ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo update

No, not really.
So you've never ran into Ramel Bradley and given him tips on how to run a fast paste offence?

What about buying UK gear from a guy in an Applebee's parking lot?

Has anyone ever found Donna Smith?
street_fighter_ii_snes_hadoken.jpg

[winking] [laughing] (Yes, I've been here off and on WAYYYY too long. Lol.)
This is just for grins. Wednesday (tomorrow) is the deadline. We'll all know by then. [cheers]

Reactions: awf and brianpoe
Not a ton of stars in this draft but very solid players who would be good late picks.

The one thing I think many are overlooking is with these multi-pick teams.

Teams with multiple picks rarely use them on US kids - 3 new players are not making the team and the NBA doesnt want to pay 3 years of 1st round money to players who will spend a minimum of 1-2 years in the DLeague.

Multi-pick teams = draft and stash foreigners

Example:

Celtics - 8 players drafted in 2016

Only #3 and #45 pick made the team (and Jackson was a surprise also he's been a D Leaguer most of the year, only played in 5 games this season with Boston).

#16, #23, #28 - stashed.

#31 and #35 - traded.

#51 cut in preseason.

In the 2016 NBA Draft, after picking Jaylen Brown, Boston drafted Guerschon Yabusele with the 16th pick of the first round, Ante Zizic with the 23rd pick of the first round and Abdel Nadir with the 28th pick of the second round (58th overall).

Boston also drafted Deyonta Davis and Rade Zagorac and traded both to Memphis for a future 1st round pick, as well as Demetrius Jackson and Ben Bentil. Jackson made the Celtics out of camp and has shuttled between Boston and Maine in the NBA Development League all year. Bentil was cut towards the end of the pre-season.

Last edited:
So you've never ran into Ramel Bradley and given him tips on how to run a fast paste offence?

What about buying UK gear from a guy in an Applebee's parking lot?

Has anyone ever found Donna Smith?
street_fighter_ii_snes_hadoken.jpg

[winking] [laughing] (Yes, I've been here off and on WAYYYY too long. Lol.)
This is just for grins. Wednesday (tomorrow) is the deadline. We'll all know by then. [cheers]

Never ran into Ramel but I ran into Rex Chapman and gave him advice on shooting.

Didn't buy UK gear in an Applebee's parking lot but I once bought gear at a drive in movie theatre.

Didn't find Donna but I found Katherine Hall.

I just post from what I hear from fellow scouts who were at his workouts. You don't have to read it, I won't mind

Not a ton of stars in this draft but very solid players who would be good late picks.

The one thing I think many are overlooking is with these multi-pick teams.

Teams with multiple picks rarely use them on US kids - 3 new players are not making the team and the NBA doesnt want to pay 3 years of 1st round money to players who will spend a minimum of 1-2 years in the DLeague.

Multi-pick teams = draft and stash foreigners

Example:

Celtics - 8 players drafted in 2016

Only #3 and #45 pick made the team (and Jackson was a surprise also he's been a D Leaguer most of the year, only played in 5 games this season with Boston).

#16, #23, #28 - stashed.

#31 and #35 - traded.

#51 cut in preseason.

In the 2016 NBA Draft, after picking Jaylen Brown, Boston drafted Guerschon Yabusele with the 16th pick of the first round, Ante Zizic with the 23rd pick of the first round and Abdel Nadir with the 28th pick of the second round (58th overall).

Boston also drafted Deyonta Davis and Rade Zagorac and traded both to Memphis for a future 1st round pick, as well as Demetrius Jackson and Ben Bentil. Jackson made the Celtics out of camp and has shuttled between Boston and Maine in the NBA Development League all year. Bentil was cut towards the end of the pre-season.

Excellent post. This is exactly what happened last year in a fairly week draft. Remember all the hype about how great Skal was doing in workouts last year? Seems like it was even thought he could slip into the lottery.

Instead, teams start picking these foreign players and Cal starts working the phones frantically. He knew what was going on. I think the Skal camp went into the camp highly confident of being mid-first round, and that didn't happen.

Diallo may be a great athlete, but I just can't see a team locking in first round money on a kid who can't shoot and who they've only seen play against high school competition. Especially when you have great shooters and proven winners like Frank Mason and Tyler Dorsey locked into the second round, or another great athlete who can shoot in Frank Jackson going in the second round.

Reactions: awf and brianpoe
Uh, no. The second he returns, if he returns, the hand-wringing pants-pissers will be sniffing his jock like it is heavenly nectar. The trolls -- and that is the majority of those attacking him -- will move on to something else, because they know Kentucky just got stronger.
But what will they have to Bitch about? Maybe, those of us that have been positive can find something for them to do like wash our cars, do work around our house, they could just go away never to return or they could do us all a favor and put themselves out of their own misery and leave forever.

But what will they have to Bitch about? Maybe, those of us that have been positive can find something for them to do like wash our cars, do work around our house, they could just go away never to return or they could do us all a favor and put themselves out of their own misery and leave forever.

I am positive you have not been positive. (Only fools are positive.-C. Q. Link)

Can you name me one time in history someone went from being a late first round pick one year to being a top 3 pick the next year.

I dont think there is anyway Diallo will ever be a top 3 pick next year. Some people are setting their expectations way too high for this kid.

1- 1-FULTZ-
2-BALL-
3-JACKSON

Not one of these kids that would have enrolled at the university's and did what Diallo did would have been drafted that high in this years draft- so there you go - Diallo is the real deal - I hope we get to see him in Rupp this year !

I love John Wayne but sometimes you test my loyalty.

Dude; I have tried to be lighthearted in my ribbing of you. Either way I do not care what you perceive yourself to be, I did not treat you with disrespect. I enjoy having a good time when I can have a good time as long as I am not hurting anyone. If you had any ability to enjoy or even understand frivolous interactions I thought for sure you'd understand the reference to the Three Stooges.(Stated your perceived age. I derived you are not a youngster.)

I determined anyone of our near ages would have enjoyed a reference to Curly Q. Link of the Three Stooges (That was a famed sketch in their skits referencing being positive and a fool.) and figured you'd immediately know I was just messing with you.

I assure you I will not make that mistake again. Be Good

An aside; If anyone's loyalty to John Wayne and his memory can be tested they are not much of a fan anyway...jmsao

Last edited:
Reactions: awf
Dude; I have tried to be lighthearted in my ribbing of you. Either way I do not care what you perceive yourself to be, I did not treat you with disrespect. I enjoy having a good time when I can have a good time as long as I am not hurting anyone. If you had any ability to enjoy or even understand frivolous interactions I thought for sure you'd understand the reference to the Three Stooges.(Stated your perceived age. I derived you are not a youngster.)

I determined anyone of our near ages would have enjoyed a reference to Curly Q. Link of the Three Stooges (That was a famed sketch in their skits referencing being positive and a fool.) and figured you'd immediately know I was just messing with you.

I assure you I will not make that mistake again. Be Good
Since there is no other place around the place this must be the place ,I reckon.

Reactions: awf and BBUK
This may be headed to midnight. I hope the fax machines at UK are online
Do you recall anyone wanting/trying harder to leave than Diallo? What can he learn or be told on the last day that he doesn't already know? This is uncharted territory even for Cal and his players first approach.

Do you recall anyone wanting/trying harder to leave than Diallo? What can he learn or be told on the last day that he doesn't already know? This is uncharted territory even for Cal and his players first approach.

Depends on how much of what has been reported is true. It was first reported that he would leave for a guaranteed contract regardless of draft position, then he wanted a first round guarantee, and lastly he wanted a top 20 guarantee. If the last is true, he certainly is not trying hard to leave. Much of what is at the root of attacks on Diallo isn't even coming from Diallo himself, but media outlets. Yet we choose to form an opinion about his intentions and such based on those, and people begin attacking. Now those feelings that lead people to the attacking could one day be justified (via information coming out about him telling Cal he would either play or would for sure return should he go).

But shouldn't we be thrilled that the kid required a top 20 guarantee to stay in the draft? There have certainly been a lot of other players leave that didn't require as much.

Maybe he's trying to negotiate a one year European contract.

Depends on how much of what has been reported is true. It was first reported that he would leave for a guaranteed contract regardless of draft position, then he wanted a first round guarantee, and lastly he wanted a top 20 guarantee. If the last is true, he certainly is not trying hard to leave. Much of what is at the root of attacks on Diallo isn't even coming from Diallo himself, but media outlets. Yet we choose to form an opinion about his intentions and such based on those, and people begin attacking. Now those feelings that lead people to the attacking could one day be justified (via information coming out about him telling Cal he would either play or would for sure return should he go).

But shouldn't we be thrilled that the kid required a top 20 guarantee to stay in the draft? There have certainly been a lot of other players leave that didn't require as much.
Agree,but there has been so much conflicting information or misinformation (even Cal has given mixed signals about where things stand.It seems fairly clear that the scouts aren't sold on his skills at this point but he is holding off making a decision until the last possible hour.If there are issues still in play at this point it is hard to see a top 20 spot still on the table.

In this day no one should put too much credence into what is reported. They write stories first and check for facts later. Maybe the kid's mind has been made up for a week or so? Maybe he is just staying on the ride till it ends.......

Agreed on all counts. Many UK fans don't deserve the players we get.

Agree,but there has been so much conflicting information or misinformation (even Cal has given mixed signals about where things stand.It seems fairly clear that the scouts aren't sold on his skills at this point but he is holding off making a decision until the last possible hour.If there are issues still in play at this point it is hard to see a top 20 spot still on the table.

He could be still talking to those teams in the 15-20 range to try to get a guarantee. Or as another poster has said, maybe he has known for weeks and is just delaying making the decision public. To this point, much of the problem has been people just guessing what is in the kid's head. To be fair, we really have no knowledge of his decision process.

Reactions: westerncat

Bam
Briscoe
Humphries
Skal
Teague
Goodwin
Twins
Dakari

All of them, to name a few, left without guaranteed first round pick. At least Diallo is trying to make sure he gets a guaranteed 3 yr contract. These guys didn't do that.

Maybe the kids is truly torn with the possibility of getting his mom out of the projects and allowing her not to work multiple jobs vs keeping her in the projects for one more year.

Wish some people tried being more empathetic and seeing the whole picture

Diallo isn't trying so hard to leave, he can easily leave and get drafted

Diallo is trying so hard to make the best decision for him and his mother

Bam
Briscoe
Humphries
Skal
Teague
Goodwin
Twins
Dakari

All of them, to name a few, left without guaranteed first round pick. At least Diallo is trying to make sure he gets a guaranteed 3 yr contract. These guys didn't do that.

Maybe the kids is truly torn with the possibility of getting his mom out of the projects and allowing her not to work multiple jobs vs keeping her in the projects for one more year.

Wish some people tried being more empathetic and seeing the whole picture

Diallo isn't trying so hard to leave, he can easily leave and get drafted

Diallo is trying so hard to make the best decision for him and his mother

Are you sure he comes from that kind of background? If so, I can understand his thought process.

Watch his documentary, he seems like a really nice kid, definitely from the projects and says his mom works multiple jobs

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Can you name me one time in history someone went from being a late first round pick one year to being a top 3 pick the next year.

I dont think there is anyway Diallo will ever be a top 3 pick next year. Some people are setting their expectations way too high for this kid.

Uhmmmmmmmm, Andrew Bogut? He was projected mid-late first round by many after his freshman year, returned for his sophomore season and became the #1 pick in the NBA draft...

ADVERTISEMENT