ADVERTISEMENT

Does UK have the worst SEC home atmosphere?

Seems like we get a lot of noon games in the hot sun. Noon games always feel dead. The later games we get are mostly against mid majors or lesser SEC teams (those SEC Network games). The times we get a good opponent at night, it's about as good as most any other place.

We also don't have many good game day traditions. While it's improving, it still doesn't match all of the top schools. Plus our crowds seem slow to fill up and quick to empty out. I think we also have a lot of bandwagon fans. I've never understood buying season tickets and then skipping 3 or 4 games against lesser opponents.
KyCatFan- if you live 800 miles away its hard to make everygame as a season ticket holder! I try really hard to make sure my seats are used by a UK fan if I know I can't make a game. Ball State is not going to get the same attendance as Florida, Tennessee, Alabama or any SEC team. As to being loud. When it's a big game and the team is competitive - UK will stand up against any crowd as to noise level, adrenalin levels and excitement. I have been to A & M, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and South Carolina. All of those places can be really loud, except Vanderbilt, at least when they played us!

I hated to see UK cut capacity - I always thought we should have an 80,000 seat Stadium (because the big boy programs have large stadiums - kind of like us and Rupp in basketball) - but when you see a competitive team like we have now and then see the crowd that shows up for Ball State type teams - you have to accept our stadium is about the right size. We just need to get bigger and better scoreboards, sound system and the stadium area WIFI is pitiful! I wasn't at the game last week but I can understand the phone ticket issue - if WIFI is not working - you will have ticket issues with many folks phones!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: 1977 Cat
KyCatFan- if you live 800 miles away its hard to make everygame as a season ticket holder! I try really hard to make sure my seats are used by a UK fan if I know I can't make a game. Ball State is not going to get the same attendance as Florida, Tennessee, Alabama or any SEC team. As to being loud. When it's a big game and the team is competitive - UK will stand up against any crowd as to noise level, adrenalin levels and excitement. I have been to A & M, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and South Carolina. All of those places can be really loud, except Vanderbilt, at least when they played us!

I hated to see UK cut capacity - I always thought we should have an 80,000 seat Stadium (because the big boy programs have large stadiums - kind of like us and Rupp in basketball) - but when you see a competitive team like we have now and then see the crowd that shows up for Ball State type teams - you have to accept our stadium is about the right size. We just need to get bigger and better scoreboards, sound system and the stadium area WIFI is pitiful! I wasn't at the game last week but I can understand the phone ticket issue - if WIFI is not working - you will have ticket issues with many folks phones!

Go Big Blue!
It's different if you can't go for some reason but still get someone to fill those seats. A lot of seats don't get used unfortunately. Just checking through the next few games you see a lot of resells like the Ball State game and those ended up not getting used. That's judging by how the top looked on TV.

There were nearly 3k empty seats according to UK. I'm not sure if that counts no shows as well as unsold tickets. No telling what numbers they use these days with different universities using different criteria. I only care about butts in seats. That's what people see on TV.

Even though it was an inferior opponent, I figured it would be full for opening day with higher expectations this season. Unfortunately, that's just not how things work anymore I guess. Maybe we need to start the season with a lower tier power 5 (I guess it's 4 now) team. Might fill up the stadium and still be a likely win.

No. The Krog is as electric at times as anywhere. That said, they need a legit game day coordinator and to upgrade the lights, etc.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I disagree. Unless ive just been going to terrible games in Lexington, i cant see any comparison. One thing you never see on TV from Lex, people jumping around and madness. When the TV pans to the crowd after a TD, at the crowds peak, people are standing and clapping. The intros are also terrible.
Okay, then we disagree. You seem determined to press a subjective observation that most of us don't share.

No way. Have you attended a game in Columbia recently? I went 2 years ago and that was one of the loudest places ive heard. Louder than Lexington at its greatest. Theres zero comparison.
It’s also a bigger stadium. Lol

PS: I do like the Call to the Post as a unique Kentucky tradition. OTOH, they can sh$t can "Blue Moon of Kentucky" in the pregame, can't imagine an old old folk song from Bill Monroe is going to fire up the student section . . . . or anyone else in the stadium either.
I hope they euthanize the Coal Whistle immediately. Insufferable.

It definitely comes across as lame especially on TV. Whoever the announcer is should immediately be replace or fired. Eveytime we score or make a good play he says this awfully long twangy sounding voice of his a belt out Keeeeeeeentuckyyyy. His voice irritates the hell out of me for some reason. We also need new fresh music or DJ way too much country music being played for my taste. Plus fans have to show up and show out. But I agree we need some type of revamping for sure.

Don’t hate on my bro Carl Nathe

The stadium improvements (which were absolutely necessary, btw) completely screwed up the tailgate scene at UK and it is taking a while to build it back up, imo.

We will never be Death Valley but when Commonwealth is rocking, it is an incredible experience.
The construction near the stadium screwed it up, more than the stadium itself. Over the years they've used more and more land that was once stadium parking for other things.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
No way. Have you attended a game in Columbia recently? I went 2 years ago and that was one of the loudest places ive heard. Louder than Lexington at its greatest. Theres zero comparison.
What's the loudest UK home game you've attended?

I go to the Florida game every year it is in the Swamp. It is really loud and also they provide virtually no security. They sell out 20k student season tickets every year and that doesn't count the thousands that seem to sneak in. Plus, they don't check your tickets when you walk to your seats. I generally get 4-5 seats at midfield behind UK's bench and before kickoff the isle stairs are filled with students to the point that it is very difficult to get up to the concourse. I got in a fight last year with two students who stole our seats when we went to the restroom. They refused to move when we got back and one of them knocked my 81 year old father to the ground. I've written their AD and police dept and have never received a response. Winning makes the danger seem worth it, but it is definitely not for everyone.
I’d have beat dude to a pulp. Don’t care where it was at.

If so, why??
I haven't been to all SEC fields yet, just Ole Miss, UGA, USC, and UT's.....and we're nowhere near the crazed atmosphere of these venues. Nowhere even close.
Vanderbilts looks pretty lame, similar to ours. Maybe Missouri too?

I remember an opposing coach, which the media claimed as anonymous, said it was the least intimidating.

Is UK the least loud and exciting and what are your experiences at away games?

It all depends on when you go and how the team is most places. I have been to UT and they stunk so it was 40% uk and 60% UT fans, so not loud at all either way even though there was 100,000 people there.

Was at the UK/LSU game when they were number one and the LSU fans were almost as loud as the Uk fans and there were only like 5,000 there. Football only schools like LSU will always be better as that is all they have ever cared about.

As others mentioned the crowd had a huge part in the 2021 Florida home win and a lot of games over the last few years. You will never be able to say that about Vanderbilt, so I would love your source on this anonymous coach. Not saying you are making it up but saying that it is impossible for anyone to actually believe that is true.

I suspect a big part is we are an historic BB school and new to being positive in the W/L column in FB.
  • As a result, we may lack more energetic traditions or a kick off production (a la USCe, Va Tech, LSU).
Bottom line: Aside from my childhood in Fayette county, I have lived in a 10 (plus) states including Power-Five locations Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, California, and Ohio.
  • In all that time....I have NEVER heard anyone say "Kentucky is a tough place to win a FB game"
Plenty of room for improvement along with the W/L column.

GBB!

Last edited:
Reactions: Louis_Skunt
Beating no. 1 LSU
Bingo. Assuming King Louis isn't just a troll, anyone who was at the 2007 LSU game knows what can happen in that stadium. 2018 UGA game compared well until late, as well as the joy of JoJo Kemp abusing Other Carolina in what, 2014? I'm sure there are others, but I was present for these, and those crowds DID NOT suck. Frankly, our crowds are great when we are competitive and something is on the line.

It all depends on when you go and how the team is most places. I have been to UT and they stunk so it was 40% uk and 60% UT fans, so not loud at all either way even though there was 100,000 people there.

Was at the UK/LSU game when they were number one and the LSU fans were almost as loud as the Uk fans and there were only like 5,000 there. Football only schools like LSU will always be better as that is all they have ever cared about.

As others mentioned the crowd had a huge part in the 2021 Florida home win and a lot of games over the last few years. You will never be able to say that about Vanderbilt, so I would love your source on this anonymous coach. Not saying you are making it up but saying that it is impossible for anyone to actually believe that is true.
It was in an article last season or the year before.

As for seasons, how about 3-4 years ago when UK was really good and we played UGA in Lex and nearly half the crowd was red? You would never see that anywhere but Vandy.
As passionate as our fan base is, when it comes to football, we're bottom of the barrel.

about 3-4 years ago when UK was really good and we played UGA in Lex and nearly half the crowd was red? You would never see that anywhere but Vandy.
As passionate as our fan base is, when it comes to football, we're bottom of the barrel.
Half the crowd being Red is a bit of a stretch...I doubt there was 31,000 UGA fans there in attendance. A couple thousand I can imagine, but not half. Football has always had decent crowds even when they were pretty bad. You won't find 62,000 Vanderbilt fans anywhere, not even for an academic tournament. Mizzou is the same way..

Reactions: STL_Cat
Well, this is obviously subjective, as my time in Oxford (in a win for Ole Miss) left me entirely unimpressed.

I’ll give you UGA and UT, but I’ve been to USCe and other than their 15 minute choreographed opening, would be close to a draw in my opinion for noise on the field, during play.

We got something very right with the last “expansion.” The press boxes (and luxury boxes) on the South side of the stadium lean sharply forward with a concave curvature, focusing all of the smaller, upper-deck noise directly back to the field.

I was at the Bama upset in 1998, the wins over Louisville and LSU in 2008, USCe in 2010 and 2014, and none of those games came close to the noise levels we achieved in big games in 2021, with the new configuration and a full house.

Again, the topic is very subjective, and given our typical position in the SEC, we tend to sell ourselves a bit short on the subject.

So, is there an objective measure?

Go back to YouTube videos of the Mizzou, UF and LSU wins in 2021.

The lead announcer had difficulties speaking with the sideline reporter, and at one point asked his partner if it was the loudest crowd he’d ever heard. There was no response; apparently he did not hear the question.

And as to effecting a team, I have never (on TV or in person) seen a team more effected by crowd noise than Florida in 2021; they had 8 false starts, the announcers crediting the crowd noise for them all.

I’d put us in the top 4 or 5 in the conference. We are obviously below A & M, UT, Georgia and Bama because of size issues. As to the rest, I just haven’t been that blown away.

I have been to all except A & M and Auburn and UF.

Mizzou, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss State we’re all pretty quiet, sort of baseball type crowds.

Arky had impressive hog calling, but no where near the noise of Kroger during play.

LSU and Georgia blew me away, but did not seem to effect play on the field.

For a well choreographed pregame, no one (maybe A & M) can beat USCe and LSU.
As usual spot on. I too was left a little underwhelmed at Ole Miss. Always wanted to go there and finally did last year and it was nice, and good crowd but nothing much different than at home and that includes the Grove experience, really just a bunch of tents close together. Crowd was loud at times but our crowd there probably had more energy to it than the home guys.

I too am not a fan of too much canned or manufactured hype.. Real hype and energy is great but it has to come from the crowd, canned or forced hype is lame as it can be and tired. The places that have real hype and energy have built it on traditions that the crowd seems to embrace and take part in.

We can hate UT but their pre-game rituals with the band forming the T to run through and General Neylands axioms are pretty cool. I thought Miss St had some good energy to it with some original stuff they do that's unique to them (besides the cowbells).

So as far as us, we do okay just need to find a few more unique things to make ours to add to the energy. Just dont do like we do at Rupp and copy every single canned song, latest hype video thing every junior high in America uses too.

Half the crowd being Red is a bit of a stretch...I doubt there was 31,000 UGA fans there in attendance. A couple thousand I can imagine, but not half. Football has always had decent crowds even when they were pretty bad. You won't find 62,000 Vanderbilt fans anywhere, not even for an academic tournament. Mizzou is the same way..
Unless a lot of UK fans wore red that day, but it was nearly half red.

• Haha
Reactions: phunterd
It definitely comes across as lame especially on TV. Whoever the announcer is should immediately be replace or fired. Eveytime we score or make a good play he says this awfully long twangy sounding voice of his a belt out Keeeeeeeentuckyyyy. His voice irritates the hell out of me for some reason. We also need new fresh music or DJ way too much country music being played for my taste. Plus fans have to show up and show out. But I agree we need some type of revamping for sure.
Not sure you go to football games. There is no country music ever played at football games. Maybe 10 years ago.

Reactions: STL_Cat
It was in an article last season or the year before.

As for seasons, how about 3-4 years ago when UK was really good and we played UGA in Lex and nearly half the crowd was red? You would never see that anywhere but Vandy.

That’s false. I was at that game. Nowhere near half the crowd was red.

Kentucky is right in there with all the mid tier programs as of now and will stay there as long as they win and keep having relevant games.

UK as far as gameday atmosphere is as exciting if not moreso than any school that has/doesn’t have an excellent bball program. On it’s own, UK football rivals most schools in fan fever.

I think some fans are so obsessed with basketball, that it negates our football following and investment.. that is simply and academically dishonest thinking.

It's different if you can't go for some reason but still get someone to fill those seats. A lot of seats don't get used unfortunately. Just checking through the next few games you see a lot of resells like the Ball State game and those ended up not getting used. That's judging by how the top looked on TV.

There were nearly 3k empty seats according to UK. I'm not sure if that counts no shows as well as unsold tickets. No telling what numbers they use these days with different universities using different criteria. I only care about butts in seats. That's what people see on TV.

Even though it was an inferior opponent, I figured it would be full for opening day with higher expectations this season. Unfortunately, that's just not how things work anymore I guess. Maybe we need to start the season with a lower tier power 5 (I guess it's 4 now) team. Might fill up the stadium and still be a likely win.
I had 2 that went unused Sat. and 1 right now.

Seems like we get a lot of noon games in the hot sun. Noon games always feel dead. The later games we get are mostly against mid majors or lesser SEC teams (those SEC Network games). The times we get a good opponent at night, it's about as good as most any other place.

We also don't have many good game day traditions. While it's improving, it still doesn't match all of the top schools. Plus our crowds seem slow to fill up and quick to empty out. I think we also have a lot of bandwagon fans. I've never understood buying season tickets and then skipping 3 or 4 games against lesser opponents.
Those moon games should be limited to one per year. Our best crowds are late afternoon to evening kickoffs. You gotta party, drink, puke, drink more to get fired up for the opponent. These non conference games? Forget about it, crowd is basically non-existent. A Saturday night against a good SEC team, you will see a loud, raucous crowd. I agree, too much hokey country music, they should put out a playlist during the week and let the fans vote on what they want played during the game. The goober country crap just needs to go. Va Tech uses Metallica at opening for every game. I would love to see this team come out to the field to the loudest version of Cat Scratch Fever that can be played. Every game, followed by other loud, head banging music. I’m 50 years old and I say play it loud and proud.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Kroger is a completely different animal for night games. More energy, more atmosphere, more adult beverages flowing. The LSU game a couple years ago was a blast. The USCjr game last year was not. The opponent is important but, most night games in SEC play are very good-excellent.

Just look at this video... It's lame. Boring. The videos they show are unneeded. Who the heck cares about anything said in the first video. It drags out way to long. When the team came out, the stadium lights should dim as much as the can, the field should glow blue with white strobes going off. Blue and white fireworks. The music should be bumping and the crowd rocking. We have about the most lame entrance, and do very little to get the crowd into it. If your going to bump Grove Street, then it should feel like a party. Need massive upgrades. Look toward Tennessee and how they use lighting, fireworks and such to make a statement.

Compare this to what we do... We can do soooooooooo much better than what we have currently.

The whole rock music does not work is played out. The players want to hear the crowd, the energy. Grove street can't compare. Not the same energy.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT