ADVERTISEMENT

Do you chip in for NIL at UK?

Do you chip in for NIL at UK

• Yes

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 150 90.9%

• Total voters
I would never, under any circumstances, contribute anything to a collective. There is zero percent chance of any type of return on investment. If I could negotiate an agreement for a well-recognized student-athlete to do a radio spot or television endorsement for my business in exchange for a reasonable fee, that's something entirely different. And the IRS on June 9, 2023 issued a memo advising NIL’s that their function doesn’t fit within the confines of tax exempt status. Think about that when asked to make an NIL contribution. I'm among those who anticipate that most collectives [there will be a few exceptions] will eventually follow the same path to implosion as what we recently saw take place with a Michigan State collective.

With rare exception, contributing to an NIL collective is for suckas...

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe the average fan regardless of university is paying much for NIL.

Money is coming from businesses or the extremely wealthy.

Honestly you are a fool if you give even a $1 to support the NCAA and Universities crapping the bed on ruining college sports forever.

I’m not sure the average fan contributes much anywhere. If I ever did contribute it would be from my business which I’m sure is par for the course most places.
I contribute. Lots of "average fans" contribute to UK NIL, because they realize something that many on this thread apparently do not. You don't have to give $1000. You don't even have to give $100 if that is too much. Nobody is asking you to starve your family. Unless you are disabled or bankrupt, there isn't a single poster who can't afford to give $25. It's the cost of an Uber ride or a couple of movie tickets. The size of the contribution does not represent the loyalty of the fan, and nobody with common sense suggests that. Some of us have more financial obligations and resources than others. It's about making the effort. Everyone should make the effort, even if it is $25.. All you have to do is contribute what you can afford. As we can see here, many people who jump up and comment on a thread like this one are the same people who already have a firm rationale to justify why they won't contribute. Many of the same people behave here as if the Universirty of Kentucky has an obligation to entertain them, but they do not see this as a two-way street. Those people should be embarrassed, but some people are hard to embarrass.

Last edited:
I contribute. Lots of "average fans" contribute to UK NIL, because they realize something that many on this thread apparently do not. You don't have to give $1000. You don't even have to give $100 if that is too much.

The point being made is your $25 donation is pointless. Your contribution even with 300+ joining you doesn't make up for the 6 figures that these kids are getting.

I just find it crazy. Fans are expected to pay absurd tix prices, get tv packages deals like the SECN to watch games, and now pony up money to pay players. In an era where players can bolt at any minute or sit on the bench and refuse to play.

Kind of funny how some have acted like fans don’t matter to a program, but now all the sudden if we aren’t paying more money we’re the problem. Not directing that at you, just the general vibe around it all.
Unfortunately, I think the reality of the situation is that today's college athletics is pay for play. If you can't produce NIL money to attract players, you won't field a competitive program. I would hate being a coach today because your success is partially determined by the amount of NIL money your fan base is willing generate. Like it or not, we as a fan base now bear some of the burden for attracting players. I said this from the beginning, UK operates in a small market in a relatively poor State. The more impact NIL has on recruiting, the more likely we fall behind. The only salvation would be if the NCAA could somehow enforce the rule that you can't pay for play. I'm not sure that's possible because these are third party deals and the NCAA has no real power to investigate those transactions to the degree necessary to determine if it was pay for play or a legitimate NIL transaction.

I'm almost at the point if we do go to a super conference to just make it like the NBA... make players enter a draft and have teams build that way.

Top 100 recruits enter a draft and then you can supplement your team through "free agency" the outside top 100 recruits.

Unfortunately, I think the reality of the situation is that today's college athletics is pay for play. If you can't produce NIL money to attract players, you won't field a competitive program. I would hate being a coach today because your success is partially determined by the amount of NIL money your fan base is willing generate. Like it or not, we as a fan base now bear some of the burden for attracting players.
We'll see. It will be a few years before all the NIL dust settles, but I anticipate that with each passing year there will be less and less money contributed to collectives until the collectives as we currently know them all but disappear from the radar. As the result of their on-the-field achievements, are an increasing number of higher profile college athletes [like Caleb Williams, Caitlin Clark, Shadeur Sanders, etc.] going to enter into individual deals with vendors like KFC, St. Farm and Wendys? Probably. But those NIL deals are at least hinged in part by productivity on the college playing field, and also in part by the marketing returns those vendors expect to see in their cash registers. Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I anticipate that NIL handouts which don't provide any return on investment to the folks paying the dough are already coming to a gradual close. U of Miami and Michigan State have already had collectives essentially collapse. Others will follow.

I contribute. Lots of "average fans" contribute to UK NIL, because they realize something that many on this thread apparently do not. You don't have to give $1000. You don't even have to give $100 if that is too much. Nobody is asking you to starve your family. Unless you are disabled or bankrupt, there isn't as single poster who can't afford to give $25. It's the cost of an Uber ride or a couple of movie tickets. The size of the contribution does not represent the loyalty of the fan, and nobody with sense suggests that. Some of us have more financial obligations and resources than others. It's about making the effort. Everyone should make the effort, even if it is $25.. All you have to do is contribute what you can afford. As we can see here, many people who jump up and comment on a thread like this one are the same people who already have a firm rationale to justify why they won't contribute. Many of the same people behave here as if the Universirty of Kentucky has an obligation to entertain them, but they do not see this as a two-way street. Those people should be embarrassed, but some people are hard to embarrass.
The university has zero obligation to entertain me but I also have zero obligation to throw money at players just so they will come here with no guarantee they will come or stay. They are never going to do anything for me and my family. I think it’s absurd that fans are contributing money to be distributed to college players or even worse that it is allowed.

I contribute. Lots of "average fans" contribute to UK NIL, because they realize something that many on this thread apparently do not. You don't have to give $1000. You don't even have to give $100 if that is too much. Nobody is asking you to starve your family. Unless you are disabled or bankrupt, there isn't as single poster who can't afford to give $25. It's the cost of an Uber ride or a couple of movie tickets. The size of the contribution does not represent the loyalty of the fan, and nobody with sense suggests that. Some of us have more financial obligations and resources than others. It's about making the effort. Everyone should make the effort, even if it is $25.. All you have to do is contribute what you can afford. As we can see here, many people who jump up and comment on a thread like this one are the same people who already have a firm rationale to justify why they won't contribute. Many of the same people behave here as if the Universirty of Kentucky has an obligation to entertain them, but they do not see this as a two-way street. Those people should be embarrassed, but some people are hard to embarrass.
To each their own, but I find this kind of thinking crazy. I’ll be brutally honest, if UK athletics suffers because the average Joe fan isn’t chipping in to NIL, so be it. I’ve said it before but tix prices are crazy and just being able to watch games on tv has been on a steady incline.

Everyone on this board could throw in $25 and it still wouldn’t lure us a top 5* qb.

Players and coaches can leave at a moments notice, but we’re expected to pony up for it. You could throw money in and then have a disaster of a season, and then be expected to do it all over again for next season.

If there is a player I really like, I might buy some of their merch; but I’d never blindly throw money at NIL with no idea who or what it’s going towards.

Reactions: Ugoff and sjjones
I don’t think you’re allowed too. I read on this board that Mitch Barnhart doesn’t support NIL and JMI hurts NIL… at Kentucky but not Georgia or any of its other numerous schools.

To each their own, but I find this kind of thinking crazy. I’ll be brutally honest, if UK athletics suffers because the average Joe fan isn’t chipping in to NIL, so be it. I’ve said it before but tix prices are crazy and just being able to watch games on tv has been on a steady incline.

Everyone on this board could throw in $25 and it still wouldn’t lure us a top 5* qb.

Players and coaches can leave at a moments notice, but we’re expected to pony up for it. You could throw money in and then have a disaster of a season, and then be expected to do it all over again for next season.

If there is a player I really like, I might buy some of their merch; but I’d never blindly throw money at NIL with no idea who or what it’s going towards.
Heck I doubt a $1000 per poster pledge would lure a 5 star QB here. He would probably end up sucking if we did. Been amazed over the years of the low quality 4’s we have been able to attract. Morgan Newton anyone!!!

IMO, UK needs to start thinking outside the box, like other schools have. Just doing a collective and asking fans to pay $25/month with very little in return isn't going to cut it. The athletic department has to make a decision to forego some of their own profits so it can go to players. For example, Alabama has an NIL merchandise shop in the stadium where 100% of the profits go back to the players. Let the player sell their autographed merchandise in there or their tee shirts, or jerseys with their name on the back. I feel like people are more likely to purchase something knowing the profits go to the player you are purchasing it for. I know if I was buying a $50 article of clothing and I knew the profits were going to the kid instead of the athletic department, I would buy it their instead.

The point being made is your $25 donation is pointless. Your contribution even with 300+ joining you doesn't make up for the 6 figures that these kids are getting.
Of course it isn't pointless. The opposite. No offense, but you don't understand what you are saying. You speak of "even with 300+ joining", but there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of normal every day fans in the BBN. Many targets for public donation in this country are mostly supported by small donations, and they succeed every day. Stop making excuses and participate.

Of course it isn't pointless. The opposite. No offense, but you don't understand what you are saying. You speak of "even with 300+ joining", but there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of normal every day fans in the BBN. Many targets for public donation in this country are mostly supported by small donations, and they succeed every day. Stop making excuses and participate.

Dude you know how many steps it takes to even donate for NIL? I googled it earlier and for the average fan it's a complete turn off.

Think your mistaken I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of UK fans don't participate nor care in the NIL.

If it was successful than Stoops wouldn't be complaining... and frankly we have two coaches right now who couldn't sell me a water bottle in the middle of a desert.

You have some of the most hardcore UK fans on this board and you see the poll results it's a flat out NO

Reactions: westerncat

Your username is wewant9. So you are motivated by results. Believe what you want, but I'm sure you don't mind it when we win. All the excuse making just separates the men from the boys. Everyone can afford $25 and most can afford $100. If you choose not to help, that's on you. Don't call others who participate crazy, or maybe we should be equally blunt and call you a cheap skate.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Dude you know how many steps it takes to even donate for NIL? I googled it earlier and for the average fan it's a complete turn off.

Think your mistaken I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of UK fans don't participate nor care in the NIL.

If it was successful than Stoops wouldn't be complaining... and frankly we have two coaches right now who couldn't sell me a water bottle in the middle of a desert.
I participated. I did not find it difficult, dude. What you are "willing to bet" is a rationalization for not participating. Go ahead and sit it out, and others will carry your weight. Weak.

Your username is wewant9. So you are motivated by results. Believe what you want, but I'm sure you don't mind it when we win. All the excuse making just separates the men from the boys. Everyone can afford $25 and most can afford $100. If you choose not to help, that's on you. Don't call others who participate crazy, or maybe we should be equally blunt and call you a cheap skate.
If giving to NIL makes you feel good, go for it. It’s not for me. Big time cheap skate for not wanting to pay for a college player.

Nope, I don't have access to that kind of money or much of any money at all.
If you are disabled, retired, or bankrupt, then your position is understandable. But people with sources of income can afford to donate $25. They may choose not to, but I don't believe we should sit on our hands and allow people to post the lazy, self-serving myth here that it doesn't help. Of course it does.

• Haha
If giving to NIL makes you feel good, go for it. It’s not for me. Big time cheap skate for not wanting to pay for a college player.
Part time apathy. LOL! I'll bet you still watch the games and emote over the results. But like you say, you own the decision.

• Haha
LMAO. WTF happened to college sports.

If you are disabled, retired, or bankrupt, then your position is understandable. But people with sources of income can afford to donate $25. They may choose not to, but I don't believe we should sit on our hands and allow people to post the lazy, self-serving myth here that it doesn't help. Of course it does.
These top kids are looking for 100's of thousands and more for NIL, have you seen some of these figures? $25 is absolutely nothing unless you are calling for millions of Kentuckians to give up $25 each. And, that's not happening. Thanks for grouping me with disabled, retired (I am), and bankrupt but I think you totally missed my point and a bit of sarcasm. If you haven't guessed by now, I am no fan of NIL and what it is doing to college sports so I don't care to add to the problem personally. My choice and I guess you don't have to respect it.

If NIL was a thing when Shaedon Sharpe was here would he still be alive today? It's not always good to take money from people you don't know like those donating to these collectives. They may have different expectations than the player. It's going to happen. Just a matter of time.

Oh yeah. If you applied for student loan relief and donated to the collective, you're the problem with the world.

I contribute. Lots of "average fans" contribute to UK NIL, because they realize something that many on this thread apparently do not. You don't have to give $1000. You don't even have to give $100 if that is too much. Nobody is asking you to starve your family. Unless you are disabled or bankrupt, there isn't a single poster who can't afford to give $25. It's the cost of an Uber ride or a couple of movie tickets. The size of the contribution does not represent the loyalty of the fan, and nobody with common sense suggests that. Some of us have more financial obligations and resources than others. It's about making the effort. Everyone should make the effort, even if it is $25.. All you have to do is contribute what you can afford. As we can see here, many people who jump up and comment on a thread like this one are the same people who already have a firm rationale to justify why they won't contribute. Many of the same people behave here as if the Universirty of Kentucky has an obligation to entertain them, but they do not see this as a two-way street. Those people should be embarrassed, but some people are hard to embarrass.

Dear God. I’ve seen some insane posts on this board, but wow.

Then we have Stoops asking for money...I have always supported him but man that was some low class sh*t imo. He probably could have worded it better as it came across really poorly.
I think it was a spur of the moment comment made out of frustration that I’d bet he regrets having made. Definitely a bad look, but was he wrong? I saw the list of the top 100 NIL compensated football players and none of them played for Kentucky.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
The Stoops comment got me wondering how many here give to UK’s NIL.

I will start out and say no; and I don’t see myself ever wanting to give directly to NIL.
I've had several season for going on 40 years. Payed some Kfund parking,etc. I've done my share.

Reactions: gojvc
I don't think NIL is a bad idea at all. It just isn't regulated and that's a bad idea.

There should be no issue with a player making money signing autographs or finding their own sponsorships through an agent, manager or lawyer.

That isn't what this is now though. This is pay for play. Those are two different things entirely. These guys are just getting handed bags of money like they always were but now it is "legal".
It was a pathetic idea because no thought went into it. It was hatched from bleeding hearts crying in remorse that kids destined to get rich couldn’t get rich a year sooner. Then greedy fans latched on to it thinking they could finally buy players. Then it spread like a cancer with no forethought on management. Then more bleeding hearts jumped in and said these poor little rich boys should be able to play for any team they like and the bastardized portal was born.

The outcome is the corrupted uncontrolled semiprofessional circus that is playing out now. Players go to the highest bidder. Coaches are salesmen first. Colleges wallow in a quagmire of limited controls and slavering boosters with no self controls.

College basketball is stone cold dead. Now we have something else. It’s pathetic, contrived and corrupt. But hey. The poor little rich boys are rich a year earlier. The bleeding hearts feel less guilty now.

I gave a one time 50 buck contribution. Plan on doing that once a year.
You wanna compete with Ga and Bama then pony up some money. I'm sure their fanbase is.
If you dont, then quit complaining about Stoops because we don't have the $$$ to buy the horses to compete.
Stoops coulda said it better but he is right.
Put up or shut up.
That sounds like bullshit excuses. There's a lot of teams with top end talent that is average year after year. Florida st and Miami is 2 of them for the past decade. If ponying up was all it took those teams would always be great. Then you have some coaches that turn programs around in 2 years with top 20 recruiting classes. At some point you gotta look yourself in the mirror and ask why it's not happening here. I believe our staff has recruited on a level good enough to get over the hump and we continue to look middle of the pack. Let's be honest, if Florida hadn't happened, who would be optimistic right now? It's been brutal football. Florida hadn't won on the road much in 3/4 seasons so there's that ..

That sounds like bullshit excuses. There's a lot of teams with top end talent that is average year after year. Florida st and Miami is 2 of them for the past decade. If ponying up was all it took those teams would always be great. Then you have some coaches that turn programs around in 2 years with top 20 recruiting classes. At some point you gotta look yourself in the mirror and ask why it's not happening here. I believe our staff has recruited on a level good enough to get over the hump and we continue to look middle of the pack. Let's be honest, if Florida hadn't happened, who would be optimistic right now? It's been brutal football. Florida hadn't won on the road much in 3/4 seasons so there's that ..
Hilarious. You just proved my point with your cluelessness.
Have you checked the top 25 lately?? Florida State is ranked #4 and Miami is in the top 25. Before NIL kicked in those two teams were languishing in obscurity over the last 10 to 20 years.
Florida State hadn't even been ranked since 2017. Miami hasn't been a factor in college football for 20 years.
Now suddenly they are being revived and possibly competing for titles again?? Hmmmm...... wonder what's changed?
You think UK has anywhere near the $$$$ that flows into those schools available? Stoops is doing a hellava job with the $$$ he has in a poor cheap azz state like Kentucky.
The only reason Florida is not achieving is because of doing exactly what you're proposing.....getting rid of their coaches and not establishing any continuity.
Stoops is the best thing that's ever happened to UK football and you're too blind to see it.
Btw...it takes more than 2 years to build a football team that can compete for titles in the SEC.

Reactions: CatsFanIL

Exactly. It's a game played by now rich 18 to 22 year Olds. I want UK to win the national title in every sport but isn't realistic.

I saw a guy say he would maybe contribute to football but what's the ROI? Will it guarantee a SEC title game appearance, playoff appearance or national title? Stoops has shown nothing pre NIL or post NIL to make me think he is a good enough coach to accomplish those things.

As I said earlier, basketball has so many wealthy alumni no average fan should have to contribute. And again, what's the ROI? Cal has shown me nothing to think he can make another final four run.

Reactions: bigbluedon
OT: I’m a UK Alum and Love UK sports, but I just don’t understand the mindset being wealthy alumnus and giving money to the sports program because I want to be attached to a winner somehow

It was a pathetic idea because no thought went into it. It was hatched from bleeding hearts crying in remorse that kids destined to get rich couldn’t get rich a year sooner. Then greedy fans latched on to it thinking they could finally buy players. Then it spread like a cancer with no forethought on management. Then more bleeding hearts jumped in and said these poor little rich boys should be able to play for any team they like and the bastardized portal was born.

The outcome is the corrupted uncontrolled semiprofessional circus that is playing out now. Players go to the highest bidder. Coaches are salesmen first. Colleges wallow in a quagmire of limited controls and slavering boosters with no self controls.

College basketball is stone cold dead. Now we have something else. It’s pathetic, contrived and corrupt. But hey. The poor little rich boys are rich a year earlier. The bleeding hearts feel less guilty now.
I hate to break it to you, but players have been going to the highest bidder for years, even decades

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT