ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else notice?

Once we took our largest lead, 104-67, the officials called the rest of the game completely one sided. 14-2 free throws. It's like they were embarrassed for Alabama and tried to even the score some. I remember at one point it was 21-9 free-throw advantage for us. It ended up being 27-26 for them.
Its called, "game management"---Its a 40 point game. So as officials you say---"Lets keep Bama happy, and UK healthy."---Emotions run high, even in blowuts. Maybe even more so than if the game is close. So its easy to "get" fouls on UK, opposed to Bama. The calls are meaningless---they have zero bearing on the outcome. So you now manage the game, opposed to officiating the game. Keeps emotions in check.

Yep, it was definitely the we-feel-bad-for-the-other-team-getting-absolutely-ass-blasted-on-national-television-whistle. Shame, fair whistle and it likely ends like 120-80.

We also let them have a million dunks and layups at the end plus we decided to brick all our 3s just about too.

At 1 point I Think we were 13/18 from 3 and ended the game 13/24.

We got outscored something like 26-13 the final 8 minutes it was like Georgia all over again except on a smaller scale and we all didn't care at that point anymore.

Its called, "game management"---Its a 40 point game. So as officials you say---"Lets keep Bama happy, and UK healthy."---Emotions run high, even in blowuts. Maybe even more so than if the game is close. So its easy to "get" fouls on UK, opposed to Bama. The calls are meaningless---they have zero bearing on the outcome. So you now manage the game, opposed to officiating the game. Keeps emotions in check.
So a foul on one end isn't a foul on the other end?
Got it!

Yep, it was definitely the we-feel-bad-for-the-other-team-getting-absolutely-ass-blasted-on-national-television-whistle. Shame, fair whistle and it likely ends like 120-80.
What difference does it make? Winning by 40, opposed to "only" 22? As an official, I'm just wanting the last 10+ minutes to go smooth----keep emotions in check. Manage the game. At this juncture, the game is over; 104-67. Its not like it was a 15 point game or something. It was a 37 point game. The "whistle being fair" is irrelevant.

You get marginal calls vs UK, and leave them alone vs Bama. Why? Because no one is getting mad for UK, Its like, "yeah, shitty call, but----who cares---we are up by 50.

Manage the game.

So a foul on one end isn't a foul on the other end?
Got it!
Sure---that's exactly what I said. This is why its impossible to have a conversation. Its a 40 point game. Its not about officiating the game anymore---Its about keeping the game under control. Keeping emotions in check. Not one singlecall the final 10 minutes had any bearing on the outcome at all.

Sure---that's exactly what I said. This is why its impossible to have a conversation. Its a 40 point game. Its not about officiating the game anymore---Its about keeping the game under control. Keeping emotions in check. Not one singlecall the final 10 minutes had any bearing on the outcome at all.
So why give the losing team the call? Let's keep the game in check and give the winning team the 14-2 advantage. Why penalize the winning team?

Reactions: STL_Cat
What difference does it make? Winning by 40, opposed to "only" 22? As an official, I'm just wanting the last 10+ minutes to go smooth----keep emotions in check. Manage the game. At this juncture, the game is over; 104-67. Its not like it was a 15 point game or something. It was a 37 point game. The "whistle being fair" is irrelevant.

You get marginal calls vs UK, and leave them alone vs Bama. Why? Because no one is getting mad for UK, Its like, "yeah, shitty call, but----who cares---we are up by 50.

Manage the game.
Or you know... Call the game correctly? And if tempers flare and guys can't handle getting their asses handed to em, you know they can be ejected/suspended? Your mindset is why officiating is so awful, call the damn rules, call em whether its 1 second into the game or 1 second left.

Or you know... Call the game correctly? And if tempers flare and guys can't handle getting their asses handed to em, you know they can be ejected/suspended? Your mindset is why officiating is so awful, call the damn rules, call em whether its 1 second into the game or 1 second left.
Borden is a small school ref. That is scary, but we all know this happens.

So why give the losing team the call? Let's keep the game in check and give the winning team the 14-2 advantage. Why penalize the winning team?
Its called managing the game. No one is penalizing anyone. The outcome has long been decided. Lets say we call a bunch of fouls on Bama---whos already pissed, mad, etc, getting embarrassed on national TV. The players, the bench , they are pissed. So why compound it? If we call bunch of fouls on Bama, maybe they get even more pissed, more aggravated---and now someone has just had enough---and BOOM---we have anF2 type of foul. UK player gets hurt...etc...You wanna avoid this. Its what I mean by---"Keeping Bama happy, and UK healthy."--No one from UK is bitching. And no one from Bama is bitching, either.

Its just simply manage a game that has long been decided.

I can see letting stuff go, but just let it go on both ends to get the game over quickly. Only call the egregious fouls to “manage the game.”

Manage the game.
Thank you! Most people do not understand this aspect of officiating!

Reactions: sambowieshin
Right....Or, you mange the game, the emotions w/o having to deal with tempers, possible ejections, tech's, etc...How many dust ups did you see the final 12+ minutes? Zero. How many times you see Bama or UK get upset over any call? Zero.

Game management. But I get it---Most of you hate the officials. So what I am saying is goingi in one ear, and out the other.

Leave it to a few to actually complain about the final 10 minutes of officiating, in a 40 point game.

I can see letting stuff go, but just let it go on both ends to get the game over quickly. Only call the egregious fouls to “manage the game.”
This. And its usually how its handled. I thought the crew did a fantastic job in this aspect. You HAVE to get the train wrecks, hard contact. But you can let the little stuff go---and more so with Bama. Like I said, no one from UK is getting upset over any call, at this point of the game. Not even the fans.

Thank you! Most people do not understand this aspect of officiating!
Because it’s straight bullshit. It isn’t a refs job to protect players from their own emotional volatility. There are rules in place for guys who overstep that. If you can’t control your emotions you can be ejected. The refs are there to call the game according to the rules. It’s this mindset that leads to refs like TV Teddy and Doug Shows thinking that the fans are there to see them. Call the damn game by the book the entirety of the game.

@IUfanBorden what are you talking about, Teams come back, calling all those fouls for alabama ?? it could have happened, crazy stuff happens, just because Kentucky was up 35 you don't start calling a lop sided game

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
Right....Or, you mange the game, the emotions w/o having to deal with tempers, possible ejections, tech's, etc...How many dust ups did you see the final 12+ minutes? Zero. How many times you see Bama or UK get upset over any call? Zero.

Game management. But I get it---Most of you hate the officials. So what I am saying is goingi in one ear, and out the other.

Leave it to a few to actually complain about the final 10 minutes of officiating, in a 40 point game.
In all fairness, which looks more impressive to the committee? A 40 point beat down or winning by 22? We had them defeated and the whistles started. There was no animosity, just officials injecting themselves where they're not needed.

As long as I’ve been watching UK basketball SEC officials have always switched gears to favor the team behind.

And not just 30+ point leads. They do it with 15-20 point leads.

They do it on fouls too. If you see one team with 7 fouls and the other with 1 it won’t be 4 minutes of game time before SEC officials have that tied up.

Worst officials in basketball at any level.

Joe B used to complain all the time that SEC officials tried to keep you blowing out another team.

In all fairness, which looks more impressive to the committee? A 40 point beat down or winning by 22? We had them defeated and the whistles started. There was no animosity, just officials injecting themselves where they're not needed.
I am just telling you why things like this occur. Its not a 20 point game----that got turned into a 6 point win. All the years I worked CBB, game management was the emphsasis----especially in 40 point games with 8 minutes to go. Not one single call made has any bearing on the game itself. You're simply just keeping a flow, or trying to---Keeping Bama "happy", and UK "healthy".

A 40 point win vs a 22 point win, really is moot in the grand scheme. And TBF, I think UK went 1-9 to end the game from three---So make a few more, and well, its still a 30+ point win.

Just giving some insight.

Because it’s straight bullshit. It isn’t a refs job to protect players from their own emotional volatility. There are rules in place for guys who overstep that. If you can’t control your emotions you can be ejected. The refs are there to call the game according to the rules. It’s this mindset that leads to refs like TV Teddy and Doug Shows thinking that the fans are there to see them. Call the damn game by the book the entirety of the game.
Ya'll scream, "call it by the rules"---And I just chuckle.

Teams shoot 80 FT's----Fans scream---"Let them play"

Teams shoot 20 FTS---Fans scream---"call the foul"

One of my favorite interactions with a coach went like this: "Borden, I dint envy you guys at all. Because everytime you blow that whistle---somebody wants to choke you".

So right. But I love it.

Its ok.....And where did I say, "prolong" the game? Did I say . "call a bunch of fouls on UK"? Nope. Maybe go read it again, bruh.
Bruh, simple math here. Your game management plan which includes call tick tack fouls in keeping emotions in check adds extra mins to the game. 24 to be exact. Bruh, come on.

@IUfanBorden what are you talking about, Teams come back, calling all those fouls for alabama ?? it could have happened, crazy stuff happens, just because Kentucky was up 35 you don't start calling a lop sided game
If Bama had come back from being down 37 with 7 minutes to go----the officiating wouldn't have had a thing to do with it.

Its not like I said we start trying to mange the game with 18 minutes to go....That game didn't get "out of hand: until UK went on a 12-0 run, pushing the lead to 26.

Bama wasn't coming back from 37 down with 8 minutes to go,

I agree with you Lemp but the NCAA changes the rules at random and interprets them as they see fit and tell the officials to call the games like Borden said. Many times it backfires as some let the rough stuff go to keep the clock running and then they end up with fights and reviews etc. Just call the game as you said.

Ya'll scream, "call it by the rules"---And I just chuckle.

Teams shoot 80 FT's----Fans scream---"Let them play"

Teams shoot 20 FTS---Fans scream---"call the foul"

One of my favorite interactions with a coach went like this: "Borden, I dint envy you guys at all. Because everytime you blow that whistle---somebody wants to choke you".

So right. But I love it.
It’s really not that hard to follow, refs won’t see everything and a different ref can have a different opinion on what is and isn’t a foul, but just call it evenly. And don’t change mid game. That LSU game had like 7 total fouls in the first half and 22 in the second. If you’re calling every touch foul on the perimeter before the play starts you better call it both ways.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
I agree with you Lemp but the NCAA changes the rules at random and interprets them as they see fit and tell the officials to call the games like Borden said. Many times it backfires as some let the rough stuff go to keep the clock running and then they end up with fights and reviews etc. Just call the game as you said.
Officials should never let the rough stuff go. And again, that's not the point here. You call the game as you would...But you also understand, this game is over----5 mintues left, UK is up 30. Its easier to get a foul vs UK, opposed to Bama, because no one is gonna bitch---Bama is not gonna bitch....UK is not gonna bitch.

Its really not a hard concept----and its a part of officiating that people just don't get.

It’s really not that hard to follow, refs won’t see everything and a different ref can have a different opinion on what is and isn’t a foul, but just call it evenly. And don’t change mid game. That LSU game had like 7 total fouls in the first half and 22 in the second. If you’re calling every touch foul on the perimeter before the play starts you better call it both ways.
I guess.

Heres a thought....

First half has 7 total fouls. Team sgo into the locker room---coaches see this. They say, "look, only 4 fouls on us---letting us play----so lets see how far we can go with this. Lets be more aggressive...

And well now you have 22 fouls in the second half. And why? Teams push the enevolope here. They become a little more aggressive.

Possible that happens?

Dude all but admitted that they inject themselves into games.

I guess.

Heres a thought....

First half has 7 total fouls. Team sgo into the locker room---coaches see this. They say, "look, only 4 fouls on us---letting us play----so lets see how far we can go with this. Lets be more aggressive...

And well now you have 22 fouls in the second half. And why? Teams push the enevolope here. They become a little more aggressive.

Possible that happens?
Why don’t you watch that game and tell me?

Officials are subjective humans with biases driven by crowds, emotion, coaching personalities, player personalities, and ... ahem, gambling spreads.

You have to start there, in terms of understanding their behaviors and tendencies, when you have any discussions about officials.

Officials should never let the rough stuff go. And again, that's not the point here. You call the game as you would...But you also understand, this game is over----5 mintues left, UK is up 30. Its easier to get a foul vs UK, opposed to Bama, because no one is gonna bitch---Bama is not gonna bitch....UK is not gonna bitch.

Its really not a hard concept----and its a part of officiating that people just don't get.
So you admit you’re favoring the losing team because you’re going to be questioned less if you call fouls against the leading team?

Reactions: Ugoff
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT