ADVERTISEMENT

Does UK have the worst SEC home atmosphere?

Watching the Gators false start numerous times a couple of years ago was a joy. Seeing a ranked MSU struggle and UL collapse while Bowden ran all over their defense and the fans going crazy was fun, even though UL was being beaten like an old dingy rug. The place gets raucous for a big time opponent and when UK thumps the Cards (fairly regular of late). The Bama game Hack mentioned left my ears ringing and my head aching. That was fun, even if Bama was not Bama.

I’d have beat dude to a pulp. Don’t care where it was at.
It was hard to maneuver it was so crowded. Tough to throw a punch without hitting innocent bystanders. I choked one of the guys out and both wound up getting removed by the police. Interestingly, the UF fans who were families and actually had seats in our section backed me up, so I didn't get in trouble, though the stairs were filled in again by students a few minutes after the cops left.

It was hard to maneuver it was so crowded. Tough to throw a punch without hitting innocent bystanders. I choked one of the guys out and both wound up getting removed by the police. Interestingly, the UF fans who were families and actually had seats in our section backed me up, so I didn't get in trouble, though the stairs were filled in again by students a few minutes after the cops left.
I’ll never understand fighting by fans at a football game. Especially NFL.

Reactions: satcheluk
I’ll never understand fighting by fans at a football game. Especially NFL.
It's almost always alcohol. It's not a family atmosphere at NFL games. I quit taking my young son to Bucs games until he become a teenager last year. The UF experience is different. It wasn't alcohol, it was the lack of security and allowing people without tickets to invade the expensive seats behind the UK bench. I would estimate there were 1000+ people standing on the stairs from the front row at the field to the top of the first landing. It was effing insane and as soon as anyone left a seat, the students on the stairs would envelope that area and it so happened we had aisle seats which meant we had to physically remove the people in our seats. When my dad tried to nudge the guy back into the stairway, he shoved my dad to the ground. At that point I went berserker and gave the guy a fully wrapped rear naked choke. It was really hot and humid, so didn't take long for him to go to sleep. I was prepared to at least get detained, but I was fortunate enough Gator adults had my back that the cop let me go.

Reactions: SosaUK1987
I suspect a big part is we are an historic BB school and new to being positive in the W/L column in FB.
  • As a result, we may lack more energetic traditions or a kick off production (a la USCe, Va Tech, LSU).
Bottom line: Aside from my childhood in Fayette county, I have lived in a 10 (plus) states including Power-Five locations Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, California, and Ohio.
  • In all that time....I have NEVER heard anyone say "Kentucky is a tough place to win a FB game"
Plenty of room for improvement along with the W/L column.

GBB!
I think a lot of that had to do with the quality of the team, not the fans in the stadium.

Reactions: grevey35

This is not the song to hype the crowd.
It's pretty embarrassing how pitifully lame UK's entrance is. It's like Mitch Barnhart is in charge of it or something. "We don't want it to be too loud...the boosters might have to cover their ears." Or, "Alright, that's too much excitement and fun. That's not what UK is about.". Ugh. LOL!

It's pretty embarrassing how pitifully lame UK's entrance is. It's like Mitch Barnhart is in charge of it or something. "We don't want it to be too loud...the boosters might have to cover their ears." Or, "Alright, that's too much excitement and fun. That's not what UK is about.". Ugh. LOL!
Part of the issue regarding really loud noise, is that the neighborhoods surrounding the stadium (talking about behind the Arboretum) complained about the fireworks noise so we shut off actual fireworks.

Candy hands down. UK funny crowd...can be absolutely crazy loud then the next moment everyone sitting on hands... I've noticed the crowds at Rupp same way.

Reactions: grevey35
It was in an article last season or the year before.

As for seasons, how about 3-4 years ago when UK was really good and we played UGA in Lex and nearly half the crowd was red? You would never see that anywhere but Vandy.
As passionate as our fan base is, when it comes to football, we're bottom of the barrel.
OK let’s flip it around. Would you say that Rupp is probably one of the lamest experiences for an arena that size. Be honest.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
We definitely have the worst stadium name in the SEC. Only school that has a boring sponsored stadium name

OK let’s flip it around. Would you say that Rupp is probably one of the lamest experiences for an arena that size. Be honest.
No, Rupp on a big game is possibly top 5 in the country. Only arena ive heard louder was IU, but i haven't been to a lot.

Loudest venue A&M,
Best atmosphere LSU
Louder than us UT Bama,Fla,UGA.
I would rank us about 7th in SEC
USC and Ole Miss are louder, ive been and theres no question. Its not even close. Ive never been but i guarantee Auburn and Texas A&M are louder too.
I would guess us at 2nd to last.

Looks like the consensus is Kroger field is a great atmosphere when it is a big time game, When it is not it sucks. That's probably spot in and Rupp is the same way

Not sure you go to football games. There is no country music ever played at football games. Maybe 10 years ago.
the excessive number of long timeouts destroying momentum and the music has caused us to opt out. But I am glad there are enough younger people to take up the slack.

the Geniuses who are called AD ‘s have destroyed the game by giving less product and more commercials. My type A personality just will not allow me to enjoy such nonsense .

However they have created a wonderful day of football for the tv fans which I now am . Great to to see the best teams play all day and flip channels during commercials.

we are invited to two tailgates for SEC games . Rather than buy tickets we’re going to the tailgate . Recoding the game . Leaving a half hour before game time
driving an hour and twenty minutes home . Fast forwarding through commercials and seeing the entire second half live changing channels
to other games .
and we are folks who tailgated for 41 years . take that greedy ADs

Mmmm.

Doubling Down on the Debbie Downer Desease, leading to Continued Crow Consumption?

Maybe a “reverse the curse” strategy . . . .?

I want more grovel!!

To be continued BETWEEN THE HEDGES!!
No shame in losing to #1 on the road but Kentucky is a very capable team. I'm not sure anyone beats Georgia this year but if the Cats compete hard all evening and a break or two goes our way then UK is pretty dangerous.

'it's better at night and depends on the opponent. Ole Miss Mizzou, UK, and Vandy are the most ho-hum, I'd tie UK with Ole Miss.

Ive been to Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Vandy, Indiana, Pitt, and Virginia Tech, and out of those experiences Ben Hill Griffin Stadium was far and away the loudest.

Loudest I have ever heard Commonwealth was Woodson to Johnson in ‘07.

Most of the media (TV Folk calling UK Games) from ESPN / SEC Network say we are the most underrated stadiums and crowds. I would say we are right dead center of the pack. We beat out places like Miss State mainly due to Lexington / Keeneland but our crowds are great, the layout for a game is very good. We are not Rocky Top, Death Valley, 12th Man but we are right there will Ole Miss / Arkansas and above Miss St / Vandy / Mizzou.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Very good crowd for the noon kick but the UK fanbase and school interaction is still weird. The really really outdated grove street. Then blue/white seems to be what really gets people loud, for whatever reason.

Where is the student section at Commonwealth? It is one of the most invisible student sections in the SEC. CBS does a great job at showcasing the student sections at UGA, Auburn, and UT. The students there occupy entire sections of the sideline lower level and they stand up and get rowdy. They vigorously wave their school pom poms. Visually, at least on TV, it is impressive. Are all of the students at Commonwealth shoved somewhere out of sight?

Reactions: westerncat
Most of the media (TV Folk calling UK Games) from ESPN / SEC Network say we are the most underrated stadiums and crowds. I would say we are right dead center of the pack. We beat out places like Miss State mainly due to Lexington / Keeneland but our crowds are great, the layout for a game is very good. We are not Rocky Top, Death Valley, 12th Man but we are right there will Ole Miss / Arkansas and above Miss St / Vandy / Mizzou.
I think we are above missouri, VANDY, and ole miss probably pretty similar but I think we still beat them... i think they get people there but its not a loud type of crowd if they win its an excuse to celebrate but my visits there it's like the game is secondary to the social event aspect of it. I would take a miss state in game crowd over ours .

Last edited:
The construction near the stadium screwed it up, more than the stadium itself. Over the years they've used more and more land that was once stadium parking for other things.
And more is on the way. Apparently there’s plans to build something that will take a chunk of the Orange lot.

• Sad
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
My son was with me yesterday. He was in the Marching Band 3 of the last 4 years. He’s been to a number of away games with the band. He said his main gripe is that the band doesn’t interact much with the fans, that a lot of the schools have traditions and such where the band and fans play off each other. Special cheers and songs and such that we don’t really have.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Very good crowd for the noon kick but the UK fanbase and school interaction is still weird. The really really outdated grove street. Then blue/white seems to be what really gets people loud, for whatever reason.
Grove Street may be outdated, but it’s a great song for how it is used.

Where is the student section at Commonwealth? It is one of the most invisible student sections in the SEC. CBS does a great job at showcasing the student sections at UGA, Auburn, and UT. The students there occupy entire sections of the sideline lower level and they stand up and get rowdy. They vigorously wave their school pom poms. Visually, at least on TV, it is impressive. Are all of the students at Commonwealth shoved somewhere out of sight?

Did you not notice the large group of people waving rally towels behind the end zone all game yesterday?

• Haha
We aren’t going to compete against the bigger venues like UT, Bama, A&M, LSU, Florida, Georgia and Auburn. There’s an additional 30K-40K+ souls in the stadium at their games.

Take those away, we are in the ball park capacity wise with USC, Mizzou, Miss State, Ole Miss, and Arkansas.

You could probably make a case for each of those stadiums being in any order, and I have never been to any of those places personally, but I would say Mizzou is probably towards the bottom. One end zone side being all grass hurts them. USC has a really nice modern stadium with an 80K capacity - they are probably towards the top of that next group.

Vandy of course is in a league of its own at the bottom.

If the 85K+ stadiums are Tier 1, and Vandy is Tier 3, I’d put us squarely in the middle of Tier 2.

The media consistently makes remarks on how loud we get for SEC home games, and I think Florida will confirm that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT