ADVERTISEMENT

Does this team have what it needs to win it all?

I agree with everything you said except I would add one caveat about UNC/Roy Williams: Roy was a coach who knew how and when to throw a defensive wrinkle in to throw the opponent off for a few possessions. He did it against the Cats when we had a late lead in 2017. UNC could score with us but wasn’t getting stops. He went zone for 3-4 trips down the court, Boom, 10-point swing. Cal hasn’t shown me he has that in his toolbox. Furthermore, since Cal never plays zone, we never face it in practice. That, to me, is a problem.
Even more so just switch up your man to man defense. Switching on screens or having the big to hedge on screens pushing the guard away from the basket instead of letting him turn the corner and have a lane to the bucket at times can throw off an offense.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Do you think they have all the pieces for a deep run? Offense is obviously great and defense needs work but let’s say they continue to play like they have, are they good enough to win the championship?
Yes UK has all the pieces this year. Probably 1st time since 16-17.. UK has 5 players that can go off and be the best player on the floor on any given night.

I think it is too early to tell(even though it is near mid January) Look at what happened last night, Houston loses, I don't think they are on the short list as a team that can win it all. Purdue loses badly, more of a surprise than Houston in my book.

Much as I hope not KU looks like a team that can make a run, same goes for Duke but I think they are more likely to throw in a klunker somewhere along the way.

If not for their dismal NCAAT history UT looks the part of a title contender

Now to the question posed in this thread. Does this team have what it takes to win it all? We have enough offense and as long as we stay healthy we have enough depth.(adding Z would be a plus and getting Theiro back might put us over the top)
Sadly I don't see enough defense to cut down the nets. I think we make a good run but as of today the elite eight is where I see this team going.

If we were to get a break and a bracket open up via an upset or two that could change in a heartbeat. If we could get a draw like we did last year I think this team would take advantage of it.

A 1 seed is still on the table if we can keep winning and get to the finals of the SECT. This team will give us a fun ride and some emtertaining basketball for the rest of the season I think.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I’m afraid if this team doesn’t tighten up the defense and rebounding it has the perfect makeup to break our damn hearts.

This team reminds me of the Alabama team from a few seasons ago. They were a high scoring 3 point fast offense. But, when not hitting those 3's and had to face a slow down structured offense, there were problems.

I have to as usual question coaching. Maybe it is too simplistic but do they ever advise players on what not to do? You can't count on Bradshaw or Edwards to catch quick and often no-look passes especially in the paint. It's just a no, don't do it yet they do. You can't expect Ugo to be a point forward, it is just a no yet they do. You can't expect Sheppard to stay in front of his man after a pick without help, yet they do. You can't have two guys trying to block a shot from one player on the interior without someone rotating and expect to get a rebound, but they do.

We have a very good team. But, I will be the broken record over the years and say it would have been interesting to have thrown a zone on occasion to change the rhythm of Missouri on the open 3's. It would also be interesting to have a zone when a shot blocker like Ugo is in there for the interior drives and force the side. Plus, before you say a zone while they were hitting all the 3's? Yes, because the 3's were coming from inside-out passes.
I can’t like this post enough , well done

Reactions: uk78
Defense is a non factor right now. And our big's are weak.
A team with a big man like Edey or Dickinson will push our guys all around the floor.

Doesn't mean we cant out score 6 teams in March, but I highly doubt it.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Defense is a non factor right now. And our big's are weak.
A team with a big man like Edey or Dickinson will push our guys all around the floor.

Doesn't mean we cant out score 6 teams in March, but I highly doubt it.
We played Dickinson and didn’t have too many issues with him. Heck we were up 14 on them. Had that not been the first game of the year we’d have finished that out. Guys like him and Edey who are good (and get ref protection) will always get theirs.

I think we have the pieces needed to win it all, we just need some luck along the way. But, we can beat anyone on any given night.

We played Dickinson and didn’t have too many issues with him. Heck we were up 14 on them. Had that not been the first game of the year we’d have finished that out. Guys like him and Edey who are good (and get ref protection) will always get theirs.
I seem to recall an issue of losing the game.
And who was the 6'7 nobody center a couple of games ago who could not be stopped?

I think this is a very poor defensive team, but I like our chances a lot better if I know some opponent big isn't going to get 25/15. We run into a big doing that, I don't like our chances cuz it's going to cause a lot of other problems.

I seem to recall an issue of losing the game.
And who was the 6'7 nobody center a couple of games ago who could not be stopped?

I think this is a very poor defensive team, but I like our chances a lot better if I know some opponent big isn't going to get 25/15. We run into a big doing that, I don't like our chances cuz it's going to cause a lot of other problems.
Yes. We lost the game. But it wasn’t due ti Dickinson owning us like say Zion did.

Yet we shut UNCs big dude down pretty handily.

I mean Purdue just got smacked by an ok Nebraska team. Is Nebraska better than we are? Doubtful.
I think Nebrask's defense (in that game) was exceptional. They closed on Zach very quickly, either that or he's a very slow big which I also wondered about in that game.

I don't think we should dismiss Purdue or Houston based on losing one game on the road in conference. It just shows that it's tough to win road games.

Both teams took massive EM hits (Houston 1.07 and Purdue 2.21). But that just brought them down a bit to where everyone else is at. They are still very much title contenders.

Those results don't make them any less of a contender in my book. Teams lose games, sometimes to teams that are worse then they are (see UK vs UNC-W)

Until we start taking pride in getting defensive stops......NO.
Love our offense, but it will only take you so far, until you run into a team who dictates tempo, and makes it a half-court physical rock fight with no easy looks. Then you are going to have to get stops. Unfortunately, I have not seen a Calipari team improve defensively throughout the season in years and this team is no exception. We are no better defensively than we were on day 1. That will be our undoing.

Michigan’s football team says to hold their beer.
You seen what just happened to Washington’s high powered offense and mediocre defense.
No way you’re going to win 6 NCAAT basketball games being a bad defensive team. The games slow down in the NCAAT and you’ve got to be able to get stops.
Our defense has time to improve but it needs to start improving now.

Why are you taking our discussion to an entirely different sport? I never said defense doesn't win championships in FB. I said it in Basketball. In skill sports, you better have offensive firepower if you want to win championships. You have to make shots and avoid those long lulls of not scoring and need a bunch of playmakers/scorers.

I don't think Kentucky is a bad defensive team. I think they need to improve in that area but I also think they have the capability to do so with their big men getting more experience and catching up to the season-they were behind due to injuries/sitting out recovering. Their best defensive player has been out for 3 games 2 1/2 weeks now. He makes a difference.

The game never has to slow down--you value possessions more but if you can score, you can score. This is an offensively gifted team with a deep group of guys who can impact the game making plays for teammates/making shots. That's a weapon they haven't had for some time and it's going to serve them well in Postseason play as it has to this point in the season. Do they need to improve defensively? Yes. Can they? I believe so.

However I'll bet they have a far better chance to improve their weakness then some brick tossers who rely on a soft whistle and allowing officials to let them mug opponents and hope they get a tight whistle to help them offensively. That just doesn't win consistently in March. You can get a run in a given year, but not sustain. Roy Williams model was far more successful due to offensive firepower and that carried over from Kansas to UNC. The NC's all happened at UNC but his style of play was fantastic in March due to putting the ball in the hole and being aggressive offensively. That's what this UK team is and we all know March is about perimeter play/guards and nobody is deeper with guys to go to then UK. Might be some as deep or approaching it, but nobody deeper.

I don't think we should dismiss Purdue or Houston based on losing one game on the road in conference. It just shows that it's tough to win road games.

Both teams took massive EM hits (Houston 1.07 and Purdue 2.21). But that just brought them down a bit to where everyone else is at. They are still very much title contenders.

Those results don't make them any less of a contender in my book. Teams lose games, sometimes to teams that are worse then they are (see UK vs UNC-W)
Houston has proven far too long they don't score enough. It's a problem. I'm not dismissing Purdue or Houston but I don't like how Houston plays offensively. It's all predicating a loose whistle to help them with their style of play defensively and attacking the glass offensively. But at some point they run into a team who makes shots and puts them in a hole and is also tough enough to not get shook by their physical play. Look at the Miami FL game last year.

Reactions: Smashcat
Houston has proven far too long they don't score enough. It's a problem. I'm not dismissing Purdue or Houston but I don't like how Houston plays offensively. It's all predicating a loose whistle to help them with their style of play defensively and attacking the glass offensively. But at some point they run into a team who makes shots and puts them in a hole and is also tough enough to not get shook by their physical play. Look at the Miami FL game last year.
If they didn't make a FF last year with that team, very hard to see them making it this year.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Absolutely, I think this team could win it all. At least as much chance as anyone else.

Everyone needs more than a few things to go right for them to win a title in college hoops. The NCAA tournament is the most challenging format out of any sport, IMHO, to win a title.

And every team has flaws that could spell a loss in the tournament, including Kentucky. One loss, and you're done.

But that's just it. So the EASY answer is : yes, of course we do have what it needs, and takes to win a title.

Will we ?

Totally different question.

Reactions: storm1507
All about match ups - I don’t have confidence in the staff to make in game adjustments nor put the best lineups on the floor

Reactions: FltDoc
Everything but a head coach. His assistants seem to have gotten tired of his bs. It was great to see Orlando fire off on him last night.
Our best shot is Cal staying out of the way. Even John Wall called him before Florida and asked him to let the players play.
I saw this but wasn't really sure what set Orlando off. But I loved seeing him go off on Cow.

The past few years
2024 = 17th
2023 = 11th
2022 = 10th
2021 = 7th
2020 = 22nd
2019 = 19th
2018 = 38th
2017 = 39th
2016 = 21nd
2015 = 232nd (Sampson's first year)

The only reason they don't score is because they don't play fast. The last four years they rank in the 330s in tempo. That's basically the ONLY reason. On a points per possession basis, they can score with anyone in the country.

The reason people don't like their style is because it's essentially the same style of offense that UK has had under Cal (with the exception of this year). They feast on the boards. That's how they make their living on offense.

A 2 point shot going in looks nice. A missed shot, rebound, putback looks a lot less attractive. But both result in 2 points.

Their shooting %, turnover % and rebounding % all suggest that if they played at a faster tempo, they'd score just fine. Thing is it's easier for teams to slow other teams down than force teams to play fast. So I think they'll be fine.

Reactions: CashM03
Do you think they have all the pieces for a deep run? Offense is obviously great and defense needs work but let’s say they continue to play like they have, are they good enough to win the championship?
Yes, they have the pieces, so do several other teams. During the rigors of the tourneys, conference & NCAA it's a long journey, especially on the legs. The first sign of tired legs is lower % of shoots being made and missed free throws late in games. As the old says goes,"you can have a bad offensive game and still get a win but have a bad defensive game and go home". One of the major positives this team has is depth. Hopefully we can get the NCAA to qualify Z to play, he will be needed especially in the tourney.

I honestly look for Cal to change the offense going forward. I saw him say after last nights game he told the team to quit shooting threes and attack the basket. Said you can shoot a bunch of threes and lose if you miss.
I don’t think we’ve truly seen what kind of team we will have in March.

Didn’t we hold Mizzou w/out a FG for almost 10 mins to end the game last night?
I would say are defense is capable, just isn’t a focus right now…our ability to out-score our opponent is what they are focused on
They just shot like crap

I honestly look for Cal to change the offense going forward. I saw him say after last nights game he told the team to quit shooting threes and attack the basket. Said you can shoot a bunch of threes and lose if you miss.
I don’t think we’ve truly seen what kind of team we will have in March.
This is something I still worry about a bit. Credit where credit is due, Cal has actually mostly embraced our more perimeter oriented attack so far this year, but it’s often human nature to revert to a comfort zone when things get tough. Hopefully he won’t try to coach us out of taking the 3 just because we’ve had a couple of games in a row where we didn’t make an exceptional percentage of them.

Reactions: ck-2
TBH we don't really take that many 3s.

We are essentially average. It just seems like we take a lot of threes because compared to previous years we are lol.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Why are you taking our discussion to an entirely different sport? I never said defense doesn't win championships in FB. I said it in Basketball. In skill sports, you better have offensive firepower if you want to win championships. You have to make shots and avoid those long lulls of not scoring and need a bunch of playmakers/scorers.

I don't think Kentucky is a bad defensive team. I think they need to improve in that area but I also think they have the capability to do so with their big men getting more experience and catching up to the season-they were behind due to injuries/sitting out recovering. Their best defensive player has been out for 3 games 2 1/2 weeks now. He makes a difference.

The game never has to slow down--you value possessions more but if you can score, you can score. This is an offensively gifted team with a deep group of guys who can impact the game making plays for teammates/making shots. That's a weapon they haven't had for some time and it's going to serve them well in Postseason play as it has to this point in the season. Do they need to improve defensively? Yes. Can they? I believe so.

However I'll bet they have a far better chance to improve their weakness then some brick tossers who rely on a soft whistle and allowing officials to let them mug opponents and hope they get a tight whistle to help them offensively. That just doesn't win consistently in March. You can get a run in a given year, but not sustain. Roy Williams model was far more successful due to offensive firepower and that carried over from Kansas to UNC. The NC's all happened at UNC but his style of play was fantastic in March due to putting the ball in the hole and being aggressive offensively. That's what this UK team is and we all know March is about perimeter play/guards and nobody is deeper with guys to go to then UK. Might be some as deep or approaching it, but nobody deeper.
Do you think the physical ability is there to become a very good defensive team?

We have length speed and quickness. Not a ton of bulk.

Seems to me we should be a very good defensive group

If UK can improve it's defense and Ole Cal doesn't reappear at Tourney Time the Cats can get to the Final 4 then who knows

Do you think the physical ability is there to become a very good defensive team?

We have length speed and quickness. Not a ton of bulk.

Seems to me we should be a very good defensive group
I think they definitely have potential and what's set them behind a bit is the injuries to the big men. They are still playing catch up to speed of the game/physicality (Bradshaw in that aspect more than Ugo) etc...

This is the most enjoyable team and part of what has made them enjoyable is their toughness in games. They stay connected and fight/compete. But offensively they are fun to watch and put up points....that is a great weapon and puts pressure on opposing teams. They know UK is going to score and they have exceed or match that and hope they are off that night--but even in off nights, this team can find ways to score the ball due to the depth of playmakers/scorers. Now if they can tighten it up defensively....that just makes it harder and UK gets points off turnovers they create too. Ball gets up the court quickly.

I've liked watching this team since July Trip and they've carried that over to the season. Believe in this group more than any since '17. Now a lot of basketball to be played, but they have the traits that I personally like (fully recognize that doesn't mean a damn thing) in contending basketball teams. Production with a large potential to still grow/improve in areas that are question marks--which is defensive concerns as we've been discussing.

We absolutely do and then some. Our bigs are getting acclimated and Theiro sp? has missed time. I'm not worried about the defense. If we're still in the 40s on KenPom in March I'll worry then. But even then we still have the firepower to make a deep run.

TBH we don't really take that many 3s.

We are essentially average. It just seems like we take a lot of threes because compared to previous years we are lol.

Currently 73/351 in rankings so inside top 25%. Tied for 14th among what I'd call Power 6 conferences (include Big East).

So we are certainly well above average.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT