ADVERTISEMENT

DJ will be out for "weeks?"

I don't think we're a first round out team. And if it ends up that way, I don't see how Cal survives it.
Oh, the papaw's and grandma's that watch the Louisville games will be fine with it, and Barney won't say a word about it. The only way we're NOT a first round out team is if Calipari stops with his plow horse offense, and that ain't happening.

Les Miserables
happy clap your hands GIF by Super Simple

I knew he wasn't playing today because of Cal's history, but the whole "weeks" thing sounds crazy. There's no game for a whole 7 days.

Oh, the papaw's and grandma's that watch the Louisville games will be fine with it, and Barney won't say a word about it. The only way we're NOT a first round out team is if Calipari stops with his plow horse offense, and that ain't happening.
Three straight early exits in the tourney would not sit well with even the most high of of UK fans.

Three straight early exits in the tourney would not sit well with even the most high of of UK fans.
I'm apathetic with Cal. Because he loves "showcasing" his draft picks and because he loves his rock fights, I just expect an early round loss. He's unwilling to do the right thing and bench guys who for whatever reason are not doing their fair share, and he couldn't bench them anyway because he doesn't develop any depth on his rosters. I so want him to get roasted. I'm ashamed that a team like UK plays 3 guys off the bench when we have SEVEN whom could have gotten minutes. If a guy like Edwards is hacking up one ill-advised shot after another or not playing hard on both ends of the court then sit someone without stars beside their name. I'm sure someone will come along and say "we couldn't play those guys, this was UNCW and we were in the fight of our lives.

I don't think we're a first round out team. And if it ends up that way, I don't see how Cal survives it.
Geez we re headed to a 5 seed at this rate maybe worse. That will put us in a dangerous matchup first round. I don’t want to think it either but we are losing to St. Peter’s uncwillington at home types anything is possible

I get it but people did this with Cason Wallace last year and he returned . Some said Bradshaw wouldn’t play and he suited up today .

I don’t even see why Cal would be protecting Wagner considering he started to play good at the time of his injury . I mean we saw the kid get hurt on the drive . Also the one recruit besides Reed that never mentioned the NBA when asked why he chose Kentucky is DJ Wagner . I think he truly wants to win .
We saw the player appear to be hurt. There is a difference between being hurt and injured. There is no doubt that Wagner was hurt; but that doesn't mean that he is injured to the point of not being able to play.

Lol all I’m saying is folks don’t have to be dramatic . And don’t get me started on people acting like injuries only happen at Kentucky. I don’t think fans here pay attention to teams outside of Kentucky . It’s become obvious
Wrong my friend. Some people have to be dramatic, sensationalist, and whiney. It is part of our nature.

hope DJ is OK And back for Penn!

Reactions: shaudyshaud
5 Star - check. Possible Lotto pick - check.

As part of Cal's strategy with these guys, injuries, of any kind, must be handled carefully. Absolutely no risks will be taken that could negatively impact an NBA career or make Cal appear liable down the road in any way. That's why recovery times are so long, and why everyone is kept guessing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuhldaddy
How he survives it is his buyout is still $30 million dollars, and we don’t have that to fire him. I’m sick of him too but the ‘fire cal’ people need to live in reality. We can’t afford to fire him for at least 2-3 more years thanks to Mitch. He’ll be the coach unless he wants to leave.

Geez we re headed to a 5 seed at this rate maybe worse. That will put us in a dangerous matchup first round. I don’t want to think it either but we are losing to St. Peter’s uncwillington at home types anything is possible
Probably a bit extreme. This team showed us a lot more up until yesterday. I'm hopeful it was just a one-off and that'll be our last "bad" game for a while, at least a bad game when the other team is hitting everything and getting the majority of the calls from the refs. I think we still have plenty of room for a 2 seed, and maybe a 1, assuming we win the games we're supposed to win and end up with 4 or fewer losses. I say this because there will be a TON of teams with 4-8 losses this year in the top 25. The NIL, transfer portal and other aspects of college basketball these days means very few teams will go into March with 1-2 losses like the old days.

And to those saying that team did what we did to Miami - ran us off the three point line, I disagree. We had more than enough open shots, we just chose to either miss a bunch, or drive into two and three defenders. UNCW always collapsed and our guards had no real idea where to go with the ball once they were smothered and realized they made a bad decision.

Had Edwards hit just two of his 3-pointers, and Reeves came to play from deep, we'd have at least had this game by a few points. Nothing you can do when a 26% 3-point shooting guy hits everything (White), and then Phillips and White were making all sorts of fadeaway midrange jumpers - shots they likely don't make that much. Oh, and their big guy who's hit THREE 3-pointers all year drains one from the corner.

Bottom line is, this team cannot snooze on any team. That's on Cal for not getting them ready, especially after I'm sure their egos were a mile high after the Miami beating. Up next, Penn, then UNC and UL. We have to win out all of these games in December, especially UNC, who I think will enter the top 10 due to all of the other teams losing and their hot play of late (we'll probably stay at around 12 as the voters will assume yesterday was an outlier), and go into SEC play in January ready to fight.

Getting upset about people not risking their health for strangers' enjoyment.

Did you expect anything else with our recent injuries. Pretty sure one of our guys could stubborn their toe and go missing half the year.

Reactions: gharding07
Bizzare situation. Trainers came out and told his family he was fine. Matt Jones said he was fine (lol). But what else is new. Wagner could shut it down and no one would ever know. Cal would keep it locked down.
How is it bizarre? He sprained his ankle and could barely walk on it. Fine to me means no broken bones that would end his season. Fine means no surgery. It was obvious it was at LEAST a sprained ankle.

So you think he’s faking an injury ?
I’m not who you quoted, but here’s my 2 cents. I wouldn’t go as far as to say he’s faking an injury…yet. But, it’s a little fishy when local media & everyone else (that I heard, anyway) says that Wagner is fine & that sitting against UNCW was precautionary, only to hear the game announcer say that he’ll be out for “weeks”. Maybe the announcer misspoke. Or, maybe he was told something that the fans weren’t. Either way, It’s a damn shame that we even have to worry about it & can’t take news like this at face value.

I heard the broadcaster say that during the game today.

WTF kind of medical team do we have at UK? What happened, did he get bitten by a brown recluse or something?
Arron Rodgers a 40 year old man tears his Achilles & in only 11 weeks he's back at practice. Around here under Calipari 19 & 20 year old athletes are out that long with a sprained ankle.

I heard the broadcaster say that during the game today.

WTF kind of medical team do we have at UK? What happened, did he get bitten by a brown recluse or something?
Meanwhile, guys like JEFF Sheppard played and played well through injuries. It's just a different era.

Probably a bit extreme. This team showed us a lot more up until yesterday. I'm hopeful it was just a one-off and that'll be our last "bad" game for a while, at least a bad game when the other team is hitting everything and getting the majority of the calls from the refs. I think we still have plenty of room for a 2 seed, and maybe a 1, assuming we win the games we're supposed to win and end up with 4 or fewer losses. I say this because there will be a TON of teams with 4-8 losses this year in the top 25. The NIL, transfer portal and other aspects of college basketball these days means very few teams will go into March with 1-2 losses like the old days.

And to those saying that team did what we did to Miami - ran us off the three point line, I disagree. We had more than enough open shots, we just chose to either miss a bunch, or drive into two and three defenders. UNCW always collapsed and our guards had no real idea where to go with the ball once they were smothered and realized they made a bad decision.

Had Edwards hit just two of his 3-pointers, and Reeves came to play from deep, we'd have at least had this game by a few points. Nothing you can do when a 26% 3-point shooting guy hits everything (White), and then Phillips and White were making all sorts of fadeaway midrange jumpers - shots they likely don't make that much. Oh, and their big guy who's hit THREE 3-pointers all year drains one from the corner.

Bottom line is, this team cannot snooze on any team. That's on Cal for not getting them ready, especially after I'm sure their egos were a mile high after the Miami beating. Up next, Penn, then UNC and UL. We have to win out all of these games in December, especially UNC, who I think will enter the top 10 due to all of the other teams losing and their hot play of late (we'll probably stay at around 12 as the voters will assume yesterday was an outlier), and go into SEC play in January ready to fight.
We lost to a bad team AT HOME! That’s gonna cost us a seed line or 2. And so far what I’ve seen of this team is inconsistent like 2 years ago. Smash ku on the road lose to St. Peter’s as a 2 seed.

We lost to a bad team AT HOME! That’s gonna cost us a seed line or 2. And so far what I’ve seen of this team is inconsistent like 2 years ago. Smash ku on the road lose to St. Peter’s as a 2 seed.
Ok, it's your prerogative to jump off a cliff this early in the season. And UNCW isn't a "bad team", at least they weren't on Saturday.

I'll hold off and see how the rest of the season plays out. Given so many other teams in the top 10 have lost (and often), I think it's a bit premature to flip out about seed lines right now. I predict the #1 seeds this year will be lucky to have less than 5 losses.

Facts -Bradshaw decided to have surgery in June after being injured a couple of months earlier. Initially, they considered him sitting out the season, and let the foot heal on its own. Bradshaw stated in a couple of interviews, he wanted to play for UK, and chose surgery. Calipari said after the surgery in Mid-June, he would be out 6 months... Which puts his return right about now.

Ugo had surgery in Mid-July, Calipari gave the same 6 month recovery timeline. Calipari has stated several times this fall, that Ugo is 2-3 weeks behind Bradshaw. And pre-game Saturday, Calipari said he was days away from starting the same ramp up process Bradshaw started 2 weeks ago.

DJ, you could tell he was hurt as soon as it happened. Lip reading, he said "I broke it bro" at the free throw line. All the saying he is "Fine", is probably true.. in the sense, he didn't tear something, that requires surgery or an extended rehab timeframe.

All injuries and recovery timeframes are different. And we are in a different era, where player protection is at a higher level than 30 years ago. Also, we are early season... no need to rush guys back. I suspect if it was SECT or NCAAT time, guys would probably be back playing sooner.

We have 3 seven footers who haven't played basketball in 6 months... So they are 6 months behind the rest of the team. I know all the injuries suck if you are a UK fan. Our hope is the 3 seven footers and DJ are all hitting their strike in February, early March.. no more injures... and Edwards gets it going...

Only time will tell if the first 7 games, or the game on Saturday is what this team is.

lol, some of you gravitate to the same topics and force them on every situation. It's really predictable. Almost like scripted responses. Kid is injured. Yea, you can criticize Calipari for a lot objectively, but then things like this really hurt your credibility.

but but Shadeon Sharpe.

Reactions: Graham51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT