ADVERTISEMENT

Do you chip in for NIL at UK?

Do you chip in for NIL at UK

• Yes

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 150 90.9%

• Total voters
I’m not sure the average fan contributes much anywhere. If I ever did contribute it would be from my business which I’m sure is par for the course most places.

That’s really not how NIL works.

But I, and my partners, do use a player’s name and image for advertising part of our horse business.

One of my partners in another business makes a big ass contribution. 😆

Reactions: Texcat59
I am just the kind of psycho who would give $200/year towards this at least. But it would have to be for Kentucky basketball, what I grew up loving.

Not gonna make my response into a gripe list but there are certain things that are easy enough to change that the powers that be would have to change in order to see that money from me. And it’s not all Cal, either. For the past several years and to save face and pacify the woke monster, Capilouto has the Black Student Union getting a vote on all hires within the athletic department. Only the Black Student Union. That’s BS. That’s racist. My two very best friends are black. But zero of my friends are racist. So either take away that student group’s arbitrary vote, or also give some arbitrary votes to other student groups. I don’t even care which ones, just at least make some half-assed effort to at least pretend to try and convince me you’re not a vicious racist living your entire life in opposition to everything the Reverend Dr. Martin Luthor King, Jr. lived and died for. Then you can have my money.

The median income is 55k. And that's highly skewed towards the major urban areas. Not many people in the rural areas are pulling that. What's hurting everyone's wallet is rent and food. Which is of course the two basic things people need.
For those on retirement like myself it is even harder. We did not make that kind of income when we were working.

For those on retirement like myself it is even harder. We did not make that kind of income when we were working.

Couldn't agree more. My mom is a retired teacher and gets her pension but no 401k or SS draw to my knowledge.

Dad gets SS and has a 401K fallback.

He recently was diagnosed with a non-immediate life threatening condition. Medication is $600 per month with insurance. WTF?

This country caters to the rich and robs the poor.

Then we have Stoops asking for money...I have always supported him but man that was some low class sh*t imo. He probably could have worded it better as it came across really poorly.

NIL was a bad idea from the start.

I don't think NIL is a bad idea at all. It just isn't regulated and that's a bad idea.

There should be no issue with a player making money signing autographs or finding their own sponsorships through an agent, manager or lawyer.

That isn't what this is now though. This is pay for play. Those are two different things entirely. These guys are just getting handed bags of money like they always were but now it is "legal".

NIL was a bad idea from the start.
Not a bad idea per se. Just the way it's been implemented. NCAA could've fixed this years ago when a few student athletes were just asking for a royalty on merch sales (completely reasonable btw). But noooooo. They brushed them off and now here we are.

I don't think NIL is a bad idea at all. It just isn't regulated and that's a bad idea.

There should be no issue with a player making money signing autographs or finding their own sponsorships through an agent, manager or lawyer.

That isn't what this is now though. This is pay for play. Those are two different things entirely. These guys are just getting handed bags of money like they always were but now it is "legal".
This.

I always though that it should be fine for them to make money off their name & likeness but have it put away in a fund where upon graduation/leaving athletics/injury, etc they could access it.

What we have now is an anything goes wild west. That's not sustainable. I mean there's talk now of HIGH SCHOOL students drawing 6 figures. Insanity.

Nope. This was sold as "Johnny should be able to sign autographs for money" and has morphed into a monster. Grievance mongers and people who couldn't see past the end of their nose got behind it. I've been a hard core fan for 50 years but I'd walk away before I'd donate to NIL.

I think the best thing UK can do is promote the business that support NIL and encourage fans to shop for their goods and services.

You might not be able to buy a Ford, but you could get your oil changed there and in the customer survey mention their NIL support to UK as the reason

I mean, that really is how this is supposed to work if you want broad based support for all the athletes and not just a handful of stars

I think that approach also keeps the Philanthropy and KFund in tact and doesn't have them competing with NIL money.

Like many others, I'm not going to give directly to the NIL as an individual, but my family has given to the KFund and Philanthropy over the years and we want that to continue in some form

Last edited:
Reactions: Aike
I gave a one time 50 buck contribution. Plan on doing that once a year.
You wanna compete with Ga and Bama then pony up some money. I'm sure their fanbase is.
If you dont, then quit complaining about Stoops because we don't have the $$$ to buy the horses to compete.
Stoops coulda said it better but he is right.
Put up or shut up.

I gave a one time 50 buck contribution. Plan on doing that once a year.
You wanna compete with Ga and Bama then pony up some money. I'm sure their fanbase is.
If you dont, then quit complaining about Stoops because we don't have the $$$ to buy the horses to compete.
Stoops coulda said it better but he is right.
Put up or shut up.
I just find it crazy. Fans are expected to pay absurd tix prices, get tv packages deals like the SECN to watch games, and now pony up money to pay players. In an era where players can bolt at any minute or sit on the bench and refuse to play.

Kind of funny how some have acted like fans don’t matter to a program, but now all the sudden if we aren’t paying more money we’re the problem. Not directing that at you, just the general vibe around it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT