ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else notice something unique with the team?

Dec 19, 2022
Both my wife and I have noticed though out the season how this team celebrates their teammates success. From our guards to our bigs each player is fighting for playing time along with potential on increasing possible draft status.

Do you notice how often the players on the bench our genuinely excited when a great play is made? Did you see how Bradshaw seem to be consoling Onyenso at the end of the game when he committed the foul? Did you notice how the excited the guards, like Edwards, sitting on the bench were when Reed made the game winner? It would be very easy for many of these players to have an attitude when they are sitting the bench but it doesn't appear to be the case. Instead of just going through the motions and concerned only with their performance they seem to put a lot of emphasis on winning above everything.

I think we have a really good group of kids this year. Just hope they can make some good memories. This thread is only about the kids so please leave Cal out of it.

Last edited:
I do like this team .. the way they fly up and down the court , its great to see , and I agree , they seem to get along great , no issue with any player , they all play hard almost always .. its the benny roaming the sidelines thats the issue . Edit , just read your last sentence , the request , ha ha. Let's all celebrate and forget about the dummy coaching us". yeah thats reality .

I agree. Seems like a good group interested in the success of the team. Don’t see a lot of bad body language out of these guys.

I’ve enjoyed this team a lot even if they’ve frustrated me at times, and a lot of that is because they’re very likable guys.

(BTW, Your last line will be fully ignored. Every damn thread on this board turns to a Cal thread.)

Both my wife and I have noticed though out the season how this team celebrates their teammates success. From our guards to our bigs each player is fighting for playing time along with potential on increasing possible draft status.

Do you notice how often the players on the bench our generally excited when a great play is made? Did you see how Bradshaw seem to be consoling Onyenso at the end of the game when he committed the foul? Did you notice how the excited the guards, like Edwards, sitting on the bench were when Reed the game winner? It would be very easy for many of these players to have an attitudes when they are sitting the bench but it doesn't appear to be the case. Instead of just going through the motions and concerned only with their performance they seem to put a lot of emphasis on winning above everything.

I think we have a really good group of kids this year. Just hope they can make some good memories. This thread is only about the kids so please leave Cal out of it.
I've noticed this! Especially from players on the bench who could easily be upset that they're not in the game (Bradshaw, DJ and Dilly at times). This has been one of the more likable teams I've ever watched. Also one of the most frustrating teams because we all know the ceiling is so high for them.

Do you notice how often the players on the bench our generally excited when a great play is made? Did you see how Bradshaw seem to be consoling Onyenso at the end of the game when he committed the foul? Did you notice how the excited the guards, like Edwards, sitting on the bench were when Reed the game winner? It would be very easy for many of these players to have an attitudes when they are sitting the bench but it doesn't appear to be the case. Instead of just going through the motions and concerned only with their performance they seem to put a lot of emphasis on winning above everything.

It's easily noticed unless you are a CHC conspiracist. The players always know who should be playing. If there's a problem then it's obvious too. And you hear about it.

These guys play for each other. They don't complain. If there's any jealousy they hide it from everyone.

Supposedly the bogeyman, Klutch, is running the show. But there are no signs of that outside of CHC meetings.

This is a very good team that's only getting better. It takes a while to see how players play and how they play with each other. And also how some players get better faster than others. The coach has to manage that. Cal does it better than anyone.

Every players is better. Some are light years better. Just look at Onyenso and Theiro compared to last year. Look at how much Reeves has gotten. That doesn't happen in a vacuum .

Edwards hasn't come along as quickly as most expected but he's starting to get there. Dillingham is getting more under control.

Contrary to what the haters claim, Cal doesn't have a set system. He plays how each team needs to play. Again, it takes time to figure that out.

Just a few of the team that went on to post season success, the '11 team didn't get it until the SEC tourney. Same for the '14 team. The '17 team got really good by Feb. The '20 team was really good by the SEC season and rolled the SEC. And they all played differently. I didn't mention '12 and '15 because they pretty much had it all season.

This team has been a joy to watch come together. Of course there's been some set backs as they grew. But they are almost a finished product now. And the sky is the limit.

I agree 100% OP. Bradhsaw is far from the player we thought he would be. But he is a far better person and teammate than anyone thought he would be or even could expect with his season he has had. The kid is a very good kid, and very proud to say he is a UK Wildcat. I just think back to when he was injured and had surgery, a bunch of fans here blasted the kid and said "he will never play here", "Shadeon Sharpe 2.0", etc. Shame on those people who past judgement and made their minds up, BEFORE getting to know the kid.
The whole team is for each other and always are lifting each other up. We may not be where we thought we would be, but this a one of if not the best group of kids we have had here.

This team is one of my favorites ever. They just seem to be good kids who enjoy being on the team. Honestly Wagner, Bradshaw and Edwards could have easily blown this team up with poor attitudes. The fact that they haven’t and in fact quite the opposite is a testament to their attitudes and quality of people they are.

This team is one of my favorites ever. They just seem to be good kids who enjoy being on the team. Honestly Wagner, Bradshaw and Edwards could have easily blown this team up with poor attitudes. The fact that they haven’t and in fact quite the opposite is a testament to their attitudes and quality of people they are.
I like this team. I like every team. And Cal has had almost exclusively players who have been good people in his time here. He should be commended for that.

But I don't understand how a team that hasn't even gotten to the post season yet or accomplished anything of significance yet could be one of your favorites ever. If it's just because they are good kids enjoying themselves, then we've had lots of years of that. In Cal's 14 years here, I would say this team at very best would be about the 4th most liked/favorite team. And then you go back to our 1996 and 1998 Championship teams plus the Unforgettables, and now this team is almost out of the top 10.

How long have you been a UK fan?

Reactions: fbrent1972
I like this team. I like every team. And Cal has had almost exclusively players who have been good people in his time here. He should be commended for that.

But I don't understand how a team that hasn't even gotten to the post season yet or accomplished anything of significance yet could be one of your favorites ever. If it's just because they are good kids enjoying themselves, then we've had lots of years of that. In Cal's 14 years here, I would say this team at very best would be about the 4th most liked/favorite team. And then you go back to our 1996 and 1998 Championship teams plus the Unforgettables, and now this team is almost out of the top 10.

You are the type that just looks for a pissing match aren’t you? You have no damn idea how long I have been a fan but I will indulge you. I have stood at the post office as a 10 year old kid with my 14 year old sister crying for them to open up because my tickets mailed to me for a UK vs Notre Dame game in Freedom Hall (in the 70s) were there and I got them to find the tickets and made the game. I have been to the 93, 97, 12, 14 and 15 Final Fours. Taken my son to Madison Square Garden to watch the Cats and got him on the floor for the layup contest at half time. You don’t get to establish what makes them one of my favorite teams.

Last edited:
You are the type that just looks for a pissing match aren’t you? You have no damn idea how long I have been a fan but I will indulge you. I have stood at the post office as a 10 year old kid with my 14 year old sister crying for them to open up because my tickets mailed to me for a UK vs Notre Dame game in Freedom Hall (in the 70s) were there and I got them to find the tickets and made the game. I have been to the 93, 97, 12, 14 and 15 Final Fours. Taken my son to Madison Square Garden to watch the Cats and got him on the floor for the layup contest at half time. You don’t get to establish what makes them one of my favorite teams.
OK - I'm just mostly confounded that this could be anyone's favorite team at this point. Is there a reason beyond that they are likable and are having fun? Seriously, I am genuinely curious. And who are your other top few favorite UK teams?

Reactions: NociHTTP
I understand because you and your son watch and cheer together. It’s a great tradition passed on from father to son down the line. Enjoy your time with your son and enjoy this team

This has been a really fun team to watch on and off the court. I noticed Bradshaw consoling Ugonna on the bench and though how many top 10 recruits who lost their spot/minutes to someone who wasn't supposed to overtake them would do that. I don't think it would be many.

Also Your top recruits: Edwards, DJ, Bradshaw have lost end game minutes to folks who were supposed to be behind them, but they're not pouting or sulking, they're typically some of the first of the bench to congratulate their teammates.

OK - I'm just mostly confounded that this could be anyone's favorite team at this point. Is there a reason beyond that they are likable and are having fun? Seriously, I am genuinely curious. And who are your other top few favorite UK teams?
First of all work on your reading comprehension. I wrote ONE of my favorites. Why is this team 1 of my favorites? Because this team had 3 highly recruited/rated players come in who have been deemed to have fallen short of expectations and have had their PT reduced. Despite that nobody has pouted and in fact this team seems to have a genuine bond where they truly pull for one another and pick each other up. Very little ball hogging/selfishness on this team. Thiero commenting about playing for the name on the front of the jersey when he could have easily pouted and left the team. The pure joy on Zs face is fun. Reeves coming back. Reed’s style of play. This team has lost some games due in no small part to Cal being stubborn. I don’t fault the players for that. This team could easily be a 1-2 seed if handled better.

My son plays baseball at a small college and his roommate/teammate is friends with Reeves. From same HS as Reeves so get interesting stories. I could go on but won’t.

Have I satisfied you? Expressing an opinion of liking a team should not have been an issue but you tried to make it an issue. Look at my profile and you can see I’ve been a member since 2001.

90,91,92 Elite 8 team. No business talent wise being there but did it on heart. 14-14 year was still awesome to me.
98 Title team-just a huge fan of Sheppard. His moon pie story at Mr. Wildcat’s service leads to some revisionist history by me. He just gets it.
96 Team. Re-established UK atop the hoops world.
12&15 Teams just because they took no damn prisoners. Miller stuck around and was 1 of my favorites in 12.
84 team with Twin towers and Sky Walker
78 team for a lot of reasons.

Do you notice how often the players on the bench our genuinely excited when a great play is made? Did you see how Bradshaw seem to be consoling Onyenso at the end of the game when he committed the foul? Did you notice how the excited the guards, like Edwards, sitting on the bench were when Reed the game winner? It would be very easy for many of these players to have an attitudes when they are sitting the bench but it doesn't appear to be the case. Instead of just going through the motions and concerned only with their performance they seem to put a lot of emphasis on winning above everything.

Bold post.

I agree 100% OP. Bradhsaw is far from the player we thought he would be. But he is a far better person and teammate than anyone thought he would be or even could expect with his season he has had. The kid is a very good kid, and very proud to say he is a UK Wildcat. I just think back to when he was injured and had surgery, a bunch of fans here blasted the kid and said "he will never play here", "Shadeon Sharpe 2.0", etc. Shame on those people who past judgement and made their minds up, BEFORE getting to know the kid.
The whole team is for each other and always are lifting each other up. We may not be where we thought we would be, but this a one of if not the best group of kids we have had here.
Bradshaw came up big when it counted last night. He impacts games in a big way when he does perform.

Love the players....... but i dont know how anyone can watch this and not be massively frustrated that the best group of players cal has had since 2012 or 2015 and we have 8 losses already and cal's narcissism and ahole attitude has burned every bridge in the SEC/Refs/NCAA and gets these awesome kids horrible officiating because the refs and powers hate cal.

It will be a long time before we ever see a group with this much talent and we wasted it with Cal as the coach. (absolutely no chance in hell will refs and ncaa allow Cal to win another title)

This team has seemed different the entire season to me. Don’t really have a tangible reason to give you, but I haven’t had this feeling about a team since 2017. They’ve had their rough patches, but just seem like they have “it”

Do you notice how often the players on the bench our genuinely excited when a great play is made? Did you see how Bradshaw seem to be consoling Onyenso at the end of the game when he committed the foul? Did you notice how the excited the guards, like Edwards, sitting on the bench were when Reed the game winner? It would be very easy for many of these players to have an attitudes when they are sitting the bench but it doesn't appear to be the case. Instead of just going through the motions and concerned only with their performance they seem to put a lot of emphasis on winning above everything.

Yes, these guys obviously love each other and play for each other. I know I'm not supposed to mention the coach, but I think that may be one of his best qualities, taking guys who are used to being the star and getting them to take on a role, not play selfishly, and play for each other. And regarding this particular team, I'd say they're a very special group in that regard, better than many other teams and players we've had. Watching them cheer for each other makes watching our games even better.

I believe he was referring to the character of the kids, and not the seasons body of work. Well speaking only for myself, I know that is what I was referring to. I even said "even though they have not had the season we expected". I do think that was what he was referring to also. I may be wrong.

I do like this team .. the way they fly up and down the court , its great to see , and I agree , they seem to get along great , no issue with any player , they all play hard almost always .. its the benny roaming the sidelines thats the issue . Edit , just read your last sentence , the request , ha ha. Let's all celebrate and forget about the dummy coaching us". yeah thats reality .
Cal Derangement Syndrome is undefeated

I've been a fan since the early 90s and this is easily one of my favorite teams as well.

Love the players....... but i dont know how anyone can watch this and not be massively frustrated that the best group of players cal has had since 2012 or 2015 and we have 8 losses already and cal's narcissism and ahole attitude has burned every bridge in the SEC/Refs/NCAA and gets these awesome kids horrible officiating because the refs and powers hate cal.

It will be a long time before we ever see a group with this much talent and we wasted it with Cal as the coach. (absolutely no chance in hell will refs and ncaa allow Cal to win another title)
Original post says "please leave Cal out of it" .

Then @Wildcat-in-STL goes on to literally list Cal 5 times in one post...... Yikes

I've been a fan since the early 90s and this is easily one of my favorite teams as well.
However inappropriate according to one individual, it is pretty easy to understand how and why so many like this team and find them to be one of their favorites.

Interesting. I guess maybe part of that could be that the season has been more fun in general than the ones from the past several years.

If this team and season were in the middle of the Pitino years or in the middle of Cal's early years here, it's difficult for me to see how it would be a favorite other than the guys are very likable. But almost all of Cal's players have been pretty likeable anyway.

Reactions: thedahc
Have you ever liked a UK coach? You despise Cal and Stoops. This isn't dissing you, you do you, I'm just wondering if you have ever supported a UK coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT