ADVERTISEMENT

Does this team have what it needs to win it all?

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Do you think they have all the pieces for a deep run? Offense is obviously great and defense needs work but let’s say they continue to play like they have, are they good enough to win the championship?

One bad shooting game in the tournament and they will get sent home.
Unless the defense improves. It's never going to be great. But it has to improve some or they got no shot at a title.
Elite offences usually mean you won't have a great defensive team.
They play fast. Score fast. Which also obviously leads to more poessions for the opponent.

Do you think they have all the pieces for a deep run? Offense is obviously great and defense needs work but let’s say they continue to play like they have, are they good enough to win the championship?
I'd like to see how we do against a team like Purdue with their giant. How about against a Houston type of team who usually plays great defense?

Need to get our Defense into the range of 25-35 in kenpom before I feel really good about it. Currently in mid 40’s I believe? And we need Edwards to at least be serviceable in terms of rebounding. Or Adou being healthy and Cal playing him more minutes than Edwards if that doesn’t happen. We have the ability to improve the D a bit, so we will see if it happens.

I'd like to see how we do against a team like Purdue with their giant. How about against a Houston type of team who usually plays great defense?
We’ll get a taste of it with A&M on Saturday. They are going to try and beat us up. Refs will matter on Saturday if we have another inconsistent shooting game. I’m expecting another close one against a desperate team.

I think they do because I think in today's basketball, scoring is as good of a defensive weapon as there is-it prevents a lot of issues with officiating because making shots can't be eliminated-when you get a tough whistle, you need capability of making shots to offset that. This team can do that. I also think if you've not faced them, the speed of how they get the ball up the court and move it with the pass is unreal. These guys play a fast paced Pro style game. It's like UNC played under Roy Williams and there's a reason UNC usually was very successful in NCAA Tournament.

I know one thing-if you can't make shots, you have 0 chance to win a championship. The margin is so small that you leave yourself open to get beat. Look at last night-Missouri could hang but eventually they went about 9 mins without a FG and it's not like UK was on shooting the ball-still got 90.

Does anyone think if Bradshaw/Ugo played against Kansas, that Cats lose that game? I don't think they lose to UNC Wilmington if DJ played.

Need everyone in this so Adou back too consistently as he's best and most versatile defensive player they have-but you definitely can win it all with this year's group. '17 like with better shooting/depth. It's not like they can't play defense but give me that 90 ppg in today's CBB and let's see who can match baskets/outscore you for 40 minutes when Cats are at full strength.

Didn’t we hold Mizzou w/out a FG for almost 10 mins to end the game last night?
I would say are defense is capable, just isn’t a focus right now…our ability to out-score our opponent is what they are focused on

I think they do because I think in today's basketball, scoring is as good of a defensive weapon as there is-it prevents a lot of issues with officiating because making shots can't be eliminated-when you get a tough whistle, you need capability of making shots to offset that. This team can do that. I also think if you've not faced them, the speed of how they get the ball up the court and move it with the pass is unreal. These guys play a fast paced Pro style game. It's like UNC played under Roy Williams and there's a reason UNC usually was very successful in NCAA Tournament.

I know one thing-if you can't make shots, you have 0 chance to win a championship. The margin is so small that you leave yourself open to get beat. Look at last night-Missouri could hang but eventually they went about 9 mins without a FG and it's not like UK was on shooting the ball-still got 90.

Does anyone think if Bradshaw/Ugo played against Kansas, that Cats lose that game? I don't think they lose to UNC Wilmington if DJ played.

Need everyone in this so Adou back too consistently as he's best and most versatile defensive player they have-but you definitely can win it all with this year's group. '17 like with better shooting/depth. It's not like they can't play defense but give me that 90 ppg in today's CBB and let's see who can match baskets/outscore you for 40 minutes when Cats are at full strength.
This is a good post but I have my doubts that we can just outrun 6 straight teams. At some point they’ll have to shut somebody down.

I think the defense is better when Adou is playing. He's needed for a deep run.

The offensive depth for this team is awesome. You have to be able to score to win tight tournament games. The depth allows for one guy to have an off night and still win. Dilly having an off game in Florida for example.

We’ll get a taste of it with A&M on Saturday. They are going to try and beat us up. Refs will matter on Saturday if we have another inconsistent shooting game. I’m expecting another close one against a desperate team.
I watched a little bit of the Auburn Texas A&M game and something that really stood out was the size and weight of the players on both teams. We have skinny basketball players, and it looks like they have grown ass men. That’s why Adou is so important for this season.

I agree with everything you said except I would add one caveat about UNC/Roy Williams: Roy was a coach who knew how and when to throw a defensive wrinkle in to throw the opponent off for a few possessions. He did it against the Cats when we had a late lead in 2017. UNC could score with us but wasn’t getting stops. He went zone for 3-4 trips down the court, Boom, 10-point swing. Cal hasn’t shown me he has that in his toolbox. Furthermore, since Cal never plays zone, we never face it in practice. That, to me, is a problem.

Everything but a head coach. His assistants seem to have gotten tired of his bs. It was great to see Orlando fire off on him last night.
Our best shot is Cal staying out of the way. Even John Wall called him before Florida and asked him to let the players play.

I agree with everything you said except I would add one caveat about UNC/Roy Williams: Roy was a coach who knew how and when to throw a defensive wrinkle in to throw the opponent off for a few possessions. He did it against the Cats when we had a late lead in 2017. UNC could score with us but wasn’t getting stops. He went zone for 3-4 trips down the court, Boom, 10-point swing. Cal hasn’t shown me he has that in his toolbox. Furthermore, since Cal never plays zone, we never face it in practice. That, to me, is a problem.
and I would add that our offense seems to revert to "one on one" shots (playmakers) a little too much -- its my opinion that Cal's offense is based on superior athletes that are taught basic offense and spacing, then when late in the clock, to go 1 on 1...

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Everything but a head coach. His assistants seem to have gotten tired of his bs. It was great to see Orlando fire off on him last night.
Our best shot is Cal staying out of the way. Even John Wall called him before Florida and asked him to let the players play.
Shut up...this is so stupid

The thing with Houston is they are great defensively but lack offensively, they only put up 52 points in their loss against Iowa St., there’s a lot of teams Kentucky can just out score even if the defense isn’t there

Reactions: NociHTTP
I think it depends.

Currently no. In a one and done tournament you are bound to have some off shooting nights and right now this defense just doesn't give me any confident we can win games on defense.

That being said, we have an entire conference schedule plus Gonzaga to play. So we'll see in March.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
This is a good post but I have my doubts that we can just outrun 6 straight teams. At some point they’ll have to shut somebody down.
Don't disagree at all with you-but really we can go in deeper when we see the rest of the season play out/Selection show/Brackets, etc.....I can say one thing-if you get a bracket like last year-this year's team is going to the Final Four. Period. They aren't losing to Emperor Tang and the Mouthy Midget. He'd be getting buckets and shots sent back to the dome and then Emperor Tang would've wanted Dilly/DJ T'd up for mocking his little pet midget.

Think of recent exits dating back---'23, '22, lack of making shots and FT's and weak at guard spot/depth. Slow footed guys. Reliant on 1/2 players and not enough creators/guys who can make plays for teammates. '20 team was coming on but that Tennessee debacle right before the SEC Tournament was concerning but loved IQ/Maxey/Richards trio. '19 was hurt by Hagans lack of offense and the lack of quickness to handle Auburn's guards. '18 was about not making shots/scoring. '17 was a great team that faced the NC in a game and in 80 minutes that year Cats won the overall battle by 1 point-which speaks to that being the NC game in Elite 8. Maybe this team faces that type of bracket-but I like their chances of going to Elite 8 and Final Four as of now based on what I've seen and their opportunity to grow defensively too. Adou makes this team better defensively with is versatility and they have 10 fouls now for the 5 spot-if Z ever got cleared-I dont' expect much but he's got 5 fouls, size, and some skill to not be a goon on the court.

But that offense can carry you through some rounds too. I just think it's so important in Postseason play to have shot making/put pressure on opponents who can't shoot it as well. They can hang for 20/25 minutes but you get deeper in the game and eventually revert to what you are.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
The thing with Houston is they are great defensively but lack offensively, they only put up 52 points in their loss against Iowa St., there’s a lot of teams Kentucky can just out score even if the defense isn’t there

It's a bit of a misnomer tho. Houston has the 17th best offensive efficiency. It's just that they play at snails pace and thus their games are low scoring.

It's sorta similar to the year UVA won their title. They had a really good offense despite scoring in the 60s.

If UK played Houston, there is zero chance we put up 90. It would take one heck of an offensive performance to hit 80. That's just based on the lack of possessions. Then you factor in their great defense and it would be even tougher.

and I would add that our offense seems to revert to "one on one" shots (playmakers) a little too much -- its my opinion that Cal's offense is based on superior athletes that are taught basic offense and spacing, then when late in the clock, to go 1 on 1...

You’re correct. But that actually gives me hope as we have those playmakers this year where we haven’t the past few seasons. Our whole team can get their own shot and that makes us really dangerous and almost impossible to guard.

RDF, are you hearing anything on the Edgecombe recruitment?

Bradshaw/Ugo & Edwards are our weak spots right now. They have to up their game if we are to win it all.
Agree-but you have to figure Bradshaw/Ugo are only going to improve seeing they are still in December mode physically compared to everyone else being good to do-so their growth chart to improve is significant and look at UF game for instance-you get 16 pts, 12 rebs, 3 blocks from 5 man spot and they aren't nearly what they can/will be.

Edwards/Adou are the key spots for me-there is enough depth to just need good play from both--but if you get Edwards clicking--it's next level for this group. We need to see more consistent defense from Edwards and less lapses-but Adou just needs to be healthy--he's a warrior out there and love growth in Reeves game (didn't just jack 3's when being off--got to the FT line and made some mid range shots too) and Mitchell has been a godsend for the program with his experience and versatility.

I am entertained more which think we all are-but I also love watching them play and seeing what they have a chance to be. Now like anything-they have to do it-but last night was type of game we'd have seen Kentucky lose the past few seasons due to similar mistakes or defensive breakdowns or just frustrated from hot shooting-and the offense sucked/relied on Oscar and whichever other player would be decent that game. Now they won a Conference game by 13 and scored to their avg of 90 ppg in a game they had a lull in 1st Half and don't have everyone going---those are good problems to need to improve upon compared to recent years IMO.

The obvious answer is, to Improve the defense so we can have a good run in March. So Cal maybe working on this as we speak, but im not seeing any results yet. The time is now for trying some different things like some spurts of zone looks and not waiting till late in the season or post season. Not saying thats the answer but what would it hurt to experiment with on a few trips down the floor. Much like they have worked on our offensive inbounds plays this year.

Agree-but you have to figure Bradshaw/Ugo are only going to improve seeing they are still in December mode physically compared to everyone else being good to do-so their growth chart to improve is significant and look at UF game for instance-you get 16 pts, 12 rebs, 3 blocks from 5 man spot and they aren't nearly what they can/will be.

Edwards/Adou are the key spots for me-there is enough depth to just need good play from both--but if you get Edwards clicking--it's next level for this group. We need to see more consistent defense from Edwards and less lapses-but Adou just needs to be healthy--he's a warrior out there and love growth in Reeves game (didn't just jack 3's when being off--got to the FT line and made some mid range shots too) and Mitchell has been a godsend for the program with his experience and versatility.

I am entertained more which think we all are-but I also love watching them play and seeing what they have a chance to be. Now like anything-they have to do it-but last night was type of game we'd have seen Kentucky lose the past few seasons due to similar mistakes or defensive breakdowns or just frustrated from hot shooting-and the offense sucked/relied on Oscar and whichever other player would be decent that game. Now they won a Conference game by 13 and scored to their avg of 90 ppg in a game they had a lull in 1st Half and don't have everyone going---those are good problems to need to improve upon compared to recent years IMO.
I agree with most of what you said but in the Florida game Mitchell had 10 of those rebounds. Our 7 footers need to block out better and rebound much better. Mitchell has been a Godsend !

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Don't disagree at all with you-but really we can go in deeper when we see the rest of the season play out/Selection show/Brackets, etc.....I can say one thing-if you get a bracket like last year-this year's team is going to the Final Four. Period. They aren't losing to Emperor Tang and the Mouthy Midget. He'd be getting buckets and shots sent back to the dome and then Emperor Tang would've wanted Dilly/DJ T'd up for mocking his little pet midget.

Think of recent exits dating back---'23, '22, lack of making shots and FT's and weak at guard spot/depth. Slow footed guys. Reliant on 1/2 players and not enough creators/guys who can make plays for teammates. '20 team was coming on but that Tennessee debacle right before the SEC Tournament was concerning but loved IQ/Maxey/Richards trio. '19 was hurt by Hagans lack of offense and the lack of quickness to handle Auburn's guards. '18 was about not making shots/scoring. '17 was a great team that faced the NC in a game and in 80 minutes that year Cats won the overall battle by 1 point-which speaks to that being the NC game in Elite 8. Maybe this team faces that type of bracket-but I like their chances of going to Elite 8 and Final Four as of now based on what I've seen and their opportunity to grow defensively too. Adou makes this team better defensively with is versatility and they have 10 fouls now for the 5 spot-if Z ever got cleared-I dont' expect much but he's got 5 fouls, size, and some skill to not be a goon on the court.

But that offense can carry you through some rounds too. I just think it's so important in Postseason play to have shot making/put pressure on opponents who can't shoot it as well. They can hang for 20/25 minutes but you get deeper in the game and eventually revert to what you are.
The majority of teams don’t play great offense in the NCAAT especially when playing in big wide open domes. Defense ultimately wins championships. Unless this team improves drastically on defense it wouldn’t be a surprise if we were eliminated very early.

The majority of teams don’t play great offense in the NCAAT especially when playing in big wide open domes. Defense ultimately wins championships. Unless this team improves drastically on defense it wouldn’t be a surprise if we were eliminated very early.
I disagree there. I think you need to get stops but offensive teams win championships. UConn's ability to score destroyed teams. Now their defense triggered offense too-but they could consistently score where opponents would play in ebb/flow. SDSU was the exception but end of day-they couldn't get through 6 games without making shots.

Also we're seeing less and less dome games. Specifically in the 2nd Weekend. More arena play. The Final Four will be Dome play but I think if you can shoot-you can shoot. Look at UK in '12--didn't bother Doron Lamb to be playing in Superdome. Why? He can shoot the ball. Same with Darius Miller. Marquis Teague too-who was hot as can be in that '12 Tournament. Cats shot great in GA Dome too against IU/Baylor.

Defense is important but I believe offensive skill/shot making wins championships. It's a lot easier for a great offensive team to get stops then it is for bad offensive teams to create offense/consistently make shots. Add pressure of 1 and out and scenario too and again this may be my own take that everyone thinks is dumb but shot making can reduce the punishment of a bad whistle from officials too. Making shots can't be eliminated from equation--even if they don't get you to the FT line as much. I've liked the officiating overall this year in CBB compared to past simply by seeing charge call basically eradicated. Much more fun to watch.

I'll also say this-if you flipped to Iowa State/Houston during breaks--it was gross to watch. Just gross. Houston had 8 pts under 8 mins in 1st Half. That is not going to get it done in March and never will. You can win some games and get a favorable bracket but eventually you run into a Baylor or a Miami Fl and you get run off the floor due to shot making.

I agree with most of what you said but in the Florida game Mitchell had 10 of those rebounds. Our 7 footers need to block out better and rebound much better. Mitchell has been a Godsend !
Bradshaw had 6/7 boards in UF game and Ugo was great upon his insertion in the 1st Half-got the game tied at 27 and then subbed out and Bradshaw was still in "do I want to compete" mode and UF bumped it to double digits again.

We absolutely have everything. Most important, we have the players. We have overwhelming guard play which is of absolute importance in the tournament. We have super talented bigs but they are behind the guards right now. We go 9 deep without a serious dropoff. We have the best coach in college basketball.

Our defense and rebounding need to improve and they are. No one is better than us right now and we are going to get much better. No one else has the room to improve that we do. And we are already better. This is a great team.

If UK fans can't get behind this team then they should quit calling themselves UK fans.

Bro starts so many threads, might be time for a moratorium.

Answer is yes btw

Yep , that’s my worry right here .. 1 on 1 possessions when the game is on the line .. we have already seen that with a late 3 from Bradshaw , and if my memory is right a late difficult J from Wagner —- that’s not the formula for winning it all , taking shots we really don’t want to win games .. and if want rest our chances on #9 on either one of those you must visit Vegas often .. because you be a gambler .. I understand it’s all a gamble .. but I’d rather have Reed or Reeves or something in a set other than “ go beat your man “

Reactions: FltDoc
I disagree there. I think you need to get stops but offensive teams win championships. UConn's ability to score destroyed teams. Now their defense triggered offense too-but they could consistently score where opponents would play in ebb/flow. SDSU was the exception but end of day-they couldn't get through 6 games without making shots.

Also we're seeing less and less dome games. Specifically in the 2nd Weekend. More arena play. The Final Four will be Dome play but I think if you can shoot-you can shoot. Look at UK in '12--didn't bother Doron Lamb to be playing in Superdome. Why? He can shoot the ball. Same with Darius Miller. Marquis Teague too-who was hot as can be in that '12 Tournament. Cats shot great in GA Dome too against IU/Baylor.

Defense is important but I believe offensive skill/shot making wins championships. It's a lot easier for a great offensive team to get stops then it is for bad offensive teams to create offense/consistently make shots. Add pressure of 1 and out and scenario too and again this may be my own take that everyone thinks is dumb but shot making can reduce the punishment of a bad whistle from officials too. Making shots can't be eliminated from equation--even if they don't get you to the FT line as much. I've liked the officiating overall this year in CBB compared to past simply by seeing charge call basically eradicated. Much more fun to watch.

I'll also say this-if you flipped to Iowa State/Houston during breaks--it was gross to watch. Just gross. Houston had 8 pts under 8 mins in 1st Half. That is not going to get it done in March and never will. You can win some games and get a favorable bracket but eventually you run into a Baylor or a Miami Fl and you get run off the floor due to shot making.
Michigan’s football team says to hold their beer.
You seen what just happened to Washington’s high powered offense and mediocre defense.
No way you’re going to win 6 NCAAT basketball games being a bad defensive team. The games slow down in the NCAAT and you’ve got to be able to get stops.
Our defense has time to improve but it needs to start improving now.

This team reminds me of the Alabama team from a few seasons ago. They were a high scoring 3 point fast offense. But, when not hitting those 3's and had to face a slow down structured offense, there were problems.

I have to as usual question coaching. Maybe it is too simplistic but do they ever advise players on what not to do? You can't count on Bradshaw or Edwards to catch quick and often no-look passes especially in the paint. It's just a no, don't do it yet they do. You can't expect Ugo to be a point forward, it is just a no yet they do. You can't expect Sheppard to stay in front of his man after a pick without help, yet they do. You can't have two guys trying to block a shot from one player on the interior without someone rotating and expect to get a rebound, but they do.

We have a very good team. But, I will be the broken record over the years and say it would have been interesting to have thrown a zone on occasion to change the rhythm of Missouri on the open 3's. It would also be interesting to have a zone when a shot blocker like Ugo is in there for the interior drives and force the side. Plus, before you say a zone while they were hitting all the 3's? Yes, because the 3's were coming from inside-out passes.

THIS ! ! ! I couldn't have said it better ukj !

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT