during play.

LSU and Georgia blew me away, but did not seem to effect play on the field.

For a well choreographed pregame, no one (maybe A & M) can beat USCe and LSU.

Much better than it was 20-25 years ago, several times in those days I was asked to sit down; there wasn’t a lot to cheer about in those days but it started getting better with Brooks. I’ve only been to a handful of games in the last five years but we’ve collectively learned how to be football fans.

If so, why??

UK fans are no different than fans elsewhere. We can be as loud as any fan base that has a 61,000 seat stadium. This is just your way of digging at UK Football like you’ve done in the past.

OP is trying to bait. Don’t take it.

When it's a big game and UK is competitive, it's as loud and intimidating as any comparable sized stadium could possibly be. Which is true for just about every fan base in the country.

If so, why??

It was Ball St. We won by 30. What do you want? Jumping jacks?

1. Candy and mizzou are in their own world in terms of basemen level atmosphere

2. LSU , Florida in 2021….tell me Ky didn’t have electricity

3. Sheer size of Bama Tennessee LSU Texas Am etc…are for sure elite

But Ky has nothing to look down upon

You know you are good when all people can complain about is the crowd!

Lol 5-0 headed to Athens is all you need to worry about Skunt.

Oh and worry about the Reds getting in the playoffs with a heathy team in October!

Worst? No. Most bland? Yes. Other than the call to the post, nothing interesting and even that presentation is meh.

Even grove street is weird because other sec venues play that song too (assume it's licensed to some organization allowing many schools to use it) without the bizarre affection for such an old song from an irrelevant artist.

We have way too much going on pregame. Update the music. Shorten the pregame routine and find one thing that really connects with people. I like the attempt to incorporate horse racing but the execution is bland and it probably only resonates with visiting fans as something cool

Not enough people or interest in football with enough disposable resources in KY, to create the atmosphere of the aforementioned.
I think there's plenty of interest. We will see once the SEC home games start and we have hard sellouts. I've been in the stadium when the atmosphere was electric and would challenge anyone. I've also been in there when it's been a bunch of folks sitting on their hands. Pre-game is just OK and could use some work. I wish more investment would go into the marching band to make them bigger and better, they are a big part of the gameday experience at a lot of schools. I've liked them trying to use the alternating Blue/White cheer on second downs. should do that more and see if we can sustain it for an entire defensive series. Outside of that I don't know what else can be done. What are people wanting to see? Everybody doesn't have the same taste in music, so that selection is always going to have it's complainers. So what else can be done?

Other than vandy, probably. UK has only been semi relevant for the last 6-7 years consistently. Fans really don't know how to act.

The closeness of the seats to the field is a noise enhancer at Kroger despite its smaller capacity. Like to no room for moving cameraman. Those fields with hedges or a track between the stands and field dissipate the noise. MO is worst for that.

Last edited:
I have been to all the SEC stadiums plus several at UC, UL, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio State, one at UNC, Texas and Notre Dame, plus the Army-Navy game at the Meadowlands.

As The Hack said, the new stadium configuration, although now smaller, is noticeably louder. Think UK is loud as hell when full and watching a great game, e.g., Florida two years ago (even I was jumpy and ready to get out of the stadium it was so loud and intense), S Car when Dupree won it on a pick six.

But there is no substitute for sheer numbers, OSU and UT are ear splitting due to the oval structure and 100,000 plus in attendance. Also depends on where you sit, saw Texas play Okie State one year when the Pokes were top 5, and although was more than 90,000 there, it did not seem all that loud to me, but we sat in the upper deck, so probably is a lot different ten rows from the field.

Went to Missouri last year and the stadium was nearly full, but not loud or intimidating at all, probably because the seats are pretty far from the field plus a large open end which allows the noise to escape.

PS: I do like the Call to the Post as a unique Kentucky tradition. OTOH, they can sh$t can "Blue Moon of Kentucky" in the pregame, can't imagine an old old folk song from Bill Monroe is going to fire up the student section . . . . or anyone else in the stadium either.

Last edited:
Well, this is obviously subjective, as my time in Oxford (in a win for Ole Miss) left me entirely unimpressed.

I’ll give you UGA and UT, but I’ve been to USCe and other than their 15 minute choreographed opening, would be close to a draw in my opinion for noise on the field, during play.

We got something very right with the last “expansion.” The press boxes (and luxury boxes) on the South side of the stadium lean sharply forward with a concave curvature, focusing all of the smaller, upper-deck noise directly back to the field.

I was at the Bama upset in 1998, the wins over Louisville and LSU in 2008, USCe in 2010 and 2014, and none of those games came close to the noise levels we achieved in big games in 2021, with the new configuration and a full house.

Again, the topic is very subjective, and given our typical position in the SEC, we tend to sell ourselves a bit short on the subject.

The lead announcer had difficulties speaking with the sideline reporter, and at one point asked his partner if it was the loudest crowd he’d ever heard. There was no response; apparently he did not hear the question.

And as to effecting a team, I have never (on TV or in person) seen a team more effected by crowd noise than Florida in 2021; they had 8 false starts, the announcers crediting the crowd noise for them all.

I’d put us in the top 4 or 5 in the conference. We are obviously below A & M, UT, Georgia and Bama because of size issues. As to the rest, I just haven’t been that blown away.

Mizzou, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss State we’re all pretty quiet, sort of baseball type crowds.

Arky had impressive hog calling, but no where near the noise of Kroger during play.

I go to the Florida game every year it is in the Swamp. It is really loud and also they provide virtually no security. They sell out 20k student season tickets every year and that doesn't count the thousands that seem to sneak in. Plus, they don't check your tickets when you walk to your seats. I generally get 4-5 seats at midfield behind UK's bench and before kickoff the isle stairs are filled with students to the point that it is very difficult to get up to the concourse. I got in a fight last year with two students who stole our seats when we went to the restroom. They refused to move when we got back and one of them knocked my 81 year old father to the ground. I've written their AD and police dept and have never received a response. Winning makes the danger seem worth it, but it is definitely not for everyone.

Relative to the big 90,000+ stadiums/football meccas...yeah, the 60,000 and now 55,000 CWS/Kroger Field isn't all that intimidating.

Your capacity affects how many students you can let it in for student prices. When you have 90,000+ seats...you can let in 15-20,000. When you only have 50,000 you can only afford to give away so many student seats.

The university and athletic department probably should consider expanding student allotment due to the ever-growing student body, however that would mean they have to at least move season ticket holders if not cut some out totally (again, only 50,000 seats) so that would get dicey, and I just don't think anyone in the UK brass wants to fight that battle. Kind of like nobody wants to move the newspaper readers and sweater knitters out of the good Rupp seats to make room for students.

Seems like we get a lot of noon games in the hot sun. Noon games always feel dead. The later games we get are mostly against mid majors or lesser SEC teams (those SEC Network games). The times we get a good opponent at night, it's about as good as most any other place.

We also don't have many good game day traditions. While it's improving, it still doesn't match all of the top schools. Plus our crowds seem slow to fill up and quick to empty out. I think we also have a lot of bandwagon fans. I've never understood buying season tickets and then skipping 3 or 4 games against lesser opponents.

Same problem as Rupp...too many season ticket holders that want to sit and crochet or be there to just gossip like Sunday morning church. We need at least 2500-3000 seat student section on the sideline like A&M or one full endzone like South Carolina

No way. Have you attended a game in Columbia recently? I went 2 years ago and that was one of the loudest places ive heard. Louder than Lexington at its greatest. Theres zero comparison.

No way. Have you attended a game in Columbia recently? I went 2 years ago and that was one of the loudest places ive heard. Louder than Lexington at its greatest. Theres zero comparison.
I have attended many football games in both Columbias (SC and MO) and in Lexington. Hack is right. This issue is subjective, and also depends on how large your sample size is and where you sit in the stadium. I agree with Hack, and I think you are attaching a whole lot of significance to a game in which UK was not challenged by an out of conference opponent.

THIS!!!!

You know you are good when all people can complain about is the crowd!

Lol 5-0 headed to Athens is all you need to worry about Skunt.

Oh and worry about the Reds getting in the playoffs with a heathy team in October!
You lost me when you mentioned UK being good on a football forum.

5-0? Are you new to UK football?

Who gives a chit about the Reds? Most boring thing to watch on TV.

I have attended many football games in both Columbias (SC and MO) and in Lexington. Hack is right. This issue is subjective, and also depends on how large your sample size is and where you sit in the stadium. I agree with Hack, and I think you are attaching a whole lot of significance to a game in which UK was not challenged by an out of conference opponent.
I disagree. Unless ive just been going to terrible games in Lexington, i cant see any comparison. One thing you never see on TV from Lex, people jumping around and madness. When the TV pans to the crowd after a TD, at the crowds peak, people are standing and clapping. The intros are also terrible.

Same problem as Rupp...too many season ticket holders that want to sit and crochet or be there to just gossip like Sunday morning church. We need at least 2500-3000 seat student section on the sideline like A&M or one full endzone like South Carolina
Expectations are different. When UK is playing Ole Miss at Rupp, the crowd believes we should be up 20 at half, so theres only doom and gloom if anything else.

But when UNC, Kansas, UL, are in town....that place is the loudest in the country.

Seems like we get a lot of noon games in the hot sun. Noon games always feel dead. The later games we get are mostly against mid majors or lesser SEC teams (those SEC Network games). The times we get a good opponent at night, it's about as good as most any other place.

We also don't have many good game day traditions. While it's improving, it still doesn't match all of the top schools. Plus our crowds seem slow to fill up and quick to empty out. I think we also have a lot of bandwagon fans. I've never understood buying season tickets and then skipping 3 or 4 games against lesser opponents.

UK isn't the only place that has late arrivals and early departures. Students are the worst, especially for noon games.

No way. Have you attended a game in Columbia recently? I went 2 years ago and that was one of the loudest places ive heard. Louder than Lexington at its greatest.
I’ve done in Columbia, SC three times, beginning in 2015. Again, I disagree on total noise, but will give you total atmosphere. I think USCe has the best pregame I have seen.

Last edited:
You lost me when you mentioned UK being good on a football forum.

5-0? Are you new to UK football?

Who gives a chit about the Reds? Most boring thing to watch on TV.
Woooow Nellie!!!

You didn’t have to get scratched very hard to show your true colors.

“5-0? Are you new to UK football?”

Hmmmm.

Louise, since the 1992 SEC divisions were created, two undefeated. 6-0 (or greater) SEC East teams have met only once in a football game.

And you don’t have to be very old to remember it, as it occurred two years ago, but did not involve Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vandy or Mizzou.

“You lost me when you mentioned UK being good on a football forum.”

Louise, that reveals you are either a Card fan in disguise , or far more likely a UK basketball fan.

Whichever, denigrating UK Football Will neither clean up the cesspool on Floyd Street or make us forget the trainwreck that is UK basketball.

My only problem with crowd noise at UK is at Rupp Arena: we don’t Boo Calimari loudly enough!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT